|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yelena, it is said, married the Professor when he was already _________.
(b) Done with love.
(c) Set in his ways.
2. Astrov reminds ___________ that he is there to see the Professor, who called for the doctor the day before.
3. What does Vanya's mother do as everyone else is talking during the scene after she enters?
(a) Begins to settle the accounts.
(b) Sits in a corner and reads.
(c) Cleans up the table.
(d) Starts making dinner.
4. Astrov talks about whether people of today will be remembered, and Marina says that _______ will remember.
(c) No one.
5. Who makes an exclamation which keeps Telegin and Sonya stay outside?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yelena put on the Professor as it has fallen off of his as he slept?
2. What does Astrov joke about during this opening scene, saying that it is oversized?
3. Yelena says that Astrov is right, people don't just destroy forests, they also destroy ____________.
4. Astrov returns, now wearing a __________ and a tie when Sonya tells him to have a drink.
5. Who asks Telegin to begin playing music, though he is quickly told not to by another character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Astrov's reasoning behind his constant drinking when Marina asks him about this habit?
2. What does Vanya tell Yelena about the storm that is about to be upon them?
3. What is the announcement the Professor makes to the characters in this scene?
4. What are some of the reasons Vanya gives for not being able to sleep at night?
5. What does Marina think about people who are living a hundred years in the future?
6. Why doesn't the Professor want the two women to go and to leave Vanya alone with him?
7. What is Marina doing as she is sitting at the start of the play in a country home in Russia?
8. What does Vanya think about the profession of the Professor?
9. What does the workman request when he walks into the scene where the rest of the characters are?
10. What is another function of the bedroom as indicated by the play's details?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)