|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When George and Eliza are reunited, what is Eliza trying to convince George of?
(a) To live with the Hallidays for a while.
(b) To leave for Canada alone and then send for her and Harry.
(c) That it is better for the three of them to travel together.
(d) To become a Christian.
2. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
(a) At dawn.
(b) On Sundays while people are at church.
(c) After lunch.
(d) At night.
3. Who is the character "Mas'r George" who is teaching Uncle Tom how to write?
(a) Eliza's husband.
(b) Uncle Tom's eldest son.
(c) Mr. Shelby's son, George.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
4. Who is Albert?
(a) The auctioneer at the slave auction.
(b) A slave trader on the lookout for Eliza.
(c) A slave Haley bought.
(d) A friend of Haley's.
5. What does Eliza dream of on the first night that she is taken in and sleeping safely at the new family's house?
(a) A man coming across the yard to kidnap her.
(b) Happy, carefree days to come in Canada.
(c) Happy, carefree days at the Shelbys.
(d) A man coming with a notice for her capture--dead or alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is absent from the plantation when Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's agreement moves into action?
2. Why are the ferry boats not running when Eliza is out crossing the river?
3. What is it that makes Eliza feel momentarily sad as she runs away?
4. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
5. How does Mrs. Shelby view the news of "her" slaves being sold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is effect of the description of life at the Hallidays?
2. How does the treatment of George by his master compare or contrast with how Eliza is treated by her owners.
3. How does the reader know that Mr. Shelby regards his wife's happiness as important?
4. What are two good reasons that "The Mother's Struggle" is an appropriate title for Chapter 7?
5. How does the reader know that Eliza trusts Mrs. Shelby?
6. Why do black people in the novel freely use the "n" word?
7. What is unusual about Young Master Shelby teaching Tom how to write?
8. What is the author's intent by contrasting Mr. Haley's sole interest in thinking of slaves in terms of their physical strength and how he will be able to resell them and Tom's continued pondering on the Bible and a "pitying Jesus?"
9. Why is Uncle Tom's loyalty to his master such a subject of harsh criticism and ridicule?
10. What is the significance of John Von Trompe being described as a former "land-holder and slave owner in the state of Kentucky?"
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)