|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
(a) At night.
(b) After lunch.
(c) On Sundays while people are at church.
(d) At dawn.
2. What does Harry do when he first meets Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley?
(a) He sings "America the Beautiful' for them.
(b) He shyly asks for a piece of candy.
(c) He recites a childish poem he has made up.
(d) He sings and dances for them.
3. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
(a) The entrance of a United States marshal.
(b) The entrance of Mr. Von Trompe.
(c) The entrance of a man who is said to look like a Spaniard.
(d) The entrance of Mr. Haley accompanied by Uncle Tom.
4. Who is Andy?
(a) A code name for Harry.
(b) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
(c) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(d) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
5. Where is Mr. Butler headed when the reader meets him in the tavern?
(a) The Haley plantation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the search party actually take orders from?
2. What does George accomplish that shows he has talent?
3. Who is Lucy?
4. When Phineas is in the town where the Hallidays live, what does he hear a conversation about?
5. How could the people who go to search for Eliza and Harry be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do black people in the novel freely use the "n" word?
2. What effect has studying the Christian religion had on Eliza?
3. What do you think the author's purpose is in having a man help Eliza escape even though he is a friend of Mr. Shelby's?
4. What is effect of the description of life at the Hallidays?
5. What provides the comic relief in Chapter 6?
6. What is it that offers Mrs. Shelby a moment of worry, then relief at the beginning of Chapter 6?
7. Compare or contrast Mr. Shelby's and Mr. Haley's opinions on how to treat slaves should be treated.
8. What are two good reasons that "The Mother's Struggle" is an appropriate title for Chapter 7?
9. What is the effect of describing the actual cabin of Uncle Tom as a place where flowers grow and people worship and eat together?
10. What does the reader learn in Chapters 2 and 3 about Eliza's past as a mother?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)