|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room does this particular scene of the play take place?
2. After Yelena formally wishes Astrov the best, she suddenly ______________.
3. Yelena kisses Vanya's ____________ before she leaves the estate.
4. Vanya says the last 25 years have been about making _____________ life easier.
5. Where does Telegin reveal that he's hidden the gun that Vanya tried to use?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The blatant alcoholism of Astrov makes him a character with whom many do not sympathize.
Part 1: Why is Astrov always using alcohol to solve his problems?
Part 2: Do you think alcohol is the only way for some people to handle problems in their life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Astrov do in order to handle the struggles of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Vanya seems to be a person who likes to have new things to talk about, new things to consider.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya always wants to talk about new things?
Part 2: What is so bad about talking about the same things again and again?
Part 3: Would you rather talk about new things or old things? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Astrov believes that places where trees have been well-tended are places where people are more artistic and wise.
Part 1: Why do you think Astrov speculates that well-tended areas of nature produce more artistic and wise people?
Part 2: Do you agree with the observation of Astrov? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think might also have an influence on people, making them more artistic and wise?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)