|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Mrs. Bird feels is ignored by the passing of the Fugitive Slave Act?
(b) The Constitution.
2. What has Haley done to Tom that reveals that even Haley recognizes Tom's gentleness and loyalty to his master?
(a) He tells Tom that he appreciates Tom's religious beliefs.
(b) He tells him that he will call off the search for Eliza and Harry.
(c) He takes the chains off his ankles.
(d) He eats meals with Tom.
3. Who is John Von Trompe?
(a) A lawyer whom Haley hired to retrieve Eliza and Harry.
(b) A lawyer who worked against all slave traders who came North.
(c) A lawyer who worked with all slave traders in the North.
(d) A person who works as part of the Underground Railroad.
4. Where is the boat bound for that Tom boards with Mr. Haley?
(b) Kansas City.
(d) New Orleans.
5. Who assumes the role of a preacher when the slaves practice their religion?
(a) A visiting preacher who visits all plantations.
(b) Uncle Tom.
(c) Aunt Chloe.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
6. When George meets with Eliza, why does he tell her that he travels so far from the plantation on which he works?
(a) He has another wife and child to visit.
(b) He knows he can sell his invention in another city.
(c) He has an ill mother who has no one to care for her.
(d) He will travel to a place where he will have more freedom than he has now.
7. Who is Andy?
(a) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(b) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(c) A code name for Harry.
(d) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
8. Where does Tom stay while Haley goes to the slave auction?
(a) In jail.
(b) At a friend of Haley's.
(c) In a carriage, watched by a guard.
(d) At a hotel.
9. Who is Augustine St. Clare?
(a) Little Eva's mother.
(b) A man who talks with Haley on the boat.
(c) The riverboat captain.
(d) Little Eva's father.
10. Who is "Black Sam?"
(a) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
(b) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(c) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(d) A code name for Harry.
11. When George and Eliza are reunited, what is Eliza trying to convince George of?
(a) That it is better for the three of them to travel together.
(b) To leave for Canada alone and then send for her and Harry.
(c) To live with the Hallidays for a while.
(d) To become a Christian.
12. Which character eavesdrops on Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's conversation?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(c) Uncle Tom.
13. Which includes most of the descriptive details of Eliza at the doorstep of the Bird's house?
(a) Torn, frozen clothes, one shoe missing, bleeding.
(b) Torn, frozen clothes, and bandaged head.
(c) Torn, frozen clothes.
(d) Torn, frozen clothes, bleeding, arm broken and in a sling.
14. Who are Lokar and Marks?
(a) Riverboat workers.
(c) Mr. Haley's sons.
(d) Slave traders.
15. Who are Bill and Jerry?
(a) Haley's sons.
(b) Lead deputies.
(c) Shelby's grandsons.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boat Tom is aboard docks, what does Tom do?
2. In which state is Chapter 1 set?
3. Who is Albert?
4. To what place does George plan to travel?
5. The title of this Chapter 6 is "Discovery." Why is this an appropriate chapter title?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)