|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
(c) Madame de Thoux.
(d) A Canadian fur store owner.
2. After they get the letter from Tom, what does Aunt Chloe ask Mrs. Shelby to write for her?
(a) Directions to New Orleans.
(b) A letter to Tom.
(c) A pass and a recommendation.
(d) Directions to the nearest city.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 41, who dies on the Shelby plantation?
(a) Aunt Chloe.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Young Master George.
4. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
(a) Quebec City.
5. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(a) Marie St. Clare's.
(c) Augustine St. Clare's.
(d) Miss Ophelia's.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
2. When George, Eliza and Harry finally reach Canada, what is the name of the Canadian town where the boat they are on docks?
3. When Tom goes out to work in the fields at Legree's plantation, who does Tom help pick cotton in the fields?
4. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
5. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities between Aunt Chloe And Mrs. Shelby which are emphasized?
2. With all the happy endings in the book, why might Stowe have chosen to have Tom, the most beloved character, beat to death?
3. What is ironic about how and why Augustine St. Clare dies?
4. What event triggers the turning point in Augustine's religious beliefs and who is responsible for his religious education here?
5. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
6. Why might Simon Legree "secretly dislike" Tom and why was it so important for him to get Tom to whip a person?
7. How is Tom's death the epitome of selflessness and forgiveness?
8. How do the events on the boat suggest that the novel is nearing a conclusion of a story?
9. Explain how the following passage is foreshadowing: "the rays of the sun formed a kind of glory behind her [Eva], as she came forward in her white dress, with her golden hair and glowing cheeks, her eyes unnaturally bright..."
10. What does Stowe insist that Northerners do to truly live by their Christian beliefs?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)