|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Telegin goes off to get the ___________ of Astrov in order to finally leave.
2. Sonya tells Vanya that she _____________, but she has decided to endure it.
3. Who comes in with Sonya, sad about the events and in tears as the play begins to close?
4. Yelena reminds ____________ that he promised to leave when they spoke earlier.
5. What is heard offstage as the Professor goes to talk with Vanya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The blatant alcoholism of Astrov makes him a character with whom many do not sympathize.
Part 1: Why is Astrov always using alcohol to solve his problems?
Part 2: Do you think alcohol is the only way for some people to handle problems in their life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Astrov do in order to handle the struggles of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Marina notes that God will continue to think about the people of the future, even if the people of the future don't think much of the past.
Part 1: Why do you think the past is so important for Astrov in this play?
Part 2: Why do you think Marina keeps a positive outlook about how people will be remembered in the future?
Part 3: What does this play have to say about the past and the future? Is the play positive or negative about time in general?
Essay Topic 3
The storm seems to be a symbol of the anger and frustration in the group of people in the play.
Part 1: Why do you think a storm is a good representation of conflict amongst people? Or isn't it?
Part 2: Do you think the group of people changes after the storm passes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Chekhov decided to use the storm in the play versus another event?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)