|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city is the confectioner's shop (bakery that interests the Shelby plantation women)?
(b) Kentucky City.
2. When Eliza travels to Canada, what other member of her party is in disguise?
(a) Aunt Dorcas.
(d) Ms. Smyth.
3. How effective of a money manager is Augustine St. Clare?
(a) He is a good manager, but people steal from him because he is so trusting.
(b) He is a fairly good money manager.
(c) He is an expert money manager who helps others with their finances.
(d) He is careless and extravagant with money.
4. In Chapter 45, what advice does Stowe give to the white mothers of the North?
(a) To go to the South and persuade white mothers of the South that slavery is anti-Christian.
(b) To raise money to send blacks back to Africa.
(c) To ban together and form a mothers' group against slavery.
(d) To examine their conscience and think what it would be like to have a child taken.
5. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A machinist.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A railroad worker.
(d) A furrier.
6. On the first night at the Legree plantation, what does Tom dream of when he falls asleep?
(a) Being with his wife and children.
(d) Eva reading to him from the Bible.
7. In Chapter 45 what other "character" does the reader learn is based upon the same story as old Pru?
(d) Simon Legree.
8. Who is Madame de Thoux?
(a) George's mother.
(b) Eliza's sister.
(c) George's sister.
(d) Eliza's mother.
9. At the end of Chapter 45, who does Stowe say will have "a heavy account to answer?"
(a) The Southern slave owners.
(b) The Northerners who did nothing to fight slavery.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) The Christian church.
10. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
(a) On the Red River in Mississippi.
(b) On the Red River in Louisiana.
(c) On the Mississippi River in Louisiana.
(d) On the New Orleans River in Lousiana.
11. Who is the Quaker woman that George and Eliza are staying with in Chapter 37?
(a) Miss Sandusky.
(b) Miss Halliday.
(c) Miss Smyth.
(d) Aunt Dorcas.
12. Who is Legree's former mistress?
13. When George, Eliza and Harry finally reach Canada, what is the name of the Canadian town where the boat they are on docks?
14. From whom does the reader learn that a black person's testimony as witness in a trial means nothing?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Uncle Tom.
(c) Simon Legree.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
15. Who is the "quadroon" that is the subject of chapter 34 entitled "The Quadroon's Story?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened in the weeks following the death at the St. Clare villa that most influenced Augustine and led to changes he made in the running of his household?
2. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
3. What is the name of the newest child slave at the St. Clare household?
4. In the author's last chapter in which she discusses the sources for her novel, who does she say told Stowe of the story of "old Pru?"
5. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)