|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first tries to lay claim to the mystery slipper?
2. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
3. What drink does a servant bring to Clara and Philippe when they are in a private room?
4. What does Iris wonder about the night her family fled without their father?
5. Who does the Master tell Iris he views as responsible for bringing van den Meer to ruin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margarethe suspect is so wrong with the prince that his aunt, the queen, has to set something like the ball up to help him find a wife?
2. What kind of perspective can Ruth offer about what happens to her family?
3. What key piece of information did Iris not understand about Margarethe's continued reference to the imp in their family?
4. What reasoning does Clara use in explaining to Iris why her beauty is actually a curse?
5. What memory does Ruth say burdened Iris her entire life?
6. What are two examples of juxtapositioned themes to her family's story that Ruth gives in the Epilogue?
7. What reason does Ruth give for why she often appears inconsequential and stupid in the retelling of the story?
8. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth give for burning the painting?
9. Why is Margarethe in such shock when Ruth speaks the word "Ashgirl" when referring to Clara?
10. While at the ball, what do Iris and the Master decide is more permanent than beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While one of the central themes of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the exploration of beauty, a smaller theme is that of ugliness. Choose three examples of ugliness (characters, actions, behavior, paintings, etc.) in the novel and discuss how Maguire uses each to convey a message about what ugliness truly is, how people convey it, and how people react to it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the windmill within Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Using quotations taken from the text, discuss at least three different aspects when the windmill appears, what its presence symbolizes, and how Maguire uses that symbolism to communicate indirectly to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Margarethe makes a point of telling Iris about the importance of knowing when to "jump." What does she mean by this? Choose three parts of the novel where Margarethe "jumps" and what happens as a result. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)