|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yelena pleads with her husband to ______________ during this confrontation.
2. Yelena comes in to tell Vanya that ____________ has something to say to him.
3. Whose silence is interpreted to mean that Astrov said that he wouldn't be coming back?
4. Telegin says that __________ and Astrov are out looking for Vanya after the dramatic events of the previous scene.
5. Who does Vanya point out is actually the one who owns the estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Yelena talks about how people destroy other people as well as destroying the forests around them.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena is quick to point out how people destroy other people?
Part 2: Do you agree that people are quick to destroy each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some reasons people might have for 'destroying' others in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Vanya is one that seems to be looking for attention much of the time, always thinking that others aren't noticing him.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya wants more attention in this play?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya deserves to have more attention than he is given within the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might be different if Vanya was more confident in himself?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)