Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Legree's former mistress?
2. At the lake, who is it that finally insists that Eva should see a doctor?
3. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
4. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
5. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
The subject of religion, specifically Christianity, abounds in Uncle Tom's Cabin. Discuss how Stowe's characterization of Uncle Tom embodied the principles of Christianity--namely that of faith, forgiveness, compassion, and belief in an afterlife. Refer to specific instances from the novel to illustrate these various components of Christianity.
In Uncle Tom's Cabin, Stowe has her principle black characters return to Africa and do missionary work. Evaluate that "ending" versus having them remain in Canada. What does this ending suggest about her feelings about:
a. racial integration,
b. the eventual abolition of slavery,
c. the contribution of blacks to American society, and
d. the obligation that white Americans had to the slaves that they obtained and exploited?
You may decide to write about three or all four of these topics.
One of the necessary components of a tragic hero is that he dies. In Uncle Tom's Cabin, Tom dies. If the reader accepts that Tom is a hero, what other qualities of a hero does Tom exemplify?
Conversely, you may decide that Tom is not a hero. If so, refer to specific incidents or quotations that support your view.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)