|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sarah run to in this section?
2. Where has the sheriff caught Johnny Boy?
3. When does the salesman say he will come back?
4. What does Sue plan to hide inside the sheet?
5. What does Sue think weakened her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sue react to the white men in her kitchen?
2. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
4. Describe the confrontation between Sue and the sheriff in Chapter 23.
5. What does Sarah think about on the hillside?
6. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
7. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
8. What does Sue worry about in Chapter 22?
9. What do the white men do to Taylor while he lies in the car?
10. What is Johnny-Boy doing in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)