|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ tells the Professor to stop being so difficult at this point of the play.
2. What does Vanya's mother do as everyone else is talking during the scene after she enters?
3. Yelena says that Astrov is right, people don't just destroy forests, they also destroy ____________.
4. What does Astrov give as his excuse for quickly leaving when Sonya enters the room?
5. Yelena and Sonya promise to be __________ again after many difficult weeks together.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another function of the bedroom as indicated by the play's details?
2. When does Astrov believe a woman can become a friend of a man?
3. What does Astrov return to the room with after Sonya has coaxed him into coming over to them?
4. What is the other function of Vanya's bedroom in the opening of this final act of the play?
5. What does Yelena say when Vanya comments that she staggers as she walks from sheer laziness?
6. What is odd about the Professor's appearance according to Astrov and Vanya?
7. What does Astrov admit to Yelena in reference to his feelings about Sonya when Yelena asks him?
8. What does Yelena suggest Astrov do in regards to his feelings about Sonya?
9. Why does Vanya believe that he is a foolish man after the events of the previous scene?
10. What does Vanya announce to everyone when he walks into this second scene of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vanya is also talking about the idea of killing himself and of getting away from the world.
Part 1: Do you think Vanya is serious about wanting to kill himself? Why or why not?
Part 2: What might you have done to reason with Vanya when he was talking about killing himself?
Part 3: Do you think Vanya has other reasons for saying that he just wants to kill himself? If so, what? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
The passage of time is something which is considered in this play as well. People get older, they change, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the passage of time is an important theme in this manuscript?
Part 2: Do you think that aging is always a depressing event? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you currently feel about getting older and about aging? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The blatant alcoholism of Astrov makes him a character with whom many do not sympathize.
Part 1: Why is Astrov always using alcohol to solve his problems?
Part 2: Do you think alcohol is the only way for some people to handle problems in their life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Astrov do in order to handle the struggles of his life?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)