Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom do Sam and Andy tell the story of Eliza's escape?
(a) Mr. And Mrs. Shelby.
(b) All the slaves back at the plantation.
(c) Mr. Shelby and Mrs. Haley.
(d) Two slave traders.
2. Who is Aunt Chloe?
(a) Mr. Shelby's aunt who lives with them.
(b) Mrs. Shelby's name.
(c) A gardener.
(d) Uncle Tom's wife.
3. What family protects Eliza and Harry once they have crossed the river?
(a) The Stanwoods.
(b) The Hallidays.
(c) The Rachels.
(d) The Stedmans.
4. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
(a) After lunch.
(b) On Sundays while people are at church.
(c) At night.
(d) At dawn.
5. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
(a) Whether slavery is moral or immoral.
(b) Successful crops on their plantations.
(c) Their marriages.
(d) How Mr. Shelby will pay Mr. Haley the debt he owes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mr. Butler headed when the reader meets him in the tavern?
2. In the chapter titled "The Property is Carried Off" what is the "property" that is referred to here?
3. Why is the man who helps Eliza when she reaches the other side of the river so willing to help her?
4. To what place does George plan to travel?
5. What has Haley done to Tom that reveals that even Haley recognizes Tom's gentleness and loyalty to his master?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare or contrast Mr. Shelby's and Mr. Haley's opinions on how to treat slaves should be treated.
2. What provides the comic relief in Chapter 6?
3. How does this chapter about Tom's leaving further the theme of Christianity versus the law that has been developed so far?
4. What are the two things in this historical fiction that were real and introduced in Chapter 9?
5. What is the author's purpose in having Sam tell the story of Eliza's escape and Mr. Haley's failed attempts to catch her?
6. What does the reader's first impression of Harry reveal about him?
7. What does the death of Augustine emphasize about the lives and futures of their slaves?
8. How does the author use color and/or physical characteristics to symbolize the difference between Augustine and his daughter, Eva, and Alfred and his son, Henrique?
9. What are two good reasons that "The Mother's Struggle" is an appropriate title for Chapter 7?
10. When and how do George and Eliza show their true religious nature?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)