|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chief Bruden greet Taylor as?
2. What does the mob light the house with?
3. What does Johnny Boy have to do to live?
4. What is dragging Sarah into the hole?
5. What does the sheriff ask Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the white men do to Taylor while he lies in the car?
2. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
3. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
4. How does Sue react to the white men in her kitchen?
5. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
6. How do the men break Johnny's knees?
7. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
8. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
9. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
10. What is Johnny-Boy doing in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Wright's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? How important was Wright in changing representations of black people?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)