|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plays on the guitar during this scene as Maria reads the piece of paper?
2. What time does Yelena tell the Professor it is after he wakes up and she wakes up too?
3. Who doesn't Sonya want involved in the drunken binges of Astrov?
4. Astrov says that he drinks because __________ is a dull, stupid, dirty business.
5. Yelena says the reason she and Vanya are friends is because they are both very ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Astrov say when Sonya asks him when he might be back to the estate?
2. Why does Sonya send Marina off as Maria sits down and reads during this opening scene?
3. What is the other function of Vanya's bedroom in the opening of this final act of the play?
4. What are some of the things Sonya suggests Yelena do if she is really as bored as she seems?
5. What does Vanya think the reason is for no one arresting him or charging him with attempted murder?
6. What is another function of the bedroom as indicated by the play's details?
7. What does Yelena do when the Professor wakes up from his nap on the chair?
8. Why doesn't the Professor want the two women to go and to leave Vanya alone with him?
9. What does Vanya say in response to the Professor's apology to him after he too apologizes?
10. What does the workman request when he walks into the scene where the rest of the characters are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Vanya is also talking about the idea of killing himself and of getting away from the world.
Part 1: Do you think Vanya is serious about wanting to kill himself? Why or why not?
Part 2: What might you have done to reason with Vanya when he was talking about killing himself?
Part 3: Do you think Vanya has other reasons for saying that he just wants to kill himself? If so, what? If not, why not?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)