|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 14, 15 and 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is absent from the plantation when Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley's agreement moves into action?
(a) Mrs. Shelby.
(b) Mose, the child.
(c) Young Master George.
(d) Mr. Shelby.
2. Why is the man who helps Eliza when she reaches the other side of the river so willing to help her?
(a) He thinks she is pretty.
(b) He recognizes her as an old friend.
(c) He does not realize that she is black.
(d) His conscience makes him help her.
3. Where does Tom stay while Haley goes to the slave auction?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) At a friend of Haley's.
(c) In jail.
(d) In a carriage, watched by a guard.
4. Why are the ferry boats not running when Eliza is out crossing the river?
(a) It is a holiday.
(b) Lack of fuel.
(c) Chunks of ice in the river.
(d) Canoe travel making travel hazardous for ferries.
5. What does Eliza bring along for her and Harry to eat as they travel?
(a) Cakes and apples.
(b) Sandwhiches and oranges.
(c) Sandwiches and apples.
(d) Oranges and apples.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Haley get to help him find Eliza and Harry?
2. Which character speaks about slaves in such a way that it is clear that he treats his slaves kindly and has thought a great deal about their humanity?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does "a neat garden patch, where, every summer, strawberries, raspberries, and a variety of fruit and vegetables, flourished" describe?
4. Who does Mr. Shelby think that Haley speaks of too casually and disrespectfully?
5. Which character is described as a "mulatto?"
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)