|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ says everything was fine on the estate until the Professor and Yelena showed up.
2. Vanya points out he's worked like a _______________ to pay off the estate's debts.
3. When Yelena protests, Astrov says that she __________ every minute of her actions.
4. Sonya says there are a lot of things she could do if she felt like it: work on the __________, visit the sick, etc.
5. Sonya encourages Vanya to keep living, bear the trials, and to work _________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Vanya is also talking about the idea of killing himself and of getting away from the world.
Part 1: Do you think Vanya is serious about wanting to kill himself? Why or why not?
Part 2: What might you have done to reason with Vanya when he was talking about killing himself?
Part 3: Do you think Vanya has other reasons for saying that he just wants to kill himself? If so, what? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
There is some discussion amongst literary reviewers and critics that this play is actually an example of society at that time in Russia, with the characters portraying the various classes.
Part 1: Why do you think the author decided to create a play to talk about social issues?
Part 2: Do you think plays have the ability to change society as a whole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you agree that the play is a representation of society at that time? Why or why not?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)