|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Astrov ask Yelena to do after they have their heated encounter?
2. Yelena admits that while finding __________ strange, she is also attracted to him.
3. The Professor calls Vanya a _______________ and tells him he can have the estate.
4. Who decides to help Maria wind wool in order to speed up the process so they can leave?
5. Yelena comes in to tell Vanya that ____________ has something to say to him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is some discussion amongst literary reviewers and critics that this play is actually an example of society at that time in Russia, with the characters portraying the various classes.
Part 1: Why do you think the author decided to create a play to talk about social issues?
Part 2: Do you think plays have the ability to change society as a whole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you agree that the play is a representation of society at that time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Marina notes that God will continue to think about the people of the future, even if the people of the future don't think much of the past.
Part 1: Why do you think the past is so important for Astrov in this play?
Part 2: Why do you think Marina keeps a positive outlook about how people will be remembered in the future?
Part 3: What does this play have to say about the past and the future? Is the play positive or negative about time in general?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of this play, the characters seem to be ready to argue with each other over even the littlest things.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters feel the need to argue so often?
Part 2: Why do you think the characters don't talk about things in a calmer and more reasonable manner?
Part 3: How might the play change if people were to speak to each other in a more mature fashion?
This section contains 1,569 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)