|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When George, Eliza and Harry finally reach Canada, what is the name of the Canadian town where the boat they are on docks?
2. When Rosa and Ophelia think they see Topsy hiding something she has stolen, what does this item turn out to be?
(a) A bag of Candy that Ophelia was going to give her later that night.
(b) A book that Eva gave her.
(c) A doll that Eva gave her.
(d) A pie that Mammy baked for dessert.
3. Once Emmeline is at the Legree plantation, what does Emmeline try to convince another woman to do with her?
(a) Poison Legree.
(c) Burn the mansion.
(d) Put ground glass in Legree's food.
4. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(a) Marie St. Clare's.
(b) Augustine St. Clare's.
(c) Miss Ophelia's.
5. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(a) Her own cabin.
(c) A warm coat.
6. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
(b) Quebec City.
7. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
(a) Uncle Tom's.
(d) Mrs. St. Clare's.
8. Who is Dodo?
(a) A pet dog.
(b) A slave whom Eva meets at the lake.
(c) A slave that belongs to a visiting child.
(d) A pet bird.
9. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
(a) Young Master George.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Aunt Chloe.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
10. Because of Legree's superstitious nature, who is the unlikely person that he fears?
11. In Chapter 45 what other "character" does the reader learn is based upon the same story as old Pru?
(b) Simon Legree.
12. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
(a) Marie St. Clare.
(b) Miss Ophelia.
(c) Augustine St. Clare.
13. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
(b) Treatment as equals.
(c) Harsh and violent.
(d) A combination of firm and gentle.
14. In Canada, what is George's occupation?
(a) A furrier.
(b) A machinist.
(c) A railroad worker.
(d) A farmer.
15. When Eva talks to Topsy about love, what is the one thing/person that Topsy admits to loving?
(a) Playing with dolls.
(d) Uncle Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 30 begins, what is the treatment of slaves at a slave warehouse?
2. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
3. In Chapter 45, what advice does Stowe give to the white mothers of the North?
4. After they get the letter from Tom, what does Aunt Chloe ask Mrs. Shelby to write for her?
5. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)