|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Taylor tell his wife to tell the mayor?
2. Who does Johnny Boy go out to warn?
3. Where do Taylor and his people march to?
4. What does Johnny say he does believe in?
5. What kind of music does the salesman play on the graphophone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
2. What did Sue used to believe in?
3. What conflict does Sue have in Chapter 25?
4. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
5. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
6. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
7. What does Taylor imagine having the strength to do in Chapter 19?
8. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
9. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
10. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the whites' oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they keep the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear? What did the white man fear?
3) In what way could it be said the equality between races has benefited society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)