|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Wright's co workers accuse him of?
2. What is the name of the man who owns the swimming hole?
3. Who does Mann ask to save him?
4. How does Big Boy kill the dog?
5. Who plies their trade at the hotel Wright works at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah think about on the hillside?
2. What idea does Sue have in Chapter 25?
3. Describe the encounter Wright has with some white boys when he gets a flat tire.
4. What does Big Boy think about while he waits in the hole?
5. What problems does Sue have with Booker in Chapter 24?
6. What are Hadley and Green worried about in Chapter 18?
7. What does Sue worry about in Chapter 22?
8. How does Mann help out at the hospital?
9. How do people in the clothing store react to the black women being beaten?
10. How do the men break Johnny's knees?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
Essay Topic 2
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)