|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Madame de Thoux?
(a) Eliza's mother.
(b) Eliza's sister.
(c) George's mother.
(d) George's sister.
2. When the Shelby's get Uncle Tom's letter, what does Mr. Shelby say that Tom should do to get on with his life?
(a) Find another woman to marry.
(b) Ask if he can visit the Shelbys.
(c) Ask his new employer to uy Aunt Chloe and their childen.
(d) Work hard and pray for things to work out.
3. After they get the letter from Tom, what does Aunt Chloe ask Mrs. Shelby to write for her?
(a) A pass and a recommendation.
(b) Directions to New Orleans.
(c) A letter to Tom.
(d) Directions to the nearest city.
4. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
(a) George is her brother and that he is free in Canada.
(b) Eliza is her sister and that she is free in Canada.
(c) George is her son and that he is free in Canada.
(d) Eliza is her daughter and that she is free in Canada.
5. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
(c) Lucy .
6. What state are George and Eliza in when the reader catches up with their story in Chapter 37?
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) New York.
7. On the first night at the Legree plantation, what does Tom dream of when he falls asleep?
(b) Being with his wife and children.
(d) Eva reading to him from the Bible.
8. Why does Topsy come to Eva's room daily?
(a) To play with Eva's toys.
(b) To bring flowers.
(c) To learn more about God.
(d) To learn to read.
9. What is it that Topsy does that angers Miss Ophelia?
(a) Cuts up her bonnets and makes doll's jackets from them.
(b) Has a tantrum and throws things around Miss Ophelia's room.
(c) Tries to play with Eva and Eva's toys.
(d) Refuses to eat the food that the other slaves eat.
10. Once Emmeline is at the Legree plantation, what does Emmeline try to convince another woman to do with her?
(a) Put ground glass in Legree's food.
(b) Poison Legree.
(c) Burn the mansion.
11. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
(a) A knife.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A pistol.
(d) An axe.
12. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
(a) As a child.
(b) As a nun.
(c) As a very large woman.
(d) As a man.
13. How effective of a money manager is Augustine St. Clare?
(a) He is a good manager, but people steal from him because he is so trusting.
(b) He is an expert money manager who helps others with their finances.
(c) He is a fairly good money manager.
(d) He is careless and extravagant with money.
14. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(c) A warm coat.
(d) Her own cabin.
15. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
(a) They are sold.
(b) They are burned.
(c) They are divided up among other slaves.
(d) They are made fun of.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general opinion of Miss Ophelia in the St. Clare household?
2. Because of Legree's superstitious nature, who is the unlikely person that he fears?
3. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
4. According to Chapter 45, which characters are drawn from real people aboard the schooner named Pearl?
5. As Chapter 29 ends, where is Tom on his way to?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)