Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Taylor and his people march to?
2. Who does Taylor think has always owned the whole world?
3. What room does Booker carry Sue to?
4. What does Sue think weakened her?
5. What does Ruth give the baby to play with?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wright's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? How important was Wright in changing representations of black people?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) What are differences in the stories between how black people are violent and how white people are violent?
2) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)