|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When George and his family are established in Canada, what is it that George specifically says he wants more than anything?
(a) A home near the ocean.
(b) A home in the mountains.
(c) His own business.
(d) An education.
2. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
(a) On the Red River in Mississippi.
(b) On the Red River in Louisiana.
(c) On the Mississippi River in Louisiana.
(d) On the New Orleans River in Lousiana.
3. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A machinist.
(c) A furrier.
(d) A railroad worker.
4. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
(a) Madame de Thoux.
(d) A Canadian fur store owner.
5. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
(a) They are sold.
(b) They are divided up among other slaves.
(c) They are burned.
(d) They are made fun of.
6. Who on the Shelby plantation offers first to earn extra money in Chapter 21?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Young Master Tom Shelby.
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
7. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
(a) As a nun.
(b) As a man.
(c) As a very large woman.
(d) As a child.
8. Who is the Quaker woman that George and Eliza are staying with in Chapter 37?
(a) Miss Smyth.
(b) Miss Sandusky.
(c) Miss Halliday.
(d) Aunt Dorcas.
9. In what city is the confectioner's shop (bakery that interests the Shelby plantation women)?
(d) Kentucky City.
10. When Aunt Chloe gets a letter from Tom, what issue does it raise in the Shelby household?
(a) Having Tom visit his family on a regular basis.
(b) Buying the New Orleans plantation.
(c) Buying back Tom.
(d) Visiting Tom in New Orleans.
11. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
(a) Augustine St. Clare.
(c) Miss Ophelia.
(d) Marie St. Clare.
12. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
(a) An axe.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A knife.
(d) A shotgun.
13. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
(a) Eliza is her sister and that she is free in Canada.
(b) George is her brother and that he is free in Canada.
(c) George is her son and that he is free in Canada.
(d) Eliza is her daughter and that she is free in Canada.
14. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
(a) Sent her to her cabin without dinner.
(b) Whipped her.
(c) Slapped her face.
(d) Read the Bible to her.
15. To whom does Eva give reading lessons?
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
2. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
3. When Cassy and Emmeline hatch a plan to escape from the Legree plantation, how do Cassy and Emmeline disguise themselves?
4. In Chapter 45, what advice does Stowe give to the white mothers of the North?
5. Why does Topsy come to Eva's room daily?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)