|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Aunt Chloe has saved to proudly show Tom when he returns?
(a) A record of the money she earned.
(b) A Bible Mrs. Shelby gave her.
(c) A quilt she made for him.
(d) Money that was left to her in Mr. Shelby's will.
2. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
(a) They are sold.
(b) They are burned.
(c) They are divided up among other slaves.
(d) They are made fun of.
3. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
(a) Whipped her.
(b) Slapped her face.
(c) Sent her to her cabin without dinner.
(d) Read the Bible to her.
4. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
(b) Mrs. St. Clare's.
(c) Uncle Tom's.
5. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(b) Marie St. Clare's.
(c) Augustine St. Clare's.
(d) Miss Ophelia's.
6. Who was in charge of the new slave in St. Clare household?
(a) Eva St. Clare.
(b) Marie St. Clare.
(c) Augustine St. Clare.
(d) Miss Ophelia.
7. Who is Legree's former mistress?
8. To whom does Eva give reading lessons?
(c) Her mother.
9. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A furrier.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A machinist.
(d) A railroad worker.
10. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Aunt Chloe.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Young Master George.
11. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
(a) William Jennings Bryan.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Horace Mann.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
12. What illness has Tom Lokar been laid up with for three weeks?
(d) Rheumatic Fever.
13. What area of his own house does Legree come to believe is haunted?
(a) Cassy's room.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The garret.
(d) The library.
14. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
(a) She is learning more about the business of the plantation every day.
(b) She is a business genius.
(c) He thinks she should take a business course.
(d) She knows nothing about business.
15. At the end of Chapter 45, who does Stowe say will have "a heavy account to answer?"
(a) The Southern slave owners.
(b) The Northerners who did nothing to fight slavery.
(c) The Christian church.
(d) The President of the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
2. Who is the Quaker woman that George and Eliza are staying with in Chapter 37?
3. On the first night at the Legree plantation, what does Tom dream of when he falls asleep?
4. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
5. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)