|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is described as a "mulatto?"
(d) Mr. Shelby's younger son.
2. Where is one place where George works?
(a) The railroad station.
(b) A factory.
(c) Mr. Shelby's plantation.
(d) Mr. Haley's plantation.
3. How does Mrs. Selby react to the news that Eliza has escaped?
(a) She is secretly delighted.
(b) She faints.
(c) She expected this would happen and gets a new personal slave for herself.
(d) She is furious.
4. When George and Eliza are reunited, what is Eliza trying to convince George of?
(a) That it is better for the three of them to travel together.
(b) To leave for Canada alone and then send for her and Harry.
(c) To become a Christian.
(d) To live with the Hallidays for a while.
5. What news is it that Rachel has for Eliza?
(a) Her husband has escaped, but was captured by slave catchers and returned to Kentucky.
(b) Her husband is dead.
(c) Her husband has escaped and will join them tonight.
(d) Her husband made it to Canada.
6. To what place does George plan to travel?
7. Who is the character "Mas'r George" who is teaching Uncle Tom how to write?
(a) Uncle Tom's eldest son.
(b) Mr. Shelby's son, George.
(c) Eliza's husband.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
8. What does Eliza dream of on the first night that she is taken in and sleeping safely at the new family's house?
(a) A man coming with a notice for her capture--dead or alive.
(b) Happy, carefree days to come in Canada.
(c) Happy, carefree days at the Shelbys.
(d) A man coming across the yard to kidnap her.
9. Broadly speaking, what are Eliza's religious beliefs?
(a) Eliza is a Muslim.
(b) Eliza is an atheist.
(c) Eliza subscribes to an ancient African religion passed on to her by her family.
(d) Eliza is Christian.
10. Who assumes the role of a preacher when the slaves practice their religion?
(a) Aunt Chloe.
(b) A visiting preacher who visits all plantations.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Uncle Tom.
11. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
(a) At dawn.
(b) At night.
(c) After lunch.
(d) On Sundays while people are at church.
12. Who is Harry?
(a) A child slave on the Shelby plantation.
(b) A child slave on the Haley plantation.
(c) A child slave who has run away in search of freedom.
(d) A child slave on the Harris plantation.
13. Who apparently knows nothing of Mr. Shelby's debt?
(a) Mr. Haley.
(b) Mr. Shelby, himself.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
14. Who is George?
(a) Eliza's husband and Harry's father.
(b) Uncle Tom's son.
(c) Mr. Shelby's son and heir to the plantation.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
15. To whom do Sam and Andy tell the story of Eliza's escape?
(a) All the slaves back at the plantation.
(b) Two slave traders.
(c) Mr. And Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby and Mrs. Haley.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of the action of the Chapter 17, what happens to Tom Lokar?
2. How does Eliza react to business transaction she hears Mr. Shelby talk about with Mr. Haley?
3. Who are Bill and Jerry?
4. What does Eliza bring along for her and Harry to eat as they travel?
5. How does Uncle Tom receive the news of the slaves on Shelby plantation being sold?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)