|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Astrov give as his excuse for quickly leaving when Sonya enters the room?
2. ___________ interrupts Astrov's speech by saying that he still uses wood in his outhouses and fireplaces.
3. The Professors tells Vanya to go, that they used to be ____________ and will talk another time.
4. Who tells the others to go to bed because he has come to sit with the Professor for a while?
5. What time does Yelena tell the Professor it is after he wakes up and she wakes up too?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vanya say in response to the Professor's apology to him after he too apologizes?
2. Why doesn't Astrov leave the scene when Vanya asks him to leave?
3. Why doesn't the Professor want the two women to go and to leave Vanya alone with him?
4. What is another function of the bedroom as indicated by the play's details?
5. What does Astrov say when Sonya asks him when he might be back to the estate?
6. What is Vanya's complaint about his life since the Professor and his wife arrived at the house?
7. What does Astrov fear will happen if Vanya kills himself with a vial of morphine?
8. What does Vanya tell Yelena about the storm that is about to be upon them?
9. What does Vanya think about the Professor's life now that he has gotten older?
10. What does Yelena say when Vanya comments that she staggers as she walks from sheer laziness?
Essay Topic 1
The Professor points out that as he ages, he is becoming more offensive to himself.
Part 1: Why do you think the Professor feels he is getting offensive?
Part 2: Do you agree that people become more troublesome as they become older? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you will behave when you become older? How might you feel about yourself?
Essay Topic 2
The scene in which Vanya tries to shoot the Professor is a dramatic one, though it does not result in death or even in change.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya tried to shoot the Professor, twice, in this scene?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya intended to hurt the Professor? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Vanya have done to persuade the Professor? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The storm seems to be a symbol of the anger and frustration in the group of people in the play.
Part 1: Why do you think a storm is a good representation of conflict amongst people? Or isn't it?
Part 2: Do you think the group of people changes after the storm passes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Chekhov decided to use the storm in the play versus another event?
This section contains 1,953 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)