|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Senator Bird give someone to help support Eliza before he and she parted?
(a) A twenty-dollar bill.
(b) A ten-dollar bill.
(c) A hundred-dollar bill.
(d) A fifty-dollar bill.
2. Who are Bill and Jerry?
(a) Haley's sons.
(b) Lead deputies.
(c) Shelby's grandsons.
3. Where is the boat bound for that Tom boards with Mr. Haley?
(b) Kansas City.
(c) New Orleans.
4. When does Mrs. Shelby first learn the details about Mr. Haley's visit to the plantation?
(a) Mrs. Shelby doesn't find out about Mr. Haley and why he visits until she asks her husband about the meeting.
(b) She finds out from young Master George that evening.
(c) She finds out when she walks in and hears them trying to whisper their plan.
(d) She finds out from Eliza that evening.
5. In which state is Chapter 1 set?
(b) West Virginia.
6. To what place does George plan to travel?
7. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
(a) Mrs Shelby will be angry with her for not minding her own business.
(b) She and Harry will be sold.
(c) Mr. Haley will reveal that he saw Eliza eavesdropping.
(d) Mr. Shelby will be angry for her with playing with Harry and neglecting her work.
8. Who is George?
(a) Uncle Tom's son.
(b) Eliza's husband and Harry's father.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby's son and heir to the plantation.
9. Where is one place where George works?
(a) A factory.
(b) The railroad station.
(c) Mr. Shelby's plantation.
(d) Mr. Haley's plantation.
10. Who is "Black Sam?"
(a) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
(b) A code name for Harry.
(c) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(d) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
11. Who assumes the role of a preacher when the slaves practice their religion?
(a) A visiting preacher who visits all plantations.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Aunt Chloe.
(d) Uncle Tom.
12. As Chapter 7 opens, why is Eliza carrying Harry?
(a) Harry is quite sleepy and is not able to walk fast.
(b) She is so fearful that he will be in danger that she goes to extremes to protect him.
(c) Harry has sprained his ankle.
(d) Harry is enchanted with nature in the forest and wants to chase squirrels.
13. When does the reader see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity in Chapter 4?
(a) We see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity when Aunt Chloe gets on her knees and prays.
(b) We see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity when they have a prayer meeting in the cabin.
(c) We see evidence when they take turns reading the Bible aloud.
(d) We see their faith in Christianity when they say the rosary together.
14. Who is absent from the plantation when Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's agreement moves into action?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Young Master George.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Mose, the child.
15. Why is the man who helps Eliza when she reaches the other side of the river so willing to help her?
(a) He recognizes her as an old friend.
(b) His conscience makes him help her.
(c) He thinks she is pretty.
(d) He does not realize that she is black.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lucy by the end of the Chapter 12?
2. When Mr. Haley becomes agitated during their discussion of slave treatment, what does Mr. Shelby try to calm him with?
3. When the boat Tom is aboard docks, what does Tom do?
4. Who is Eliza?
5. When Mr. Haley leaves Mr. Shelby, what is the awful truth that Mrs. Shelby learns?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)