|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 14, 15 and 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the character "Mas'r George" who is teaching Uncle Tom how to write?
(a) Mr. Shelby's son, George.
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(c) Eliza's husband.
(d) Uncle Tom's eldest son.
2. Why doesn't Eliza see her husband much?
(a) He lives and works on a different plantation.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He travels a lot for his job.
(d) He and Eliza have divorced.
3. Why is Eliza easily able to ask for help of a woman she meets without risking being suspected of being a runaway slave?
(a) The woman is Harriet Tubman, a famous abolitionist.
(b) She is light-skinned enough to "pass" for being white.
(c) The woman says she loves children so much she will do anything to help Eliza and her beautiful son Harry.
(d) The woman she meets is also black and is, therefore, sympathetic.
4. Why are the ferry boats not running when Eliza is out crossing the river?
(a) It is a holiday.
(b) Canoe travel making travel hazardous for ferries.
(c) Lack of fuel.
(d) Chunks of ice in the river.
5. What does Simeon suggest as the wisest time to begin slave travel northward?
(a) At dawn.
(b) After lunch.
(c) On Sundays while people are at church.
(d) At night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Senator Bird react when his wife objects to the passing of the Fugitive Slave Act?
2. Who are Lokar and Marks?
3. What has Haley done to Tom that reveals that even Haley recognizes Tom's gentleness and loyalty to his master?
4. What family protects Eliza and Harry once they have crossed the river?
5. Who is Dinah?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)