|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which heading in Chapter 1 has the most hypnotic focus?
(a) "Encouraging Resistance".
(b) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(c) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(d) "Seeding Ideas".
2. Under which heading of Chapter 2 does Haley state that children develop their own roles within families and parents face serious changes when they leave?
(a) "Leaving the Nest".
(b) "Breaking Apron Springs".
(c) "Retirement and Old Age".
(d) "Weaning Parents From Children".
3. Erickson typically conducts therapy with the goal of keeping a couple together except for two types of case: one, if the couple feels the marriage was a mistake, and second, in the event that the marriage does what?
(a) Puts either or both members of it into danger.
(b) Leads to intense sexual insecurities.
(c) Makes either of the members unhappy.
(d) Leads to problems with children.
4. In one case in Chapter 5, there was competition between the mother and the ______ over mothering the new baby.
(b) Mother's mother.
5. A fear of women that had been troubling Erickson's client in Chapter 3 was overcome but Erickson never even discussed that fear with this client, as the problem was solved through his what?
(b) Quitting smoking.
(c) Direct approach.
(d) Indirect approach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under which heading in Chapter 2 does Haley explain that therapy must take into account the reality of how factors outside the marriage and beyond the individual partners have an affect upon what happens and may contain suggestions and warnings about the way to navigate a set of solutions?
2. Haley explains that there are times when _____ rather than the family of origin are the real source of the problem.
3. If a couple is able to remain civil and reasonably safe and sane in their fighting, Erickson ______.
4. The transition from being a child into being an adult involves ______ of the relational patterns between family members.
5. In one scenario in Chapter 5, Erickson was ignorant in matters of baby gender prediction, but he did recommend _____ to avert disaster.
Short Essay Questions
1. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
2. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
3. What does Haley say regarding the cycle of "Marriage and Its Consequences"?
4. What is one example in which Erickson recommends divorce in Chapter 5?
5. How does Erickson address Harold's issues with women?
6. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
7. What does Erickson feel regarding dissent with a couple in the sessions?
8. How long does the therapy process last working with Erickson?
9. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
10. How does Erickson approach the sexual orientation of the client in Chapter 4?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)