|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom do Sam and Andy tell the story of Eliza's escape?
(a) Mr. And Mrs. Shelby.
(b) All the slaves back at the plantation.
(c) Mr. Shelby and Mrs. Haley.
(d) Two slave traders.
2. Who is Aunt Chloe?
(a) Mr. Shelby's aunt who lives with them.
(b) Mrs. Shelby's name.
(c) A gardener.
(d) Uncle Tom's wife.
3. What family protects Eliza and Harry once they have crossed the river?
(a) The Stanwoods.
(b) The Hallidays.
(c) The Rachels.
(d) The Stedmans.
4. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
(a) After lunch.
(b) On Sundays while people are at church.
(c) At night.
(d) At dawn.
5. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
(a) Whether slavery is moral or immoral.
(b) Successful crops on their plantations.
(c) Their marriages.
(d) How Mr. Shelby will pay Mr. Haley the debt he owes.
6. Where is Mr. Butler headed when the reader meets him in the tavern?
(d) The Haley plantation.
7. In the chapter titled "The Property is Carried Off" what is the "property" that is referred to here?
(b) A railroad car.
(d) Uncle Tom.
8. Why is the man who helps Eliza when she reaches the other side of the river so willing to help her?
(a) He does not realize that she is black.
(b) His conscience makes him help her.
(c) He thinks she is pretty.
(d) He recognizes her as an old friend.
9. To what place does George plan to travel?
10. What has Haley done to Tom that reveals that even Haley recognizes Tom's gentleness and loyalty to his master?
(a) He tells him that he will call off the search for Eliza and Harry.
(b) He takes the chains off his ankles.
(c) He tells Tom that he appreciates Tom's religious beliefs.
(d) He eats meals with Tom.
11. Who says, "I'm in the Lord's hands," as the action of Chapter 10 begins?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Chloe
(c) Young Master George
12. What river are Eliza and Harry headed towards as they begin this journey?
(a) The Missouri River.
(b) The Ohio River.
(c) The Mississippi River.
(d) The Kentucky River.
13. Who are Lokar and Marks?
(a) Mr. Haley's sons.
(b) Riverboat workers.
(c) Slave traders.
14. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
(a) To make it legal for slave traders to enter free states.
(b) To make it illegal for slave catchers to enter free states.
(c) To make it legal for people in norther states to aid runaway slaves.
(d) To make it illegal for people in northern states to aid runaway slaves.
15. When Phineas expresses understanding about this thing George possesses, how does Mr. Halliday react?
(a) Halliday is proud of Phineas.
(b) Halliday is ashamed of Phineas.
(c) Halliday lets Phineas lecture him.
(d) Halliday says he can tell Phineas was not born a Quaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Haley say to Mr. Shelby that is insulting?
2. What is Aunt Chloe's mood on this morning after Eliza's escape?
3. The title of this Chapter 6 is "Discovery." Why is this an appropriate chapter title?
4. What does Eliza dream of on the first night that she is taken in and sleeping safely at the new family's house?
5. How does Mrs. Shelby feel about the people who are in charge of the search party?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)