|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops Mann from killing the boy with the ax?
2. Where does the doctor suggest Mann take his family?
3. What happens to Wright before he leaves his job?
4. Where does Big Boy grab Bobo?
5. What does the woman do when Big Boy asks for his clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Big Boy and Bobo get home after Big Boy shoots the army officer?
2. Describe the confrontation between Mann and Heartfield.
3. Why do Wright's co-workers at the optical factory not like him?
4. What are Big Boy and his friends doing in this chapter?
5. How does Mann die?
6. What happens to Mann when the Heartfield family identifies him as the killer?
7. What happens to a black bellboy who has sex with a white prostitute?
8. How does Mann help out at the hospital?
9. Describe the encounter Wright has with some white boys when he gets a flat tire.
10. How does Mann help the Heartfields in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)