|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some of the characters afraid that Vanya is going to do while he is off by himself?
2. ____________ announces that he can not handle living in the country anymore.
3. Yelena comes in to tell Vanya that ____________ has something to say to him.
4. The Professor says that he will not do anything without the consent of ___________.
5. Sonya says that she will get Astrov by telling him that __________ wants to see what he has been working on.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sonya points out that Vanya has been living on his illusions while she is working herself to exhaustion.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya is thought to be living on his illusions?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for Sonya to speak to Vanya in this way? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Sonya has to work herself to exhaustion? Or might she be playing the martyr?
Essay Topic 2
The blatant alcoholism of Astrov makes him a character with whom many do not sympathize.
Part 1: Why is Astrov always using alcohol to solve his problems?
Part 2: Do you think alcohol is the only way for some people to handle problems in their life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Astrov do in order to handle the struggles of his life?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of this play, the characters seem to be ready to argue with each other over even the littlest things.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters feel the need to argue so often?
Part 2: Why do you think the characters don't talk about things in a calmer and more reasonable manner?
Part 3: How might the play change if people were to speak to each other in a more mature fashion?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)