|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who raised Eliza?
(a) Uncle Tom and his wife.
(b) Uncle Tom.
(c) Eliza's natural mother.
(d) Mrs. Shelby
2. Who are Lokar and Marks?
(a) Riverboat workers.
(b) Mr. Haley's sons.
(d) Slave traders.
3. Who is Phineas Fletcher?
(a) A slave catcher.
(b) A slave who wants to join Eliza and George on their journey north.
(c) A white man who supervises the slaves on the Halliday plantation.
(d) A friend of the Hallidays and a fellow Quaker.
4. What is it that makes Eliza feel momentarily sad as she runs away?
(a) She says she feels unloyal leaving Mrs. Shelby.
(b) The Shelby home is the only one she has ever known and she is nostalgiac.
(c) She is sad to leave her work since it gave her satisfaction.
(d) She feels sad that Harry is crying that he wants to stay.
5. In the description of George, what is said about his father?
(a) His father is actually Mr. Shelby.
(b) He doesn't know who his father is.
(c) His father is actually Uncle Tom.
(d) His father is actually Mr. Haley.
6. Who is "Black Sam?"
(a) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(b) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
(c) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(d) A code name for Harry.
7. In what state does Senator Bird live?
(c) West Virginia.
8. What river are Eliza and Harry headed towards as they begin this journey?
(a) The Mississippi River.
(b) The Ohio River.
(c) The Missouri River.
(d) The Kentucky River.
9. What family protects Eliza and Harry once they have crossed the river?
(a) The Rachels.
(b) The Hallidays.
(c) The Stedmans.
(d) The Stanwoods.
10. Who is Aunt Chloe?
(a) Mr. Shelby's aunt who lives with them.
(b) Mrs. Shelby's name.
(c) A gardener.
(d) Uncle Tom's wife.
11. What "happy days" does Eliza think of as she leaves the Shelby house?
(a) Days happily working in the kitchen.
(b) Days happily learning to read and write with the young master.
(c) Days with her husband.
(d) Days happily tending Mrs. Shelby.
12. What news is it that Rachel has for Eliza?
(a) Her husband made it to Canada.
(b) Her husband is dead.
(c) Her husband has escaped, but was captured by slave catchers and returned to Kentucky.
(d) Her husband has escaped and will join them tonight.
13. Who is the man the reader first meets by name in the tavern where a number of white Kentuckians are drinking and socializing in Chapter 11?
(a) Mr. Wilson.
(b) Mr. Haley.
(c) Mr. Harris.
(d) Mr. Von Trompe.
14. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
(a) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and young Master George talk.
(b) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and Haley talk.
(c) She hides in the closet to hear Mr. and Mrs. Shelby talk.
(d) She has read the journal on Mr. Shelby's desk when she cleaned.
15. Who is Augustine St. Clare?
(a) The riverboat captain.
(b) Little Eva's father.
(c) A man who talks with Haley on the boat.
(d) Little Eva's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is one place where George works?
2. What is the first possible solution Mr. Shelby introduces as a possibility for paying Mr. Haley?
3. The title of this Chapter 6 is "Discovery." Why is this an appropriate chapter title?
4. How does Eliza react to business transaction she hears Mr. Shelby talk about with Mr. Haley?
5. What does Mr. Shelby offer Haley to content him when their business deal gets delayed?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)