|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
(a) As a very large woman.
(b) As a nun.
(c) As a man.
(d) As a child.
2. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A railroad worker.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A furrier.
(d) A machinist.
3. When Rosa and Ophelia think they see Topsy hiding something she has stolen, what does this item turn out to be?
(a) A doll that Eva gave her.
(b) A bag of Candy that Ophelia was going to give her later that night.
(c) A book that Eva gave her.
(d) A pie that Mammy baked for dessert.
4. When George, Eliza and Harry finally reach Canada, what is the name of the Canadian town where the boat they are on docks?
5. Who was in charge of the new slave in St. Clare household?
(a) Marie St. Clare.
(b) Augustine St. Clare.
(c) Miss Ophelia.
(d) Eva St. Clare.
6. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
(a) They are asked to give their last two owners' histories.
(b) They are questioned about their strength and given an endurance test.
(c) They are well fed and well cleaned.
(d) They are asked to sit and they are given a number.
7. Who is Dodo?
(a) A pet dog.
(b) A slave that belongs to a visiting child.
(c) A slave whom Eva meets at the lake.
(d) A pet bird.
8. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
(a) George is her brother and that he is free in Canada.
(b) Eliza is her daughter and that she is free in Canada.
(c) Eliza is her sister and that she is free in Canada.
(d) George is her son and that he is free in Canada.
9. What are Miss Ophelia's plans for Topsy's future?
(a) To have Topsy move into Eva's old room.
(b) To teach her to read so that she can teach other slaves.
(c) To ask for Mrs. St. Clare's help in raising Topsy.
(d) To take her back to Vermont with her.
10. Why does Topsy come to Eva's room daily?
(a) To learn more about God.
(b) To learn to read.
(c) To bring flowers.
(d) To play with Eva's toys.
11. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
(a) A self-taught, kitchen genius.
(b) A better cook than Aunt Chloe.
(c) Good, but not as good as Aunt Chloe.
(d) A horrid cook.
12. When Eva is alone in her room, why does Eva cut her hair?
(a) To make washing her hair less difficult.
(b) To make herself look older.
(c) To make doll hair for a doll for Topsy.
(d) To give locks of hair to people to remember her by.
13. After young George Shelby returns from the Legree plantation, what option does George Shelby offer his former slaves as he frees them?
(a) To arrange for their transportation to Canada.
(b) To arrange for their transportation to Africa to become missionaries.
(c) To write each of them letters of recommendation for employment.
(d) To keep them on as paid employees.
14. When Aunt Chloe gets a letter from Tom, what issue does it raise in the Shelby household?
(a) Having Tom visit his family on a regular basis.
(b) Visiting Tom in New Orleans.
(c) Buying the New Orleans plantation.
(d) Buying back Tom.
15. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
(a) It is where Uncle Tom fishes.
(b) It is where the St Clare family's summer villa is.
(c) It is where Eva says she wants to visit.
(d) It is where Augustine wants to build a small plantation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
2. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
3. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
4. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
5. Who is the Quaker woman that George and Eliza are staying with in Chapter 37?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)