|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wright's boss offer him in the back room?
2. What do the black workers load the cement bags into?
3. Who is going to give Big Boy and Bobo a lift out of town?
4. What takes Lulu to the hospital?
5. What happens to the black bell boy who was caught having sex with a white prostitute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to a black bellboy who has sex with a white prostitute?
2. Why do Big Boy's friends not want to go to the swimming pool?
3. How does Big Boy deal with the dog that finds him?
4. Describe the confrontation between Mann and Heartfield.
5. How do Big Boy and Bobo get home after Big Boy shoots the army officer?
6. What does Bob say is the situation in town?
7. How do Big Boy's parent react when Big Boy tells them he has shot a white man?
8. What does Sue worry about in Chapter 22?
9. How do the boys give the made up word "quall" meaning?
10. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 1,510 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)