|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Astrov drink before he finally leaves the estate?
2. ________ comments to Sonya about how miserable he is as they are working together.
3. Astrov asks permission to ______________ Yelena before she leaves.
4. Who does Sonya ask for help in relation to getting the attention of Astrov?
5. What does Vanya go out to get in order to help make Yelena feel better?
Essay Topic 1
Various characters at various times talk about how they regret many things they have not done.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are suddenly regretting things in the course of this play?
Part 2: Do you think a person should express their regrets? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might one avoid having regrets in one's life? Is this an impossible task?
Essay Topic 2
The scene in which Vanya tries to shoot the Professor is a dramatic one, though it does not result in death or even in change.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya tried to shoot the Professor, twice, in this scene?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya intended to hurt the Professor? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Vanya have done to persuade the Professor? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Professor points out that as he ages, he is becoming more offensive to himself.
Part 1: Why do you think the Professor feels he is getting offensive?
Part 2: Do you agree that people become more troublesome as they become older? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you will behave when you become older? How might you feel about yourself?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)