|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Astrov returns, now wearing a __________ and a tie when Sonya tells him to have a drink.
2. ___________ tells Vanya he should spend more time creating harmony and reconciliation.
3. What does the Professor wonder aloud as he is waking up and talking to Yelena?
4. What does Telegin bring with him as he and Astrov return home, slightly drunk?
5. When Yelena talks to Vanya about his quarreling ways, he starts talks about her ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Marina asks Telegin where the gun is, what does Telegin reply to her?
2. What is Maria's comment about the new pamphlet she is reading from a writer she likes?
3. What does Sonya ask Yelena to help her with in regards to her relationship?
4. Why does Sonya send Marina off as Maria sits down and reads during this opening scene?
5. Who comes into the house from the woods as Astrov, Marina, and Vanya all stand or sit in the main room?
6. What does Vanya say in his soliloquy about the Professor before the current time and how they supported each other?
7. What does Yelena do when the Professor wakes up from his nap on the chair?
8. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
9. What are some of the things Sonya suggests Yelena do if she is really as bored as she seems?
10. What is Astrov's reasoning behind his constant drinking when Marina asks him about this habit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Vanya is one that seems to be looking for attention much of the time, always thinking that others aren't noticing him.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya wants more attention in this play?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya deserves to have more attention than he is given within the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might be different if Vanya was more confident in himself?
Essay Topic 2
Astrov believes that places where trees have been well-tended are places where people are more artistic and wise.
Part 1: Why do you think Astrov speculates that well-tended areas of nature produce more artistic and wise people?
Part 2: Do you agree with the observation of Astrov? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think might also have an influence on people, making them more artistic and wise?
Essay Topic 3
Telegin talks about how having his pride is something that he cherishes since he separated from his wife.
Part 1: Why do you think Telegin is satisfied with simply having his pride?
Part 2: Do you think you could be satisfied with your life after breaking up with someone?
Part 3: How will Telegin's actions affect his children? Why?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)