|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where additional education is needed, Erickson recommends it; for instance, _________ can educate girls whose mothers or other older women did not properly train in make up or fashion.
(a) Professional beauty assistants.
(c) Sisters and cousins.
(d) Aunts or cousins.
2. When children have left home and can no longer "be used to ___________," the parents are often confronted with each other in a different way.
(a) "Communicate between the parents".
(b) "Facilitate the family unit".
(c) "Communicate with siblings".
(d) "Facilitate domination".
3. Under which heading of Chapter 1 does it state that therapy now helps patients make changes without any focus on understanding why the previous behavior had existed?
(a) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(b) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(c) "Awakening and Disengagement".
(d) "Encouraging Resistance".
4. Which technique is also part of intentional hypnotic conditioning (here it is observed that uniformly siding with one family member and the creating of factions by the therapist is discouraged)?
(a) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(b) "Encouraging Resistance".
(c) "Amnesia and Control of Information".
(d) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
5. Under which heading of Chapter 1 is it stated that Erickson emphasized both the autonomy and togetherness of family members?
(a) "Awakening and Disengagement".
(b) "Encouraging Resistance".
(c) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(d) "Emphasizing the Positive".
Short Answer Questions
1. Once he overcomes the severe effects of the poverty of his childhood, Harold manages to develop a new habit of __________.
2. Often enough, if the woman did not have a good experience with what from the beginning would she seek an annulment of the marriage?
3. One marital trouble that can occur was exemplified in Chapter 5 as the case of a young wife with a _____ hand.
4. Erickson's type of reinforcement in the example in Chapter 3 was incredibly effective and the _____ fell from the forefront into the background of the client's life.
5. Hypnosis is described as a special way of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Haley say regarding the cycle of "Marriage and Its Consequences"?
2. How does Erickson approach the sexual orientation of the client in Chapter 4?
3. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
4. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
5. Discuss Erickson's methods of frustration, space, and emphasizing the positive.
6. Give an example of a case where trance was used by Erickson in Chapter 5.
7. When was hypnosis introduced to the psychiatric community and why?
8. What is Haley's description of "Middle Marriage Difficulties"?
9. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
10. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)