|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
(a) A knife.
(b) A pistol.
(c) An axe.
(d) A shotgun.
2. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
(a) They are asked to sit and they are given a number.
(b) They are asked to give their last two owners' histories.
(c) They are well fed and well cleaned.
(d) They are questioned about their strength and given an endurance test.
3. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
(a) Good, but not as good as Aunt Chloe.
(b) A better cook than Aunt Chloe.
(c) A horrid cook.
(d) A self-taught, kitchen genius.
4. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
(b) Treatment as equals.
(c) Harsh and violent.
(d) A combination of firm and gentle.
5. What was the general opinion of Miss Ophelia in the St. Clare household?
(a) She is a wonderful addition.
(b) She is getting to be more and more useful every day.
(c) She is very helpful, but doesn't understand how to treat Eva.
(d) She is a nuisance.
6. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
(d) Quebec City.
7. What is it that Aunt Chloe has saved to proudly show Tom when he returns?
(a) A Bible Mrs. Shelby gave her.
(b) A quilt she made for him.
(c) Money that was left to her in Mr. Shelby's will.
(d) A record of the money she earned.
8. Because of Legree's superstitious nature, who is the unlikely person that he fears?
9. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
(a) It is where Augustine wants to build a small plantation.
(b) It is where Eva says she wants to visit.
(c) It is where the St Clare family's summer villa is.
(d) It is where Uncle Tom fishes.
10. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A machinist.
(b) A railroad worker.
(c) A furrier.
(d) A farmer.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 41, who dies on the Shelby plantation?
(a) Young Master George.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Aunt Chloe.
12. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
(a) Augustine St. Clare.
(b) Miss Ophelia.
(d) Marie St. Clare.
13. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
(a) She is a business genius.
(b) He thinks she should take a business course.
(c) She is learning more about the business of the plantation every day.
(d) She knows nothing about business.
14. What happened in the weeks following the death at the St. Clare villa that most influenced Augustine and led to changes he made in the running of his household?
(a) Discussing the Bible with Tom.
(b) Listening to Miss Ophelia's abolitionist views.
(c) Reading Eva's Bible.
(d) Debating his wife about how the treat slaves.
15. What area of his own house does Legree come to believe is haunted?
(a) Cassy's room.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The library.
(d) The garret.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
2. When Eva talks to Topsy about love, what is the one thing/person that Topsy admits to loving?
3. When Tom goes out to work in the fields at Legree's plantation, who does Tom help pick cotton in the fields?
4. At the slave auction, what does Emmeline do when Legree examined her?
5. In the author's last chapter in which she discusses the sources for her novel, who does she say told Stowe of the story of "old Pru?"
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)