|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the newest child slave at the St. Clare household?
2. At the end of Chapter 45, who does Stowe say will have "a heavy account to answer?"
(a) The Northerners who did nothing to fight slavery.
(b) The Southern slave owners.
(c) The Christian church.
(d) The President of the United States.
3. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
(a) They are asked to sit and they are given a number.
(b) They are questioned about their strength and given an endurance test.
(c) They are well fed and well cleaned.
(d) They are asked to give their last two owners' histories.
4. To whom does Eva give reading lessons?
(d) Her mother.
5. In the author's last chapter in which she discusses the sources for her novel, who does she say told Stowe of the story of "old Pru?"
(a) Her father.
(b) Her editor.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Eva is alone in her room, why does Eva cut her hair?
2. Who is Dodo?
3. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
4. When Tom goes out to work in the fields at Legree's plantation, who does Tom help pick cotton in the fields?
5. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the events on the boat suggest that the novel is nearing a conclusion of a story?
2. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
3. What is the ironic about Emmeline's being brought up "by the Bible?"
4. What does Stowe insist that Northerners do to truly live by their Christian beliefs?
5. How does the language of Eliza and George's escape to freedom reflect the mood of this journey--"The blue waves of Lake Erie danced, rippling and sparkling in the sunlight. A fresh breeze blew from the shore, and the lordly boat ploughed her way right gallantly onward."
6. What happens in Chapter 38 where Tom is left along often that actually foreshadows Tom's death?
7. What is Mr. Shelby's objection to Mrs. Shelby having taught religion to the slaves?
8. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
9. What is ironic about how and why Augustine St. Clare dies?
10. Why might Simon Legree "secretly dislike" Tom and why was it so important for him to get Tom to whip a person?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)