|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas start throwing out of his house?
2. What does the sheriff brace Johnny's knee on?
3. What is the only thing Sue can see in the distance?
4. What does Sue give her son before he leaves?
5. What is the name of Sarah's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
2. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
3. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
4. What conflict does Sue have in Chapter 25?
5. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
6. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
7. How do the men break Johnny's knees?
8. What is Johnny-Boy doing in Chapter 21?
9. How does Sue react to the white men in her kitchen?
10. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the differences between how Wright represents white characters and how he represents black characters.
1) In what way are Wright's representations of white characters unsympathetic? Are they too unsympathetic?
2) In what way does Wright suggest that any negative characteristics in a black person is down to their treatment by the whites? Is this an accurate representation?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)