|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(a) Augustine St. Clare's.
(c) Marie St. Clare's.
(d) Miss Ophelia's.
2. In what city is the confectioner's shop (bakery that interests the Shelby plantation women)?
(d) Kentucky City.
3. When Tom goes out to work in the fields at Legree's plantation, who does Tom help pick cotton in the fields?
4. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
(a) They are well fed and well cleaned.
(b) They are questioned about their strength and given an endurance test.
(c) They are asked to sit and they are given a number.
(d) They are asked to give their last two owners' histories.
5. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
(a) A knife.
(b) A pistol.
(c) An axe.
(d) A shotgun.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 45, which characters are drawn from real people aboard the schooner named Pearl?
2. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
3. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
4. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
5. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the following passage is foreshadowing: "the rays of the sun formed a kind of glory behind her [Eva], as she came forward in her white dress, with her golden hair and glowing cheeks, her eyes unnaturally bright..."
2. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
3. With all the happy endings in the book, why might Stowe have chosen to have Tom, the most beloved character, beat to death?
4. What are the similarities between Aunt Chloe And Mrs. Shelby which are emphasized?
5. How is Tom's death the epitome of selflessness and forgiveness?
6. What is Mr. Shelby's objection to Mrs. Shelby having taught religion to the slaves?
7. What does the death of Augustine emphasize about the lives and futures of their slaves?
8. How do the events on the boat suggest that the novel is nearing a conclusion of a story?
9. What do readers learn about the development of a person from the relationship between Eva and Topsy?
10. Why is Cassy a key character in through whom Stowe explores Simon Legree's temperament and treatment of slaves?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)