|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jim's job?
(a) A factory owner
(b) A writer
(c) A journalist
(d) An army officer
2. Who plies their trade at the hotel Wright works at?
(a) White prostitutes
(d) Drug dealers
3. Where does Brinkley have to ferry people away from?
(a) The town hall
(b) The hospital
(c) The shopping mall
(d) The coal mine
4. Which member of the Heartfield family answers Brinkley's call?
(a) Mrs. Heartfield
(b) Mr. Heartfield
(c) The Heartfields' son
(d) The Heartfields' daughter
5. What was Wright's yard filled with?
(b) Wood chips
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to follow Lulu's body?
2. What does Mann ask Bob to sell?
3. Who is the first person Big Boys tells about what happened?
4. What does Wright's boss offer him in the back room?
5. What does Mann drink in the kitchen tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brother Bond say has happened to the Communists?
2. What does Sue see when she first gains consciousness?
3. What work do the black men do at the cement plant?
4. Describe the confrontation between Sue and the sheriff in Chapter 23.
5. How does the sheriff break Johnny's ear drum?
6. What happens to Wright when his boss tells him to deliver groceries to a white neighborhood after dark?
7. What problems does Mann have a the beginning of the chapter?
8. What does Taylor imagine having the strength to do in Chapter 19?
9. What does Johnny say he believes in in this chapter?
10. Describe Wright's work as a bellboy.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)