|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Big Boy hide in?
2. What is wrong with Lulu?
3. What is Jim's job?
4. What does the soldier want back from Mann?
5. What does Wright have to do when he sees a white man in the elevator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wright say his mother taught him in the opening section?
2. Describe the confrontation between the boys and the couple in Chapter 5.
3. What job do the soldiers give Mann at the beginning of this chapter?
4. Describe Wright's work as a bellboy.
5. What happens to Mann when the Heartfield family identifies him as the killer?
6. How do Wright's co-workers at the factory contrive to get rid of him?
7. Describe the encounter Wright has with some white boys when he gets a flat tire.
8. Why does the white hospital staff laugh in this chapter?
9. How does Mann help the Heartfields in Chapter 12?
10. How do Big Boy and Bobo get home after Big Boy shoots the army officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)