|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could the people who go to search for Eliza and Harry be described?
(a) White men who will get paid if they bring them back.
(c) Slaves who are trying NOT to catch Eliza and Harry.
(d) A few nearby friendly plantation owners.
2. When Mr. Haley leaves Mr. Shelby, what is the awful truth that Mrs. Shelby learns?
(a) Uncle Tom will be sold, but that he can stay until after harvest.
(b) Harry will be sold and gone tomorrow.
(c) Uncle Tom and Harry will be sold and gone tomorrow.
(d) Uncle Tom will be sold and gone tomorrow.
3. Who is John Von Trompe?
(a) A lawyer whom Haley hired to retrieve Eliza and Harry.
(b) A lawyer who worked with all slave traders in the North.
(c) A lawyer who worked against all slave traders who came North.
(d) A person who works as part of the Underground Railroad.
4. What is Aunt Chloe's primary responsibility of the plantation?
(a) She is in charge of all child care.
(b) She is gardener.
(c) She is in charge of rotating crops.
(d) She is the head cook.
5. When the boat Tom is aboard docks, what does Tom do?
(a) He goes home with Mr. Haley.
(b) He goes to St. Clare plantation.
(c) He stays on the boat and reads his Bible.
(d) He goes to a tavern and waits for Mr. Haley to be done with dinner.
6. When Eliza is describe as a "petted and indulged favorite," what does this mean?
(a) Eliza was treated like a pet.
(b) Eliza was treated gently and given privileges.
(c) Eliza was ignored.
(d) Eliza was spoiled rotten.
7. Who is Andy?
(a) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
(b) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(c) A code name for Harry.
(d) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
8. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
(a) To make it legal for people in norther states to aid runaway slaves.
(b) To make it illegal for people in northern states to aid runaway slaves.
(c) To make it legal for slave traders to enter free states.
(d) To make it illegal for slave catchers to enter free states.
9. How does Mrs. Selby react to the news that Eliza has escaped?
(a) She is furious.
(b) She faints.
(c) She expected this would happen and gets a new personal slave for herself.
(d) She is secretly delighted.
10. Where does Tom stay while Haley goes to the slave auction?
(a) In jail.
(b) At a friend of Haley's.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) In a carriage, watched by a guard.
11. By the end of the action of the Chapter 17, what happens to Tom Lokar?
(a) He goes to the Halliday home and served a good meal.
(b) He has met with Phineas, who gives him misleading information.
(c) He goes to the Halliday home and spies on Eliza and George.
(d) He is wounded.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does "a neat garden patch, where, every summer, strawberries, raspberries, and a variety of fruit and vegetables, flourished" describe?
(a) The exterior of George's house.
(b) The exterior of Uncle Tom's cabin.
(c) The exterior of the main house on the plantation.
(d) The exterior of Eliza's slave quarters.
13. How does Uncle Tom receive the news of the slaves on Shelby plantation being sold?
(a) He encourages Eliza to get Mrs. Shelby to help her hide.
(b) He encourages Eliza to run away and offers to care for her son until she can send for him.
(c) He says he feels badly, but he would never run away becase he would never want to disappoint his master.
(d) Uncle Tom tells Eliza that she must be mistaken and that Mr. Shelby would never do such a thing.
14. What is it that Eliza finds useful while crossing the river?
(a) A small canoe.
(b) A wooden raft.
(c) Chunks of ice.
(d) A kind riverboat captain.
15. Who are the two characters introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Haley.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Shelby.
(c) Uncle Tom and Harry.
(d) Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assumes the role of a preacher when the slaves practice their religion?
2. How does Mrs. Shelby view the news of "her" slaves being sold?
3. Who does the search party actually take orders from?
4. How does Mrs. Shelby feel about the people who are in charge of the search party?
5. What "happy days" does Eliza think of as she leaves the Shelby house?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)