Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jim's job?
2. Who plies their trade at the hotel Wright works at?
3. Where does Brinkley have to ferry people away from?
4. Which member of the Heartfield family answers Brinkley's call?
5. What was Wright's yard filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
2. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
3. What work do the black men do at the cement plant?
4. Describe the confrontation between Sue and the sheriff in Chapter 23.
5. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
6. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
7. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
8. What does Taylor imagine having the strength to do in Chapter 19?
9. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
10. Describe Wright's work as a bellboy.
Essay Topic 1
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
What rules did the Southern whites enforce on the blacks? How did they blacks eventually manage to overturn such laws? How important were people like Richard Wright in highlighting the stupidity of such rules?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)