|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened in the weeks following the death at the St. Clare villa that most influenced Augustine and led to changes he made in the running of his household?
(a) Reading Eva's Bible.
(b) Discussing the Bible with Tom.
(c) Debating his wife about how the treat slaves.
(d) Listening to Miss Ophelia's abolitionist views.
2. In Chapter 45, what advice does Stowe give to the white mothers of the North?
(a) To examine their conscience and think what it would be like to have a child taken.
(b) To go to the South and persuade white mothers of the South that slavery is anti-Christian.
(c) To raise money to send blacks back to Africa.
(d) To ban together and form a mothers' group against slavery.
3. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
(a) Simon Legree.
4. When the Shelby's get Uncle Tom's letter, what does Mr. Shelby say that Tom should do to get on with his life?
(a) Find another woman to marry.
(b) Ask his new employer to uy Aunt Chloe and their childen.
(c) Work hard and pray for things to work out.
(d) Ask if he can visit the Shelbys.
5. When the reader is returned to the story line of George and his family in Chapter 43, where in Canada are they living?
(b) Quebec City.
6. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(a) A warm coat.
(d) Her own cabin.
7. Who on the Shelby plantation offers first to earn extra money in Chapter 21?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Young Master Tom Shelby.
(d) Uncle Tom.
8. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(a) Augustine St. Clare's.
(c) Miss Ophelia's.
(d) Marie St. Clare's.
9. In the author's last chapter in which she discusses the sources for her novel, who does she say told Stowe of the story of "old Pru?"
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her editor.
(d) Her sister.
10. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
11. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Aunt Chloe.
(c) Young Master George.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
12. When a character tries to convince Tom that he should kill Legree, what is the weapon that the person recommends?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A knife.
(c) An axe.
(d) A pistol.
13. Who is Madame de Thoux?
(a) George's sister.
(b) Eliza's mother.
(c) George's mother.
(d) Eliza's sister.
14. According to Chapter 45, what famous lawyer defended 76 slaves who attempted escape on a schooner named Pearl?
(a) Horace Mann.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) William Jennings Bryan.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
15. To whom does Eva give reading lessons?
(a) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in charge of the new slave in St. Clare household?
2. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
3. At the end of Chapter 45, who does Stowe say will have "a heavy account to answer?"
4. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
5. Why is Lake Pontchartrain important to the action of Chapter 22?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)