|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Senator Bird react when his wife objects to the passing of the Fugitive Slave Act?
(a) With understanding and patience.
(b) With astonishment.
(c) With pleasure.
(d) With anger.
2. What is one thing that happens in the Quaker household that is different from any households that the reader has seen in this novel so far?
(a) Whites act as servants to the whites.
(b) Whites and blacks eat in the same room, but at separate tables.
(c) Blacks and whites eat meals at the same table.
(d) Whites and blacks sing spirituals before they dine.
3. What does Mr. Haley say to Mr. Shelby that is insulting?
(a) Haley accuses Shelby of being a poor manager.
(b) Haley accuses Mr. Shelby of not being fair and possibly helping the slaves get away.
(c) Haley accuses Shelby of caring too much about his wife thinks.
(d) Mr. Haley says that Shelby spoiled his slaves and now he will expect Shelby to give him cash.
4. Who is Augustine St. Clare?
(a) Little Eva's father.
(b) Little Eva's mother.
(c) The riverboat captain.
(d) A man who talks with Haley on the boat.
5. What is the first possible solution Mr. Shelby introduces as a possibility for paying Mr. Haley?
(a) Harry as payment.
(b) Eliza as payment.
(c) Uncle Tom as payment.
(d) Uncle Tom's cabin rent as payment.
6. How does Mrs. Shelby view the news of "her" slaves being sold?
(a) She is angry and wants to take her favorite slaves and run away.
(b) She feels that it is God's curse on the people involved in slavery.
(c) She feels badly, but accepts the fact that these things happen on plantations.
(d) She feels that she can change her husband's mind.
7. Which includes most of the descriptive details of Eliza at the doorstep of the Bird's house?
(a) Torn, frozen clothes, one shoe missing, bleeding.
(b) Torn, frozen clothes, and bandaged head.
(c) Torn, frozen clothes.
(d) Torn, frozen clothes, bleeding, arm broken and in a sling.
8. Who does Mr. Shelby think that Haley speaks of too casually and disrespectfully?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Mrs. Shelby.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) Eliza and Harry.
9. Who is Eva?
(a) A female slave roughly Tom's age whom he meets on the riverboat.
(b) A little white girl Tom meets on the riverboat.
(c) A little black girl Tom meets on the riverboat.
(d) A slave who belongs to the riverboat captain.
10. What has Haley done to Tom that reveals that even Haley recognizes Tom's gentleness and loyalty to his master?
(a) He tells him that he will call off the search for Eliza and Harry.
(b) He takes the chains off his ankles.
(c) He tells Tom that he appreciates Tom's religious beliefs.
(d) He eats meals with Tom.
11. Why does Eliza fear for George to travel so far?
(a) She fears that he will not make enough money.
(b) She fears she may never see him again.
(c) She feels that there is no place like home.
(d) She fears that she will have to do George's work in addition to her own.
12. Who is "Black Sam?"
(a) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
(b) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(c) A code name for Harry.
(d) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
13. When Phineas expresses understanding about this thing George possesses, how does Mr. Halliday react?
(a) Halliday says he can tell Phineas was not born a Quaker.
(b) Halliday is ashamed of Phineas.
(c) Halliday lets Phineas lecture him.
(d) Halliday is proud of Phineas.
14. Who is "Mr. Butler?"
(a) A U.S. marshal.
(b) Young Master George.
(c) A slave trader.
(d) George Harris
15. Who are Lokar and Marks?
(b) Slave traders.
(c) Mr. Haley's sons.
(d) Riverboat workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
2. How does Uncle Tom receive the news of the slaves on Shelby plantation being sold?
3. What is it that Eliza finds useful while crossing the river?
4. When does the reader see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity in Chapter 4?
5. When Phineas and Mr. Halliday are counseling George, What does George have that they are worried about?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)