|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing that happens in the Quaker household that is different from any households that the reader has seen in this novel so far?
(a) Whites and blacks eat in the same room, but at separate tables.
(b) Whites act as servants to the whites.
(c) Whites and blacks sing spirituals before they dine.
(d) Blacks and whites eat meals at the same table.
2. In which state is Chapter 1 set?
(a) West Virginia.
3. Who are Lokar and Marks?
(a) Riverboat workers.
(b) Slave traders.
(c) Mr. Haley's sons.
4. When Mr. Haley becomes agitated during their discussion of slave treatment, what does Mr. Shelby try to calm him with?
(a) A hearty breakfast.
(b) Tea and honey.
(c) Tea and cornbread.
5. Who does the search party actually take orders from?
(a) Black Sam.
(b) Mrs. Shelby.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
6. At the end of the Chapter 16, what aspect of work does Tom say he has experience with?
(a) He knows how supervise a house staff.
(b) He knows how to plant crops.
(c) He knows how to take care of horses.
(d) He knows how to cook.
7. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
(a) She hides in the closet to hear Mr. and Mrs. Shelby talk.
(b) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and Haley talk.
(c) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and young Master George talk.
(d) She has read the journal on Mr. Shelby's desk when she cleaned.
8. Who is the man the reader first meets by name in the tavern where a number of white Kentuckians are drinking and socializing in Chapter 11?
(a) Mr. Wilson.
(b) Mr. Von Trompe.
(c) Mr. Harris.
(d) Mr. Haley.
9. In the tavern, what is it that one of the Kentuckians brings to the stranger to read?
(a) The daily news paper of this town.
(b) A copy of the Fugitive Slave Act.
(c) An advertisement offering a reward to find a runaway slave.
(d) A menu offering only Kentucky whisky and Kentucky wine.
10. What is Aunt Chloe's mood on this morning after Eliza's escape?
(a) Worried about the safety of Eliza and Harry.
(b) Sad because she misses Eliza and Harry.
(c) Happy that Eliza and Harry have escaped.
(d) Sad because she thinks she will never see Tom again.
11. Which character speaks about slaves in such a way that it is clear that he treats his slaves kindly and has thought a great deal about their humanity?
(b) Mr. Haley.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
12. Who raised Eliza?
(a) Mrs. Shelby
(b) Eliza's natural mother.
(c) Uncle Tom and his wife.
(d) Uncle Tom.
13. Which includes most of the descriptive details of Eliza at the doorstep of the Bird's house?
(a) Torn, frozen clothes, and bandaged head.
(b) Torn, frozen clothes, one shoe missing, bleeding.
(c) Torn, frozen clothes, bleeding, arm broken and in a sling.
(d) Torn, frozen clothes.
14. Why are the ferry boats not running when Eliza is out crossing the river?
(a) It is a holiday.
(b) Lack of fuel.
(c) Chunks of ice in the river.
(d) Canoe travel making travel hazardous for ferries.
15. When Phineas expresses understanding about this thing George possesses, how does Mr. Halliday react?
(a) Halliday says he can tell Phineas was not born a Quaker.
(b) Halliday is proud of Phineas.
(c) Halliday is ashamed of Phineas.
(d) Halliday lets Phineas lecture him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dinah?
2. How does Mrs. Selby react to the news that Eliza has escaped?
3. What news is it that Rachel has for Eliza?
4. What does Harry do when he first meets Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley?
5. What does Eliza tell the Birds when she appears at their house?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)