|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harold would finally happen into a heterosexual relationship with whom?
(a) An older woman neighbor.
(b) His best friend.
(c) The woman Erickson introduced him to.
(d) His sister's friend.
2. Which title from Chapter 1 is also used for negative reinforcement and as a means to redirect patients?
(a) "Encouraging Resistance".
(b) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(c) "Providing a Worse Alternative".
(d) "Emphasizing the Positive".
3. Under which heading in Chapter 2 does Haley explain that what occurs here is that couples are faced with dynamic challenges?
(a) "Childbirth and Dealing with the Young".
(b) "Marriage and its Consequences".
(c) "Extension of Family".
(d) "Premeditated Childbirth".
4. Under which heading does Haley address the final stages of life?
(a) "Retirement and Old Age".
(b) "Growing Old".
(c) "Weaning Parents from Children".
(d) "When I'm 64".
5. A fear of women that had been troubling Erickson's client in Chapter 3 was overcome but Erickson never even discussed that fear with this client, as the problem was solved through his what?
(a) Direct approach.
(c) Indirect approach.
(d) Quitting smoking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson does not tell Harold there is anything wrong with _________; he tells Harold that he wants to put Harold into a position to be open to changing or keeping his ideas about himself.
2. Which technique is rooted in two ideas: that at least many unconscious motives are beneficial and that positive reinforcement is most effective in influencing behavior?
3. Therapy is meant to facilitate the transition of a person from the situation of being a child into being what?
4. In one example in Chapter 3, a client's intense fear is eventually overcome by Erickson's encouragement and relating to the patient's _____.
5. Erickson typically conducts therapy with the goal of keeping a couple together except for two types of case: one, if the couple feels the marriage was a mistake, and second, in the event that the marriage does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
2. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
3. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
4. How long does the therapy process last working with Erickson?
5. How does Haley describe Erickson's approach to adolescents in Chapter 3?
6. Discuss Erickson's methods of frustration, space, and emphasizing the positive.
7. How do Erickson's techniques vary with different clients?
8. With the daughter who is in the accident and whose parents are obsessive, what does Erickson discover?
9. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
10. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)