|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Smith suggest he will go to to stop the march?
2. What does the salesman try to sell to Sarah?
3. Who visits Taylor in this section?
4. What does Sue hope that Booker is not?
5. What does Johnny Boy say he does not believe in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
2. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
3. Why does Silas enter the room in a good mood in this chapter?
4. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
5. What does Taylor say in his speech?
6. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
7. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
8. How does Sue react to the white men in her kitchen?
9. How do the men break Johnny's knees?
10. What did Sue used to believe in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
Essay Topic 3
What rules did the Southern whites enforce on the blacks? How did they blacks eventually manage to overturn such laws? How important were people like Richard Wright in highlighting the stupidity of such rules?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)