|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Lokar and Marks?
(b) Slave traders.
(c) Mr. Haley's sons.
(d) Riverboat workers.
2. To whom do Sam and Andy tell the story of Eliza's escape?
(a) Two slave traders.
(b) All the slaves back at the plantation.
(c) Mr. Shelby and Mrs. Haley.
(d) Mr. And Mrs. Shelby.
3. Who are Bill and Jerry?
(a) Haley's sons.
(c) Lead deputies.
(d) Shelby's grandsons.
4. In the chapter titled "The Property is Carried Off" what is the "property" that is referred to here?
(b) A railroad car.
(c) Uncle Tom.
5. Who is Lucy?
(a) A child slave Tom meets on the journey.
(b) Mr. Haley's old and favorite slave.
(c) Mrs. Haley.
(d) Another slave Haley buys.
6. Who is "Black Sam?"
(a) A code name for Harry.
(b) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
(c) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(d) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
7. Where is the boat bound for that Tom boards with Mr. Haley?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) Kansas City.
8. What is Aunt Chloe's primary responsibility of the plantation?
(a) She is in charge of all child care.
(b) She is in charge of rotating crops.
(c) She is gardener.
(d) She is the head cook.
9. When George and Eliza are reunited, what is Eliza trying to convince George of?
(a) To become a Christian.
(b) That it is better for the three of them to travel together.
(c) To live with the Hallidays for a while.
(d) To leave for Canada alone and then send for her and Harry.
10. Which character is described as a "mulatto?"
(b) Mr. Shelby's younger son.
11. Broadly speaking, what are Eliza's religious beliefs?
(a) Eliza is Christian.
(b) Eliza is an atheist.
(c) Eliza subscribes to an ancient African religion passed on to her by her family.
(d) Eliza is a Muslim.
12. When Phineas and Mr. Halliday are counseling George, What does George have that they are worried about?
(a) A knife.
(b) A bow and arrow.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A pistol.
13. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
(a) The entrance of Mr. Haley accompanied by Uncle Tom.
(b) The entrance of Mr. Von Trompe.
(c) The entrance of a man who is said to look like a Spaniard.
(d) The entrance of a United States marshal.
14. What does George accomplish that shows he has talent?
(a) George taught Harry classical music.
(b) George invented a hemp-cleaning machine.
(c) George invented a way to measure the efficiency of plantation labor.
(d) George invented an earlier model of the cotton gin.
15. By the end of the action of the Chapter 17, what happens to Tom Lokar?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He has met with Phineas, who gives him misleading information.
(c) He goes to the Halliday home and spies on Eliza and George.
(d) He goes to the Halliday home and served a good meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hagar?
2. What did Aunt Chloe make for breakfast as "the property" prepares to leave the cabin?
3. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
4. Which character is very protective towards Eliza?
5. What is the first possible solution Mr. Shelby introduces as a possibility for paying Mr. Haley?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)