|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Simon Legree's plantation?
(a) On the Red River in Mississippi.
(b) On the Mississippi River in Louisiana.
(c) On the New Orleans River in Lousiana.
(d) On the Red River in Louisiana.
2. What are Miss Ophelia's plans for Topsy's future?
(a) To have Topsy move into Eva's old room.
(b) To teach her to read so that she can teach other slaves.
(c) To ask for Mrs. St. Clare's help in raising Topsy.
(d) To take her back to Vermont with her.
3. What area of his own house does Legree come to believe is haunted?
(a) The garret.
(b) Cassy's room.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The library.
4. In a philosophical and religious discussion with Legree, who is it that explains that what he looks forward to is "eternity?"
(a) Lucy .
5. In a heated discussion with Miss Ophelia, what does Mrs. St. Clare say she would have done to Topsy?
(a) Slapped her face.
(b) Read the Bible to her.
(c) Sent her to her cabin without dinner.
(d) Whipped her.
6. What kind of cook is Old Dinah described as?
(a) Good, but not as good as Aunt Chloe.
(b) A self-taught, kitchen genius.
(c) A better cook than Aunt Chloe.
(d) A horrid cook.
7. Who is the "quadroon" that is the subject of chapter 34 entitled "The Quadroon's Story?"
8. When Eva talks to Topsy about love, what is the one thing/person that Topsy admits to loving?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(d) Playing with dolls.
9. When George and his family are established in Canada, what is it that George specifically says he wants more than anything?
(a) A home in the mountains.
(b) His own business.
(c) A home near the ocean.
(d) An education.
10. To whom does Eva give reading lessons?
(b) Her mother.
11. What is the name of the newest child slave at the St. Clare household?
12. As Cassy, escapes aboard a boat, she listens to a conversation among several slaves that she doesn't know, what piece of information does she find out that is personally meaningful to her?
(a) Eliza is her daughter and that she is free in Canada.
(b) George is her son and that he is free in Canada.
(c) George is her brother and that he is free in Canada.
(d) Eliza is her sister and that she is free in Canada.
13. Why does Topsy come to Eva's room daily?
(a) To learn to read.
(b) To bring flowers.
(c) To learn more about God.
(d) To play with Eva's toys.
14. What is it that Aunt Chloe has saved to proudly show Tom when he returns?
(a) A record of the money she earned.
(b) A quilt she made for him.
(c) Money that was left to her in Mr. Shelby's will.
(d) A Bible Mrs. Shelby gave her.
15. After young George Shelby returns from the Legree plantation, what option does George Shelby offer his former slaves as he frees them?
(a) To write each of them letters of recommendation for employment.
(b) To keep them on as paid employees.
(c) To arrange for their transportation to Africa to become missionaries.
(d) To arrange for their transportation to Canada.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Aunt Chloe gets a letter from Tom, what issue does it raise in the Shelby household?
2. Who comes to visit the St. Clare family during the summer at Lake Pontchartrain?
3. At the end of Chapter 45, who does Stowe say will have "a heavy account to answer?"
4. Who is Dodo?
5. Weeks after Eva's funeral, who gets comfort from singing from an old hymn book found in a drawer?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)