|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
2. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
3. Once Emmeline is at the Legree plantation, what does Emmeline try to convince another woman to do with her?
4. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
5. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the necessary components of a tragic hero is that he dies. In Uncle Tom's Cabin, Tom dies. If the reader accepts that Tom is a hero, what other qualities of a hero does Tom exemplify?
Conversely, you may decide that Tom is not a hero. If so, refer to specific incidents or quotations that support your view.
Essay Topic 2
Imagery is a powerful literary device. How does the imagery in the descriptions of various homes, such as Tom's cabin, the home of the Quaker family, and the Legree plantation serve to extend the characterization of the people who live in these homes?
Essay Topic 3
Stowe has the frail, wealthy white child, Eva befriend and defend Topsy, the abused and incorrigible slave child who is with her family. Explain what purpose their contrasting characters and relationship has in furthering Stowe's feelings about slavery, morality, and religion.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)