|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
(a) Mrs. St. Clare's.
(d) Uncle Tom's.
2. At the slave auction, what does Emmeline do when Legree examined her?
(a) Asks her mother to stop him.
(b) Pushes him away.
(c) Asks him not to touch her.
3. At the lake, who is it that finally insists that Eva should see a doctor?
(a) Miss Ophelia.
(b) Mrs. St. Clare, her mother.
(c) Mr. St. Clare, her father.
(d) Uncle Tom.
4. What is it that Topsy does that angers Miss Ophelia?
(a) Cuts up her bonnets and makes doll's jackets from them.
(b) Refuses to eat the food that the other slaves eat.
(c) Tries to play with Eva and Eva's toys.
(d) Has a tantrum and throws things around Miss Ophelia's room.
5. Who is Madame de Thoux?
(a) Eliza's sister.
(b) George's sister.
(c) George's mother.
(d) Eliza's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
2. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
3. On the first night at the Legree plantation, what does Tom dream of when he falls asleep?
4. To whom does Eva give reading lessons?
5. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the following passage is foreshadowing: "the rays of the sun formed a kind of glory behind her [Eva], as she came forward in her white dress, with her golden hair and glowing cheeks, her eyes unnaturally bright..."
2. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
3. How do the events on the boat suggest that the novel is nearing a conclusion of a story?
4. What does Stowe insist that Northerners do to truly live by their Christian beliefs?
5. What are the similarities between Aunt Chloe And Mrs. Shelby which are emphasized?
6. Why is Cassy a key character in through whom Stowe explores Simon Legree's temperament and treatment of slaves?
7. What is the ironic about Emmeline's being brought up "by the Bible?"
8. What event triggers the turning point in Augustine's religious beliefs and who is responsible for his religious education here?
9. How do the physical descriptions of Simon Legree himself and his plantation symbolize his character?
10. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)