|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Often enough, if the woman did not have a good experience with what from the beginning would she seek an annulment of the marriage?
(a) With romance.
(b) With sex.
(c) With respect.
(d) With children.
2. The challenge of the woman with the trembling hand in Chapter 5 was that the wife wanted her husband to do what?
(a) Change careers.
(b) Support her.
(c) Have children.
(d) Get an education.
3. When the client's real need is _______, Erickson goes out of his way to actually artificially create relationships for his patients.
(a) Social contact.
(c) Sexual contact.
4. When children have left home and can no longer "be used to ___________," the parents are often confronted with each other in a different way.
(a) "Communicate with siblings".
(b) "Facilitate domination".
(c) "Communicate between the parents".
(d) "Facilitate the family unit".
5. In what technique does Erickson use trance to release people from deep-seated behavior patterns, some of which have been counter productive or relied upon to reduce fears?
(a) "Frustrating the problem".
(b) "Revision of nature".
(c) "Encouraging a relapse".
(d) "Communicating in metaphor".
Short Answer Questions
1. Under which heading of Chapter 2 does Haley state that children develop their own roles within families and parents face serious changes when they leave?
2. In which situation is it said that new way of finding their equilibrium as a couple is needed?
3. Erickson's use of intentional forms of amnesia as part of the trance is done in order to _________ and to empower individuals to make certain changes.
4. Harold would finally happen into a heterosexual relationship with whom?
5. Erickson addresses Harold's anxieties and hatred about women in a simple way. He ______ a relationship with a woman who teaches him.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
2. How and with whom does Harold end up beginning a relationship with in Chapter 4?
3. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
4. How does Haley describe Erickson's approach to adolescents in Chapter 3?
5. How long does the therapy process last working with Erickson?
6. How did Erickson use positive reinforcement in the asthmatic patient example from Chapter 3?
7. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
8. What is one example in which Erickson recommends divorce in Chapter 5?
9. When was hypnosis introduced to the psychiatric community and why?
10. How does Erickson address Harold's issues with women?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)