|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Shelby feel about the people who are in charge of the search party?
(a) She wants them to delay and not actually find Eliza and her son.
(b) She knows their work and is worried they will bring Eliza and her son back and they will be sold.
(c) She is confident that her husband will make things right.
(d) She is so sad that she cannot even discuss this matter.
2. When George meets with Eliza, why does he tell her that he travels so far from the plantation on which he works?
(a) He has an ill mother who has no one to care for her.
(b) He knows he can sell his invention in another city.
(c) He has another wife and child to visit.
(d) He will travel to a place where he will have more freedom than he has now.
3. How does Mrs. Shelby view the news of "her" slaves being sold?
(a) She feels that it is God's curse on the people involved in slavery.
(b) She feels badly, but accepts the fact that these things happen on plantations.
(c) She is angry and wants to take her favorite slaves and run away.
(d) She feels that she can change her husband's mind.
4. Who apparently knows nothing of Mr. Shelby's debt?
(a) Mr. Haley.
(c) Mr. Shelby, himself.
(d) Mrs. Shelby.
5. Which character speaks about slaves in such a way that it is clear that he treats his slaves kindly and has thought a great deal about their humanity?
(b) Mr. Shelby.
(d) Mr. Haley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
2. Who are the two characters introduced in Chapter 1?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does "a neat garden patch, where, every summer, strawberries, raspberries, and a variety of fruit and vegetables, flourished" describe?
4. How does Eliza react to business transaction she hears Mr. Shelby talk about with Mr. Haley?
5. Broadly speaking, what are Eliza's religious beliefs?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)