|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vanya thinks that because he hasn't been charged with a crime, everyone must think that he is ____________.
2. Sonya says that she will get Astrov by telling him that __________ wants to see what he has been working on.
3. Yelena reminds ____________ that he promised to leave when they spoke earlier.
4. Who does Vanya say staggers as she walks out of her own sheer laziness?
5. Astrov says that he ___________ Sonya, but he has no feeling for her as a woman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Vanya is one that seems to be looking for attention much of the time, always thinking that others aren't noticing him.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya wants more attention in this play?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya deserves to have more attention than he is given within the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might be different if Vanya was more confident in himself?
Essay Topic 3
Vanya is also talking about the idea of killing himself and of getting away from the world.
Part 1: Do you think Vanya is serious about wanting to kill himself? Why or why not?
Part 2: What might you have done to reason with Vanya when he was talking about killing himself?
Part 3: Do you think Vanya has other reasons for saying that he just wants to kill himself? If so, what? If not, why not?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)