|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
(a) It is where Augustine wants to build a small plantation.
(b) It is where Eva says she wants to visit.
(c) It is where the St Clare family's summer villa is.
(d) It is where Uncle Tom fishes.
2. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
(a) They are burned.
(b) They are divided up among other slaves.
(c) They are sold.
(d) They are made fun of.
3. When Eva is alone in her room, why does Eva cut her hair?
(a) To make herself look older.
(b) To make washing her hair less difficult.
(c) To make doll hair for a doll for Topsy.
(d) To give locks of hair to people to remember her by.
4. What happened in the weeks following the death at the St. Clare villa that most influenced Augustine and led to changes he made in the running of his household?
(a) Listening to Miss Ophelia's abolitionist views.
(b) Reading Eva's Bible.
(c) Discussing the Bible with Tom.
(d) Debating his wife about how the treat slaves.
5. When George and his family are established in Canada, what is it that George specifically says he wants more than anything?
(a) A home in the mountains.
(b) His own business.
(c) An education.
(d) A home near the ocean.
6. Because of Legree's superstitious nature, who is the unlikely person that he fears?
7. In what city is the confectioner's shop (bakery that interests the Shelby plantation women)?
(a) Kentucky City.
8. What state are George and Eliza in when the reader catches up with their story in Chapter 37?
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) New York.
9. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
(a) Young Master George.
(b) Aunt Chloe.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
10. What area of his own house does Legree come to believe is haunted?
(a) The garret.
(b) Cassy's room.
(c) The library.
(d) The cellar.
11. How effective of a money manager is Augustine St. Clare?
(a) He is careless and extravagant with money.
(b) He is an expert money manager who helps others with their finances.
(c) He is a good manager, but people steal from him because he is so trusting.
(d) He is a fairly good money manager.
12. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A machinist.
(b) A furrier.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A railroad worker.
13. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
(a) Mrs. St. Clare's.
(d) Uncle Tom's.
14. To whom does Eva give reading lessons?
(c) Her mother.
15. Who is Dodo?
(a) A slave that belongs to a visiting child.
(b) A pet bird.
(c) A slave whom Eva meets at the lake.
(d) A pet dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general opinion of Miss Ophelia in the St. Clare household?
2. Who is the Quaker woman that George and Eliza are staying with in Chapter 37?
3. Who comes to visit the St. Clare family during the summer at Lake Pontchartrain?
4. After they get the letter from Tom, what does Aunt Chloe ask Mrs. Shelby to write for her?
5. In the author's last chapter in which she discusses the sources for her novel, who does she say told Stowe of the story of "old Pru?"
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)