|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sonya tells Vanya they are very far behind with the _____________.
2. Yelena notes that someone like Astrov is like the bright __________ rising in the midst of the darkness.
3. The reward of working hard is to live a life of joy under a sky all dressed in _____________.
4. What does Astrov ask Yelena to do after they have their heated encounter?
5. Within this final setting is an easel and a table where which character goes to paint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Vanya is one that seems to be looking for attention much of the time, always thinking that others aren't noticing him.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya wants more attention in this play?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya deserves to have more attention than he is given within the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might be different if Vanya was more confident in himself?
Essay Topic 2
There is some discussion amongst literary reviewers and critics that this play is actually an example of society at that time in Russia, with the characters portraying the various classes.
Part 1: Why do you think the author decided to create a play to talk about social issues?
Part 2: Do you think plays have the ability to change society as a whole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you agree that the play is a representation of society at that time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
This section contains 1,573 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)