|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny Boy have to do to live?
2. What does Smith accuse Smith of being?
3. What information does the sheriff want from Johnny Boy?
4. What does the sheriff use to break Johnny's knee?
5. How does Sue try and help her two boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
2. How does Sarah know Tom?
3. What does Taylor imagine having the strength to do in Chapter 19?
4. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
5. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
6. What does Taylor say in his speech?
7. What does Sue worry about in Chapter 22?
8. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
9. What are Hadley and Green worried about in Chapter 18?
10. How does Sue react to the white men in her kitchen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) What are differences in the stories between how black people are violent and how white people are violent?
2) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)