|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Topsy come to Eva's room daily?
(a) To bring flowers.
(b) To play with Eva's toys.
(c) To learn more about God.
(d) To learn to read.
2. After young George Shelby returns from the Legree plantation, what option does George Shelby offer his former slaves as he frees them?
(a) To arrange for their transportation to Canada.
(b) To keep them on as paid employees.
(c) To write each of them letters of recommendation for employment.
(d) To arrange for their transportation to Africa to become missionaries.
3. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(a) A warm coat.
(b) Her own cabin.
4. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(b) Marie St. Clare's.
(c) Miss Ophelia's.
(d) Augustine St. Clare's.
5. When Eva is alone in her room, why does Eva cut her hair?
(a) To make washing her hair less difficult.
(b) To make herself look older.
(c) To give locks of hair to people to remember her by.
(d) To make doll hair for a doll for Topsy.
6. As Chapter 29 ends, where is Tom on his way to?
(a) The ferry boat to meet his wife and children.
(b) The Shelby home.
(c) The slave auction.
(d) The ferry boat to see Miss Ophelia off.
7. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
(b) Lucy .
8. Who is the "quadroon" that is the subject of chapter 34 entitled "The Quadroon's Story?"
9. When Rosa and Ophelia think they see Topsy hiding something she has stolen, what does this item turn out to be?
(a) A doll that Eva gave her.
(b) A pie that Mammy baked for dessert.
(c) A bag of Candy that Ophelia was going to give her later that night.
(d) A book that Eva gave her.
10. Who is the Quaker woman that George and Eliza are staying with in Chapter 37?
(a) Miss Halliday.
(b) Miss Smyth.
(c) Aunt Dorcas.
(d) Miss Sandusky.
11. What is the name of the newest child slave at the St. Clare household?
12. While Tom is a slave on the Legree plantation, who tries to convince Tom to kill Legree?
13. According to Chapter 45, which characters are drawn from real people aboard the schooner named Pearl?
(a) Eliza and Harry.
(b) Eliza and George.
(c) Emmeline and Cassy.
(d) Aunt Chloe and Uncle Tom.
14. What area of his own house does Legree come to believe is haunted?
(a) Cassy's room.
(b) The library.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The garret.
15. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
(a) Simon Legree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness has Tom Lokar been laid up with for three weeks?
2. What is it that Topsy does that angers Miss Ophelia?
3. Who is Dodo?
4. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
5. When Eliza travels to Canada, what other member of her party is in disguise?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)