|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Johnny?
2. What does Deacon Smith blame Taylor for?
3. What is the title of the song Sue sings in this chapter?
4. What does Sue say she now puts her faith in?
5. Who does Johnny Boy go out to warn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
Essay Topic 3
Was the police's attitude toward black people largely responsible for white society's treatment of black people in general? What laws did black people have to obey in the South in comparison to whites? How has the relationship between the police and black people caused major problems in America in recent times?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)