|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to follow Lulu's body?
2. What does the woman do when Big Boy asks for his clothes?
3. What is Jim's job?
4. What is the name of the man who owns the swimming hole?
5. Where does the boat take Mann?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
2. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
3. What does Big Boy think about while he waits in the hole?
4. Describe the confrontation between the boys and the couple in Chapter 5.
5. Describe the confrontation between Wright and the night watchman.
6. Why do Big Boy's friends not want to go to the swimming pool?
7. How do Big Boy and Bobo get home after Big Boy shoots the army officer?
8. How does Mann die?
9. What subjects can Wright not discuss with his white employees in Memphis?
10. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Wright's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Wright's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Wright's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? How important was Wright in changing representations of black people?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)