Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jim's job?
2. Who plies their trade at the hotel Wright works at?
3. Where does Brinkley have to ferry people away from?
4. Which member of the Heartfield family answers Brinkley's call?
5. What was Wright's yard filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
2. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
3. What work do the black men do at the cement plant?
4. Describe the confrontation between Sue and the sheriff in Chapter 23.
5. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
6. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
7. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
8. What does Taylor imagine having the strength to do in Chapter 19?
9. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
10. Describe Wright's work as a bellboy.
Essay Topic 1
Examine the whites' oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they keep the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear? What did the white man fear?
3) In what way could it be said the equality between races has benefited society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)