|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the boys make up words?
2. What do the soldiers take away from Mann?
3. What does Mann drink in the kitchen tent?
4. Who does Mann ask to save him?
5. What does Wright do to avoid saying thank you?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Big Boy's parent react when Big Boy tells them he has shot a white man?
2. What job do the soldiers give Mann at the beginning of this chapter?
3. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
4. How do the boys give the made up word "quall" meaning?
5. How do Wright's co-workers at the factory contrive to get rid of him?
6. Describe the encounter Wright has with some white boys when he gets a flat tire.
7. What are Big Boy and his friends doing in this chapter?
8. Why do Wright's co-workers at the optical factory not like him?
9. What happens to Mann when he gets to town?
10. How do Big Boy and Bobo get home after Big Boy shoots the army officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Communism and Christianity.
1) In what way is Communism the opposite of Christianity?
2) Why does Wright show Communism as a forward move for black people?
Essay Topic 2
Examine black masculinity.
1) In what ways did the whites oppress black masculinity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black masculinity affect black men?
3) How have black men reacted to the oppression of their masculinity?
Essay Topic 3
All the stories in the book are written in the third person. Why do you think Wright chose to write in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the book would change if it were written in the first person?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)