|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sonya sends Marina off to deal with some of the _____________.
2. Yelena points out that __________ is obviously in love with Astrov, but she is too shy to talk to him about it.
3. What does Yelena put on the Professor as it has fallen off of his as he slept?
4. What does Sonya reveal that the Astrov does every year and that he has been recognized for doing?
5. What has Maria received from a writer that she likes and she shares this with the rest of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is odd about the Professor's appearance according to Astrov and Vanya?
2. What does Yelena suggest Astrov do in regards to his feelings about Sonya?
3. What does Vanya tell Yelena about the storm that is about to be upon them?
4. When Marina asks Telegin where the gun is, what does Telegin reply to her?
5. What does Marina offer to Astrov as he paces during the opening scene of the play?
6. What does Yelena think about the fact that Astrov comes around to the house every day instead of monthly?
7. Why are Sonya and Astrov out looking for Vanya at this point of the play?
8. What does Marina think about people who are living a hundred years in the future?
9. What does Astrov admit to Vanya when he enters the scene with Telegin?
10. What is Vanya's complaint about his life since the Professor and his wife arrived at the house?
Essay Topic 1
The storm seems to be a symbol of the anger and frustration in the group of people in the play.
Part 1: Why do you think a storm is a good representation of conflict amongst people? Or isn't it?
Part 2: Do you think the group of people changes after the storm passes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Chekhov decided to use the storm in the play versus another event?
Essay Topic 2
Sonya points out that Vanya has been living on his illusions while she is working herself to exhaustion.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya is thought to be living on his illusions?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for Sonya to speak to Vanya in this way? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Sonya has to work herself to exhaustion? Or might she be playing the martyr?
Essay Topic 3
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,926 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)