|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit the St. Clare family during the summer at Lake Pontchartrain?
(a) Alfred and Alfreda.
(b) Alfreda and Henriquetta.
(c) Henrique and Henriquetta.
(d) Alfred and Henrique.
2. At the conclusion of Chapter 41, whose suffering from being beaten does Quimbo and Sambo witness?
(c) Cassy's and Emmeline's.
3. Who on the Shelby plantation offers first to earn extra money in Chapter 21?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Mrs. Shelby.
(c) Young Master Tom Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
4. When Eliza travels to Canada, what other member of her party is in disguise?
(b) Aunt Dorcas.
(d) Ms. Smyth.
5. When Tom goes out to work in the fields at Legree's plantation, who does Tom help pick cotton in the fields?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general opinion of Miss Ophelia in the St. Clare household?
2. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
3. Why does Topsy come to Eva's room daily?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 41, who dies on the Shelby plantation?
5. While Tom is a slave on the Legree plantation, who tries to convince Tom to kill Legree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tom's death the epitome of selflessness and forgiveness?
2. How do the events on the boat suggest that the novel is nearing a conclusion of a story?
3. What happens in Chapter 38 where Tom is left along often that actually foreshadows Tom's death?
4. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
5. What purpose does Augustine St. Clare's defense of slavery serve to the reader?
6. How does the language of Eliza and George's escape to freedom reflect the mood of this journey--"The blue waves of Lake Erie danced, rippling and sparkling in the sunlight. A fresh breeze blew from the shore, and the lordly boat ploughed her way right gallantly onward."
7. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
8. How is Cassy and Emmeline's "escape" from Legree bittersweet?
9. Why might Stowe have had the significant black characters who are now free end up going to Africa to do missionary work?
10. What is Mr. Shelby's objection to Mrs. Shelby having taught religion to the slaves?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)