|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which title from Chapter 1 shows how indirect communication can be better therapy in some cases?
(a) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(b) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(c) "Encouraging Resistance".
(d) "Causing Change by Communicating in Metaphor".
2. One client in Chapter 5 received therapy for a few months and then simply lost or stuffed down her symptoms and is written of as having _______ since.
(a) Gotten divorced.
(b) Been hospitalized.
(c) Committed suicide.
(d) Behaved normally.
3. Erickson was able to encourage an "Asthmatic Mama's boy" out of the role of sickly and meek and out into the realm of what?
(a) Working in law.
(b) Working in banking.
(c) Working in construction.
(d) Opening a small business.
4. Under which heading of Chapter 1 is it stated that Erickson emphasized both the autonomy and togetherness of family members?
(a) "Encouraging Resistance".
(b) "Awakening and Disengagement".
(c) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(d) "Emphasizing the Positive".
5. Which heading in Chapter 1 is shown to help work out residual resistance to desirable changes?
(a) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(b) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(c) "Encouraging a Relapse".
(d) "Encouraging Resistance".
Short Answer Questions
1. The period of adolescence that often closely predates major mating activity is one of the most important times for people to do what?
2. Under which heading of Chapter 1 does it state that therapy now helps patients make changes without any focus on understanding why the previous behavior had existed?
3. Erickson's use of intentional forms of amnesia as part of the trance is done in order to _________ and to empower individuals to make certain changes.
4. When the client's real need is _______, Erickson goes out of his way to actually artificially create relationships for his patients.
5. Harold would finally happen into a heterosexual relationship with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
2. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What is Haley's assertion of changes occurring in "Childbirth and Dealing with the Young"?
4. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
5. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
6. How does Erickson approach conducting sessions with couples?
7. How long does the therapy process last working with Erickson?
8. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
9. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
10. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)