|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of Wright's co-workers say Wright forgot to say?
2. Which of the following words to the boys make up?
3. What does the woman do when Big Boy asks for his clothes?
4. What happens to Wright before he leaves his job?
5. Who is the main character in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mann think about when he raises his ax to kill the family?
2. What does Wright say his mother taught him in the opening section?
3. Describe the confrontation between Mann and Heartfield.
4. How do Wright's co-workers at the factory contrive to get rid of him?
5. How does Mann die?
6. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
7. What does Bob say is the situation in town?
8. How do Big Boy and Bobo get home after Big Boy shoots the army officer?
9. How does Mann help the Heartfields in Chapter 12?
10. How do Big Boy's parent react when Big Boy tells them he has shot a white man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and short story formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an short story? What can Wright not express in a short story that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the whites' oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they keep the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear? What did the white man fear?
3) In what way could it be said the equality between races has benefited society?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)