|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the mob to go home?
2. Which of the following do the soldiers not give Mann?
3. What is the name of the woman's fiance?
4. What state does Wright move to in this chapter?
5. What was Wright's yard filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mann help out at the hospital?
2. What does Bob say is the situation in town?
3. Describe Wright's house.
4. What subjects can Wright not discuss with his white employees in Memphis?
5. What does Big Boy think about while he waits in the hole?
6. What work do the black men do at the cement plant?
7. What happens to a black bellboy who has sex with a white prostitute?
8. What are Big Boy and his friends doing in this chapter?
9. Describe the confrontation between Mann and Heartfield.
10. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the differences between how Wright represents white characters and how he represents black characters.
1) In what way are Wright's representations of white characters unsympathetic? Are they too unsympathetic?
2) In what way does Wright suggest that any negative characteristics in a black person is down to their treatment by the whites? Is this an accurate representation?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)