|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 37.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
(a) To make it illegal for people in northern states to aid runaway slaves.
(b) To make it illegal for slave catchers to enter free states.
(c) To make it legal for people in norther states to aid runaway slaves.
(d) To make it legal for slave traders to enter free states.
2. When Rosa and Ophelia think they see Topsy hiding something she has stolen, what does this item turn out to be?
(a) A doll that Eva gave her.
(b) A bag of Candy that Ophelia was going to give her later that night.
(c) A pie that Mammy baked for dessert.
(d) A book that Eva gave her.
3. What does George accomplish that shows he has talent?
(a) George invented an earlier model of the cotton gin.
(b) George invented a hemp-cleaning machine.
(c) George taught Harry classical music.
(d) George invented a way to measure the efficiency of plantation labor.
4. Who is Cudjoe?
(a) A servant of the Birds'.
(b) The Birds' parakeet.
(c) The Birds' cat.
(d) The Birds' dog.
5. When Phineas is in the town where the Hallidays live, what does he hear a conversation about?
(a) A warrant issued for the Quakers who are hiding slaves.
(b) Slave catchers looking for Eliza and her family.
(c) A slave named Tom is looking for Eliza to come to a plantation in New Orleans.
(d) A reward for catching the runaway slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hagar?
2. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
3. What are Miss Ophelia's plans for Topsy's future?
4. Which includes most of the descriptive details of Eliza at the doorstep of the Bird's house?
5. Why are the ferry boats not running when Eliza is out crossing the river?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)