|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A machinist.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A railroad worker.
(d) A furrier.
2. When George and his family are established in Canada, what is it that George specifically says he wants more than anything?
(a) A home in the mountains.
(b) His own business.
(c) An education.
(d) A home near the ocean.
3. In what city is the confectioner's shop (bakery that interests the Shelby plantation women)?
(b) Kentucky City.
4. Once Emmeline is at the Legree plantation, what does Emmeline try to convince another woman to do with her?
(a) Put ground glass in Legree's food.
(b) Poison Legree.
(c) Burn the mansion.
5. While Tom is a slave on the Legree plantation, who tries to convince Tom to kill Legree?
6. From whom does the reader learn that a black person's testimony as witness in a trial means nothing?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Mrs. Shelby.
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Simon Legree.
7. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
(b) Quebec City.
8. At the lake, who is it that finally insists that Eva should see a doctor?
(a) Mrs. St. Clare, her mother.
(b) Mr. St. Clare, her father.
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Miss Ophelia.
9. Who is Madame de Thoux?
(a) Eliza's sister.
(b) George's mother.
(c) George's sister.
(d) Eliza's mother.
10. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
11. What are Miss Ophelia's plans for Topsy's future?
(a) To have Topsy move into Eva's old room.
(b) To take her back to Vermont with her.
(c) To teach her to read so that she can teach other slaves.
(d) To ask for Mrs. St. Clare's help in raising Topsy.
12. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
(c) Mrs. St. Clare's.
(d) Uncle Tom's.
13. In Chapter 45, what advice does Stowe give to the white mothers of the North?
(a) To examine their conscience and think what it would be like to have a child taken.
(b) To go to the South and persuade white mothers of the South that slavery is anti-Christian.
(c) To raise money to send blacks back to Africa.
(d) To ban together and form a mothers' group against slavery.
14. Because of Legree's superstitious nature, who is the unlikely person that he fears?
15. What is the name of the newest child slave at the St. Clare household?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in charge of the new slave in St. Clare household?
2. Who is Legree's former mistress?
3. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
4. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
5. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)