|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue say she now puts her faith in?
2. What does Silas start throwing out of his house?
3. What does Sue remember the sheriff saying to get for her son?
4. Where does Taylor say he wants to lead his people?
5. Who does Johnny Boy go out to warn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
2. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
3. What are Hadley and Green worried about in Chapter 18?
4. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
5. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
6. What does Taylor say in his speech?
7. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
8. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
9. How does Sue react to the white men in her kitchen?
10. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)