|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Astrov reminds ___________ that he is there to see the Professor, who called for the doctor the day before.
2. What does Yelena put on the Professor as it has fallen off of his as he slept?
3. Astrov admits to Vanya that he came back to the house in order to see which character?
4. Vanya believes that all of his feelings, including those he has for __________ are being wasted.
5. What happened to the other man that Telegin's wife was seeing at one point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sonya say has been happening while Vanya has been living his illusions?
2. Why are Sonya and Astrov out looking for Vanya at this point of the play?
3. What is another function of the bedroom as indicated by the play's details?
4. What does Vanya think about the Professor's life now that he has gotten older?
5. What is Telegin helping Marina to do at the opening of this scene?
6. What is Vanya's complaint about his life since the Professor and his wife arrived at the house?
7. What is odd about the Professor's appearance according to Astrov and Vanya?
8. What does the workman request when he walks into the scene where the rest of the characters are?
9. What does the Professor think is the reason for his sudden shortness of breath as he is asking for a book?
10. What does Vanya think about the profession of the Professor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vanya seems to be a person who likes to have new things to talk about, new things to consider.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya always wants to talk about new things?
Part 2: What is so bad about talking about the same things again and again?
Part 3: Would you rather talk about new things or old things? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Marina notes that God will continue to think about the people of the future, even if the people of the future don't think much of the past.
Part 1: Why do you think the past is so important for Astrov in this play?
Part 2: Why do you think Marina keeps a positive outlook about how people will be remembered in the future?
Part 3: What does this play have to say about the past and the future? Is the play positive or negative about time in general?
Essay Topic 3
Yelena talks about how people destroy other people as well as destroying the forests around them.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena is quick to point out how people destroy other people?
Part 2: Do you agree that people are quick to destroy each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some reasons people might have for 'destroying' others in their lives?
This section contains 1,944 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)