|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ pleads with the Professor to have mercy, reminding him of all the work they've done.
2. Astrov says that he ___________ Sonya, but he has no feeling for her as a woman.
3. The Professor calls Vanya a _______________ and tells him he can have the estate.
4. Whose bedroom also serves as the estate office during this last act of the play?
5. Sonya says that she has ___________ and urges Vanya to do that same.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marina notes that God will continue to think about the people of the future, even if the people of the future don't think much of the past.
Part 1: Why do you think the past is so important for Astrov in this play?
Part 2: Why do you think Marina keeps a positive outlook about how people will be remembered in the future?
Part 3: What does this play have to say about the past and the future? Is the play positive or negative about time in general?
Essay Topic 2
Yelena talks about how people destroy other people as well as destroying the forests around them.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena is quick to point out how people destroy other people?
Part 2: Do you agree that people are quick to destroy each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some reasons people might have for 'destroying' others in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
In this play, there are instances of love that has gone unrequited, though some of the people know about the feelings others have for them.
Part 1: Why do you think these characters have hesitated in being with the ones they truly love?
Part 2: Do you think it's too late for these lovers to do anything about their feelings? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might have happened in the play if everyone was with the person they loved?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)