|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character in this story?
2. What does the sheriff ask Sue?
3. What does Deacon Smith blame Taylor for?
4. What does Johnny Boy say he does not believe in?
5. What is the title of the song Sue sings in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
2. What do the white men do to Taylor while he lies in the car?
3. What does Pastor Dan Taylor think about at the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. How does Sarah know Tom?
5. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
6. What conflict does Sue have in Chapter 25?
7. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
8. Describe the confrontation between Sue and the sheriff in Chapter 23.
9. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
10. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the differences between how Wright represents white characters and how he represents black characters.
1) In what way are Wright's representations of white characters unsympathetic? Are they too unsympathetic?
2) In what way does Wright suggest that any negative characteristics in a black person is down to their treatment by the whites? Is this an accurate representation?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)