|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wright do to avoid saying thank you?
2. Who approaches them when the boys get out of the water?
3. Who do the boys make fun of in the water?
4. What happens to the black bell boy who was caught having sex with a white prostitute?
5. Who are the last people to leave on the boats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mann think about when he raises his ax to kill the family?
2. How does Mann die?
3. How do Big Boy and Bobo get home after Big Boy shoots the army officer?
4. Describe the confrontation between Wright and the night watchman.
5. What does Big Boy think about while he waits in the hole?
6. How does Mann help the Heartfields in Chapter 12?
7. Describe Wright's house.
8. How do Wright's co-workers at the factory contrive to get rid of him?
9. Describe the confrontation between Mann and Heartfield.
10. Describe the encounter Wright has with some white boys when he gets a flat tire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) What are differences in the stories between how black people are violent and how white people are violent?
2) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Wright's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Wright's style give to his story?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)