|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Telegin goes off to get the ___________ of Astrov in order to finally leave.
2. Whose silence is interpreted to mean that Astrov said that he wouldn't be coming back?
3. In what room does this particular scene of the play take place?
4. __________ says everything was fine on the estate until the Professor and Yelena showed up.
5. Ultimately, Astrov believes the downfall of society is being caused by ____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is some discussion amongst literary reviewers and critics that this play is actually an example of society at that time in Russia, with the characters portraying the various classes.
Part 1: Why do you think the author decided to create a play to talk about social issues?
Part 2: Do you think plays have the ability to change society as a whole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you agree that the play is a representation of society at that time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Professor points out that as he ages, he is becoming more offensive to himself.
Part 1: Why do you think the Professor feels he is getting offensive?
Part 2: Do you agree that people become more troublesome as they become older? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you will behave when you become older? How might you feel about yourself?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)