Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom do Sam and Andy tell the story of Eliza's escape?
2. Who is Aunt Chloe?
3. What family protects Eliza and Harry once they have crossed the river?
4. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
5. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare or contrast Mr. Shelby's and Mr. Haley's opinions on how to treat slaves should be treated.
2. What provides the comic relief in Chapter 6?
3. How does this chapter about Tom's leaving further the theme of Christianity versus the law that has been developed so far?
4. What are the two things in this historical fiction that were real and introduced in Chapter 9?
5. What is the author's purpose in having Sam tell the story of Eliza's escape and Mr. Haley's failed attempts to catch her?
6. What does the reader's first impression of Harry reveal about him?
7. What does the death of Augustine emphasize about the lives and futures of their slaves?
8. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
9. What are two good reasons that "The Mother's Struggle" is an appropriate title for Chapter 7?
10. When and how do George and Eliza show their true religious nature?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes of Uncle Tom's Cabin explores man's inhumanity to his fellow man. Discuss this theme by referring to specific incidents in the novel or relationships that expand on this theme.
Essay Topic 2
One of the necessary components of a tragic hero is that he dies. In Uncle Tom's Cabin, Tom dies. If the reader accepts that Tom is a hero, what other qualities of a hero does Tom exemplify?
Conversely, you may decide that Tom is not a hero. If so, refer to specific incidents or quotations that support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Miss Ophelia, Augustine St. Clare's aunt who arrives in New Orleans from New England, is the only fully drawn character from the North. How does the addition of the this character to the antebellum South work to help Stowe further her argument against the inhumane treatment of and beliefs about blacks?
This section contains 1,857 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)