|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Taylor's son?
2. When does the salesman say he will come back?
3. What does Chief Bruden greet Taylor as?
4. What does Smith accuse Smith of being?
5. What is dragging Sarah into the hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
2. How does Sarah know Tom?
3. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
4. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
5. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
6. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
7. What are Hadley and Green worried about in Chapter 18?
8. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
9. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
10. What does Sarah think about on the hillside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)