|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yelena says the reason she and Vanya are friends is because they are both very ________.
2. Sonya says that it's a shame that she's not __________ as she is so in love with Astrov.
3. What time does Yelena tell the Professor it is after he wakes up and she wakes up too?
4. Who wants to know when Astrov will be back from the work issue he needs to handle?
5. When Yelena talks to Vanya about his quarreling ways, he starts talks about her ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Marina asks Telegin where the gun is, what does Telegin reply to her?
2. When Sonya returns, what does Astrov say he needs to do so he has to leave the room?
3. What does Vanya announce to everyone else in the room at the beginning of this scene?
4. What happens when the Professor wakes up from his nap at the start of this scene?
5. What are some of the reasons Vanya gives for not being able to sleep at night?
6. What does Vanya think about the profession of the Professor?
7. What is painful for Vanya when he looks at Yelena, according to his own words as he is drunk?
8. What does Astrov admit to Yelena in reference to his feelings about Sonya when Yelena asks him?
9. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
10. Why does Vanya protest the announcement and the decision the Professor makes in his announcement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Various characters at various times talk about how they regret many things they have not done.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are suddenly regretting things in the course of this play?
Part 2: Do you think a person should express their regrets? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might one avoid having regrets in one's life? Is this an impossible task?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Vanya is one that seems to be looking for attention much of the time, always thinking that others aren't noticing him.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya wants more attention in this play?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya deserves to have more attention than he is given within the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might be different if Vanya was more confident in himself?
Essay Topic 3
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)