|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas do with the graphophone?
2. What is the only thing Sue can see in the distance?
3. Where does Taylor want Deacon Smith to wait?
4. Who does Taylor say wants to take over the church?
5. What are Sue's last words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silas get angry in Chapter 15?
2. What do the white men do to Taylor while he lies in the car?
3. How do the men break Johnny's knees?
4. Describe the confrontation between Sue and the sheriff in Chapter 23.
5. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
6. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
7. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
8. How does Sue react to the white men in her kitchen?
9. How does Sarah know Tom?
10. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the whites' oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they keep the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear? What did the white man fear?
3) In what way could it be said the equality between races has benefited society?
Essay Topic 3
Was the police's attitude toward black people largely responsible for white society's treatment of black people in general? What laws did black people have to obey in the South in comparison to whites? How has the relationship between the police and black people caused major problems in America in recent times?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)