|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who doesn't Sonya want involved in the drunken binges of Astrov?
2. ___________ interrupts Astrov's speech by saying that he still uses wood in his outhouses and fireplaces.
3. Where is the beginning of Act Two set as the play opens again?
(a) The dining room.
(b) The bedroom.
(c) The office.
4. Vanya says the Yelena is faithful in her marriage, but her faithfulness is _______________.
(a) A duty.
(b) The truth.
(d) Wearing away.
5. Where does the Professor want Yelena to look for a particular book the following day?
(a) A school.
(c) His study.
6. Astrov says that he drinks because __________ is a dull, stupid, dirty business.
7. Who gets offended when Yelena calls him by the wrong name, though he's at the table with her each day?
8. What does Astrov joke about during this opening scene, saying that it is oversized?
9. What is the relationship of Telegin to Sonya during the course of this play?
10. Astrov returns, now wearing a __________ and a tie when Sonya tells him to have a drink.
(a) Military jacket.
11. Yelena says that Astrov is right, people don't just destroy forests, they also destroy ____________.
(b) Other people.
12. Who does Astrov invite to drop in on him at his small estate, and this person says that staying in the trees can not be exciting?
(b) The Professor.
13. Sonya talks about how Astrov feels that where __________ are well-tended, the people are more artisitic.
14. What is the Professor wearing when he enters the scene with his wife?
(a) Blue jeans.
(b) Black overcoat.
(c) Swimming trunks.
(d) A tuxedo.
15. Vanya thinks the Professor writes books about _________ without knowing anything about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Astrov is pacing by Marina, what does Marina first offer to him in order to calm him?
2. __________ says that a woman can only be a friend once they have been an acquaintance and then a mistress.
3. What does Astrov give as his excuse for quickly leaving when Sonya enters the room?
4. What does Yelena put on the Professor as it has fallen off of his as he slept?
5. The Professor believes that as he grows older he is becoming more ___________ to himself and to others.
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)