|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes an exclamation which keeps Telegin and Sonya stay outside?
2. Astrov reminds ___________ that he is there to see the Professor, who called for the doctor the day before.
3. Sonya says that _____________ has been spoiled by women all of his life.
4. What is the Professor wearing when he enters the scene with his wife?
5. Astrov says that he drinks because __________ is a dull, stupid, dirty business.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vanya tell everyone to do when he finally reenters the scene with Astrov?
2. What is Telegin helping Marina to do at the opening of this scene?
3. What is odd about the Professor's appearance according to Astrov and Vanya?
4. What does Yelena think about the fact that Astrov comes around to the house every day instead of monthly?
5. What does Vanya think about the Professor's life now that he has gotten older?
6. What is Marina doing as she is sitting at the start of the play in a country home in Russia?
7. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
8. When Marina asks Telegin where the gun is, what does Telegin reply to her?
9. Why doesn't the Professor want the two women to go and to leave Vanya alone with him?
10. What does the Professor say about the medicine he wants Sonya to pass to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yelena talks about how people destroy other people as well as destroying the forests around them.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena is quick to point out how people destroy other people?
Part 2: Do you agree that people are quick to destroy each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some reasons people might have for 'destroying' others in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Telegin talks about how having his pride is something that he cherishes since he separated from his wife.
Part 1: Why do you think Telegin is satisfied with simply having his pride?
Part 2: Do you think you could be satisfied with your life after breaking up with someone?
Part 3: How will Telegin's actions affect his children? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Vanya seems to be a person who likes to have new things to talk about, new things to consider.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya always wants to talk about new things?
Part 2: What is so bad about talking about the same things again and again?
Part 3: Would you rather talk about new things or old things? Why?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)