|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny say he does believe in?
2. What does Smith accuse Smith of being?
3. How does Sue try and help her two boys?
4. What does the mayor describe both himself and Taylor as?
5. What does Sarah dream she is being dragged into?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
2. What did Sue used to believe in?
3. What does Pastor Dan Taylor think about at the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. What does Taylor say in his speech?
5. What do the white men do to Taylor while he lies in the car?
6. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
7. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
8. How do the men break Johnny's knees?
9. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
10. What does Sue worry about in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Was the police's attitude toward black people largely responsible for white society's treatment of black people in general? What laws did black people have to obey in the South in comparison to whites? How has the relationship between the police and black people caused major problems in America in recent times?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)