|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Yelena and Sonya share together as a way to celebrate their new friendship?
2. Vanya says that he is so __________ with himself for not making more of his life.
3. Vanya thinks the Professor writes books about _________ without knowing anything about it.
4. Where does the Professor want his tea sent as he has a lot of work to do?
5. ____________ once had an attack of conscience when he was operating on a patient, thinking that the patient's death was his fault.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another function of the bedroom as indicated by the play's details?
2. What is the memory that Astrov becomes lost in as he is talking with Marina?
3. Why doesn't Astrov leave the scene when Vanya asks him to leave?
4. What does Astrov admit to Yelena in reference to his feelings about Sonya when Yelena asks him?
5. What does Vanya think the reason is for no one arresting him or charging him with attempted murder?
6. What does Vanya tell everyone to do when he finally reenters the scene with Astrov?
7. What does Astrov admit to Vanya when he enters the scene with Telegin?
8. What is Marina doing as she is sitting at the start of the play in a country home in Russia?
9. What does Yelena say when Vanya comments that she staggers as she walks from sheer laziness?
10. Why does Vanya protest the announcement and the decision the Professor makes in his announcement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Telegin talks about how having his pride is something that he cherishes since he separated from his wife.
Part 1: Why do you think Telegin is satisfied with simply having his pride?
Part 2: Do you think you could be satisfied with your life after breaking up with someone?
Part 3: How will Telegin's actions affect his children? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time and energy creating harmony.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time on creating harmony?
Part 2: How might Vanya begin to create more harmony in his own life?
Part 3: Do you think you spend your time and energy on creating harmony? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)