|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the van den Meers' household has been lost because of their debt?
2. Where does Clara end up getting all of her wealth from?
3. Who is the narrator of the Epilogue?
4. What signal does Marie de Medici give to the prince to tell him he should move on to other ladies while meeting everyone?
5. Why does Margarethe tell Iris that she is better off being ugly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margarethe suspect is so wrong with the prince that his aunt, the queen, has to set something like the ball up to help him find a wife?
2. How does the Master respond to Clara's vote of confidence at the ball, when she says that she is sure his painting will be picked by the queen?
3. Who is Caspar referring to when he initially tells Iris that she hopes she will not marry "the wrong man"?
4. What does Iris worry will happen to Clara if they are forced to leave the beautiful van den Meer home?
5. While at the ball, what do Iris and the Master decide is more permanent than beauty?
6. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth give for burning the painting?
7. As they are about to depart for the ball, how does Iris react when Clara promises not to take Caspar from her?
8. What reason does Ruth give for why she often appears inconsequential and stupid in the retelling of the story?
9. What causes the prince to be initially interested in Iris?
10. During their argument at the ball, how do Iris and the Master call a truce during their argument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paintings play a crucial role in Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Choose three paintings that are mentioned in the text and discuss 1) who and what they physically represent, 2) who and what they symbolically represent, and 3) how Maguire uses them to advance and influence the plot. For each painting, use at least one (and preferably two) citations from the text to support your physical description.
Essay Topic 2
One of the central themes of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the exploration of beauty. What is Maguire's definition and concept of beauty? What are society's definitions of beauty at the time the novel is taking place? Choose one character in the novel who is traditionally beautiful and discuss what makes him or her so; choose one character in the novel who is truly, but not traditionally, beautiful, and discuss what makes him or her so.
Essay Topic 3
Many things are in juxtaposition in the text. Pick three characters, themes, settings, or other examples of juxtapositioning and explain how Maguire sets up the juxtaposition, the role the juxtaposition plays within the story, and what message Maguire is trying to send through each contrast.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)