|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Haley states in Chapter 2 that a pattern involving a built-in need for making changes and adjustments is part of what?
(a) The phase of bearing children.
(b) The phase of old age.
(c) The phase of adolescence.
(d) The phase of marriage.
2. In one scenario in Chapter 5, Erickson was ignorant in matters of baby gender prediction, but he did recommend _____ to avert disaster.
3. In some cases, Erickson offers patients the option to make more complete changes in a shorter time span. In these cases, he assures them that they can, but the greater the transformation, the greater the _________ associated with the changes that will be facilitated by hypnosis.
(a) Psychological shock.
4. Which technique is rooted in two ideas: that at least many unconscious motives are beneficial and that positive reinforcement is most effective in influencing behavior?
(a) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(b) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(c) "Seeding Ideas".
(d) "Encouraging Resistance".
5. Harold's experience with his first relationship was so good that he voluntarily reconsidered his own views and chose to do what?
(a) Pursue women.
(b) Have children.
(c) Have a sex change.
(d) Pursue men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under which heading of Chapter 1 does it state that therapy now helps patients make changes without any focus on understanding why the previous behavior had existed?
2. One of the most prominent facts about Chapter 5 is that what early in a marriage are a common and readily treatable problem?
3. There may be fears, insecurities and inadequacies involved, but Erickson is not so interested in these or in explaining all about the shortcomings to the client, but rather Erickson focuses on helping the client to work towards what?
4. Erickson typically conducts therapy with the goal of keeping a couple together except for two types of case: one, if the couple feels the marriage was a mistake, and second, in the event that the marriage does what?
5. The amnesia seems to be for the purpose of helping the clients themselves to be able to feel as if he has not done what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
2. What is one example in which Erickson recommends divorce in Chapter 5?
3. What does Haley say regarding the cycle of "Marriage and Its Consequences"?
4. What does Jay Haley remark about Erickson's contribution to the progression of psychotherapy in the beginning of the book?
5. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
6. How did Erickson use positive reinforcement in the asthmatic patient example from Chapter 3?
7. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
8. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
9. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
10. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)