|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vanya says the Yelena is faithful in her marriage, but her faithfulness is _______________.
2. Vanya says that he is so __________ with himself for not making more of his life.
3. Sonya says that _____________ has been spoiled by women all of his life.
4. Who makes an exclamation which keeps Telegin and Sonya stay outside?
5. Who gets offended when Yelena calls him by the wrong name, though he's at the table with her each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marina recall as she is trying to answer the question of how long she and Astrov have known each other?
2. What does the workman request when he walks into the scene where the rest of the characters are?
3. What does Marina offer to Astrov as he paces during the opening scene of the play?
4. What does Vanya think about the profession of the Professor?
5. When does Astrov believe a woman can become a friend of a man?
6. What does Vanya announce to everyone else in the room at the beginning of this scene?
7. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
8. What is Telegin helping Marina to do at the opening of this scene?
9. What is the argument that Sonya gives to Vanya in order to encourage him to give back the morphine?
10. What does Yelena think about the fact that Astrov comes around to the house every day instead of monthly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Telegin talks about how having his pride is something that he cherishes since he separated from his wife. Part 1: Why do you think Telegin is satisfied with simply having his pride? Part 2: Do you think you could be satisfied with your life after breaking up with someone? Part 3: How will Telegin's actions affect his children? Why?
Essay Topic 2In this play, there are instances of love that has gone unrequited, though some of the people know about the feelings others have for them. Part 1: Why do you think these characters have hesitated in being with the ones they truly love? Part 2: Do you think it's too late for these lovers to do anything about their feelings? Why or why not? Part 3: What might have happened in the play if everyone was with the person they loved?
Essay Topic 3Marina notes that God will continue to think about the people of the future, even if the people of the future don't think much of the past. Part 1: Why do you think the past is so important for Astrov in this play? Part 2: Why do you think Marina keeps a positive outlook about how people will be remembered in the future? Part 3: What does this play have to say about the past and the future? Is the play positive or negative about time in general?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)