|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vanya says the Yelena is faithful in her marriage, but her faithfulness is _______________.
2. What does Sonya point out has gone cold on them as they were speaking?
3. Vanya says that Yelena is his __________ which is why he is so miserable.
4. Astrov and Vanya both comment on the beauty of ___________ as well as on the overcoat of the Professor.
5. Astrov reminds ___________ that he is there to see the Professor, who called for the doctor the day before.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vanya go out to do in order to make Yelena feel better?
2. What does Marina think about people who are living a hundred years in the future?
3. What does Astrov fear will happen if Vanya kills himself with a vial of morphine?
4. What does the Professor say about the medicine he wants Sonya to pass to him?
5. Why does Sonya send Marina off as Maria sits down and reads during this opening scene?
6. What does Vanya tell Yelena about the storm that is about to be upon them?
7. What does Sonya come into the room to remind the Professor of?
8. What happens when the Professor wakes up from his nap at the start of this scene?
9. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
10. What does Marina offer to Astrov as he paces during the opening scene of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Vanya is one that seems to be looking for attention much of the time, always thinking that others aren't noticing him.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya wants more attention in this play?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya deserves to have more attention than he is given within the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might be different if Vanya was more confident in himself?
Essay Topic 2
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Vanya is also talking about the idea of killing himself and of getting away from the world.
Part 1: Do you think Vanya is serious about wanting to kill himself? Why or why not?
Part 2: What might you have done to reason with Vanya when he was talking about killing himself?
Part 3: Do you think Vanya has other reasons for saying that he just wants to kill himself? If so, what? If not, why not?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)