|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the boat bound for that Tom boards with Mr. Haley?
(a) New Orleans.
(c) Kansas City.
2. When Eliza is describe as a "petted and indulged favorite," what does this mean?
(a) Eliza was treated gently and given privileges.
(b) Eliza was spoiled rotten.
(c) Eliza was ignored.
(d) Eliza was treated like a pet.
3. By the end of the action of the Chapter 17, what happens to Tom Lokar?
(a) He goes to the Halliday home and spies on Eliza and George.
(b) He goes to the Halliday home and served a good meal.
(c) He has met with Phineas, who gives him misleading information.
(d) He is wounded.
4. Where did Eliza get married to her current husband?
(a) On the banks of the Mississippi River.
(b) In a church build especially for weddings between slaves.
(c) On the Shelby plantation.
(d) On the plantation where she worked previously.
5. When does the reader see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity in Chapter 4?
(a) We see evidence when they take turns reading the Bible aloud.
(b) We see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity when they have a prayer meeting in the cabin.
(c) We see their faith in Christianity when they say the rosary together.
(d) We see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity when Aunt Chloe gets on her knees and prays.
6. Which character eavesdrops on Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's conversation?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Mrs. Shelby.
7. When the boat Tom is aboard docks, what does Tom do?
(a) He goes to St. Clare plantation.
(b) He goes to a tavern and waits for Mr. Haley to be done with dinner.
(c) He stays on the boat and reads his Bible.
(d) He goes home with Mr. Haley.
8. How does Mrs. Shelby feel about the people who are in charge of the search party?
(a) She wants them to delay and not actually find Eliza and her son.
(b) She is so sad that she cannot even discuss this matter.
(c) She is confident that her husband will make things right.
(d) She knows their work and is worried they will bring Eliza and her son back and they will be sold.
9. Who is George?
(a) Uncle Tom's son.
(b) Mr. Shelby's son and heir to the plantation.
(c) Eliza's husband and Harry's father.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
10. Who is "Mr. Butler?"
(a) George Harris
(b) A slave trader.
(c) Young Master George.
(d) A U.S. marshal.
11. The title of this Chapter 6 is "Discovery." Why is this an appropriate chapter title?
(a) The Shelbys discover that Eliza and Harry have run away.
(b) The Shelbys discover that they cannot live with the idea of selling their slaves and take back the offer.
(c) Uncle Tom discovers that he does have the courage to run away.
(d) Eliza discovers a spare horse and she and Harry take off on horseback.
12. Who is John Von Trompe?
(a) A person who works as part of the Underground Railroad.
(b) A lawyer whom Haley hired to retrieve Eliza and Harry.
(c) A lawyer who worked with all slave traders in the North.
(d) A lawyer who worked against all slave traders who came North.
13. Who does Mr. Haley get to help him find Eliza and Harry?
(a) Two slave traders.
(b) Mr. Shelby and Mrs. Haley.
(c) All the slaves back at the plantation.
(d) Mr. And Mrs. Shelby.
14. In the description of George, what is said about his father?
(a) His father is actually Mr. Shelby.
(b) He doesn't know who his father is.
(c) His father is actually Uncle Tom.
(d) His father is actually Mr. Haley.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does "a neat garden patch, where, every summer, strawberries, raspberries, and a variety of fruit and vegetables, flourished" describe?
(a) The exterior of Uncle Tom's cabin.
(b) The exterior of Eliza's slave quarters.
(c) The exterior of George's house.
(d) The exterior of the main house on the plantation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hagar?
2. What is the first possible solution Mr. Shelby introduces as a possibility for paying Mr. Haley?
3. Why is Eliza easily able to ask for help of a woman she meets without risking being suspected of being a runaway slave?
4. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
5. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)