|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the conclusion of Chapter 41, whose suffering from being beaten does Quimbo and Sambo witness?
(b) Cassy's and Emmeline's.
2. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
(a) Simon Legree.
3. Who is the "quadroon" that is the subject of chapter 34 entitled "The Quadroon's Story?"
4. Who was in charge of the new slave in St. Clare household?
(a) Eva St. Clare.
(b) Marie St. Clare.
(c) Miss Ophelia.
(d) Augustine St. Clare.
5. When Rosa and Ophelia think they see Topsy hiding something she has stolen, what does this item turn out to be?
(a) A doll that Eva gave her.
(b) A bag of Candy that Ophelia was going to give her later that night.
(c) A pie that Mammy baked for dessert.
(d) A book that Eva gave her.
6. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(a) A warm coat.
(c) Her own cabin.
7. After they get the letter from Tom, what does Aunt Chloe ask Mrs. Shelby to write for her?
(a) Directions to New Orleans.
(b) A pass and a recommendation.
(c) A letter to Tom.
(d) Directions to the nearest city.
8. Who is Madame de Thoux?
(a) George's sister.
(b) Eliza's sister.
(c) Eliza's mother.
(d) George's mother.
9. What illness has Tom Lokar been laid up with for three weeks?
(c) Rheumatic Fever.
10. After young George Shelby returns from the Legree plantation, what option does George Shelby offer his former slaves as he frees them?
(a) To keep them on as paid employees.
(b) To arrange for their transportation to Canada.
(c) To arrange for their transportation to Africa to become missionaries.
(d) To write each of them letters of recommendation for employment.
11. Who greets Eliza with the words, "darling, I'm your mother!"
(b) Madame de Thoux.
(c) A Canadian fur store owner.
12. From whom does the reader learn that a black person's testimony as witness in a trial means nothing?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Simon Legree.
(d) Uncle Tom.
13. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
(a) A horrid cook.
(b) Good, but not as good as Aunt Chloe.
(c) A better cook than Aunt Chloe.
(d) A self-taught, kitchen genius.
14. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
(a) An axe.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A knife.
15. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
(a) She knows nothing about business.
(b) She is a business genius.
(c) He thinks she should take a business course.
(d) She is learning more about the business of the plantation every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
2. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
3. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
4. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 41, who dies on the Shelby plantation?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)