|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 14, 15 and 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is very protective towards Eliza?
(b) Mr. Haley.
(c) Mrs. Shelby
(d) Uncle Tom.
2. What is one thing that happens in the Quaker household that is different from any households that the reader has seen in this novel so far?
(a) Whites act as servants to the whites.
(b) Whites and blacks eat in the same room, but at separate tables.
(c) Whites and blacks sing spirituals before they dine.
(d) Blacks and whites eat meals at the same table.
3. Broadly speaking, what are Eliza's religious beliefs?
(a) Eliza is an atheist.
(b) Eliza is a Muslim.
(c) Eliza subscribes to an ancient African religion passed on to her by her family.
(d) Eliza is Christian.
4. In the conversation in the tavern about how to best manage slaves, what is it that interrupts this discussion?
(a) The entrance of Mr. Von Trompe.
(b) The entrance of a United States marshal.
(c) The entrance of Mr. Haley accompanied by Uncle Tom.
(d) The entrance of a man who is said to look like a Spaniard.
5. Why is Eliza easily able to ask for help of a woman she meets without risking being suspected of being a runaway slave?
(a) The woman is Harriet Tubman, a famous abolitionist.
(b) The woman says she loves children so much she will do anything to help Eliza and her beautiful son Harry.
(c) The woman she meets is also black and is, therefore, sympathetic.
(d) She is light-skinned enough to "pass" for being white.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
2. When does Mrs. Shelby first learn the details about Mr. Haley's visit to the plantation?
3. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
4. Who is Hagar?
5. Who are Bill and Jerry?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)