|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Big Boys tells about what happened?
2. Who do Big Boy and Bobo try to avoid on the way home?
3. What city does Wright move to in this section?
4. Who is the only one of the four boys who wants to go swimming?
5. What do the soldiers take away from Mann?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mann help out at the hospital?
2. Describe Wright's house.
3. What does Wright say his mother taught him in the opening section?
4. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
5. What are Big Boy and his friends doing in this chapter?
6. How do Big Boy's parent react when Big Boy tells them he has shot a white man?
7. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
8. Describe the encounter Wright has with some white boys when he gets a flat tire.
9. How does Big Boy deal with the dog that finds him?
10. How do people in the clothing store react to the black women being beaten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the whites' oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they keep the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear? What did the white man fear?
3) In what way could it be said the equality between races has benefited society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)