|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After young George Shelby returns from the Legree plantation, what option does George Shelby offer his former slaves as he frees them?
(a) To write each of them letters of recommendation for employment.
(b) To keep them on as paid employees.
(c) To arrange for their transportation to Canada.
(d) To arrange for their transportation to Africa to become missionaries.
2. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
(a) Miss Ophelia.
(b) Marie St. Clare.
(d) Augustine St. Clare.
3. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) William Jennings Bryan.
(c) Horace Mann.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
4. What state are George and Eliza in when the reader catches up with their story in Chapter 37?
(a) New York.
(c) New Hampshire.
5. When Eliza travels to Canada, what other member of her party is in disguise?
(a) Ms. Smyth.
(b) Aunt Dorcas.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
2. In Chapter 45 what other "character" does the reader learn is based upon the same story as old Pru?
3. At the conclusion of Chapter 41, whose suffering from being beaten does Quimbo and Sambo witness?
4. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
5. While Tom is a slave on the Legree plantation, who tries to convince Tom to kill Legree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities between Aunt Chloe And Mrs. Shelby which are emphasized?
2. What does Stowe insist that Northerners do to truly live by their Christian beliefs?
3. What does the death of Augustine emphasize about the lives and futures of their slaves?
4. How is Tom's death the epitome of selflessness and forgiveness?
5. Why might Simon Legree "secretly dislike" Tom and why was it so important for him to get Tom to whip a person?
6. How does Miss Ophelia's feelings about "training" Topsy reveal what the problem is for people who attempt to control their servants or slaves with violence?
7. Why might Stowe have had the significant black characters who are now free end up going to Africa to do missionary work?
8. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
9. With all the happy endings in the book, why might Stowe have chosen to have Tom, the most beloved character, beat to death?
10. What purpose does Augustine St. Clare's defense of slavery serve to the reader?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)