|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 14, 15 and 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eliza react to business transaction she hears Mr. Shelby talk about with Mr. Haley?
(a) She wakes Harry, packs up a few things, and sets off to run away.
(b) She asks Mrs. Shelby to help her hide so that they cannot find her the next day.
(c) She wakes Harry and her husband and they set off to run away together.
(d) She wakes Harry and Uncle Tom and asks Mrs. Shelby to help them find a safe place to live.
2. To whom do Sam and Andy tell the story of Eliza's escape?
(a) Two slave traders.
(b) Mr. And Mrs. Shelby.
(c) Mr. Shelby and Mrs. Haley.
(d) All the slaves back at the plantation.
3. Why is the man who helps Eliza when she reaches the other side of the river so willing to help her?
(a) His conscience makes him help her.
(b) He does not realize that she is black.
(c) He thinks she is pretty.
(d) He recognizes her as an old friend.
4. Who does Mr. Shelby think that Haley speaks of too casually and disrespectfully?
(a) Eliza and Harry.
(b) Uncle Tom.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
5. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
(a) To make it legal for slave traders to enter free states.
(b) To make it legal for people in norther states to aid runaway slaves.
(c) To make it illegal for people in northern states to aid runaway slaves.
(d) To make it illegal for slave catchers to enter free states.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
2. Why doesn't Eliza see her husband much?
3. What does Mrs. Bird do to let Eliza and Harry rest?
4. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
5. What does George accomplish that shows he has talent?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)