|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who assumes the role of a preacher when the slaves practice their religion?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Aunt Chloe.
(c) A visiting preacher who visits all plantations.
(d) Uncle Tom.
2. When the boat Tom is aboard docks, what does Tom do?
(a) He stays on the boat and reads his Bible.
(b) He goes to a tavern and waits for Mr. Haley to be done with dinner.
(c) He goes to St. Clare plantation.
(d) He goes home with Mr. Haley.
3. Who raised Eliza?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Eliza's natural mother.
(c) Mrs. Shelby
(d) Uncle Tom and his wife.
4. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
(a) She has read the journal on Mr. Shelby's desk when she cleaned.
(b) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and young Master George talk.
(c) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and Haley talk.
(d) She hides in the closet to hear Mr. and Mrs. Shelby talk.
5. What happens to Lucy by the end of the Chapter 12?
(a) She escapes.
(b) She gets married.
(c) She is set free.
(d) She drowns.
6. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
(a) At dawn.
(b) On Sundays while people are at church.
(c) At night.
(d) After lunch.
7. How does Uncle Tom receive the news of the slaves on Shelby plantation being sold?
(a) He encourages Eliza to run away and offers to care for her son until she can send for him.
(b) He says he feels badly, but he would never run away becase he would never want to disappoint his master.
(c) He encourages Eliza to get Mrs. Shelby to help her hide.
(d) Uncle Tom tells Eliza that she must be mistaken and that Mr. Shelby would never do such a thing.
8. Where is Mr. Butler headed when the reader meets him in the tavern?
(c) The Haley plantation.
9. What did Aunt Chloe make for breakfast as "the property" prepares to leave the cabin?
(a) Eggs and bacon and ham and grits.
(b) Grits and bacon.
(d) Chicken and corn cake.
10. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
(a) Successful crops on their plantations.
(b) Their marriages.
(c) How Mr. Shelby will pay Mr. Haley the debt he owes.
(d) Whether slavery is moral or immoral.
11. What is Aunt Chloe's primary responsibility of the plantation?
(a) She is in charge of all child care.
(b) She is the head cook.
(c) She is gardener.
(d) She is in charge of rotating crops.
12. When Mr. Haley leaves Mr. Shelby, what is the awful truth that Mrs. Shelby learns?
(a) Harry will be sold and gone tomorrow.
(b) Uncle Tom will be sold, but that he can stay until after harvest.
(c) Uncle Tom will be sold and gone tomorrow.
(d) Uncle Tom and Harry will be sold and gone tomorrow.
13. How does Mrs. Shelby view the news of "her" slaves being sold?
(a) She feels that it is God's curse on the people involved in slavery.
(b) She feels badly, but accepts the fact that these things happen on plantations.
(c) She feels that she can change her husband's mind.
(d) She is angry and wants to take her favorite slaves and run away.
14. Who does the search party actually take orders from?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Black Sam.
15. Who is George?
(a) Mr. Shelby.
(b) Eliza's husband and Harry's father.
(c) Uncle Tom's son.
(d) Mr. Shelby's son and heir to the plantation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Bill and Jerry?
2. When Phineas expresses understanding about this thing George possesses, how does Mr. Halliday react?
3. What does Mrs. Bird do to let Eliza and Harry rest?
4. Who is Eva?
5. What is it that Eliza finds useful while crossing the river?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)