|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Eliza travels to Canada, what other member of her party is in disguise?
(a) Ms. Smyth.
(b) Aunt Dorcas.
2. When George and his family are established in Canada, what is it that George specifically says he wants more than anything?
(a) A home in the mountains.
(b) An education.
(c) A home near the ocean.
(d) His own business.
3. How effective of a money manager is Augustine St. Clare?
(a) He is an expert money manager who helps others with their finances.
(b) He is a fairly good money manager.
(c) He is careless and extravagant with money.
(d) He is a good manager, but people steal from him because he is so trusting.
4. When the Shelby's get Uncle Tom's letter, what does Mr. Shelby say that Tom should do to get on with his life?
(a) Ask if he can visit the Shelbys.
(b) Work hard and pray for things to work out.
(c) Find another woman to marry.
(d) Ask his new employer to uy Aunt Chloe and their childen.
5. In the author's last chapter in which she discusses the sources for her novel, who does she say told Stowe of the story of "old Pru?"
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her editor.
6. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
(a) Lucy .
7. According to Chapter 45, which characters are drawn from real people aboard the schooner named Pearl?
(a) Eliza and Harry.
(b) Aunt Chloe and Uncle Tom.
(c) Eliza and George.
(d) Emmeline and Cassy.
8. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
(a) As a very large woman.
(b) As a nun.
(c) As a man.
(d) As a child.
9. What was the general opinion of Miss Ophelia in the St. Clare household?
(a) She is very helpful, but doesn't understand how to treat Eva.
(b) She is a wonderful addition.
(c) She is getting to be more and more useful every day.
(d) She is a nuisance.
10. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
(a) On the New Orleans River in Lousiana.
(b) On the Red River in Mississippi.
(c) On the Mississippi River in Louisiana.
(d) On the Red River in Louisiana.
11. What is it that Aunt Chloe has saved to proudly show Tom when he returns?
(a) A record of the money she earned.
(b) A Bible Mrs. Shelby gave her.
(c) A quilt she made for him.
(d) Money that was left to her in Mr. Shelby's will.
12. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
(a) It is where Augustine wants to build a small plantation.
(b) It is where Eva says she wants to visit.
(c) It is where the St Clare family's summer villa is.
(d) It is where Uncle Tom fishes.
13. What are Miss Ophelia's plans for Topsy's future?
(a) To have Topsy move into Eva's old room.
(b) To take her back to Vermont with her.
(c) To teach her to read so that she can teach other slaves.
(d) To ask for Mrs. St. Clare's help in raising Topsy.
14. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
(a) Good, but not as good as Aunt Chloe.
(b) A horrid cook.
(c) A self-taught, kitchen genius.
(d) A better cook than Aunt Chloe.
15. In Chapter 45, what advice does Stowe give to the white mothers of the North?
(a) To examine their conscience and think what it would be like to have a child taken.
(b) To raise money to send blacks back to Africa.
(c) To go to the South and persuade white mothers of the South that slavery is anti-Christian.
(d) To ban together and form a mothers' group against slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the first night at the Legree plantation, what does Tom dream of when he falls asleep?
2. When Aunt Chloe gets a letter from Tom, what issue does it raise in the Shelby household?
3. Who comes to visit the St. Clare family during the summer at Lake Pontchartrain?
4. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
5. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)