|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Legree's former mistress?
2. At the lake, who is it that finally insists that Eva should see a doctor?
3. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
4. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
5. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
Essay Topic 1
The subject of religion, specifically Christianity, abounds in Uncle Tom's Cabin. Discuss how Stowe's characterization of Uncle Tom embodied the principles of Christianity--namely that of faith, forgiveness, compassion, and belief in an afterlife. Refer to specific instances from the novel to illustrate these various components of Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Stowe has the frail, wealthy white child, Eva befriend and defend Topsy, the abused and incorrigible slave child who is with her family. Explain what purpose their contrasting characters and relationship has in furthering Stowe's feelings about slavery, morality, and religion.
Essay Topic 3
In Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe pits slavery against Christianity. Explore how she comes to depict the incompatibility of the two institutions, slavery and Christianity by referring to and exploring specific situations throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)