|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is heard offstage as the Professor goes to talk with Vanya?
2. Yelena suggests that Astrov stop _____________ as it hurts Sonya too much.
3. Who convinces Vanya to give back the item which he stole from Astrov?
4. Who comes in with Sonya, sad about the events and in tears as the play begins to close?
5. What are some of the characters afraid that Vanya is going to do while he is off by himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Various characters at various times talk about how they regret many things they have not done.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are suddenly regretting things in the course of this play?
Part 2: Do you think a person should express their regrets? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might one avoid having regrets in one's life? Is this an impossible task?
Essay Topic 3
Astrov believes that places where trees have been well-tended are places where people are more artistic and wise.
Part 1: Why do you think Astrov speculates that well-tended areas of nature produce more artistic and wise people?
Part 2: Do you agree with the observation of Astrov? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think might also have an influence on people, making them more artistic and wise?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)