|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
(a) On the Red River in Louisiana.
(b) On the Mississippi River in Louisiana.
(c) On the Red River in Mississippi.
(d) On the New Orleans River in Lousiana.
2. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
(a) Whipped her.
(b) Sent her to her cabin without dinner.
(c) Read the Bible to her.
(d) Slapped her face.
3. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
(c) Quebec City.
4. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
(a) It is where Augustine wants to build a small plantation.
(b) It is where Uncle Tom fishes.
(c) It is where the St Clare family's summer villa is.
(d) It is where Eva says she wants to visit.
5. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
(a) They are made fun of.
(b) They are burned.
(c) They are divided up among other slaves.
(d) They are sold.
6. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
(a) She knows nothing about business.
(b) He thinks she should take a business course.
(c) She is a business genius.
(d) She is learning more about the business of the plantation every day.
7. According to Chapter 45, which characters are drawn from real people aboard the schooner named Pearl?
(a) Eliza and George.
(b) Aunt Chloe and Uncle Tom.
(c) Eliza and Harry.
(d) Emmeline and Cassy.
8. When Aunt Chloe gets a letter from Tom, what issue does it raise in the Shelby household?
(a) Having Tom visit his family on a regular basis.
(b) Visiting Tom in New Orleans.
(c) Buying back Tom.
(d) Buying the New Orleans plantation.
9. When the Shelby's get Uncle Tom's letter, what does Mr. Shelby say that Tom should do to get on with his life?
(a) Ask his new employer to uy Aunt Chloe and their childen.
(b) Ask if he can visit the Shelbys.
(c) Find another woman to marry.
(d) Work hard and pray for things to work out.
10. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
(a) As a very large woman.
(b) As a child.
(c) As a man.
(d) As a nun.
11. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
(a) William Jennings Bryan.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Robert E. Lee.
(d) Horace Mann.
12. Who is Madame de Thoux?
(a) George's sister.
(b) George's mother.
(c) Eliza's mother.
(d) Eliza's sister.
13. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
14. In the author's last chapter in which she discusses the sources for her novel, who does she say told Stowe of the story of "old Pru?"
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her editor.
(d) Her father.
15. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
(a) A combination of firm and gentle.
(c) Treatment as equals.
(d) Harsh and violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. When George and his family are established in Canada, what is it that George specifically says he wants more than anything?
2. Who is the Quaker woman that George and Eliza are staying with in Chapter 37?
3. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
4. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
5. When Eva is alone in her room, why does Eva cut her hair?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)