|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Horace Mann.
(c) Robert E. Lee.
(d) William Jennings Bryan.
2. On the first night at the Legree plantation, what does Tom dream of when he falls asleep?
(a) Being with his wife and children.
(b) Eva reading to him from the Bible.
3. To whom does Eva give reading lessons?
(b) Her mother.
4. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
(b) Mrs. St. Clare's.
(d) Uncle Tom's.
5. When Eva is alone in her room, why does Eva cut her hair?
(a) To make doll hair for a doll for Topsy.
(b) To give locks of hair to people to remember her by.
(c) To make herself look older.
(d) To make washing her hair less difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Topsy come to Eva's room daily?
2. What is the name of the newest child slave at the St. Clare household?
3. When Rosa and Ophelia think they see Topsy hiding something she has stolen, what does this item turn out to be?
4. Who is Dodo?
5. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
2. What are the similarities between Aunt Chloe And Mrs. Shelby which are emphasized?
3. How do the physical descriptions of Simon Legree himself and his plantation symbolize his character?
4. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
5. How does the language of Eliza and George's escape to freedom reflect the mood of this journey--"The blue waves of Lake Erie danced, rippling and sparkling in the sunlight. A fresh breeze blew from the shore, and the lordly boat ploughed her way right gallantly onward."
6. What happens in Chapter 38 where Tom is left along often that actually foreshadows Tom's death?
7. Why might Simon Legree "secretly dislike" Tom and why was it so important for him to get Tom to whip a person?
8. How is Cassy and Emmeline's "escape" from Legree bittersweet?
9. What do readers learn about the development of a person from the relationship between Eva and Topsy?
10. What is the ironic about Emmeline's being brought up "by the Bible?"
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)