|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose feet does Sue hear tramping through the yard?
2. What does Sue plan to hide inside the sheet?
3. What is Sue doing when she hears a knock at the door?
4. Who does Johnny Boy go out to warn?
5. Which of Taylor's guests will he talk to first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Johnny-Boy doing in Chapter 21?
2. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
3. What does Taylor imagine having the strength to do in Chapter 19?
4. How does Sarah know Tom?
5. What does Sue worry about in Chapter 22?
6. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
7. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
8. What conflict does Sue have in Chapter 25?
9. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
10. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the police's attitude toward black people largely responsible for white society's treatment of black people in general? What laws did black people have to obey in the South in comparison to whites? How has the relationship between the police and black people caused major problems in America in recent times?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)