|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Phineas Fletcher?
(a) A slave catcher.
(b) A white man who supervises the slaves on the Halliday plantation.
(c) A slave who wants to join Eliza and George on their journey north.
(d) A friend of the Hallidays and a fellow Quaker.
2. Where does Tom stay while Haley goes to the slave auction?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) In jail.
(c) At a friend of Haley's.
(d) In a carriage, watched by a guard.
3. What does Eliza bring along for her and Harry to eat as they travel?
(a) Sandwhiches and oranges.
(b) Cakes and apples.
(c) Sandwiches and apples.
(d) Oranges and apples.
4. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
(a) She hides in the closet to hear Mr. and Mrs. Shelby talk.
(b) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and young Master George talk.
(c) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and Haley talk.
(d) She has read the journal on Mr. Shelby's desk when she cleaned.
5. When Phineas expresses understanding about this thing George possesses, how does Mr. Halliday react?
(a) Halliday lets Phineas lecture him.
(b) Halliday is ashamed of Phineas.
(c) Halliday says he can tell Phineas was not born a Quaker.
(d) Halliday is proud of Phineas.
6. By the end of the action of the Chapter 17, what happens to Tom Lokar?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He goes to the Halliday home and spies on Eliza and George.
(c) He has met with Phineas, who gives him misleading information.
(d) He goes to the Halliday home and served a good meal.
7. Broadly speaking, what are Eliza's religious beliefs?
(a) Eliza is a Muslim.
(b) Eliza is an atheist.
(c) Eliza subscribes to an ancient African religion passed on to her by her family.
(d) Eliza is Christian.
8. Who are the two characters introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Haley.
(b) Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley.
(c) Uncle Tom and Harry.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Shelby.
9. Who does the search party actually take orders from?
(a) Black Sam.
(c) Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
10. Why are the ferry boats not running when Eliza is out crossing the river?
(a) Chunks of ice in the river.
(b) It is a holiday.
(c) Lack of fuel.
(d) Canoe travel making travel hazardous for ferries.
11. In what state does Senator Bird live?
(b) West Virginia.
12. How does Eliza react to business transaction she hears Mr. Shelby talk about with Mr. Haley?
(a) She asks Mrs. Shelby to help her hide so that they cannot find her the next day.
(b) She wakes Harry, packs up a few things, and sets off to run away.
(c) She wakes Harry and her husband and they set off to run away together.
(d) She wakes Harry and Uncle Tom and asks Mrs. Shelby to help them find a safe place to live.
13. When the boat Tom is aboard docks, what does Tom do?
(a) He goes home with Mr. Haley.
(b) He stays on the boat and reads his Bible.
(c) He goes to a tavern and waits for Mr. Haley to be done with dinner.
(d) He goes to St. Clare plantation.
14. Who is "Mr. Butler?"
(a) George Harris
(b) Young Master George.
(c) A slave trader.
(d) A U.S. marshal.
15. Who is Lucy?
(a) Mrs. Haley.
(b) Another slave Haley buys.
(c) Mr. Haley's old and favorite slave.
(d) A child slave Tom meets on the journey.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mrs. Shelby first learn the details about Mr. Haley's visit to the plantation?
2. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
3. What is Aunt Chloe's primary responsibility of the plantation?
4. Who is Albert?
5. How does Uncle Tom receive the news of the slaves on Shelby plantation being sold?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)