|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After young George Shelby returns from the Legree plantation, what option does George Shelby offer his former slaves as he frees them?
2. In what city is the confectioner's shop (bakery that interests the Shelby plantation women)?
3. What happened in the weeks following the death at the St. Clare villa that most influenced Augustine and led to changes he made in the running of his household?
4. When Aunt Chloe gets a letter from Tom, what issue does it raise in the Shelby household?
5. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ironic about Emmeline's being brought up "by the Bible?"
2. How do the physical descriptions of Simon Legree himself and his plantation symbolize his character?
3. With all the happy endings in the book, why might Stowe have chosen to have Tom, the most beloved character, beat to death?
4. Why is Cassy a key character in through whom Stowe explores Simon Legree's temperament and treatment of slaves?
5. Why might Stowe have had the significant black characters who are now free end up going to Africa to do missionary work?
6. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
7. What purpose does Augustine St. Clare's defense of slavery serve to the reader?
8. What do readers learn about the development of a person from the relationship between Eva and Topsy?
9. What are the similarities between Aunt Chloe And Mrs. Shelby which are emphasized?
10. How does the language of Eliza and George's escape to freedom reflect the mood of this journey--"The blue waves of Lake Erie danced, rippling and sparkling in the sunlight. A fresh breeze blew from the shore, and the lordly boat ploughed her way right gallantly onward."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The term "Uncle Tom" has come to have a very disparaging, insulting meaning in our modern society. It has come to describe an African American whom other African Americans consider to be subservient to white people and who treats whites in a way that suggests they are superior. This term comes from the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin. After reading this novel, decide whether a reader should be empathetic to Tom's treatment of whites or whether this character deserves this reputation. Obviously, to answer this question, the writer must refer to specific deeds or quotations from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes of Uncle Tom's Cabin explores man's inhumanity to his fellow man. Discuss this theme by referring to specific incidents in the novel or relationships that expand on this theme.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin who exemplify courage; conversely, there are several who exemplify cowardice. Identify these characters as their depiction of courage or cowardice. Then specifically refer to what actions or words of theirs come to embody these qualities and define courage and cowardice.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)