|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mann ask to save him?
2. What does Big Boy hide in?
3. What does the soldier want back from Mann?
4. What kind of songs do the boys sing?
5. Where does Big Boy grab Bobo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between Mann and Heartfield.
2. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
3. What are Big Boy and his friends doing in this chapter?
4. How does Big Boy deal with the dog that finds him?
5. Describe Wright's house.
6. What happens to Mann when he gets to town?
7. What happens to Mann when the Heartfield family identifies him as the killer?
8. Why do Wright's co-workers at the optical factory not like him?
9. Why do Big Boy's friends not want to go to the swimming pool?
10. What job do the soldiers give Mann at the beginning of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) What are differences in the stories between how black people are violent and how white people are violent?
2) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)