|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Shelby feel about the people who are in charge of the search party?
(a) She wants them to delay and not actually find Eliza and her son.
(b) She knows their work and is worried they will bring Eliza and her son back and they will be sold.
(c) She is so sad that she cannot even discuss this matter.
(d) She is confident that her husband will make things right.
2. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
(a) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and Haley talk.
(b) She hides in the closet to hear Mr. and Mrs. Shelby talk.
(c) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and young Master George talk.
(d) She has read the journal on Mr. Shelby's desk when she cleaned.
3. Which includes most of the descriptive details of Eliza at the doorstep of the Bird's house?
(a) Torn, frozen clothes, and bandaged head.
(b) Torn, frozen clothes.
(c) Torn, frozen clothes, bleeding, arm broken and in a sling.
(d) Torn, frozen clothes, one shoe missing, bleeding.
4. Where did Eliza get married to her current husband?
(a) On the Shelby plantation.
(b) In a church build especially for weddings between slaves.
(c) On the banks of the Mississippi River.
(d) On the plantation where she worked previously.
5. Who is Andy?
(a) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(b) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(c) A code name for Harry.
(d) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
6. Who is "Mr. Butler?"
(a) Young Master George.
(b) George Harris
(c) A U.S. marshal.
(d) A slave trader.
7. Who apparently knows nothing of Mr. Shelby's debt?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Mr. Shelby, himself.
(c) Mr. Haley.
8. Why does Eliza fear for George to travel so far?
(a) She feels that there is no place like home.
(b) She fears she may never see him again.
(c) She fears that he will not make enough money.
(d) She fears that she will have to do George's work in addition to her own.
9. Which character eavesdrops on Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's conversation?
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
10. When Phineas expresses understanding about this thing George possesses, how does Mr. Halliday react?
(a) Halliday is ashamed of Phineas.
(b) Halliday lets Phineas lecture him.
(c) Halliday is proud of Phineas.
(d) Halliday says he can tell Phineas was not born a Quaker.
11. Who is George?
(a) Uncle Tom's son.
(b) Mr. Shelby's son and heir to the plantation.
(c) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Eliza's husband and Harry's father.
12. Who does Mr. Shelby think that Haley speaks of too casually and disrespectfully?
(a) Eliza and Harry.
(b) Uncle Tom.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
13. Who is Augustine St. Clare?
(a) Little Eva's father.
(b) A man who talks with Haley on the boat.
(c) Little Eva's mother.
(d) The riverboat captain.
14. In the description of George, what is said about his father?
(a) His father is actually Mr. Shelby.
(b) His father is actually Uncle Tom.
(c) He doesn't know who his father is.
(d) His father is actually Mr. Haley.
15. When Mr. Haley leaves Mr. Shelby, what is the awful truth that Mrs. Shelby learns?
(a) Uncle Tom and Harry will be sold and gone tomorrow.
(b) Uncle Tom will be sold, but that he can stay until after harvest.
(c) Uncle Tom will be sold and gone tomorrow.
(d) Harry will be sold and gone tomorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aunt Chloe's mood on this morning after Eliza's escape?
2. Who is Phineas Fletcher?
3. By what means of transportation does Mr. Haley travel with Tom?
4. What does Mr. Haley say to Mr. Shelby that is insulting?
5. What does Eliza dream of on the first night that she is taken in and sleeping safely at the new family's house?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)