|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(a) Marie St. Clare's.
(c) Miss Ophelia's.
(d) Augustine St. Clare's.
2. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
3. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(c) Her own cabin.
(d) A warm coat.
4. What is it that Topsy does that angers Miss Ophelia?
(a) Has a tantrum and throws things around Miss Ophelia's room.
(b) Tries to play with Eva and Eva's toys.
(c) Cuts up her bonnets and makes doll's jackets from them.
(d) Refuses to eat the food that the other slaves eat.
5. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
(a) A combination of firm and gentle.
(b) Treatment as equals.
(c) Harsh and violent.
6. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
(a) A horrid cook.
(b) A self-taught, kitchen genius.
(c) A better cook than Aunt Chloe.
(d) Good, but not as good as Aunt Chloe.
7. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
(b) A Canadian fur store owner.
(c) Madame de Thoux.
8. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) An axe.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pistol.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 41, who dies on the Shelby plantation?
(a) Aunt Chloe.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Young Master George.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
10. After they get the letter from Tom, what does Aunt Chloe ask Mrs. Shelby to write for her?
(a) Directions to the nearest city.
(b) Directions to New Orleans.
(c) A pass and a recommendation.
(d) A letter to Tom.
11. Who is the "quadroon" that is the subject of chapter 34 entitled "The Quadroon's Story?"
12. Because of Legree's superstitious nature, who is the unlikely person that he fears?
13. In Chapter 45 what other "character" does the reader learn is based upon the same story as old Pru?
(c) Simon Legree.
14. Who is the Quaker woman that George and Eliza are staying with in Chapter 37?
(a) Miss Sandusky.
(b) Miss Smyth.
(c) Aunt Dorcas.
(d) Miss Halliday.
15. While Tom spends time outdoors with Eva, where is it that Eva tells Uncle Tom she will be going to soon?
(b) Lake Pontchartrain.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Eliza travels to Canada, what other member of her party is in disguise?
2. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
3. Once Emmeline is at the Legree plantation, what does Emmeline try to convince another woman to do with her?
4. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
5. When Cassy and Emmeline hatch a plan to escape from the Legree plantation, how do Cassy and Emmeline disguise themselves?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)