|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to give Big Boy and Bobo a lift out of town?
2. What does Mann use to make a hole in the ceiling?
3. Where do Mann and Brinkley take the Heartfield family?
4. Who do the boys make fun of in the water?
5. What is Wright's role at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to a black bellboy who has sex with a white prostitute?
2. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
3. How do Big Boy and Bobo get home after Big Boy shoots the army officer?
4. What does Wright say his mother taught him in the opening section?
5. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
6. How does Big Boy deal with the dog that finds him?
7. Describe the fight between Big Boy and Bobo.
8. Why does the white hospital staff laugh in this chapter?
9. What job do the soldiers give Mann at the beginning of this chapter?
10. Why do Big Boy's friends not want to go to the swimming pool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What rules did the Southern whites enforce on the blacks? How did they blacks eventually manage to overturn such laws? How important were people like Richard Wright in highlighting the stupidity of such rules?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)