|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A railroad worker.
(c) A furrier.
(d) A machinist.
2. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
(a) On the New Orleans River in Lousiana.
(b) On the Red River in Louisiana.
(c) On the Red River in Mississippi.
(d) On the Mississippi River in Louisiana.
3. When Aunt Chloe gets a letter from Tom, what issue does it raise in the Shelby household?
(a) Buying the New Orleans plantation.
(b) Buying back Tom.
(c) Having Tom visit his family on a regular basis.
(d) Visiting Tom in New Orleans.
4. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
(a) Eliza is her sister and that she is free in Canada.
(b) George is her son and that he is free in Canada.
(c) George is her brother and that he is free in Canada.
(d) Eliza is her daughter and that she is free in Canada.
5. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
(a) A better cook than Aunt Chloe.
(b) A self-taught, kitchen genius.
(c) Good, but not as good as Aunt Chloe.
(d) A horrid cook.
6. In Chapter 45, what advice does Stowe give to the white mothers of the North?
(a) To raise money to send blacks back to Africa.
(b) To examine their conscience and think what it would be like to have a child taken.
(c) To go to the South and persuade white mothers of the South that slavery is anti-Christian.
(d) To ban together and form a mothers' group against slavery.
7. What illness has Tom Lokar been laid up with for three weeks?
(c) Rheumatic Fever.
8. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
(a) Treatment as equals.
(b) A combination of firm and gentle.
(c) Harsh and violent.
9. Who on the Shelby plantation offers first to earn extra money in Chapter 21?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Young Master Tom Shelby.
(d) Uncle Tom.
10. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
(d) Simon Legree.
11. When George, Eliza and Harry finally reach Canada, what is the name of the Canadian town where the boat they are on docks?
12. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(a) A warm coat.
(b) Her own cabin.
13. Who was in charge of the new slave in St. Clare household?
(a) Miss Ophelia.
(b) Eva St. Clare.
(c) Augustine St. Clare.
(d) Marie St. Clare.
14. Who is Legree's former mistress?
15. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) William Jennings Bryan.
(c) Horace Mann.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 45, who does Stowe say will have "a heavy account to answer?"
2. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
3. According to Chapter 45, which characters are drawn from real people aboard the schooner named Pearl?
4. What are Miss Ophelia's plans for Topsy's future?
5. Why does Topsy come to Eva's room daily?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)