|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aunt Chloe's primary responsibility of the plantation?
2. To whom do Sam and Andy tell the story of Eliza's escape?
3. When does Mrs. Shelby first learn the details about Mr. Haley's visit to the plantation?
4. Who are Lokar and Marks?
5. What is it that makes Eliza feel momentarily sad as she runs away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's purpose in having Sam tell the story of Eliza's escape and Mr. Haley's failed attempts to catch her?
2. How does one detect a difference in the manners between Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley?
3. What is the effect of describing the actual cabin of Uncle Tom as a place where flowers grow and people worship and eat together?
4. How does the reader know that Mr. Shelby regards his wife's happiness as important?
5. What is effect of the description of life at the Hallidays?
6. What is the significance of John Von Trompe being described as a former "land-holder and slave owner in the state of Kentucky?"
7. What are two good reasons that "The Mother's Struggle" is an appropriate title for Chapter 7?
8. How might the modern reader interpret Mr. Shelby's plan to be absent from the plantation when Tom is to be taken away?
9. Compare or contrast Mr. Shelby's and Mr. Haley's opinions on how to treat slaves should be treated.
10. How are Miss Ophelia's views of blacks more complicated than the racial views of other whites we have met so far?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe pits slavery against Christianity. Explore how she comes to depict the incompatibility of the two institutions, slavery and Christianity by referring to and exploring specific situations throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
One of the necessary components of a tragic hero is that he dies. In Uncle Tom's Cabin, Tom dies. If the reader accepts that Tom is a hero, what other qualities of a hero does Tom exemplify?
Conversely, you may decide that Tom is not a hero. If so, refer to specific incidents or quotations that support your view.
Essay Topic 3
In Uncle Tom's Cabin, Stowe has her principle black characters return to Africa and do missionary work. Evaluate that "ending" versus having them remain in Canada. What does this ending suggest about her feelings about:
a. racial integration,
b. the eventual abolition of slavery,
c. the contribution of blacks to American society, and
d. the obligation that white Americans had to the slaves that they obtained and exploited?
You may decide to write about three or all four of these topics.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)