|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________ complains about how there is nothing else to talk about, nothing new to talk about.
(d) The Professor.
2. Yelena promises Sonya she really did marry the Professor for __________, in conflict with Sonya's suspicions.
3. __________ says that a woman can only be a friend once they have been an acquaintance and then a mistress.
(b) The Professor.
4. __________ is dozing in chair by a window as Yelena dozes nearby at the beginning of this scene.
(d) The Professor.
5. What does the Professor think will happen if Vanya sits with him for a while?
(a) He will sing.
(b) He will just talk.
(c) He will kill him.
(d) He will play his guitar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship of Telegin to Sonya during the course of this play?
2. Who complains they have had just about enough of the Professor?
3. Yelena says that she is a minor __________ in her husband's life, as well as feeling that way in her entire life.
4. What has Maria received from a writer that she likes and she shares this with the rest of the house?
5. What does Vanya come in to announce is going to happen during this second act?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vanya think about the profession of the Professor?
2. What are some of the things Sonya suggests Yelena do if she is really as bored as she seems?
3. What is the argument that Sonya gives to Vanya in order to encourage him to give back the morphine?
4. How does Astrov describe the project that he has been working on when he walks into the room?
5. What happens when the Professor wakes up from his nap at the start of this scene?
6. Why does Vanya believe that he is a foolish man after the events of the previous scene?
7. What does Astrov return to the room with after Sonya has coaxed him into coming over to them?
8. What does Marina offer to Astrov as he paces during the opening scene of the play?
9. What does Vanya say in response to the Professor's apology to him after he too apologizes?
10. What is Marina doing as she is sitting at the start of the play in a country home in Russia?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)