|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in this chapter?
2. What is the name of the woman's fiance?
3. Who tries to follow Lulu's body?
4. Which member of the Heartfield family answers Brinkley's call?
5. What is Wright's job at the clothing store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between the boys and the couple in Chapter 5.
2. Describe Wright's work as a bellboy.
3. What happens to Mann when he gets to town?
4. Describe the encounter Wright has with some white boys when he gets a flat tire.
5. What does Bob say is the situation in town?
6. Describe the confrontation between Wright and the night watchman.
7. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
8. What does Mann think about when he raises his ax to kill the family?
9. Describe the fight between Big Boy and Bobo.
10. Why do Big Boy's friends not want to go to the swimming pool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)