|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Telegin points out that he still has __________ while his wife has nothing in her life and decisions.
2. _________ complains about how there is nothing else to talk about, nothing new to talk about.
3. ___________ sees that Vanya is drunk and tells him it's unfitting for someone his age.
4. ___________ tells Vanya he should spend more time creating harmony and reconciliation.
5. What does Yelena put on the Professor as it has fallen off of his as he slept?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Astrov believe a woman can become a friend of a man?
2. What does the Professor say about the medicine he wants Sonya to pass to him?
3. What does Yelena think about the fact that Astrov comes around to the house every day instead of monthly?
4. What does the workman request when he walks into the scene where the rest of the characters are?
5. Why does Vanya protest the announcement and the decision the Professor makes in his announcement?
6. What does Marina think about people who are living a hundred years in the future?
7. What does Astrov admit to Yelena in reference to his feelings about Sonya when Yelena asks him?
8. Why doesn't the Professor want the two women to go and to leave Vanya alone with him?
9. What is the argument that Sonya gives to Vanya in order to encourage him to give back the morphine?
10. What does Astrov return to the room with after Sonya has coaxed him into coming over to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Vanya seems to be a person who likes to have new things to talk about, new things to consider.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya always wants to talk about new things?
Part 2: What is so bad about talking about the same things again and again?
Part 3: Would you rather talk about new things or old things? Why?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)