|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mann ask Bob to sell?
2. What does Mann use to make a hole in the ceiling?
3. What does Wright say his yard lacked?
4. What is the name of the main character in this story?
5. What happens to the black bell boy who was caught having sex with a white prostitute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wright's house.
2. What does Wright say his mother taught him in the opening section?
3. Describe the confrontation between Wright and the night watchman.
4. How do people in the clothing store react to the black women being beaten?
5. Describe the confrontation between Mann and Heartfield.
6. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
7. Describe the confrontation between the boys and the couple in Chapter 5.
8. How does Mann help out at the hospital?
9. What are Big Boy and his friends doing in this chapter?
10. How does Big Boy deal with the dog that finds him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) What are differences in the stories between how black people are violent and how white people are violent?
2) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)