|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 7 opens, why is Eliza carrying Harry?
(a) Harry has sprained his ankle.
(b) Harry is quite sleepy and is not able to walk fast.
(c) She is so fearful that he will be in danger that she goes to extremes to protect him.
(d) Harry is enchanted with nature in the forest and wants to chase squirrels.
2. The title of this Chapter 6 is "Discovery." Why is this an appropriate chapter title?
(a) Eliza discovers a spare horse and she and Harry take off on horseback.
(b) Uncle Tom discovers that he does have the courage to run away.
(c) The Shelbys discover that Eliza and Harry have run away.
(d) The Shelbys discover that they cannot live with the idea of selling their slaves and take back the offer.
3. How does Eliza react to business transaction she hears Mr. Shelby talk about with Mr. Haley?
(a) She wakes Harry and her husband and they set off to run away together.
(b) She wakes Harry, packs up a few things, and sets off to run away.
(c) She asks Mrs. Shelby to help her hide so that they cannot find her the next day.
(d) She wakes Harry and Uncle Tom and asks Mrs. Shelby to help them find a safe place to live.
4. When Mr. Haley becomes agitated during their discussion of slave treatment, what does Mr. Shelby try to calm him with?
(a) Tea and honey.
(b) A hearty breakfast.
(c) Tea and cornbread.
5. How does Mrs. Shelby view the news of "her" slaves being sold?
(a) She feels badly, but accepts the fact that these things happen on plantations.
(b) She feels that she can change her husband's mind.
(c) She feels that it is God's curse on the people involved in slavery.
(d) She is angry and wants to take her favorite slaves and run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aunt Chloe?
2. Who is Dinah?
3. What does Senator Bird give someone to help support Eliza before he and she parted?
4. Who apparently knows nothing of Mr. Shelby's debt?
5. What are Mr. Shelby and Mr. Haley discussing in Chapter 1?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)