|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the doctor suggest Mann take his family?
2. What does one of Wright's co-workers say Wright forgot to say?
3. What city does Wright move to in this section?
4. Where do Mann and Brinkley take the Heartfield family?
5. What does the woman do when Big Boy asks for his clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to a black bellboy who has sex with a white prostitute?
2. Why does the white hospital staff laugh in this chapter?
3. How do Big Boy's parent react when Big Boy tells them he has shot a white man?
4. What subjects can Wright not discuss with his white employees in Memphis?
5. What job do the soldiers give Mann at the beginning of this chapter?
6. Describe Wright's work as a bellboy.
7. What happens to Mann when he gets to town?
8. What are Big Boy and his friends doing in this chapter?
9. How does Mann help the Heartfields in Chapter 12?
10. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
Essay Topic 3
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)