|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How effective of a money manager is Augustine St. Clare?
(a) He is an expert money manager who helps others with their finances.
(b) He is a good manager, but people steal from him because he is so trusting.
(c) He is a fairly good money manager.
(d) He is careless and extravagant with money.
2. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
(a) A combination of firm and gentle.
(c) Treatment as equals.
(d) Harsh and violent.
3. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
(a) A Canadian fur store owner.
(b) Madame de Thoux.
4. Who is the "quadroon" that is the subject of chapter 34 entitled "The Quadroon's Story?"
5. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) William Jennings Bryan.
(c) Horace Mann.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
6. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A machinist.
(b) A railroad worker.
(c) A furrier.
(d) A farmer.
7. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
(a) Read the Bible to her.
(b) Sent her to her cabin without dinner.
(c) Slapped her face.
(d) Whipped her.
8. When Eva talks to Topsy about love, what is the one thing/person that Topsy admits to loving?
(a) Playing with dolls.
(b) Uncle Tom.
9. Who is Dodo?
(a) A pet bird.
(b) A pet dog.
(c) A slave that belongs to a visiting child.
(d) A slave whom Eva meets at the lake.
10. When George and his family are established in Canada, what is it that George specifically says he wants more than anything?
(a) His own business.
(b) A home near the ocean.
(c) An education.
(d) A home in the mountains.
11. When Cassy and Emmeline hatch a plan to escape from the Legree plantation, how do Cassy and Emmeline disguise themselves?
(a) As ghosts.
(b) As French.
(c) As Mexicans.
(d) As Spaniards.
12. What is it that Aunt Chloe has saved to proudly show Tom when he returns?
(a) A quilt she made for him.
(b) A record of the money she earned.
(c) A Bible Mrs. Shelby gave her.
(d) Money that was left to her in Mr. Shelby's will.
13. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
(a) They are sold.
(b) They are divided up among other slaves.
(c) They are burned.
(d) They are made fun of.
14. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
(a) Eliza is her daughter and that she is free in Canada.
(b) George is her brother and that he is free in Canada.
(c) George is her son and that he is free in Canada.
(d) Eliza is her sister and that she is free in Canada.
15. What is it that Topsy does that angers Miss Ophelia?
(a) Has a tantrum and throws things around Miss Ophelia's room.
(b) Tries to play with Eva and Eva's toys.
(c) Cuts up her bonnets and makes doll's jackets from them.
(d) Refuses to eat the food that the other slaves eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newest child slave at the St. Clare household?
2. From whom does the reader learn that a black person's testimony as witness in a trial means nothing?
3. Who is Legree's former mistress?
4. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
5. As Chapter 29 ends, where is Tom on his way to?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)