|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 41, who dies on the Shelby plantation?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Young Master George.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Aunt Chloe.
2. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
(c) Madame de Thoux.
(d) A Canadian fur store owner.
3. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(a) Augustine St. Clare's.
(c) Miss Ophelia's.
(d) Marie St. Clare's.
4. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
(a) A better cook than Aunt Chloe.
(b) Good, but not as good as Aunt Chloe.
(c) A self-taught, kitchen genius.
(d) A horrid cook.
5. At the lake, who is it that finally insists that Eva should see a doctor?
(a) Mrs. St. Clare, her mother.
(b) Miss Ophelia.
(c) Mr. St. Clare, her father.
(d) Uncle Tom.
6. In Chapter 45, what advice does Stowe give to the white mothers of the North?
(a) To ban together and form a mothers' group against slavery.
(b) To raise money to send blacks back to Africa.
(c) To go to the South and persuade white mothers of the South that slavery is anti-Christian.
(d) To examine their conscience and think what it would be like to have a child taken.
7. At the conclusion of Chapter 41, whose suffering from being beaten does Quimbo and Sambo witness?
(c) Cassy's and Emmeline's.
8. After they get the letter from Tom, what does Aunt Chloe ask Mrs. Shelby to write for her?
(a) A pass and a recommendation.
(b) Directions to the nearest city.
(c) Directions to New Orleans.
(d) A letter to Tom.
9. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
(a) George is her brother and that he is free in Canada.
(b) Eliza is her sister and that she is free in Canada.
(c) Eliza is her daughter and that she is free in Canada.
(d) George is her son and that he is free in Canada.
10. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
(a) Young Master George.
(b) Aunt Chloe.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
11. Who is Madame de Thoux?
(a) Eliza's mother.
(b) George's mother.
(c) Eliza's sister.
(d) George's sister.
12. What area of his own house does Legree come to believe is haunted?
(a) Cassy's room.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The library.
(d) The garret.
13. Who comes to visit the St. Clare family during the summer at Lake Pontchartrain?
(a) Alfred and Henrique.
(b) Henrique and Henriquetta.
(c) Alfred and Alfreda.
(d) Alfreda and Henriquetta.
14. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
(a) It is where Augustine wants to build a small plantation.
(b) It is where Eva says she wants to visit.
(c) It is where the St Clare family's summer villa is.
(d) It is where Uncle Tom fishes.
15. What was the general opinion of Miss Ophelia in the St. Clare household?
(a) She is a wonderful addition.
(b) She is getting to be more and more useful every day.
(c) She is a nuisance.
(d) She is very helpful, but doesn't understand how to treat Eva.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of Legree's superstitious nature, who is the unlikely person that he fears?
2. In Chapter 45 what other "character" does the reader learn is based upon the same story as old Pru?
3. While Tom is a slave on the Legree plantation, who tries to convince Tom to kill Legree?
4. When Eva is alone in her room, why does Eva cut her hair?
5. When Rosa and Ophelia think they see Topsy hiding something she has stolen, what does this item turn out to be?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)