|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plays on the guitar during this scene as Maria reads the piece of paper?
2. Sonya complains that Vanya has been living on his ___________ while she's been working herself to exhaustion.
3. Who complains they have had just about enough of the Professor?
4. What does the Professor think will happen if Vanya sits with him for a while?
5. Astrov says that he drinks because __________ is a dull, stupid, dirty business.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vanya think about the Professor's life now that he has gotten older?
2. When does Astrov believe a woman can become a friend of a man?
3. What does Astrov admit to Vanya when he enters the scene with Telegin?
4. What is Marina doing as she is sitting at the start of the play in a country home in Russia?
5. What has Vanya supposedly stolen from Astrov, according to Astrov's accusation?
6. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
7. Why doesn't Astrov leave the scene when Vanya asks him to leave?
8. What does the Professor think is the reason for his sudden shortness of breath as he is asking for a book?
9. What is the memory that Astrov becomes lost in as he is talking with Marina?
10. What happens when the Professor wakes up from his nap at the start of this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vanya seems to be a person who likes to have new things to talk about, new things to consider.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya always wants to talk about new things?
Part 2: What is so bad about talking about the same things again and again?
Part 3: Would you rather talk about new things or old things? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The blatant alcoholism of Astrov makes him a character with whom many do not sympathize.
Part 1: Why is Astrov always using alcohol to solve his problems?
Part 2: Do you think alcohol is the only way for some people to handle problems in their life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Astrov do in order to handle the struggles of his life?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)