|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
(a) Mr. Shelby will be angry for her with playing with Harry and neglecting her work.
(b) Mr. Haley will reveal that he saw Eliza eavesdropping.
(c) Mrs Shelby will be angry with her for not minding her own business.
(d) She and Harry will be sold.
2. When George meets with Eliza, why does he tell her that he travels so far from the plantation on which he works?
(a) He will travel to a place where he will have more freedom than he has now.
(b) He has another wife and child to visit.
(c) He has an ill mother who has no one to care for her.
(d) He knows he can sell his invention in another city.
3. When Phineas is in the town where the Hallidays live, what does he hear a conversation about?
(a) A reward for catching the runaway slaves.
(b) Slave catchers looking for Eliza and her family.
(c) A warrant issued for the Quakers who are hiding slaves.
(d) A slave named Tom is looking for Eliza to come to a plantation in New Orleans.
4. Who is Andy?
(a) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(b) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(c) A code name for Harry.
(d) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
5. Which includes most of the descriptive details of Eliza at the doorstep of the Bird's house?
(a) Torn, frozen clothes, one shoe missing, bleeding.
(b) Torn, frozen clothes, and bandaged head.
(c) Torn, frozen clothes, bleeding, arm broken and in a sling.
(d) Torn, frozen clothes.
6. Why are the ferry boats not running when Eliza is out crossing the river?
(a) Canoe travel making travel hazardous for ferries.
(b) It is a holiday.
(c) Lack of fuel.
(d) Chunks of ice in the river.
7. At the end of the Chapter 16, what aspect of work does Tom say he has experience with?
(a) He knows how supervise a house staff.
(b) He knows how to plant crops.
(c) He knows how to cook.
(d) He knows how to take care of horses.
8. Who is Eliza?
(a) A female slave who has run away in search of freedom.
(b) A female slave on the Shelby plantation.
(c) A female slave on the Haley plantation.
(d) A female slave on the Harris plantation.
9. Who gives Uncle Tom a dollar to wear on his neck?
(a) His children.
(b) Young Master George.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
10. Who are the two characters introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Shelby.
(c) Uncle Tom and Harry.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Haley.
11. Who is absent from the plantation when Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's agreement moves into action?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Mose, the child.
(c) Young Master George.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
12. What does Mr. Haley say to Mr. Shelby that is insulting?
(a) Mr. Haley says that Shelby spoiled his slaves and now he will expect Shelby to give him cash.
(b) Haley accuses Shelby of being a poor manager.
(c) Haley accuses Shelby of caring too much about his wife thinks.
(d) Haley accuses Mr. Shelby of not being fair and possibly helping the slaves get away.
13. Where did Eliza get married to her current husband?
(a) On the plantation where she worked previously.
(b) In a church build especially for weddings between slaves.
(c) On the banks of the Mississippi River.
(d) On the Shelby plantation.
14. When George and Eliza are reunited, what is Eliza trying to convince George of?
(a) To become a Christian.
(b) To live with the Hallidays for a while.
(c) To leave for Canada alone and then send for her and Harry.
(d) That it is better for the three of them to travel together.
15. What did Aunt Chloe make for breakfast as "the property" prepares to leave the cabin?
(a) Grits and bacon.
(b) Eggs and bacon and ham and grits.
(c) Chicken and corn cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mr. Butler headed when the reader meets him in the tavern?
2. In which state is Chapter 1 set?
3. Who is Phineas Fletcher?
4. Who is Eva?
5. Who is Albert?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)