|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which heading in Chapter 1 cultivates a response until a goal is reached?
(a) "Encouraging Resistance".
(b) "Amplifying a Deviation".
(c) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(d) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
2. Haley writes that the majority of the young adults who the therapist meets with do want to ____.
(b) Get an education.
3. In Chapter 4, it becomes apparent over time that Harold is a very _______ worker.
(a) Dedicated but uneducated.
(c) Diligent and good.
4. Often enough, if the woman did not have a good experience with what from the beginning would she seek an annulment of the marriage?
(a) With respect.
(b) With romance.
(c) With children.
(d) With sex.
5. Once he overcomes the severe effects of the poverty of his childhood, Harold manages to develop a new habit of __________.
(a) Going to nice dinners.
(b) Dressing himself well.
(c) Working out.
(d) Asking guests to his house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which heading in Chapter 1 has the most hypnotic focus?
2. During the 1950s, there was still debate about what in psychotherapy?
3. The period of adolescence that often closely predates major mating activity is one of the most important times for people to do what?
4. The need to help the growing youths integrate into the community life without insufficient or excessive ________ is important throughout and continues when people have become parents.
5. Which heading in Chapter 1 is shown to help work out residual resistance to desirable changes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
2. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
3. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
4. How does Erickson use an indirect method of treatment in the example of the young man who feared women from Chapter 3?
5. What are the first two descriptions of Erickson's techniques in Chapter 1?
6. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
7. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
8. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
9. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)