|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the boat bound for that Tom boards with Mr. Haley?
(a) Kansas City.
(c) New Orleans.
2. To what place does George plan to travel?
3. What does Harry do when he first meets Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley?
(a) He shyly asks for a piece of candy.
(b) He sings "America the Beautiful' for them.
(c) He sings and dances for them.
(d) He recites a childish poem he has made up.
4. Which character eavesdrops on Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's conversation?
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
5. At the end of the Chapter 16, what aspect of work does Tom say he has experience with?
(a) He knows how to plant crops.
(b) He knows how to cook.
(c) He knows how to take care of horses.
(d) He knows how supervise a house staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "Mr. Butler?"
2. What "happy days" does Eliza think of as she leaves the Shelby house?
3. Who is Dinah?
4. Who is absent from the plantation when Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's agreement moves into action?
5. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the physical descriptions of Simon Legree himself and his plantation symbolize his character?
2. What happens in Chapter 38 where Tom is left along often that actually foreshadows Tom's death?
3. What do readers learn about the development of a person from the relationship between Eva and Topsy?
4. How is the character of Phineas contrasted with that of Halliday?
5. What are two good reasons that "The Mother's Struggle" is an appropriate title for Chapter 7?
6. Why is Cassy a key character in through whom Stowe explores Simon Legree's temperament and treatment of slaves?
7. How does the language of Eliza and George's escape to freedom reflect the mood of this journey--"The blue waves of Lake Erie danced, rippling and sparkling in the sunlight. A fresh breeze blew from the shore, and the lordly boat ploughed her way right gallantly onward."
8. When and how do George and Eliza show their true religious nature?
9. Why is Uncle Tom's loyalty to his master such a subject of harsh criticism and ridicule?
10. What is unusual about Young Master Shelby teaching Tom how to write?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)