|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the name of the two communists Taylor has to meet?
2. Where did Sarah kiss Tom for the first time?
3. What does Sarah think she is lucky to have?
4. What does Ruth give the baby to play with?
5. What is the name of Sarah's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Taylor say in his speech?
2. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
3. What are Hadley and Green worried about in Chapter 18?
4. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
5. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
6. How does Sarah know Tom?
7. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
8. What did Sue used to believe in?
9. How does Sue react to the white men in her kitchen?
10. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Wright's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Wright's style give to his story?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)