|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man the reader first meets by name in the tavern where a number of white Kentuckians are drinking and socializing in Chapter 11?
(a) Mr. Haley.
(b) Mr. Von Trompe.
(c) Mr. Wilson.
(d) Mr. Harris.
2. Which character is described as a "mulatto?"
(a) Mr. Shelby's younger son.
3. What does Senator Bird give someone to help support Eliza before he and she parted?
(a) A fifty-dollar bill.
(b) A ten-dollar bill.
(c) A hundred-dollar bill.
(d) A twenty-dollar bill.
4. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
(a) The entrance of Mr. Haley accompanied by Uncle Tom.
(b) The entrance of a man who is said to look like a Spaniard.
(c) The entrance of Mr. Von Trompe.
(d) The entrance of a United States marshal.
5. Why doesn't Eliza see her husband much?
(a) He lives and works on a different plantation.
(b) He travels a lot for his job.
(c) He and Eliza have divorced.
(d) He is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lucy by the end of the Chapter 12?
2. Who is Harry?
3. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
4. Where is the boat bound for that Tom boards with Mr. Haley?
5. What is the first possible solution Mr. Shelby introduces as a possibility for paying Mr. Haley?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how do George and Eliza show their true religious nature?
2. What is unusual about Young Master Shelby teaching Tom how to write?
3. What do you think the author's purpose is in having a man help Eliza escape even though he is a friend of Mr. Shelby's?
4. What is the effect of describing the actual cabin of Uncle Tom as a place where flowers grow and people worship and eat together?
5. Why does the author write that "Sam was in wonderful spirits," when each of his possible sightings of Eliza turn out to not be her?
6. What provides the comic relief in Chapter 6?
7. What are two good reasons that "The Mother's Struggle" is an appropriate title for Chapter 7?
8. What is the author's purpose in having Sam tell the story of Eliza's escape and Mr. Haley's failed attempts to catch her?
9. How might the modern reader interpret Mr. Shelby's plan to be absent from the plantation when Tom is to be taken away?
10. In spite of the differences between Tom and Eva's life situation, what character traits do they have in common?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)