|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Telegin sits next to Marina and talks about how happy he is because of _____________.
2. Telegin points out that he still has __________ while his wife has nothing in her life and decisions.
3. ___________ sees that Vanya is drunk and tells him it's unfitting for someone his age.
4. ____________ once had an attack of conscience when he was operating on a patient, thinking that the patient's death was his fault.
5. ________ tells the Professor to stop being so difficult at this point of the play.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Professor say about the medicine he wants Sonya to pass to him?
2. What is the other function of Vanya's bedroom in the opening of this final act of the play?
3. When Sonya returns, what does Astrov say he needs to do so he has to leave the room?
4. What does Vanya think about the profession of the Professor?
5. What has Vanya supposedly stolen from Astrov, according to Astrov's accusation?
6. What does Sonya ask Yelena to help her with in regards to her relationship?
7. What does Marina offer to Astrov as he paces during the opening scene of the play?
8. Why does Sonya send Marina off as Maria sits down and reads during this opening scene?
9. Why are Sonya and Astrov out looking for Vanya at this point of the play?
10. What is odd about the Professor's appearance according to Astrov and Vanya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yelena talks about how people destroy other people as well as destroying the forests around them.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena is quick to point out how people destroy other people?
Part 2: Do you agree that people are quick to destroy each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some reasons people might have for 'destroying' others in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Marina notes that God will continue to think about the people of the future, even if the people of the future don't think much of the past.
Part 1: Why do you think the past is so important for Astrov in this play?
Part 2: Why do you think Marina keeps a positive outlook about how people will be remembered in the future?
Part 3: What does this play have to say about the past and the future? Is the play positive or negative about time in general?
Essay Topic 3
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)