|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the harness bells sound, Astrov comments that ___________ must be glad to leave for good.
2. __________ tells everyone to leave him alone, that he can't stand being watched over.
3. Yelena suggests that Astrov stop _____________ as it hurts Sonya too much.
4. Astrov asks permission to ______________ Yelena before she leaves.
5. Sonya says there are a lot of things she could do if she felt like it: work on the __________, visit the sick, etc.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Telegin talks about how having his pride is something that he cherishes since he separated from his wife.
Part 1: Why do you think Telegin is satisfied with simply having his pride?
Part 2: Do you think you could be satisfied with your life after breaking up with someone?
Part 3: How will Telegin's actions affect his children? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Sonya points out that Vanya has been living on his illusions while she is working herself to exhaustion.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya is thought to be living on his illusions?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for Sonya to speak to Vanya in this way? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Sonya has to work herself to exhaustion? Or might she be playing the martyr?
Essay Topic 3
Vanya is also talking about the idea of killing himself and of getting away from the world.
Part 1: Do you think Vanya is serious about wanting to kill himself? Why or why not?
Part 2: What might you have done to reason with Vanya when he was talking about killing himself?
Part 3: Do you think Vanya has other reasons for saying that he just wants to kill himself? If so, what? If not, why not?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)