|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sue doing when she hears a knock at the door?
2. Where did Sarah kiss Tom for the first time?
3. What does Deacon Smith blame Taylor for?
4. What does Johnny Boy say he does not believe in?
5. What does Taylor accuse Smith of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sue react to the white men in her kitchen?
2. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
3. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
4. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
5. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
6. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
7. Describe the confrontation between Sue and the sheriff in Chapter 23.
8. What conflict does Sue have in Chapter 25?
9. What does Sue worry about in Chapter 22?
10. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the differences between how Wright represents white characters and how he represents black characters.
1) In what way are Wright's representations of white characters unsympathetic? Are they too unsympathetic?
2) In what way does Wright suggest that any negative characteristics in a black person is down to their treatment by the whites? Is this an accurate representation?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)