|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Astrov asks permission to ______________ Yelena before she leaves.
2. Who used to visit the house only once a month, but now comes around every day because of Yelena?
3. Yelena says that it's only in __________ that people find fulfillment from doing good things for others.
4. Vanya says the last 25 years have been about making _____________ life easier.
5. Telegin says that __________ and Astrov are out looking for Vanya after the dramatic events of the previous scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this play, there are instances of love that has gone unrequited, though some of the people know about the feelings others have for them.
Part 1: Why do you think these characters have hesitated in being with the ones they truly love?
Part 2: Do you think it's too late for these lovers to do anything about their feelings? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might have happened in the play if everyone was with the person they loved?
Essay Topic 2
There is some discussion amongst literary reviewers and critics that this play is actually an example of society at that time in Russia, with the characters portraying the various classes.
Part 1: Why do you think the author decided to create a play to talk about social issues?
Part 2: Do you think plays have the ability to change society as a whole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you agree that the play is a representation of society at that time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Marina notes that God will continue to think about the people of the future, even if the people of the future don't think much of the past.
Part 1: Why do you think the past is so important for Astrov in this play?
Part 2: Why do you think Marina keeps a positive outlook about how people will be remembered in the future?
Part 3: What does this play have to say about the past and the future? Is the play positive or negative about time in general?
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)