|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chats mindlessly about the weather when they are caught with Yelena?
2. Who comes in with Sonya, sad about the events and in tears as the play begins to close?
3. Sonya tells __________ that everybody around this person has changed because of this person.
4. Who has stopped working, only to follow Yelena around all day?
5. Astrov says that he ___________ Sonya, but he has no feeling for her as a woman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vanya is also talking about the idea of killing himself and of getting away from the world.
Part 1: Do you think Vanya is serious about wanting to kill himself? Why or why not?
Part 2: What might you have done to reason with Vanya when he was talking about killing himself?
Part 3: Do you think Vanya has other reasons for saying that he just wants to kill himself? If so, what? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Various characters at various times talk about how they regret many things they have not done.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are suddenly regretting things in the course of this play?
Part 2: Do you think a person should express their regrets? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might one avoid having regrets in one's life? Is this an impossible task?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)