|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aunt Chloe's primary responsibility of the plantation?
(a) She is the head cook.
(b) She is in charge of all child care.
(c) She is in charge of rotating crops.
(d) She is gardener.
2. When the boat Tom is aboard docks, what does Tom do?
(a) He goes home with Mr. Haley.
(b) He stays on the boat and reads his Bible.
(c) He goes to St. Clare plantation.
(d) He goes to a tavern and waits for Mr. Haley to be done with dinner.
3. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
(a) She and Harry will be sold.
(b) Mrs Shelby will be angry with her for not minding her own business.
(c) Mr. Haley will reveal that he saw Eliza eavesdropping.
(d) Mr. Shelby will be angry for her with playing with Harry and neglecting her work.
4. What does George accomplish that shows he has talent?
(a) George invented a way to measure the efficiency of plantation labor.
(b) George invented a hemp-cleaning machine.
(c) George taught Harry classical music.
(d) George invented an earlier model of the cotton gin.
5. What does Mr. Haley say to Mr. Shelby that is insulting?
(a) Mr. Haley says that Shelby spoiled his slaves and now he will expect Shelby to give him cash.
(b) Haley accuses Mr. Shelby of not being fair and possibly helping the slaves get away.
(c) Haley accuses Shelby of being a poor manager.
(d) Haley accuses Shelby of caring too much about his wife thinks.
6. Who says, "I'm in the Lord's hands," as the action of Chapter 10 begins?
(b) Aunt Chloe
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Young Master George
7. What river are Eliza and Harry headed towards as they begin this journey?
(a) The Ohio River.
(b) The Mississippi River.
(c) The Missouri River.
(d) The Kentucky River.
8. What family protects Eliza and Harry once they have crossed the river?
(a) The Rachels.
(b) The Stanwoods.
(c) The Stedmans.
(d) The Hallidays.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does "a neat garden patch, where, every summer, strawberries, raspberries, and a variety of fruit and vegetables, flourished" describe?
(a) The exterior of Eliza's slave quarters.
(b) The exterior of Uncle Tom's cabin.
(c) The exterior of the main house on the plantation.
(d) The exterior of George's house.
10. In the description of George, what is said about his father?
(a) His father is actually Mr. Haley.
(b) His father is actually Uncle Tom.
(c) His father is actually Mr. Shelby.
(d) He doesn't know who his father is.
11. Where did Eliza get married to her current husband?
(a) On the plantation where she worked previously.
(b) In a church build especially for weddings between slaves.
(c) On the banks of the Mississippi River.
(d) On the Shelby plantation.
12. How does Eliza react to business transaction she hears Mr. Shelby talk about with Mr. Haley?
(a) She wakes Harry and Uncle Tom and asks Mrs. Shelby to help them find a safe place to live.
(b) She wakes Harry and her husband and they set off to run away together.
(c) She asks Mrs. Shelby to help her hide so that they cannot find her the next day.
(d) She wakes Harry, packs up a few things, and sets off to run away.
13. What does Senator Bird give someone to help support Eliza before he and she parted?
(a) A ten-dollar bill.
(b) A hundred-dollar bill.
(c) A fifty-dollar bill.
(d) A twenty-dollar bill.
14. Who raised Eliza?
(a) Mrs. Shelby
(b) Eliza's natural mother.
(c) Uncle Tom and his wife.
(d) Uncle Tom.
15. Who is the character "Mas'r George" who is teaching Uncle Tom how to write?
(a) Eliza's husband.
(b) Uncle Tom's eldest son.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby's son, George.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
2. Which character speaks about slaves in such a way that it is clear that he treats his slaves kindly and has thought a great deal about their humanity?
3. Who is Aunt Chloe?
4. How does Mrs. Shelby feel about the people who are in charge of the search party?
5. In which state is Chapter 1 set?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)