|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the whites refer to the castrated bellboy as lucky?
2. Why does the black maid forgive Wright for not arguing with the white man?
3. What religion is the man who lends Wright his library card?
4. Which of the following subjects is Wright not allowed to talk about with his white employees?
5. What kind of factory does Wright work in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between the boys and the couple in Chapter 5.
2. What are Big Boy and his friends doing in this chapter?
3. How do the boys give the made up word "quall" meaning?
4. What violence does Wright witness in the clothing store?
5. What job do the soldiers give Mann at the beginning of this chapter?
6. What work do the black men do at the cement plant?
7. What does Wright say his mother taught him in the opening section?
8. Describe the confrontation between Wright and the night watchman.
9. What does Bob say is the situation in town?
10. How does Mann help the Heartfields in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Was the police's attitude toward black people largely responsible for white society's treatment of black people in general? What laws did black people have to obey in the South in comparison to whites? How has the relationship between the police and black people caused major problems in America in recent times?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)