|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Harry?
(a) A child slave on the Harris plantation.
(b) A child slave who has run away in search of freedom.
(c) A child slave on the Shelby plantation.
(d) A child slave on the Haley plantation.
2. Why doesn't Eliza see her husband much?
(a) He lives and works on a different plantation.
(b) He and Eliza have divorced.
(c) He travels a lot for his job.
(d) He is ill.
3. What has Haley done to Tom that reveals that even Haley recognizes Tom's gentleness and loyalty to his master?
(a) He tells Tom that he appreciates Tom's religious beliefs.
(b) He eats meals with Tom.
(c) He takes the chains off his ankles.
(d) He tells him that he will call off the search for Eliza and Harry.
4. The title of this Chapter 6 is "Discovery." Why is this an appropriate chapter title?
(a) The Shelbys discover that Eliza and Harry have run away.
(b) The Shelbys discover that they cannot live with the idea of selling their slaves and take back the offer.
(c) Uncle Tom discovers that he does have the courage to run away.
(d) Eliza discovers a spare horse and she and Harry take off on horseback.
5. What does George accomplish that shows he has talent?
(a) George invented a hemp-cleaning machine.
(b) George invented a way to measure the efficiency of plantation labor.
(c) George taught Harry classical music.
(d) George invented an earlier model of the cotton gin.
6. Who is George?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Uncle Tom's son.
(c) Mr. Shelby's son and heir to the plantation.
(d) Eliza's husband and Harry's father.
7. Who are the two characters introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Haley.
(c) Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley.
(d) Uncle Tom and Harry.
8. Who apparently knows nothing of Mr. Shelby's debt?
(a) Mr. Haley.
(b) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby, himself.
9. Who raised Eliza?
(a) Eliza's natural mother.
(b) Uncle Tom.
(c) Uncle Tom and his wife.
(d) Mrs. Shelby
10. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
(a) Mr. Haley will reveal that he saw Eliza eavesdropping.
(b) Mrs Shelby will be angry with her for not minding her own business.
(c) Mr. Shelby will be angry for her with playing with Harry and neglecting her work.
(d) She and Harry will be sold.
11. What river are Eliza and Harry headed towards as they begin this journey?
(a) The Kentucky River.
(b) The Ohio River.
(c) The Mississippi River.
(d) The Missouri River.
12. Who is Cudjoe?
(a) The Birds' dog.
(b) The Birds' cat.
(c) A servant of the Birds'.
(d) The Birds' parakeet.
13. Who are Bill and Jerry?
(a) Lead deputies.
(c) Haley's sons.
(d) Shelby's grandsons.
14. What does Eliza bring along for her and Harry to eat as they travel?
(a) Sandwiches and apples.
(b) Oranges and apples.
(c) Sandwhiches and oranges.
(d) Cakes and apples.
15. Who is John Von Trompe?
(a) A person who works as part of the Underground Railroad.
(b) A lawyer who worked with all slave traders in the North.
(c) A lawyer whom Haley hired to retrieve Eliza and Harry.
(d) A lawyer who worked against all slave traders who came North.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the man who helps Eliza when she reaches the other side of the river so willing to help her?
2. By the end of the action of the Chapter 17, what happens to Tom Lokar?
3. What does Eliza tell the Birds when she appears at their house?
4. When does the reader see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity in Chapter 4?
5. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)