|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 29 ends, where is Tom on his way to?
(a) The ferry boat to meet his wife and children.
(b) The Shelby home.
(c) The ferry boat to see Miss Ophelia off.
(d) The slave auction.
2. While Tom spends time outdoors with Eva, where is it that Eva tells Uncle Tom she will be going to soon?
(d) Lake Pontchartrain.
3. At the conclusion of Chapter 41, whose suffering from being beaten does Quimbo and Sambo witness?
(c) Cassy's and Emmeline's.
4. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
(b) Miss Ophelia.
(c) Augustine St. Clare.
(d) Marie St. Clare.
5. Who is Legree's former mistress?
Short Answer Questions
1. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
2. What was the general opinion of Miss Ophelia in the St. Clare household?
3. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
4. Who on the Shelby plantation offers first to earn extra money in Chapter 21?
5. In Chapter 45 what other "character" does the reader learn is based upon the same story as old Pru?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
2. What does the death of Augustine emphasize about the lives and futures of their slaves?
3. What do readers learn about the development of a person from the relationship between Eva and Topsy?
4. Why might Stowe ends this chapter speaking directly to the reader about what might it feel like to be free for the first time?
5. What is ironic about how and why Augustine St. Clare dies?
6. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
7. What does Stowe insist that Northerners do to truly live by their Christian beliefs?
8. Why might Simon Legree "secretly dislike" Tom and why was it so important for him to get Tom to whip a person?
9. Why might Stowe have had the significant black characters who are now free end up going to Africa to do missionary work?
10. What event triggers the turning point in Augustine's religious beliefs and who is responsible for his religious education here?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)