|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the two characters introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Haley.
(b) Uncle Tom and Harry.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley.
2. When the boat Tom is aboard docks, what does Tom do?
(a) He goes to a tavern and waits for Mr. Haley to be done with dinner.
(b) He goes home with Mr. Haley.
(c) He stays on the boat and reads his Bible.
(d) He goes to St. Clare plantation.
3. When does Mrs. Shelby first learn the details about Mr. Haley's visit to the plantation?
(a) She finds out from young Master George that evening.
(b) She finds out from Eliza that evening.
(c) She finds out when she walks in and hears them trying to whisper their plan.
(d) Mrs. Shelby doesn't find out about Mr. Haley and why he visits until she asks her husband about the meeting.
4. Why is the man who helps Eliza when she reaches the other side of the river so willing to help her?
(a) His conscience makes him help her.
(b) He does not realize that she is black.
(c) He recognizes her as an old friend.
(d) He thinks she is pretty.
5. Who assumes the role of a preacher when the slaves practice their religion?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) A visiting preacher who visits all plantations.
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Chloe.
6. At the end of the Chapter 16, what aspect of work does Tom say he has experience with?
(a) He knows how to plant crops.
(b) He knows how to take care of horses.
(c) He knows how to cook.
(d) He knows how supervise a house staff.
7. What words convey the atmosphere described in the homes of the Quakers who the reader meets in Chapter 13?
(a) Sleek and modern.
(b) Cold and empty.
(c) Warm and cozy.
(d) Fancy and luxorious.
8. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
(a) The entrance of Mr. Von Trompe.
(b) The entrance of a man who is said to look like a Spaniard.
(c) The entrance of Mr. Haley accompanied by Uncle Tom.
(d) The entrance of a United States marshal.
9. Who is George?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Eliza's husband and Harry's father.
(c) Mr. Shelby's son and heir to the plantation.
(d) Uncle Tom's son.
10. Who says that he/she "wouldn't give a flip" for politics?
(b) Mrs. Bird.
(c) Mr. Bird.
11. In which state is Chapter 1 set?
(b) West Virginia.
12. Who are Bill and Jerry?
(b) Shelby's grandsons.
(c) Lead deputies.
(d) Haley's sons.
13. When George meets with Eliza, why does he tell her that he travels so far from the plantation on which he works?
(a) He has an ill mother who has no one to care for her.
(b) He has another wife and child to visit.
(c) He knows he can sell his invention in another city.
(d) He will travel to a place where he will have more freedom than he has now.
14. Who is Hagar?
(a) The local tavern owner.
(b) A slave trader on the lookout for Eliza.
(c) Albert's mother.
(d) A friend of Haley's.
15. What is one thing that happens in the Quaker household that is different from any households that the reader has seen in this novel so far?
(a) Whites and blacks eat in the same room, but at separate tables.
(b) Blacks and whites eat meals at the same table.
(c) Whites act as servants to the whites.
(d) Whites and blacks sing spirituals before they dine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Aunt Chloe make for breakfast as "the property" prepares to leave the cabin?
2. What is Aunt Chloe's mood on this morning after Eliza's escape?
3. When Mr. Haley becomes agitated during their discussion of slave treatment, what does Mr. Shelby try to calm him with?
4. Who is John Von Trompe?
5. In the tavern, what is it that one of the Kentuckians brings to the stranger to read?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)