|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Tom is a slave on the Legree plantation, who tries to convince Tom to kill Legree?
2. Who on the Shelby plantation offers first to earn extra money in Chapter 21?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Mrs. Shelby.
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Young Master Tom Shelby.
3. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
(a) On the New Orleans River in Lousiana.
(b) On the Red River in Mississippi.
(c) On the Mississippi River in Louisiana.
(d) On the Red River in Louisiana.
4. Once Emmeline is at the Legree plantation, what does Emmeline try to convince another woman to do with her?
(a) Put ground glass in Legree's food.
(b) Poison Legree.
(c) Burn the mansion.
5. What area of his own house does Legree come to believe is haunted?
(a) The library.
(b) The garret.
(c) Cassy's room.
(d) The cellar.
6. When Tom goes out to work in the fields at Legree's plantation, who does Tom help pick cotton in the fields?
7. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
(a) Miss Ophelia.
(b) Marie St. Clare.
(d) Augustine St. Clare.
8. When the Shelby's get Uncle Tom's letter, what does Mr. Shelby say that Tom should do to get on with his life?
(a) Find another woman to marry.
(b) Ask his new employer to uy Aunt Chloe and their childen.
(c) Ask if he can visit the Shelbys.
(d) Work hard and pray for things to work out.
9. What is Mr. Shelby's opinion of Mrs. Shelby's knowledge of business?
(a) She is learning more about the business of the plantation every day.
(b) He thinks she should take a business course.
(c) She knows nothing about business.
(d) She is a business genius.
10. Who is Legree's former mistress?
11. At the slave auction, what does Emmeline do when Legree examined her?
(a) Pushes him away.
(b) Asks her mother to stop him.
(c) Asks him not to touch her.
12. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
(a) Sent her to her cabin without dinner.
(b) Whipped her.
(c) Slapped her face.
(d) Read the Bible to her.
13. Whose funeral takes place at the villa on the lake at the end of Chapter 27?
(b) Uncle Tom's.
(d) Mrs. St. Clare's.
14. From whom does the reader learn that a black person's testimony as witness in a trial means nothing?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Simon Legree.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
15. When Augustine lectures Miss Ophelia on how to properly treat a slave, what kind of treatment does he say is most effective?
(a) A combination of firm and gentle.
(c) Harsh and violent.
(d) Treatment as equals.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 29 ends, where is Tom on his way to?
2. What is done with Tom's clothes at the slave auction?
3. According to Chapter 45, which characters are drawn from real people aboard the schooner named Pearl?
4. After young George Shelby returns from the Legree plantation, what option does George Shelby offer his former slaves as he frees them?
5. After the death on the Shelby plantation, who travels from the Shelby plantation to the Legree plantation?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)