|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Professor feel serious pain when he wakes up from his sleep?
2. A workman enters the scene and asks for _________ as they need him at the factory.
3. Sonya complains that Vanya has been living on his ___________ while she's been working herself to exhaustion.
4. ________ tells Sonya he will not listen to any phone calls from the Professor anymore.
5. What is Marina knitting when the scene opens during the first act of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Astrov return to the room with after Sonya has coaxed him into coming over to them?
2. What does Yelena tell Vanya to do after an awkward moment with Astrov?
3. What does the workman request when he walks into the scene where the rest of the characters are?
4. Why does Vanya protest the announcement and the decision the Professor makes in his announcement?
5. What is Vanya's complaint about his life since the Professor and his wife arrived at the house?
6. What does the Professor tell Marina as soon as he walks into the house without being let inside?
7. What does Sonya ask Yelena to help her with in regards to her relationship?
8. What does Vanya say in his soliloquy about the Professor before the current time and how they supported each other?
9. What does Vanya tell Yelena about the storm that is about to be upon them?
10. What does Sonya come into the room to remind the Professor of?
Essay Topic 1
The blatant alcoholism of Astrov makes him a character with whom many do not sympathize.
Part 1: Why is Astrov always using alcohol to solve his problems?
Part 2: Do you think alcohol is the only way for some people to handle problems in their life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Astrov do in order to handle the struggles of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time and energy creating harmony.
Part 1: Why do you think Yelena points out that Vanya should spend more time on creating harmony?
Part 2: How might Vanya begin to create more harmony in his own life?
Part 3: Do you think you spend your time and energy on creating harmony? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Vanya is one that seems to be looking for attention much of the time, always thinking that others aren't noticing him.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya wants more attention in this play?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya deserves to have more attention than he is given within the play?
Part 3: How do you think the play might be different if Vanya was more confident in himself?
This section contains 1,922 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)