|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas do with the graphophone?
2. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Johnny?
3. What does Ruth give the baby to play with?
4. Who visits Taylor in this section?
5. What does the sheriff use to break Johnny's knee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Johnny-Boy doing in Chapter 21?
2. What did Sue used to believe in?
3. What are Hadley and Green worried about in Chapter 18?
4. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
5. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
6. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
7. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
8. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
9. What does Sarah think about on the hillside?
10. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
Essay Topic 2
What rules did the Southern whites enforce on the blacks? How did they blacks eventually manage to overturn such laws? How important were people like Richard Wright in highlighting the stupidity of such rules?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)