|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to visit the house only once a month, but now comes around every day because of Yelena?
2. Where does Telegin reveal that he's hidden the gun that Vanya tried to use?
3. Yelena pleads with her husband to ______________ during this confrontation.
4. What does Vanya go out to get in order to help make Yelena feel better?
5. Astrov stops talking about his work when he realizes that ___________ is not interested in what he has to say.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vanya is also talking about the idea of killing himself and of getting away from the world.
Part 1: Do you think Vanya is serious about wanting to kill himself? Why or why not?
Part 2: What might you have done to reason with Vanya when he was talking about killing himself?
Part 3: Do you think Vanya has other reasons for saying that he just wants to kill himself? If so, what? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Professor points out that as he ages, he is becoming more offensive to himself.
Part 1: Why do you think the Professor feels he is getting offensive?
Part 2: Do you agree that people become more troublesome as they become older? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you will behave when you become older? How might you feel about yourself?
Essay Topic 3
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)