|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff use to break Johnny's knee?
2. Who does Johnny Boy go out to warn?
3. What does Deacon Smith blame Taylor for?
4. What is the name of Sarah's husband?
5. What do the whites order Taylor to do after they whip him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Johnny-Boy doing in Chapter 21?
2. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
3. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
4. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
5. What does Taylor imagine having the strength to do in Chapter 19?
6. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
7. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
8. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
9. What does Pastor Dan Taylor think about at the beginning of Chapter 17?
10. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)