|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the beginning of Act Two set as the play opens again?
2. What does Vanya's mother do as everyone else is talking during the scene after she enters?
3. Vanya notes that he and _________ have slaved for the Professor to keep the farm running profitably.
4. Vanya says that Yelena is his __________ which is why he is so miserable.
5. What has Maria received from a writer that she likes and she shares this with the rest of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Astrov admit to Vanya when he enters the scene with Telegin?
2. Who comes into the house from the woods as Astrov, Marina, and Vanya all stand or sit in the main room?
3. What does Yelena tell Vanya he should do after he begins to complain that he's had just about enough of himself?
4. What does Yelena say when Vanya comments that she staggers as she walks from sheer laziness?
5. What is the other function of Vanya's bedroom in the opening of this final act of the play?
6. What has Vanya supposedly stolen from Astrov, according to Astrov's accusation?
7. What does Vanya think about the Professor's life now that he has gotten older?
8. What does Astrov say when Sonya asks him when he might be back to the estate?
9. What is the memory that Astrov becomes lost in as he is talking with Marina?
10. What does the Professor say about the medicine he wants Sonya to pass to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Various characters at various times talk about how they regret many things they have not done.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are suddenly regretting things in the course of this play?
Part 2: Do you think a person should express their regrets? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might one avoid having regrets in one's life? Is this an impossible task?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)