|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Astrov talks about whether people of today will be remembered, and Marina says that _______ will remember.
2. ________ could have proposed marriage to Yelena before she met her current husband, though he did not.
3. When Yelena tells Vanya it's a nice day, what does Vanya say that it is a nice day to do?
4. ________ tells the Professor to stop being so difficult at this point of the play.
5. Who asks Telegin to begin playing music, though he is quickly told not to by another character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Astrov say when Sonya asks him when he might be back to the estate?
2. What is painful for Vanya when he looks at Yelena, according to his own words as he is drunk?
3. What does Yelena tell Vanya he should do after he begins to complain that he's had just about enough of himself?
4. Why does Sonya send Marina off as Maria sits down and reads during this opening scene?
5. What is the announcement the Professor makes to the characters in this scene?
6. How does Astrov describe the project that he has been working on when he walks into the room?
7. What happens when the Professor wakes up from his nap at the start of this scene?
8. What does Vanya think about the profession of the Professor?
9. What does Vanya announce to everyone when he walks into this second scene of the play?
10. When Sonya returns, what does Astrov say he needs to do so he has to leave the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sonya points out that Vanya has been living on his illusions while she is working herself to exhaustion.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya is thought to be living on his illusions?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for Sonya to speak to Vanya in this way? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Sonya has to work herself to exhaustion? Or might she be playing the martyr?
Essay Topic 2
Astrov believes that places where trees have been well-tended are places where people are more artistic and wise.
Part 1: Why do you think Astrov speculates that well-tended areas of nature produce more artistic and wise people?
Part 2: Do you agree with the observation of Astrov? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think might also have an influence on people, making them more artistic and wise?
Essay Topic 3
Vanya seems to be a person who likes to have new things to talk about, new things to consider.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya always wants to talk about new things?
Part 2: What is so bad about talking about the same things again and again?
Part 3: Would you rather talk about new things or old things? Why?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)