|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit the St. Clare family during the summer at Lake Pontchartrain?
(a) Henrique and Henriquetta.
(b) Alfred and Henrique.
(c) Alfred and Alfreda.
(d) Alfreda and Henriquetta.
2. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
(a) They are burned.
(b) They are made fun of.
(c) They are sold.
(d) They are divided up among other slaves.
3. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) An axe.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pistol.
4. In what city is the confectioner's shop (bakery that interests the Shelby plantation women)?
(c) Kentucky City.
5. While Tom spends time outdoors with Eva, where is it that Eva tells Uncle Tom she will be going to soon?
(b) Lake Pontchartrain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
2. Who is the "quadroon" that is the subject of chapter 34 entitled "The Quadroon's Story?"
3. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
4. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
5. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities between Aunt Chloe And Mrs. Shelby which are emphasized?
2. What does the death of Augustine emphasize about the lives and futures of their slaves?
3. How is Tom's death the epitome of selflessness and forgiveness?
4. What purpose does Augustine St. Clare's defense of slavery serve to the reader?
5. What is the ironic about Emmeline's being brought up "by the Bible?"
6. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
7. How does the language of Eliza and George's escape to freedom reflect the mood of this journey--"The blue waves of Lake Erie danced, rippling and sparkling in the sunlight. A fresh breeze blew from the shore, and the lordly boat ploughed her way right gallantly onward."
8. How is Cassy and Emmeline's "escape" from Legree bittersweet?
9. Why might Simon Legree "secretly dislike" Tom and why was it so important for him to get Tom to whip a person?
10. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)