|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sonya says that she has ___________ and urges Vanya to do that same.
2. Astrov says that his work shows a clear picture of decline brought by _____________, by ignorance, and by a total lack of awareness.
3. Yelena notes that someone like Astrov is like the bright __________ rising in the midst of the darkness.
4. Sonya says there are a lot of things she could do if she felt like it: work on the __________, visit the sick, etc.
5. The Professor calls Vanya a _______________ and tells him he can have the estate.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The storm seems to be a symbol of the anger and frustration in the group of people in the play.
Part 1: Why do you think a storm is a good representation of conflict amongst people? Or isn't it?
Part 2: Do you think the group of people changes after the storm passes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Chekhov decided to use the storm in the play versus another event?
Essay Topic 2
Various characters at various times talk about how they regret many things they have not done.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are suddenly regretting things in the course of this play?
Part 2: Do you think a person should express their regrets? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might one avoid having regrets in one's life? Is this an impossible task?
Essay Topic 3
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)