|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue remember the sheriff saying to get for her son?
2. What kind of music does the salesman play on the graphophone?
3. Where does Taylor say he wants to lead his people?
4. What does Sue think weakened her?
5. What does Sue plan to hide inside the sheet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pastor Dan Taylor think about at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
3. What is Johnny-Boy doing in Chapter 21?
4. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
5. What does Sarah think about on the hillside?
6. What does Taylor say in his speech?
7. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
8. What conflict does Sue have in Chapter 25?
9. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
10. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)