|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When George meets with Eliza, why does he tell her that he travels so far from the plantation on which he works?
(a) He will travel to a place where he will have more freedom than he has now.
(b) He has an ill mother who has no one to care for her.
(c) He has another wife and child to visit.
(d) He knows he can sell his invention in another city.
2. What does Mr. Haley say to Mr. Shelby that is insulting?
(a) Haley accuses Mr. Shelby of not being fair and possibly helping the slaves get away.
(b) Mr. Haley says that Shelby spoiled his slaves and now he will expect Shelby to give him cash.
(c) Haley accuses Shelby of caring too much about his wife thinks.
(d) Haley accuses Shelby of being a poor manager.
3. Shortly before Chapter 1 ends, what is Eliza afraid will happen?
(a) She and Harry will be sold.
(b) Mr. Haley will reveal that he saw Eliza eavesdropping.
(c) Mrs Shelby will be angry with her for not minding her own business.
(d) Mr. Shelby will be angry for her with playing with Harry and neglecting her work.
4. What does George accomplish that shows he has talent?
(a) George invented a way to measure the efficiency of plantation labor.
(b) George invented a hemp-cleaning machine.
(c) George taught Harry classical music.
(d) George invented an earlier model of the cotton gin.
5. What does Mr. Shelby offer Haley to content him when their business deal gets delayed?
(b) A card game.
(c) A game of croquet.
(d) A chess game.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eliza?
2. When Mr. Haley is with Mr. Shelby, how does Eliza find out about the upcoming sale of the slaves?
3. How does Mrs. Shelby view the news of "her" slaves being sold?
4. When does Mrs. Shelby first learn the details about Mr. Haley's visit to the plantation?
5. To what place does George plan to travel?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)