|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
(a) It is where Uncle Tom fishes.
(b) It is where Augustine wants to build a small plantation.
(c) It is where the St Clare family's summer villa is.
(d) It is where Eva says she wants to visit.
2. Who was in charge of the new slave in St. Clare household?
(a) Eva St. Clare.
(b) Augustine St. Clare.
(c) Miss Ophelia.
(d) Marie St. Clare.
3. When Cassy and Emmeline hatch a plan to escape from the Legree plantation, how do Cassy and Emmeline disguise themselves?
(a) As Mexicans.
(b) As ghosts.
(c) As Spaniards.
(d) As French.
4. After young George Shelby returns from the Legree plantation, what option does George Shelby offer his former slaves as he frees them?
(a) To keep them on as paid employees.
(b) To write each of them letters of recommendation for employment.
(c) To arrange for their transportation to Canada.
(d) To arrange for their transportation to Africa to become missionaries.
5. Because of Legree's superstitious nature, who is the unlikely person that he fears?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dodo?
2. On the first night at the Legree plantation, what does Tom dream of when he falls asleep?
3. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
4. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
5. As Chapter 29 ends, where is Tom on his way to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Stowe have had the significant black characters who are now free end up going to Africa to do missionary work?
2. How is Tom's death the epitome of selflessness and forgiveness?
3. What do readers learn about the development of a person from the relationship between Eva and Topsy?
4. What does the death of Augustine emphasize about the lives and futures of their slaves?
5. What is the ironic about Emmeline's being brought up "by the Bible?"
6. As the loose ends of the story are tied up in Chapter 44, what is the purpose of Chapter 45, the final chapter?
7. What event triggers the turning point in Augustine's religious beliefs and who is responsible for his religious education here?
8. Why is Cassy a key character in through whom Stowe explores Simon Legree's temperament and treatment of slaves?
9. With all the happy endings in the book, why might Stowe have chosen to have Tom, the most beloved character, beat to death?
10. How do the physical descriptions of Simon Legree himself and his plantation symbolize his character?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)