|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
(c) Lucy .
2. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
(a) A knife.
(b) An axe.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A shotgun.
3. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
(d) Simon Legree.
4. Who is Dodo?
(a) A pet bird.
(b) A slave that belongs to a visiting child.
(c) A slave whom Eva meets at the lake.
(d) A pet dog.
5. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(a) A warm coat.
(c) Her own cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
2. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
3. Once Emmeline is at the Legree plantation, what does Emmeline try to convince another woman to do with her?
4. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
5. What is it that Topsy does that angers Miss Ophelia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tom's death the epitome of selflessness and forgiveness?
2. How does the language of Eliza and George's escape to freedom reflect the mood of this journey--"The blue waves of Lake Erie danced, rippling and sparkling in the sunlight. A fresh breeze blew from the shore, and the lordly boat ploughed her way right gallantly onward."
3. What does the death of Augustine emphasize about the lives and futures of their slaves?
4. Why might Stowe have had the significant black characters who are now free end up going to Africa to do missionary work?
5. Why might Stowe ends this chapter speaking directly to the reader about what might it feel like to be free for the first time?
6. What is Mr. Shelby's objection to Mrs. Shelby having taught religion to the slaves?
7. How does Miss Ophelia's feelings about "training" Topsy reveal what the problem is for people who attempt to control their servants or slaves with violence?
8. How do the events on the boat suggest that the novel is nearing a conclusion of a story?
9. How do the physical descriptions of Simon Legree himself and his plantation symbolize his character?
10. What happens in Chapter 38 where Tom is left along often that actually foreshadows Tom's death?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)