|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which title from Chapter 1 is also used for negative reinforcement and as a means to redirect patients?
(a) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(b) "Providing a Worse Alternative".
(c) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(d) "Encouraging Resistance".
2. Therapy is meant to facilitate the transition of a person from the situation of being a child into being what?
(a) A functioning adult.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) An independent adult.
(d) A codependent adult.
3. Haley explains that Erickson, in dealing with ______, does not attempt to change their fundamental nature and does not even try to confront the real problem directly.
4. Erickson writes of withholding and sharing information and of how he succeeds in curing a young woman of pain she experiences during ______.
5. Erickson is truthful to the client. This includes acknowledging that the pain or other problem may what?
(a) Involve the pain of others.
(b) Continue for some time.
(c) Never go away.
(d) Become a bigger problem.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson's therapy includes and involves helping the _____ patients to overcome their fears surrounding dating issues.
2. Under which heading does Haley write that the marriage ceremony is actually very important to more than just those who are marrying?
3. It is stated in In Chapter 2 that some, but not all, will naturally ________; others will not. This evidently affects the culture.
4. There may be fears, insecurities and inadequacies involved, but Erickson is not so interested in these or in explaining all about the shortcomings to the client, but rather Erickson focuses on helping the client to work towards what?
5. If a couple is able to remain civil and reasonably safe and sane in their fighting, Erickson ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
2. Discuss Erickson's methods of frustration, space, and emphasizing the positive.
3. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
4. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
5. What are the first two descriptions of Erickson's techniques in Chapter 1?
6. When was hypnosis introduced to the psychiatric community and why?
7. What is one example in which Erickson recommends divorce in Chapter 5?
8. What does Erickson feel regarding dissent with a couple in the sessions?
9. How did Erickson use positive reinforcement in the asthmatic patient example from Chapter 3?
10. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)