|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mrs. Shelby first learn the details about Mr. Haley's visit to the plantation?
(a) She finds out when she walks in and hears them trying to whisper their plan.
(b) She finds out from Eliza that evening.
(c) She finds out from young Master George that evening.
(d) Mrs. Shelby doesn't find out about Mr. Haley and why he visits until she asks her husband about the meeting.
2. Who is Dinah?
(a) The Birds' daughter.
(b) The Birds' dog.
(c) The Birds' maid.
(d) The Birds' niece.
3. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
(a) She and Harry will be sold.
(b) Mr. Shelby will be angry for her with playing with Harry and neglecting her work.
(c) Mr. Haley will reveal that he saw Eliza eavesdropping.
(d) Mrs Shelby will be angry with her for not minding her own business.
4. Who is Aunt Chloe?
(a) A gardener.
(b) Mrs. Shelby's name.
(c) Mr. Shelby's aunt who lives with them.
(d) Uncle Tom's wife.
5. Who is Cudjoe?
(a) The Birds' dog.
(b) The Birds' cat.
(c) The Birds' parakeet.
(d) A servant of the Birds'.
6. Who does Mr. Shelby think that Haley speaks of too casually and disrespectfully?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Eliza and Harry.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) The President of the United States.
7. Who is George?
(a) Eliza's husband and Harry's father.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Mr. Shelby's son and heir to the plantation.
(d) Uncle Tom's son.
8. Who gives Uncle Tom a dollar to wear on his neck?
(a) Young Master George.
(b) His children.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
9. How does Eliza react to business transaction she hears Mr. Shelby talk about with Mr. Haley?
(a) She wakes Harry and her husband and they set off to run away together.
(b) She wakes Harry, packs up a few things, and sets off to run away.
(c) She asks Mrs. Shelby to help her hide so that they cannot find her the next day.
(d) She wakes Harry and Uncle Tom and asks Mrs. Shelby to help them find a safe place to live.
10. In which state is Chapter 1 set?
(a) West Virginia.
11. What happens to Lucy by the end of the Chapter 12?
(a) She escapes.
(b) She gets married.
(c) She drowns.
(d) She is set free.
12. Who are Bill and Jerry?
(a) Haley's sons.
(b) Lead deputies.
(d) Shelby's grandsons.
13. How does Uncle Tom receive the news of the slaves on Shelby plantation being sold?
(a) He encourages Eliza to run away and offers to care for her son until she can send for him.
(b) He says he feels badly, but he would never run away becase he would never want to disappoint his master.
(c) He encourages Eliza to get Mrs. Shelby to help her hide.
(d) Uncle Tom tells Eliza that she must be mistaken and that Mr. Shelby would never do such a thing.
14. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does "a neat garden patch, where, every summer, strawberries, raspberries, and a variety of fruit and vegetables, flourished" describe?
(a) The exterior of the main house on the plantation.
(b) The exterior of Uncle Tom's cabin.
(c) The exterior of George's house.
(d) The exterior of Eliza's slave quarters.
15. When Mr. Haley becomes agitated during their discussion of slave treatment, what does Mr. Shelby try to calm him with?
(a) Tea and cornbread.
(b) A hearty breakfast.
(d) Tea and honey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raised Eliza?
2. Who is Augustine St. Clare?
3. How could the people who go to search for Eliza and Harry be described?
4. Who apparently knows nothing of Mr. Shelby's debt?
5. Who does Mr. Haley get to help him find Eliza and Harry?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)