|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Taylor tell his wife to tell the mayor?
2. What is the name of Sarah's husband?
3. What does Johnny say he does believe in?
4. How does Sue try and help her two boys?
5. Why does Sue not trust Booker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
2. What does Sue worry about in Chapter 22?
3. How does Sarah know Tom?
4. What do the white men do to Taylor while he lies in the car?
5. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
6. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
7. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
8. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
9. What does Pastor Dan Taylor think about at the beginning of Chapter 17?
10. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) What are differences in the stories between how black people are violent and how white people are violent?
2) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
Essay Topic 3
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)