|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yelena suggests that being with Vanya would ____________ as Vanya just wants to possess her.
(a) Lead to children.
(b) Bore her.
(c) Help her.
(d) Destroy her.
2. _________ complains about how there is nothing else to talk about, nothing new to talk about.
(c) The Professor.
3. What has Maria received from a writer that she likes and she shares this with the rest of the house?
(a) A phone call.
(b) A pamphlet.
(c) A personal letter.
(d) A picture.
4. What happened to the other man that Telegin's wife was seeing at one point?
(a) He died.
(b) He left her.
(c) He married her.
(d) No one knows.
5. The Professor believes that as he grows older he is becoming more ___________ to himself and to others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the beginning of Act Two set as the play opens again?
2. ___________ interrupts Astrov's speech by saying that he still uses wood in his outhouses and fireplaces.
3. What does Sonya point out has gone cold on them as they were speaking?
4. ________ tells Sonya he will not listen to any phone calls from the Professor anymore.
5. ________ could have proposed marriage to Yelena before she met her current husband, though he did not.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Astrov's reasoning behind his constant drinking when Marina asks him about this habit?
2. Why does Sonya send Marina off as Maria sits down and reads during this opening scene?
3. What happens when the Professor wakes up from his nap at the start of this scene?
4. What does Vanya tell everyone to do when he finally reenters the scene with Astrov?
5. What is the other function of Vanya's bedroom in the opening of this final act of the play?
6. What happened when Astrov, in his memory, tried to operate on a patient who died on the table?
7. What are some of the things Sonya suggests Yelena do if she is really as bored as she seems?
8. What does Yelena do when the Professor wakes up from his nap on the chair?
9. What does Marina offer to Astrov as he paces during the opening scene of the play?
10. When Marina asks Telegin where the gun is, what does Telegin reply to her?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)