|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family the soldiers ask Mann to save?
2. What is the matter with Wright's bicycle in this chapter?
3. Where is Mann shot?
4. Why do the whites refer to the castrated bellboy as lucky?
5. What did the white children throw at Wright and his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What violence does Wright witness in the clothing store?
2. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
3. What happens to Mann when he gets to town?
4. Describe the confrontation between Mann and Heartfield.
5. Describe the confrontation between Wright and the night watchman.
6. How does Mann help the Heartfields in Chapter 12?
7. How do Big Boy's parent react when Big Boy tells them he has shot a white man?
8. How does Mann help out at the hospital?
9. Describe the confrontation between the boys and the couple in Chapter 5.
10. How does this chapter show the four teenage boys as innocent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)