|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of factory does Wright work in?
2. What do the soldiers take away from Mann?
3. Who is the first member of the Heartfield family to recognize Mann?
4. What does the mob start a fire to heat?
5. Which of the following is not the name of one of Big Boy's friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mann when he gets to town?
2. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
3. Why does the white hospital staff laugh in this chapter?
4. How does Mann help out at the hospital?
5. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
6. How do the boys give the made up word "quall" meaning?
7. How do Wright's co-workers at the factory contrive to get rid of him?
8. What happens to a black bellboy who has sex with a white prostitute?
9. Why do Wright's co-workers at the optical factory not like him?
10. How does Big Boy deal with the dog that finds him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How important is education in teaching children about the dangers of racism?
2) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the differences between how Wright represents white characters and how he represents black characters.
1) In what way are Wright's representations of white characters unsympathetic? Are they too unsympathetic?
2) In what way does Wright suggest that any negative characteristics in a black person is down to their treatment by the whites? Is this an accurate representation?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)