|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was in charge of the new slave in St. Clare household?
(a) Marie St. Clare.
(b) Eva St. Clare.
(c) Augustine St. Clare.
(d) Miss Ophelia.
2. As Chapter 29 ends, where is Tom on his way to?
(a) The ferry boat to see Miss Ophelia off.
(b) The Shelby home.
(c) The ferry boat to meet his wife and children.
(d) The slave auction.
3. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
(b) Lucy .
4. At the lake, who is it that finally insists that Eva should see a doctor?
(a) Mr. St. Clare, her father.
(b) Mrs. St. Clare, her mother.
(c) Miss Ophelia.
(d) Uncle Tom.
5. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
(a) She knows nothing about business.
(b) She is learning more about the business of the plantation every day.
(c) He thinks she should take a business course.
(d) She is a business genius.
6. What is the name of the newest child slave at the St. Clare household?
7. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) William Jennings Bryan.
(d) Horace Mann.
8. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
(a) Slapped her face.
(b) Sent her to her cabin without dinner.
(c) Whipped her.
(d) Read the Bible to her.
9. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
10. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
(a) Simon Legree.
11. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(a) Her own cabin.
(b) A warm coat.
12. What state are George and Eliza in when the reader catches up with their story in Chapter 37?
(c) New York.
(d) New Hampshire.
13. What illness has Tom Lokar been laid up with for three weeks?
(d) Rheumatic Fever.
14. Who is Dodo?
(a) A slave that belongs to a visiting child.
(b) A slave whom Eva meets at the lake.
(c) A pet bird.
(d) A pet dog.
15. When Rosa and Ophelia think they see Topsy hiding something she has stolen, what does this item turn out to be?
(a) A doll that Eva gave her.
(b) A pie that Mammy baked for dessert.
(c) A bag of Candy that Ophelia was going to give her later that night.
(d) A book that Eva gave her.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
2. In Chapter 45 what other "character" does the reader learn is based upon the same story as old Pru?
3. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
4. When Eliza travels to Canada, what other member of her party is in disguise?
5. What are Miss Ophelia's plans for Topsy's future?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)