|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tom goes out to work in the fields at Legree's plantation, who does Tom help pick cotton in the fields?
2. From whom does the reader learn that a black person's testimony as witness in a trial means nothing?
(a) Simon Legree.
(b) Uncle Tom.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
3. As Eliza continues to travel to Canada, how does she disguise herself?
(a) As a child.
(b) As a very large woman.
(c) As a nun.
(d) As a man.
4. Because of Legree's superstitious nature, who is the unlikely person that he fears?
5. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
(a) Uncle Tom's.
(d) Mrs. St. Clare's.
6. After they get the letter from Tom, what does Aunt Chloe ask Mrs. Shelby to write for her?
(a) Directions to New Orleans.
(b) A pass and a recommendation.
(c) Directions to the nearest city.
(d) A letter to Tom.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 41, who dies on the Shelby plantation?
(a) Aunt Chloe.
(b) Young Master George.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
8. Whose funeral takes place in Chapter 29 entitled "The Unprotected?"
(b) Marie St. Clare's.
(c) Miss Ophelia's.
(d) Augustine St. Clare's.
9. At Legree's plantation, who does Simon Legree beat for singing?
10. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
(a) She is learning more about the business of the plantation every day.
(b) She is a business genius.
(c) He thinks she should take a business course.
(d) She knows nothing about business.
11. What state are George and Eliza in when the reader catches up with their story in Chapter 37?
(b) New York.
(c) New Hampshire.
12. What illness has Tom Lokar been laid up with for three weeks?
(c) Rheumatic Fever.
13. At the end of the slave auction, what does Legree promise to give Emmeline if she "is a good girl?"
(c) A warm coat.
(d) Her own cabin.
14. At the lake, who is it that finally insists that Eva should see a doctor?
(a) Mrs. St. Clare, her mother.
(b) Mr. St. Clare, her father.
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Miss Ophelia.
15. Who tries to convince Tom that it would be advantageous to him to burn his Bible?
(d) Simon Legree.
Short Answer Questions
1. After young George Shelby returns from the Legree plantation, what option does George Shelby offer his former slaves as he frees them?
2. What was the general opinion of Miss Ophelia in the St. Clare household?
3. What are Miss Ophelia's plans for Topsy's future?
4. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
5. What happened in the weeks following the death at the St. Clare villa that most influenced Augustine and led to changes he made in the running of his household?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)