|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Astrov talks to Sonya and tells her that he sees his life as a dark ___________.
2. Yelena points out that __________ is obviously in love with Astrov, but she is too shy to talk to him about it.
3. Yelena says the reason she and Vanya are friends is because they are both very ________.
4. Sonya complains that Vanya has been living on his ___________ while she's been working herself to exhaustion.
5. Sonya talks about how Astrov feels that where __________ are well-tended, the people are more artisitic.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the Professor want the two women to go and to leave Vanya alone with him?
2. What is Vanya's complaint about his life since the Professor and his wife arrived at the house?
3. Why does Vanya protest the announcement and the decision the Professor makes in his announcement?
4. What does Sonya say has been happening while Vanya has been living his illusions?
5. What does Vanya say in response to the Professor's apology to him after he too apologizes?
6. What does Astrov admit to Vanya when he enters the scene with Telegin?
7. What does Marina offer to Astrov as he paces during the opening scene of the play?
8. What does the workman request when he walks into the scene where the rest of the characters are?
9. What does Yelena suggest Astrov do in regards to his feelings about Sonya?
10. What is Astrov's reasoning behind his constant drinking when Marina asks him about this habit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this play, there are instances of love that has gone unrequited, though some of the people know about the feelings others have for them.
Part 1: Why do you think these characters have hesitated in being with the ones they truly love?
Part 2: Do you think it's too late for these lovers to do anything about their feelings? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might have happened in the play if everyone was with the person they loved?
Essay Topic 2
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
This section contains 1,918 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)