|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Professor wearing when he enters the scene with his wife?
2. Vanya believes that all of his feelings, including those he has for __________ are being wasted.
3. What does Astrov ask the worker to fetch for him before they head out the door?
4. Who does the Professor think actually finds him the most offensive of anyone?
5. What does Vanya come in to announce is going to happen during this second act?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yelena suggest Astrov do in regards to his feelings about Sonya?
2. What does Astrov return to the room with after Sonya has coaxed him into coming over to them?
3. What are some of the things Sonya suggests Yelena do if she is really as bored as she seems?
4. What does Marina recall as she is trying to answer the question of how long she and Astrov have known each other?
5. What has Vanya supposedly stolen from Astrov, according to Astrov's accusation?
6. Why doesn't the Professor want the two women to go and to leave Vanya alone with him?
7. What does Astrov fear will happen if Vanya kills himself with a vial of morphine?
8. Why does Vanya believe that he is a foolish man after the events of the previous scene?
9. What does the workman request when he walks into the scene where the rest of the characters are?
10. What are some of the reasons Vanya gives for not being able to sleep at night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The blatant alcoholism of Astrov makes him a character with whom many do not sympathize.
Part 1: Why is Astrov always using alcohol to solve his problems?
Part 2: Do you think alcohol is the only way for some people to handle problems in their life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Astrov do in order to handle the struggles of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time and energy creating harmony.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time on creating harmony?
Part 2: How might Vanya begin to create more harmony in his own life?
Part 3: Do you think you spend your time and energy on creating harmony? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sonya points out that Vanya has been living on his illusions while she is working herself to exhaustion.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya is thought to be living on his illusions?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for Sonya to speak to Vanya in this way? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Sonya has to work herself to exhaustion? Or might she be playing the martyr?
This section contains 1,941 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)