|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Andy?
(a) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(b) A code name for Harry.
(c) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(d) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
2. How does Eliza react to business transaction she hears Mr. Shelby talk about with Mr. Haley?
(a) She wakes Harry and her husband and they set off to run away together.
(b) She wakes Harry and Uncle Tom and asks Mrs. Shelby to help them find a safe place to live.
(c) She wakes Harry, packs up a few things, and sets off to run away.
(d) She asks Mrs. Shelby to help her hide so that they cannot find her the next day.
3. Who are Bill and Jerry?
(a) Shelby's grandsons.
(c) Lead deputies.
(d) Haley's sons.
4. Who is Harry?
(a) A child slave who has run away in search of freedom.
(b) A child slave on the Harris plantation.
(c) A child slave on the Shelby plantation.
(d) A child slave on the Haley plantation.
5. Which character eavesdrops on Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's conversation?
(b) Uncle Tom.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
6. What is Aunt Chloe's primary responsibility of the plantation?
(a) She is in charge of rotating crops.
(b) She is in charge of all child care.
(c) She is gardener.
(d) She is the head cook.
7. Who is the man the reader first meets by name in the tavern where a number of white Kentuckians are drinking and socializing in Chapter 11?
(a) Mr. Harris.
(b) Mr. Wilson.
(c) Mr. Haley.
(d) Mr. Von Trompe.
8. Who is Lucy?
(a) Mrs. Haley.
(b) A child slave Tom meets on the journey.
(c) Another slave Haley buys.
(d) Mr. Haley's old and favorite slave.
9. Which character speaks about slaves in such a way that it is clear that he treats his slaves kindly and has thought a great deal about their humanity?
(a) Mr. Haley.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
10. Where does Tom stay while Haley goes to the slave auction?
(a) At a friend of Haley's.
(b) In a carriage, watched by a guard.
(c) In jail.
(d) At a hotel.
11. Why is the man who helps Eliza when she reaches the other side of the river so willing to help her?
(a) He recognizes her as an old friend.
(b) His conscience makes him help her.
(c) He does not realize that she is black.
(d) He thinks she is pretty.
12. Why doesn't Eliza see her husband much?
(a) He lives and works on a different plantation.
(b) He travels a lot for his job.
(c) He and Eliza have divorced.
(d) He is ill.
13. At the end of the Chapter 16, what aspect of work does Tom say he has experience with?
(a) He knows how to cook.
(b) He knows how to plant crops.
(c) He knows how supervise a house staff.
(d) He knows how to take care of horses.
14. What does Eliza tell the Birds when she appears at their house?
(a) A story about her evil owners.
(b) A story she made up about being beaten.
(c) A story about her masters not giving her sick child health care.
(d) The story of her escape and exhaustion.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does "a neat garden patch, where, every summer, strawberries, raspberries, and a variety of fruit and vegetables, flourished" describe?
(a) The exterior of George's house.
(b) The exterior of the main house on the plantation.
(c) The exterior of Uncle Tom's cabin.
(d) The exterior of Eliza's slave quarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is very protective towards Eliza?
2. Who apparently knows nothing of Mr. Shelby's debt?
3. Who raised Eliza?
4. Broadly speaking, what are Eliza's religious beliefs?
5. What does Mr. Shelby offer Haley to content him when their business deal gets delayed?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)