|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sonya tells Vanya that she _____________, but she has decided to endure it.
2. Astrov asks permission to ______________ Yelena before she leaves.
3. __________ tells Vanya to do as the Professor says during this volatile scene.
4. Sonya points out that she and Vanya will, in the future, be able to _________.
5. Sonya tells Vanya they are very far behind with the _____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time and energy creating harmony.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time on creating harmony?
Part 2: How might Vanya begin to create more harmony in his own life?
Part 3: Do you think you spend your time and energy on creating harmony? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Marina notes that God will continue to think about the people of the future, even if the people of the future don't think much of the past.
Part 1: Why do you think the past is so important for Astrov in this play?
Part 2: Why do you think Marina keeps a positive outlook about how people will be remembered in the future?
Part 3: What does this play have to say about the past and the future? Is the play positive or negative about time in general?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)