|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas do with the graphophone?
2. Who does Johnny Boy go out to warn?
3. What does the salesman try to sell to Sarah?
4. What party is Booker a member of?
5. Where is the mayor waiting for Taylor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
2. What is Johnny-Boy doing in Chapter 21?
3. How do the men break Johnny's knees?
4. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
5. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
6. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
7. What does Sarah think about on the hillside?
8. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
9. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
10. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)