|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A workman enters the scene and asks for _________ as they need him at the factory.
2. Where does the Professor want Yelena to look for a particular book the following day?
3. What does Astrov joke about during this opening scene, saying that it is oversized?
4. Astrov reminds ___________ that he is there to see the Professor, who called for the doctor the day before.
5. Who does Astrov invite to drop in on him at his small estate, and this person says that staying in the trees can not be exciting?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Astrov believe a woman can become a friend of a man?
2. What does Yelena suggest Astrov do in regards to his feelings about Sonya?
3. When Sonya returns, what does Astrov say he needs to do so he has to leave the room?
4. What does Sonya say has been happening while Vanya has been living his illusions?
5. What does Astrov return to the room with after Sonya has coaxed him into coming over to them?
6. Why does Vanya believe that he is a foolish man after the events of the previous scene?
7. What is another function of the bedroom as indicated by the play's details?
8. What does Vanya announce to everyone when he walks into this second scene of the play?
9. Why doesn't the Professor want the two women to go and to leave Vanya alone with him?
10. What is painful for Vanya when he looks at Yelena, according to his own words as he is drunk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene in which Vanya tries to shoot the Professor is a dramatic one, though it does not result in death or even in change.
Part 1: Why do you think Vanya tried to shoot the Professor, twice, in this scene?
Part 2: Do you think Vanya intended to hurt the Professor? Why or why not?
Part 3: What else might Vanya have done to persuade the Professor? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At many points of this play, the characters seem to be ready to argue with each other over even the littlest things.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters feel the need to argue so often?
Part 2: Why do you think the characters don't talk about things in a calmer and more reasonable manner?
Part 3: How might the play change if people were to speak to each other in a more mature fashion?
Essay Topic 3
It's pointed out that Vanya used to have convictions, but he doesn't seem to have any anymore.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a person to have convictions? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Maria is concerned that Vanya doesn't have convictions anymore?
Part 3: Do you think you have convictions right now? Why or why not?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)