|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff say Sue will need to collect her son?
2. What does the mayor describe both himself and Taylor as?
3. What does Taylor say he saw while he was being whipped?
4. What is Sue doing when she hears a knock at the door?
5. Which of Taylor's guests will he talk to first?
Essay Topic 1
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)