|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yelena points out that __________ is obviously in love with Astrov, but she is too shy to talk to him about it.
2. Vanya notes that he and _________ have slaved for the Professor to keep the farm running profitably.
3. The Professors tells Vanya to go, that they used to be ____________ and will talk another time.
4. Where is the beginning of Act Two set as the play opens again?
5. Who asks Telegin to begin playing music, though he is quickly told not to by another character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the announcement the Professor makes to the characters in this scene?
2. What does Vanya tell Yelena about the storm that is about to be upon them?
3. What does Sonya say she will tell Astrov in order to get him to come into the room?
4. What happens when the Professor wakes up from his nap at the start of this scene?
5. Why does Vanya protest the announcement and the decision the Professor makes in his announcement?
6. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
7. What does Marina think about people who are living a hundred years in the future?
8. When Marina asks Telegin where the gun is, what does Telegin reply to her?
9. What are some of the things Sonya suggests Yelena do if she is really as bored as she seems?
10. What does Astrov say when Sonya asks him when he might be back to the estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sonya points out that Vanya has been living on his illusions while she is working herself to exhaustion.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya is thought to be living on his illusions?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for Sonya to speak to Vanya in this way? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Sonya has to work herself to exhaustion? Or might she be playing the martyr?
Essay Topic 2
At many points of this play, the characters seem to be ready to argue with each other over even the littlest things.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters feel the need to argue so often?
Part 2: Why do you think the characters don't talk about things in a calmer and more reasonable manner?
Part 3: How might the play change if people were to speak to each other in a more mature fashion?
Essay Topic 3
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)