|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Eliza travels to Canada, what other member of her party is in disguise?
(c) Aunt Dorcas.
(d) Ms. Smyth.
2. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
(b) A Canadian fur store owner.
(c) Madame de Thoux.
3. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(b) Marie St. Clare's.
(c) Augustine St. Clare's.
(d) Miss Ophelia's.
4. When Tom goes out to work in the fields at Legree's plantation, who does Tom help pick cotton in the fields?
5. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
(a) It is where Uncle Tom fishes.
(b) It is where Eva says she wants to visit.
(c) It is where Augustine wants to build a small plantation.
(d) It is where the St Clare family's summer villa is.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
2. According to Chapter 45, which characters are drawn from real people aboard the schooner named Pearl?
3. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
4. What illness has Tom Lokar been laid up with for three weeks?
5. What is it that Topsy does that angers Miss Ophelia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the events on the boat suggest that the novel is nearing a conclusion of a story?
2. What is Mr. Shelby's objection to Mrs. Shelby having taught religion to the slaves?
3. Explain how the following passage is foreshadowing: "the rays of the sun formed a kind of glory behind her [Eva], as she came forward in her white dress, with her golden hair and glowing cheeks, her eyes unnaturally bright..."
4. How does Miss Ophelia's feelings about "training" Topsy reveal what the problem is for people who attempt to control their servants or slaves with violence?
5. What are the similarities between Aunt Chloe And Mrs. Shelby which are emphasized?
6. What does Stowe insist that Northerners do to truly live by their Christian beliefs?
7. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
8. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
9. What do readers learn about the development of a person from the relationship between Eva and Topsy?
10. Why might Stowe have had the significant black characters who are now free end up going to Africa to do missionary work?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)