Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Legree's former mistress?
2. At the lake, who is it that finally insists that Eva should see a doctor?
3. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
4. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
5. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in this novel are representative of qualities that Stowe wants to pit against one another. To that end, contrast the characters of Tom and Legree and discuss what qualities these two characters most embody.
Essay Topic 2
In Uncle Tom's Cabin, Stowe has her principle black characters return to Africa and do missionary work. Evaluate that "ending" versus having them remain in Canada. What does this ending suggest about her feelings about:
a. racial integration,
b. the eventual abolition of slavery,
c. the contribution of blacks to American society, and
d. the obligation that white Americans had to the slaves that they obtained and exploited?
You may decide to write about three or all four of these topics.
Essay Topic 3
In the world of Uncle Tom's Cabin slavery is legal, escaping a plantation is illegal, being a slave catcher is a job, and as such, it is legal. How does Stowe explore the theme of legality versus morality through what we learn happens on plantations, the consequences of escaping, and the responsibilities slave catching?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)