|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clara end up getting all of her wealth from?
2. Who does Iris and Ruth's hair for the ball?
3. What kind of head piece will Clara wear to the ball to disguise herself?
4. Who is Clarissa Santiago of Aragon at the ball?
5. How does Clara end up dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. While at the ball, what do Iris and the Master decide is more permanent than beauty?
2. Why is Iris surprised to learn that many of the guests at the ball are still talking about her, even after the prince and Clara retire to the private room?
3. How does Margarethe react when Iris catches her seemingly trying to burn Young Woman with Tulips at the ball?
4. What kind of perspective can Ruth offer about what happens to her family?
5. What reasoning does Clara use in explaining to Iris why her beauty is actually a curse?
6. What happens in the dream Iris has the night of the ball?
7. What does the trail of blood that follows Clara after the ball indicate?
8. How does the reader know Cornelius is depressed after his business venture fails?
9. What exactly does Margarethe believe happens to her eyes after she has seen the Master's horrible paintings?
10. What skill does Clara and Iris count on Caspar using when he goes in search of a dress for Iris for the big ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conventional wisdom dictates that children often end up like one of their parents. Using either Margarethe and Iris OR Henrika and Clara, compare and contrast how each girl grows up to be like and unlike her mother. Make sure to list at least three similarities and three differences, using evidence from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
While a seemingly small item at the beginning of the text, tulips become critically important by the end of the novel. Discuss what tulips symbolize in the text and how their symbolism changes as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 3
While one of the central themes of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the exploration of beauty, a smaller theme is that of ugliness. Choose three examples of ugliness (characters, actions, behavior, paintings, etc.) in the novel and discuss how Maguire uses each to convey a message about what ugliness truly is, how people convey it, and how people react to it.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)