|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Telegin bring with him as he and Astrov return home, slightly drunk?
2. Where is the beginning of Act Two set as the play opens again?
3. Yelena says the reason she and Vanya are friends is because they are both very ________.
4. Yelena says that she is a minor __________ in her husband's life, as well as feeling that way in her entire life.
5. ___________ sees that Vanya is drunk and tells him it's unfitting for someone his age.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sonya come into the room to remind the Professor of?
2. What is the argument that Sonya gives to Vanya in order to encourage him to give back the morphine?
3. When Marina asks Telegin where the gun is, what does Telegin reply to her?
4. What does Marina recall as she is trying to answer the question of how long she and Astrov have known each other?
5. What is Maria's comment about the new pamphlet she is reading from a writer she likes?
6. What does Sonya say has been happening while Vanya has been living his illusions?
7. What does Astrov admit to Vanya when he enters the scene with Telegin?
8. What is another function of the bedroom as indicated by the play's details?
9. What does Vanya go out to do in order to make Yelena feel better?
10. Why does Sonya send Marina off as Maria sits down and reads during this opening scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time and energy creating harmony.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time on creating harmony?
Part 2: How might Vanya begin to create more harmony in his own life?
Part 3: Do you think you spend your time and energy on creating harmony? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sonya points out that Vanya has been living on his illusions while she is working herself to exhaustion.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya is thought to be living on his illusions?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for Sonya to speak to Vanya in this way? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Sonya has to work herself to exhaustion? Or might she be playing the martyr?
Essay Topic 3
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)