|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry do when he first meets Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley?
(a) He recites a childish poem he has made up.
(b) He shyly asks for a piece of candy.
(c) He sings "America the Beautiful' for them.
(d) He sings and dances for them.
2. In which state is Chapter 1 set?
(a) West Virginia.
3. Who says that he/she "wouldn't give a flip" for politics?
(b) Mr. Bird.
(c) Mrs. Bird.
4. Who raised Eliza?
(a) Eliza's natural mother.
(b) Uncle Tom and his wife.
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Mrs. Shelby
5. When the boat Tom is aboard docks, what does Tom do?
(a) He goes to a tavern and waits for Mr. Haley to be done with dinner.
(b) He goes home with Mr. Haley.
(c) He goes to St. Clare plantation.
(d) He stays on the boat and reads his Bible.
6. Who is absent from the plantation when Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's agreement moves into action?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Young Master George.
(c) Mose, the child.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
7. What is it that Mrs. Bird feels is ignored by the passing of the Fugitive Slave Act?
(c) The Constitution.
8. Which includes most of the descriptive details of Eliza at the doorstep of the Bird's house?
(a) Torn, frozen clothes.
(b) Torn, frozen clothes, and bandaged head.
(c) Torn, frozen clothes, one shoe missing, bleeding.
(d) Torn, frozen clothes, bleeding, arm broken and in a sling.
9. Who is Dinah?
(a) The Birds' niece.
(b) The Birds' dog.
(c) The Birds' daughter.
(d) The Birds' maid.
10. What words convey the atmosphere described in the homes of the Quakers who the reader meets in Chapter 13?
(a) Cold and empty.
(b) Sleek and modern.
(c) Warm and cozy.
(d) Fancy and luxorious.
11. When Phineas and Mr. Halliday are counseling George, What does George have that they are worried about?
(a) A bow and arrow.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pistol.
12. How does Senator Bird react when his wife objects to the passing of the Fugitive Slave Act?
(a) With understanding and patience.
(b) With pleasure.
(c) With anger.
(d) With astonishment.
13. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
(a) Their marriages.
(b) Successful crops on their plantations.
(c) Whether slavery is moral or immoral.
(d) How Mr. Shelby will pay Mr. Haley the debt he owes.
14. When does the reader see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity in Chapter 4?
(a) We see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity when Aunt Chloe gets on her knees and prays.
(b) We see their faith in Christianity when they say the rosary together.
(c) We see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity when they have a prayer meeting in the cabin.
(d) We see evidence when they take turns reading the Bible aloud.
15. Where did Eliza get married to her current husband?
(a) On the Shelby plantation.
(b) On the plantation where she worked previously.
(c) On the banks of the Mississippi River.
(d) In a church build especially for weddings between slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character "Mas'r George" who is teaching Uncle Tom how to write?
2. In the chapter titled "The Property is Carried Off" what is the "property" that is referred to here?
3. What does Mr. Haley say to Mr. Shelby that is insulting?
4. Why does Eliza fear for George to travel so far?
5. Where is one place where George works?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)