|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wright's job at the clothing store?
2. What does Big Boy fantasize about killing?
3. What causes the mob to go home?
4. Why do the boys make up words?
5. What does Wright's boss offer him in the back room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
2. Describe the encounter Wright has with some white boys when he gets a flat tire.
3. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
4. How do Big Boy and Bobo get home after Big Boy shoots the army officer?
5. What happens to Mann when he gets to town?
6. Describe Wright's work as a bellboy.
7. How do Big Boy's parent react when Big Boy tells them he has shot a white man?
8. Describe the confrontation between Mann and Heartfield.
9. Describe Wright's house.
10. What does Wright say his mother taught him in the opening section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)