|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Big Boy hide in?
2. Which of the following words to the boys make up?
3. What does Mann use to make a hole in the ceiling?
4. What stops Mann from killing the boy with the ax?
5. What do the soldiers need men to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Big Boy's parent react when Big Boy tells them he has shot a white man?
2. Why do Wright's co-workers at the optical factory not like him?
3. Why does the white hospital staff laugh in this chapter?
4. Why do Big Boy's friends not want to go to the swimming pool?
5. What are Big Boy and his friends doing in this chapter?
6. How does Mann die?
7. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
8. Describe the fight between Big Boy and Bobo.
9. How do the boys give the made up word "quall" meaning?
10. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)