|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing that happens in the Quaker household that is different from any households that the reader has seen in this novel so far?
(a) Whites and blacks sing spirituals before they dine.
(b) Whites act as servants to the whites.
(c) Whites and blacks eat in the same room, but at separate tables.
(d) Blacks and whites eat meals at the same table.
2. Who is Harry?
(a) A child slave who has run away in search of freedom.
(b) A child slave on the Harris plantation.
(c) A child slave on the Shelby plantation.
(d) A child slave on the Haley plantation.
3. What is the first possible solution Mr. Shelby introduces as a possibility for paying Mr. Haley?
(a) Eliza as payment.
(b) Uncle Tom's cabin rent as payment.
(c) Harry as payment.
(d) Uncle Tom as payment.
4. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
(a) She hides in the closet to hear Mr. and Mrs. Shelby talk.
(b) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and young Master George talk.
(c) She has read the journal on Mr. Shelby's desk when she cleaned.
(d) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and Haley talk.
5. In the tavern, what is it that one of the Kentuckians brings to the stranger to read?
(a) A menu offering only Kentucky whisky and Kentucky wine.
(b) A copy of the Fugitive Slave Act.
(c) The daily news paper of this town.
(d) An advertisement offering a reward to find a runaway slave.
6. Who gives Uncle Tom a dollar to wear on his neck?
(a) His children.
(b) Mrs. Shelby.
(c) Young Master George.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
7. What does Mr. Shelby offer Haley to content him when their business deal gets delayed?
(a) A card game.
(b) A chess game.
(c) A game of croquet.
8. What words convey the atmosphere described in the homes of the Quakers who the reader meets in Chapter 13?
(a) Warm and cozy.
(b) Fancy and luxorious.
(c) Sleek and modern.
(d) Cold and empty.
9. Why does Eliza fear for George to travel so far?
(a) She feels that there is no place like home.
(b) She fears that she will have to do George's work in addition to her own.
(c) She fears that he will not make enough money.
(d) She fears she may never see him again.
10. When Mr. Haley becomes agitated during their discussion of slave treatment, what does Mr. Shelby try to calm him with?
(a) Tea and honey.
(b) A hearty breakfast.
(d) Tea and cornbread.
11. Who is Hagar?
(a) Albert's mother.
(b) A slave trader on the lookout for Eliza.
(c) The local tavern owner.
(d) A friend of Haley's.
12. Where did Eliza get married to her current husband?
(a) On the Shelby plantation.
(b) In a church build especially for weddings between slaves.
(c) On the plantation where she worked previously.
(d) On the banks of the Mississippi River.
13. What does Eliza dream of on the first night that she is taken in and sleeping safely at the new family's house?
(a) A man coming across the yard to kidnap her.
(b) A man coming with a notice for her capture--dead or alive.
(c) Happy, carefree days at the Shelbys.
(d) Happy, carefree days to come in Canada.
14. Where is Mr. Butler headed when the reader meets him in the tavern?
(d) The Haley plantation.
15. What is it that makes Eliza feel momentarily sad as she runs away?
(a) She feels sad that Harry is crying that he wants to stay.
(b) She says she feels unloyal leaving Mrs. Shelby.
(c) The Shelby home is the only one she has ever known and she is nostalgiac.
(d) She is sad to leave her work since it gave her satisfaction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is John Von Trompe?
2. What does Harry do when he first meets Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley?
3. What does Mrs. Bird do to let Eliza and Harry rest?
4. Broadly speaking, what are Eliza's religious beliefs?
5. When does Mrs. Shelby first learn the details about Mr. Haley's visit to the plantation?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)