|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sue's son?
2. What does Sarah think she is lucky to have?
3. What do the sheriff's men throw over Sue?
4. What does Sue say she now puts her faith in?
5. What is Sue doing when she hears a knock at the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
2. What does Taylor instruct his wife to do in Chapter 18?
3. Describe the confrontation between Silas and the white men in Chapter 16.
4. How does Sarah stop her baby from crying in Chapter 14?
5. What is Johnny-Boy doing in Chapter 21?
6. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
7. What does Taylor imagine having the strength to do in Chapter 19?
8. What does Sarah think about on the hillside?
9. What does Pastor Dan Taylor think about at the beginning of Chapter 17?
10. What does Taylor say about his past in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 2
What rules did the Southern whites enforce on the blacks? How did they blacks eventually manage to overturn such laws? How important were people like Richard Wright in highlighting the stupidity of such rules?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)