|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
(a) It is where the St Clare family's summer villa is.
(b) It is where Uncle Tom fishes.
(c) It is where Augustine wants to build a small plantation.
(d) It is where Eva says she wants to visit.
2. While Tom is a slave on the Legree plantation, who tries to convince Tom to kill Legree?
3. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) William Jennings Bryan.
(c) Horace Mann.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
4. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
(a) Mrs. St. Clare's.
(b) Uncle Tom's.
5. After they get the letter from Tom, what does Aunt Chloe ask Mrs. Shelby to write for her?
(a) Directions to the nearest city.
(b) A pass and a recommendation.
(c) A letter to Tom.
(d) Directions to New Orleans.
6. When Cassy and Emmeline hatch a plan to escape from the Legree plantation, how do Cassy and Emmeline disguise themselves?
(a) As French.
(b) As ghosts.
(c) As Mexicans.
(d) As Spaniards.
7. To whom does Eva give reading lessons?
(b) Her mother.
8. Who is Dodo?
(a) A slave whom Eva meets at the lake.
(b) A pet dog.
(c) A slave that belongs to a visiting child.
(d) A pet bird.
9. What happened in the weeks following the death at the St. Clare villa that most influenced Augustine and led to changes he made in the running of his household?
(a) Listening to Miss Ophelia's abolitionist views.
(b) Debating his wife about how the treat slaves.
(c) Discussing the Bible with Tom.
(d) Reading Eva's Bible.
10. What was the general opinion of Miss Ophelia in the St. Clare household?
(a) She is a nuisance.
(b) She is getting to be more and more useful every day.
(c) She is very helpful, but doesn't understand how to treat Eva.
(d) She is a wonderful addition.
11. When the Shelby's get Uncle Tom's letter, what does Mr. Shelby say that Tom should do to get on with his life?
(a) Ask if he can visit the Shelbys.
(b) Ask his new employer to uy Aunt Chloe and their childen.
(c) Find another woman to marry.
(d) Work hard and pray for things to work out.
12. When Tom goes out to work in the fields at Legree's plantation, who does Tom help pick cotton in the fields?
13. At the slave auction, what does Emmeline do when Legree examined her?
(a) Pushes him away.
(b) Asks him not to touch her.
(d) Asks her mother to stop him.
14. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A furrier.
(b) A machinist.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A railroad worker.
15. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
(a) They are well fed and well cleaned.
(b) They are asked to give their last two owners' histories.
(c) They are asked to sit and they are given a number.
(d) They are questioned about their strength and given an endurance test.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
2. When Eva talks to Topsy about love, what is the one thing/person that Topsy admits to loving?
3. In Chapter 45, what advice does Stowe give to the white mothers of the North?
4. While Tom spends time outdoors with Eva, where is it that Eva tells Uncle Tom she will be going to soon?
5. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)