|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yelena notice as Vanya is talking so she sends him off to bed?
2. Vanya says that he is so __________ with himself for not making more of his life.
3. Vanya thinks the Professor writes books about _________ without knowing anything about it.
4. ___________ interrupts Astrov's speech by saying that he still uses wood in his outhouses and fireplaces.
5. What does Maria say that Vanya used to have, but does not have anymore - and Vanya agrees with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Astrov say when Sonya asks him when he might be back to the estate?
2. What has Vanya supposedly stolen from Astrov, according to Astrov's accusation?
3. What does Vanya think about the Professor's life now that he has gotten older?
4. Who comes into the house from the woods as Astrov, Marina, and Vanya all stand or sit in the main room?
5. What does Yelena suggest Astrov do in regards to his feelings about Sonya?
6. How does Astrov describe the project that he has been working on when he walks into the room?
7. What happens when the Professor wakes up from his nap at the start of this scene?
8. When Marina asks Telegin where the gun is, what does Telegin reply to her?
9. What does Vanya go out to do in order to make Yelena feel better?
10. What is the argument that Sonya gives to Vanya in order to encourage him to give back the morphine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Vanya is one that seems to be looking for attention much of the time, always thinking that others aren't noticing him.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya wants more attention in this play?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya deserves to have more attention than he is given within the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might be different if Vanya was more confident in himself?
Essay Topic 3
Vanya seems to be a person who likes to have new things to talk about, new things to consider.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya always wants to talk about new things?
Part 2: What is so bad about talking about the same things again and again?
Part 3: Would you rather talk about new things or old things? Why?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)