|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman's fiance?
2. What is Wright's job at the clothing store?
3. What phrase is Wright worried the white man in the elevator will find insulting if he said it?
4. How does Big Boy kill the dog?
5. Who does Mann look for in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between Wright and the night watchman.
2. What does Wright say his mother taught him in the opening section?
3. How does Mann die?
4. What does Bob say is the situation in town?
5. How do people in the clothing store react to the black women being beaten?
6. Describe the fight between Big Boy and Bobo.
7. How does Big Boy deal with the dog that finds him?
8. Why does the white hospital staff laugh in this chapter?
9. What does Mann think about when he raises his ax to kill the family?
10. Describe the confrontation between the boys and the couple in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)