|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter titled "The Property is Carried Off" what is the "property" that is referred to here?
(b) Uncle Tom.
(d) A railroad car.
2. When does the reader see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity in Chapter 4?
(a) We see evidence when they take turns reading the Bible aloud.
(b) We see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity when Aunt Chloe gets on her knees and prays.
(c) We see their faith in Christianity when they say the rosary together.
(d) We see evidence of the slaves belief in Christianity when they have a prayer meeting in the cabin.
3. What river are Eliza and Harry headed towards as they begin this journey?
(a) The Kentucky River.
(b) The Ohio River.
(c) The Missouri River.
(d) The Mississippi River.
4. What did Aunt Chloe make for breakfast as "the property" prepares to leave the cabin?
(a) Eggs and bacon and ham and grits.
(b) Chicken and corn cake.
(d) Grits and bacon.
5. Who is Hagar?
(a) Albert's mother.
(b) A friend of Haley's.
(c) The local tavern owner.
(d) A slave trader on the lookout for Eliza.
6. When George meets with Eliza, why does he tell her that he travels so far from the plantation on which he works?
(a) He has another wife and child to visit.
(b) He knows he can sell his invention in another city.
(c) He will travel to a place where he will have more freedom than he has now.
(d) He has an ill mother who has no one to care for her.
7. Who is Eliza?
(a) A female slave on the Shelby plantation.
(b) A female slave who has run away in search of freedom.
(c) A female slave on the Haley plantation.
(d) A female slave on the Harris plantation.
8. Who is Cudjoe?
(a) The Birds' dog.
(b) The Birds' parakeet.
(c) The Birds' cat.
(d) A servant of the Birds'.
9. Who is "Black Sam?"
(a) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(b) A code name for Harry.
(c) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
(d) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
10. Why does Eliza fear for George to travel so far?
(a) She feels that there is no place like home.
(b) She fears that he will not make enough money.
(c) She fears that she will have to do George's work in addition to her own.
(d) She fears she may never see him again.
11. How could the people who go to search for Eliza and Harry be described?
(a) A few nearby friendly plantation owners.
(b) White men who will get paid if they bring them back.
(d) Slaves who are trying NOT to catch Eliza and Harry.
12. At the end of the Chapter 16, what aspect of work does Tom say he has experience with?
(a) He knows how to plant crops.
(b) He knows how to take care of horses.
(c) He knows how supervise a house staff.
(d) He knows how to cook.
13. What does Mrs. Bird do to let Eliza and Harry rest?
(a) Led them to seperate cozy rooms where they could sleep.
(b) Took them to a nearby inn so she would not be violating the Fugitive Slave Act.
(c) Led them in front of the fire where they fell asleep in chairs.
(d) Let them fall asleep together on a temporary bed.
14. When Mr. Haley leaves Mr. Shelby, what is the awful truth that Mrs. Shelby learns?
(a) Uncle Tom will be sold, but that he can stay until after harvest.
(b) Uncle Tom and Harry will be sold and gone tomorrow.
(c) Uncle Tom will be sold and gone tomorrow.
(d) Harry will be sold and gone tomorrow.
15. When Phineas is in the town where the Hallidays live, what does he hear a conversation about?
(a) A slave named Tom is looking for Eliza to come to a plantation in New Orleans.
(b) A warrant issued for the Quakers who are hiding slaves.
(c) A reward for catching the runaway slaves.
(d) Slave catchers looking for Eliza and her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man the reader first meets by name in the tavern where a number of white Kentuckians are drinking and socializing in Chapter 11?
2. Who does Mr. Shelby think that Haley speaks of too casually and disrespectfully?
3. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
4. Who raised Eliza?
5. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)