|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Telegin reveal that he's hidden the gun that Vanya tried to use?
2. Sonya encourages Vanya to keep living, bear the trials, and to work _________.
3. Yelena comes in to tell Vanya that ____________ has something to say to him.
4. In what room does this particular scene of the play take place?
5. What are some of the characters afraid that Vanya is going to do while he is off by himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In this play, there are instances of love that has gone unrequited, though some of the people know about the feelings others have for them.
Part 1: Why do you think these characters have hesitated in being with the ones they truly love?
Part 2: Do you think it's too late for these lovers to do anything about their feelings? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might have happened in the play if everyone was with the person they loved?
Essay Topic 3
The blatant alcoholism of Astrov makes him a character with whom many do not sympathize.
Part 1: Why is Astrov always using alcohol to solve his problems?
Part 2: Do you think alcohol is the only way for some people to handle problems in their life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Astrov do in order to handle the struggles of his life?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)