|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ says that he should have stolen money from the estate and made himself a better life.
2. __________ tells everyone to leave him alone, that he can't stand being watched over.
3. What does Maria do when she enters the scene after Marina and Sonya come in?
4. ________ comments to Sonya about how miserable he is as they are working together.
5. What does Astrov drink before he finally leaves the estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Astrov believes that places where trees have been well-tended are places where people are more artistic and wise.
Part 1: Why do you think Astrov speculates that well-tended areas of nature produce more artistic and wise people?
Part 2: Do you agree with the observation of Astrov? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think might also have an influence on people, making them more artistic and wise?
Essay Topic 2
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Various characters at various times talk about how they regret many things they have not done.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are suddenly regretting things in the course of this play?
Part 2: Do you think a person should express their regrets? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might one avoid having regrets in one's life? Is this an impossible task?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)