|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Erickson _____________, he then keeps out of that friendship so that it takes its own natural course.
(a) Arranges for a client to contact parental figures.
(b) Sets up interviews with other clients.
(c) Sets up a date.
(d) Helps a patient to establish contact.
2. Once he overcomes the severe effects of the poverty of his childhood, Harold manages to develop a new habit of __________.
(a) Asking guests to his house.
(b) Dressing himself well.
(c) Working out.
(d) Going to nice dinners.
3. Hypnosis is described as a special way of _______.
(a) Administering help.
(b) Brain washing.
4. Erickson does not tell Harold there is anything wrong with _________; he tells Harold that he wants to put Harold into a position to be open to changing or keeping his ideas about himself.
(a) His emotions.
(b) His sexual orientation
(c) His intellect.
(d) His appearance.
5. Erickson's type of reinforcement in the example in Chapter 3 was incredibly effective and the _____ fell from the forefront into the background of the client's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson's use of intentional forms of amnesia as part of the trance is done in order to _________ and to empower individuals to make certain changes.
2. It is stated in In Chapter 2 that some, but not all, will naturally ________; others will not. This evidently affects the culture.
3. Eventually, through a lengthy process including both success and failure, Erickson gets Harold to complete what?
4. The period of adolescence that often closely predates major mating activity is one of the most important times for people to do what?
5. When Harold has succeeded in school, Erickson persuades him to drop the idea that he is somehow _____ minded.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Haley's description of "Middle Marriage Difficulties"?
2. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
3. What is one example in which Erickson recommends divorce in Chapter 5?
4. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
5. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
6. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
7. How and with whom does Harold end up beginning a relationship with in Chapter 4?
8. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
9. How does Haley describe Erickson's approach to adolescents in Chapter 3?
10. How does Erickson use an indirect method of treatment in the example of the young man who feared women from Chapter 3?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)