|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ once had an attack of conscience when he was operating on a patient, thinking that the patient's death was his fault.
2. __________ says that a woman can only be a friend once they have been an acquaintance and then a mistress.
3. What does the Professor ask Sonya to pass him, after which he says she's given him the wrong stuff?
4. What does Yelena notice as Vanya is talking so she sends him off to bed?
5. Sonya complains that Vanya has been living on his ___________ while she's been working herself to exhaustion.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vanya believe that he is a foolish man after the events of the previous scene?
2. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
3. What does Vanya go out to do in order to make Yelena feel better?
4. What are some of the reasons Vanya gives for not being able to sleep at night?
5. Why doesn't the Professor want the two women to go and to leave Vanya alone with him?
6. What does Yelena say when Vanya comments that she staggers as she walks from sheer laziness?
7. What does Sonya say has been happening while Vanya has been living his illusions?
8. What does Marina recall as she is trying to answer the question of how long she and Astrov have known each other?
9. What does the Professor think is the reason for his sudden shortness of breath as he is asking for a book?
10. What does Sonya come into the room to remind the Professor of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Vanya is one that seems to be looking for attention much of the time, always thinking that others aren't noticing him.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya wants more attention in this play?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya deserves to have more attention than he is given within the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might be different if Vanya was more confident in himself?
Essay Topic 2
Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time and energy creating harmony.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time on creating harmony?
Part 2: How might Vanya begin to create more harmony in his own life?
Part 3: Do you think you spend your time and energy on creating harmony? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Telegin talks about how having his pride is something that he cherishes since he separated from his wife.
Part 1: Why do you think Telegin is satisfied with simply having his pride?
Part 2: Do you think you could be satisfied with your life after breaking up with someone?
Part 3: How will Telegin's actions affect his children? Why?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)