|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Taylor say wants to take over the church?
2. What has Silas gotten more of in this section?
3. What does the sheriff use to break Johnny's knee?
4. What is dragging Sarah into the hole?
5. What does Reva confirm to Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue worry about in Chapter 22?
2. Describe the confrontation between Sue and the sheriff in Chapter 23.
3. What does Sarah think about on the hillside?
4. What does Pastor Dan Taylor think about at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
6. How does Sarah know Tom?
7. What do the white men do to Taylor while he lies in the car?
8. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
9. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
10. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) What are differences in the stories between how black people are violent and how white people are violent?
2) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)