|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Selby react to the news that Eliza has escaped?
(a) She expected this would happen and gets a new personal slave for herself.
(b) She faints.
(c) She is secretly delighted.
(d) She is furious.
2. Which character is described as a "mulatto?"
(d) Mr. Shelby's younger son.
3. Who is Lucy?
(a) Mrs. Haley.
(b) Mr. Haley's old and favorite slave.
(c) A child slave Tom meets on the journey.
(d) Another slave Haley buys.
4. Who are the two characters introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Haley.
(b) Uncle Tom and Harry.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley.
5. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
(a) Successful crops on their plantations.
(b) Their marriages.
(c) How Mr. Shelby will pay Mr. Haley the debt he owes.
(d) Whether slavery is moral or immoral.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the tavern, what is it that one of the Kentuckians brings to the stranger to read?
2. What is Aunt Chloe's primary responsibility of the plantation?
3. What is it that Mrs. Bird feels is ignored by the passing of the Fugitive Slave Act?
4. Which character speaks about slaves in such a way that it is clear that he treats his slaves kindly and has thought a great deal about their humanity?
5. To whom do Sam and Andy tell the story of Eliza's escape?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)