|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vanya says that Yelena is his __________ which is why he is so miserable.
2. Who does the Professor think actually finds him the most offensive of anyone?
3. Where does the Professor feel serious pain when he wakes up from his sleep?
4. _________ admits that he is a vile man, even more so when he is drunk.
5. Who comes in to open the window and let in the fresh air that blows after the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Vanya supposedly stolen from Astrov, according to Astrov's accusation?
2. How does Astrov describe the project that he has been working on when he walks into the room?
3. What is painful for Vanya when he looks at Yelena, according to his own words as he is drunk?
4. What is the argument that Sonya gives to Vanya in order to encourage him to give back the morphine?
5. What is Marina doing as she is sitting at the start of the play in a country home in Russia?
6. When Marina asks Telegin where the gun is, what does Telegin reply to her?
7. What is the announcement the Professor makes to the characters in this scene?
8. What does Vanya say in response to the Professor's apology to him after he too apologizes?
9. Why doesn't Astrov leave the scene when Vanya asks him to leave?
10. What does Marina offer to Astrov as he paces during the opening scene of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The blatant alcoholism of Astrov makes him a character with whom many do not sympathize.
Part 1: Why is Astrov always using alcohol to solve his problems?
Part 2: Do you think alcohol is the only way for some people to handle problems in their life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Astrov do in order to handle the struggles of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Various characters at various times talk about how they regret many things they have not done.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are suddenly regretting things in the course of this play?
Part 2: Do you think a person should express their regrets? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might one avoid having regrets in one's life? Is this an impossible task?
Essay Topic 3
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)