|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main point of the Fugitive Slave Act?
(a) To make it illegal for people in northern states to aid runaway slaves.
(b) To make it legal for people in norther states to aid runaway slaves.
(c) To make it legal for slave traders to enter free states.
(d) To make it illegal for slave catchers to enter free states.
2. Who is Andy?
(a) A slave who belongs to the Shelbys.
(b) A slave who travels around trying to help runaway slaves find shelter.
(c) A code name for Harry.
(d) A slave who travels with Mr. Haley.
3. Who is Dinah?
(a) The Birds' dog.
(b) The Birds' daughter.
(c) The Birds' niece.
(d) The Birds' maid.
4. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
(a) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and Haley talk.
(b) She hides in the closet to hear Shelby and young Master George talk.
(c) She has read the journal on Mr. Shelby's desk when she cleaned.
(d) She hides in the closet to hear Mr. and Mrs. Shelby talk.
5. What does George accomplish that shows he has talent?
(a) George invented an earlier model of the cotton gin.
(b) George invented a hemp-cleaning machine.
(c) George taught Harry classical music.
(d) George invented a way to measure the efficiency of plantation labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the ferry boats not running when Eliza is out crossing the river?
2. Who is the man the reader first meets by name in the tavern where a number of white Kentuckians are drinking and socializing in Chapter 11?
3. When George meets with Eliza, why does he tell her that he travels so far from the plantation on which he works?
4. As Chapter 7 opens, why is Eliza carrying Harry?
5. What does Harry do when he first meets Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)