|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The therapist deals with each part of the couple _______, as a general rule.
(b) Separately and together.
(d) As a family unit.
2. Hypnosis is described as a special way of _______.
(b) Brain washing.
(c) Administering help.
3. A prominent concern is a family entanglement in which Harold needs to alter the dynamic with himself and one of his siblings who is one member of what kind of couple?
(a) All answers are correct.
4. A fear of women that had been troubling Erickson's client in Chapter 3 was overcome but Erickson never even discussed that fear with this client, as the problem was solved through his what?
(a) Quitting smoking.
(b) Direct approach.
(d) Indirect approach.
5. The one condition on which Erickson allows couples to fight was that they genuinely seek to what?
(a) Not involve their children in their disputes.
(b) Not speak to the therapist as a third party.
(c) Resolve the disagreement in a conclusive and definitive manner.
(d) Not shout.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which title from Chapter 1 is also used for negative reinforcement and as a means to redirect patients?
2. In which situation is it said that new way of finding their equilibrium as a couple is needed?
3. In Chapter 2, the author notes that among humans, the mating style appears to vary _____.
4. Haley explains that in the most severe cases, Erickson would consider long-term therapy; otherwise, his relationship with clients lasted how long?
5. In one scenario in Chapter 5, Erickson was ignorant in matters of baby gender prediction, but he did recommend _____ to avert disaster.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
2. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
4. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
5. How did Erickson use positive reinforcement in the asthmatic patient example from Chapter 3?
6. What does Erickson feel regarding dissent with a couple in the sessions?
7. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
8. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
9. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
10. How and with whom does Harold end up beginning a relationship with in Chapter 4?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)