|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter titled "The Property is Carried Off" what is the "property" that is referred to here?
(a) A railroad car.
(c) Uncle Tom.
2. Which includes most of the descriptive details of Eliza at the doorstep of the Bird's house?
(a) Torn, frozen clothes.
(b) Torn, frozen clothes, bleeding, arm broken and in a sling.
(c) Torn, frozen clothes, and bandaged head.
(d) Torn, frozen clothes, one shoe missing, bleeding.
3. As Chapter 7 opens, why is Eliza carrying Harry?
(a) Harry is enchanted with nature in the forest and wants to chase squirrels.
(b) Harry has sprained his ankle.
(c) Harry is quite sleepy and is not able to walk fast.
(d) She is so fearful that he will be in danger that she goes to extremes to protect him.
4. Who is Dinah?
(a) The Birds' maid.
(b) The Birds' niece.
(c) The Birds' dog.
(d) The Birds' daughter.
5. What is Aunt Chloe's primary responsibility of the plantation?
(a) She is gardener.
(b) She is in charge of all child care.
(c) She is in charge of rotating crops.
(d) She is the head cook.
6. When does Mrs. Shelby first learn the details about Mr. Haley's visit to the plantation?
(a) Mrs. Shelby doesn't find out about Mr. Haley and why he visits until she asks her husband about the meeting.
(b) She finds out from young Master George that evening.
(c) She finds out from Eliza that evening.
(d) She finds out when she walks in and hears them trying to whisper their plan.
7. Who are the two characters introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley.
(b) Uncle Tom and Harry.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Haley.
8. The title of this Chapter 6 is "Discovery." Why is this an appropriate chapter title?
(a) The Shelbys discover that they cannot live with the idea of selling their slaves and take back the offer.
(b) Uncle Tom discovers that he does have the courage to run away.
(c) Eliza discovers a spare horse and she and Harry take off on horseback.
(d) The Shelbys discover that Eliza and Harry have run away.
9. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
(a) At night.
(b) At dawn.
(c) After lunch.
(d) On Sundays while people are at church.
10. Who is George?
(a) Mr. Shelby's son and heir to the plantation.
(b) Eliza's husband and Harry's father.
(c) Uncle Tom's son.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
11. Which character is very protective towards Eliza?
(a) Mrs. Shelby
(b) Uncle Tom.
(d) Mr. Haley.
12. When George and Eliza are reunited, what is Eliza trying to convince George of?
(a) To leave for Canada alone and then send for her and Harry.
(b) To live with the Hallidays for a while.
(c) To become a Christian.
(d) That it is better for the three of them to travel together.
13. Broadly speaking, what are Eliza's religious beliefs?
(a) Eliza is Christian.
(b) Eliza is an atheist.
(c) Eliza subscribes to an ancient African religion passed on to her by her family.
(d) Eliza is a Muslim.
14. Who does Mr. Haley get to help him find Eliza and Harry?
(a) Two slave traders.
(b) All the slaves back at the plantation.
(c) Mr. Shelby and Mrs. Haley.
(d) Mr. And Mrs. Shelby.
15. In which state is Chapter 1 set?
(a) West Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raised Eliza?
2. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
3. What news is it that Rachel has for Eliza?
4. What does Eliza dream of on the first night that she is taken in and sleeping safely at the new family's house?
5. Why is Eliza easily able to ask for help of a woman she meets without risking being suspected of being a runaway slave?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)