|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Professor ask Sonya to pass him, after which he says she's given him the wrong stuff?
2. __________ is dozing in chair by a window as Yelena dozes nearby at the beginning of this scene.
3. ___________ tells Vanya he should spend more time creating harmony and reconciliation.
4. What happened to the other man that Telegin's wife was seeing at one point?
5. Who plays on the guitar during this scene as Maria reads the piece of paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Professor think is the reason for his sudden shortness of breath as he is asking for a book?
2. What is Astrov's reasoning behind his constant drinking when Marina asks him about this habit?
3. What does Vanya tell everyone to do when he finally reenters the scene with Astrov?
4. What does Vanya say in response to the Professor's apology to him after he too apologizes?
5. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
6. What is Telegin helping Marina to do at the opening of this scene?
7. What does Yelena think about the fact that Astrov comes around to the house every day instead of monthly?
8. What has Vanya supposedly stolen from Astrov, according to Astrov's accusation?
9. What does Yelena tell Vanya he should do after he begins to complain that he's had just about enough of himself?
10. What does Marina recall as she is trying to answer the question of how long she and Astrov have known each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Astrov believes that places where trees have been well-tended are places where people are more artistic and wise.
Part 1: Why do you think Astrov speculates that well-tended areas of nature produce more artistic and wise people?
Part 2: Do you agree with the observation of Astrov? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think might also have an influence on people, making them more artistic and wise?
Essay Topic 2
This play seems to include many moments in which the characters discuss how bored they are with their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters are always so bored with their lives?
Part 2: Do you think the characters are doing enough to deal with the boredom they are facing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that boredom is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sonya points out that Vanya has been living on his illusions while she is working herself to exhaustion.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya is thought to be living on his illusions?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for Sonya to speak to Vanya in this way? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Sonya has to work herself to exhaustion? Or might she be playing the martyr?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)