|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plays on the guitar during this scene as Maria reads the piece of paper?
2. Yelena suggests that being with Vanya would ____________ as Vanya just wants to possess her.
3. What does Vanya's mother do as everyone else is talking during the scene after she enters?
4. Vanya complains that ever since ___________ and his wife arrived, the schedule has not be right around the house.
5. What does Sonya point out has gone cold on them as they were speaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vanya say in response to the Professor's apology to him after he too apologizes?
2. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
3. What does the workman request when he walks into the scene where the rest of the characters are?
4. What does the Professor think is the reason for his sudden shortness of breath as he is asking for a book?
5. What does Yelena think about the fact that Astrov comes around to the house every day instead of monthly?
6. What is odd about the Professor's appearance according to Astrov and Vanya?
7. What does Yelena say when Vanya comments that she staggers as she walks from sheer laziness?
8. What is painful for Vanya when he looks at Yelena, according to his own words as he is drunk?
9. What does Yelena tell Vanya he should do after he begins to complain that he's had just about enough of himself?
10. What are some of the things Sonya suggests Yelena do if she is really as bored as she seems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At many points of this play, the characters seem to be ready to argue with each other over even the littlest things.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters feel the need to argue so often?
Part 2: Why do you think the characters don't talk about things in a calmer and more reasonable manner?
Part 3: How might the play change if people were to speak to each other in a more mature fashion?
Essay Topic 2
The Professor points out that as he ages, he is becoming more offensive to himself.
Part 1: Why do you think the Professor feels he is getting offensive?
Part 2: Do you agree that people become more troublesome as they become older? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you will behave when you become older? How might you feel about yourself?
Essay Topic 3
Vanya is also talking about the idea of killing himself and of getting away from the world.
Part 1: Do you think Vanya is serious about wanting to kill himself? Why or why not?
Part 2: What might you have done to reason with Vanya when he was talking about killing himself?
Part 3: Do you think Vanya has other reasons for saying that he just wants to kill himself? If so, what? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,953 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)