|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the mob to go home?
2. What does the woman do when Big Boy asks for his clothes?
3. What is wrong with Lulu?
4. What city does Wright move to in this section?
5. Who does Mann ask to save him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the white hospital staff laugh in this chapter?
2. Describe the fight between Big Boy and Bobo.
3. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
4. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
5. What job do the soldiers give Mann at the beginning of this chapter?
6. What subjects can Wright not discuss with his white employees in Memphis?
7. What does Wright say his mother taught him in the opening section?
8. How do Wright's co-workers at the factory contrive to get rid of him?
9. How do people in the clothing store react to the black women being beaten?
10. Describe the confrontation between the boys and the couple in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
Essay Topic 2
Was the police's attitude toward black people largely responsible for white society's treatment of black people in general? What laws did black people have to obey in the South in comparison to whites? How has the relationship between the police and black people caused major problems in America in recent times?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)