|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "happy days" does Eliza think of as she leaves the Shelby house?
(a) Days happily learning to read and write with the young master.
(b) Days happily working in the kitchen.
(c) Days happily tending Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Days with her husband.
2. Where does Tom stay while Haley goes to the slave auction?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) At a friend of Haley's.
(c) In jail.
(d) In a carriage, watched by a guard.
3. Who does the search party actually take orders from?
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Black Sam.
4. Who is "Black Sam?"
(a) A code name for Harry.
(b) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
(c) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(d) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
5. By what means of transportation does Mr. Haley travel with Tom?
(a) On horseback.
(b) By boat.
(c) By carriage.
(d) By train.
6. In the tavern, what is it that one of the Kentuckians brings to the stranger to read?
(a) The daily news paper of this town.
(b) An advertisement offering a reward to find a runaway slave.
(c) A menu offering only Kentucky whisky and Kentucky wine.
(d) A copy of the Fugitive Slave Act.
7. Who says that he/she "wouldn't give a flip" for politics?
(b) Mrs. Bird.
(c) Mr. Bird.
8. When Phineas expresses understanding about this thing George possesses, how does Mr. Halliday react?
(a) Halliday is ashamed of Phineas.
(b) Halliday says he can tell Phineas was not born a Quaker.
(c) Halliday is proud of Phineas.
(d) Halliday lets Phineas lecture him.
9. What is one thing that happens in the Quaker household that is different from any households that the reader has seen in this novel so far?
(a) Blacks and whites eat meals at the same table.
(b) Whites and blacks eat in the same room, but at separate tables.
(c) Whites act as servants to the whites.
(d) Whites and blacks sing spirituals before they dine.
10. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
(a) Their marriages.
(b) Whether slavery is moral or immoral.
(c) How Mr. Shelby will pay Mr. Haley the debt he owes.
(d) Successful crops on their plantations.
11. Who does Mr. Shelby think that Haley speaks of too casually and disrespectfully?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Eliza and Harry.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
12. Who is Cudjoe?
(a) The Birds' parakeet.
(b) A servant of the Birds'.
(c) The Birds' dog.
(d) The Birds' cat.
13. What does Eliza dream of on the first night that she is taken in and sleeping safely at the new family's house?
(a) A man coming with a notice for her capture--dead or alive.
(b) Happy, carefree days to come in Canada.
(c) Happy, carefree days at the Shelbys.
(d) A man coming across the yard to kidnap her.
14. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
(a) The entrance of Mr. Von Trompe.
(b) The entrance of Mr. Haley accompanied by Uncle Tom.
(c) The entrance of a man who is said to look like a Spaniard.
(d) The entrance of a United States marshal.
15. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
(a) Mr. Haley will reveal that he saw Eliza eavesdropping.
(b) She and Harry will be sold.
(c) Mrs Shelby will be angry with her for not minding her own business.
(d) Mr. Shelby will be angry for her with playing with Harry and neglecting her work.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
2. Who is Dinah?
3. Who gives Uncle Tom a dollar to wear on his neck?
4. What has Haley done to Tom that reveals that even Haley recognizes Tom's gentleness and loyalty to his master?
5. Why are the ferry boats not running when Eliza is out crossing the river?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)