Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jim's job?
2. Who plies their trade at the hotel Wright works at?
3. Where does Brinkley have to ferry people away from?
4. Which member of the Heartfield family answers Brinkley's call?
5. What was Wright's yard filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
2. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
3. What work do the black men do at the cement plant?
4. Describe the confrontation between Sue and the sheriff in Chapter 23.
5. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
6. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
7. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
8. What does Taylor imagine having the strength to do in Chapter 19?
9. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
10. Describe Wright's work as a bellboy.
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)