|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does a servant bring to Clara and Philippe when they are in a private room?
2. How much of the van den Meers' fortune was lost in Clara's kidnapping as a young child?
3. What does Philippe end up dying from?
4. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
5. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
Essay Topic 1
Margarethe makes a point of telling Iris about the importance of knowing when to "jump." What does she mean by this? Choose three parts of the novel where Margarethe "jumps" and what happens as a result. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the windmill within Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Using quotations taken from the text, discuss at least three different aspects when the windmill appears, what its presence symbolizes, and how Maguire uses that symbolism to communicate indirectly to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ruth burn the Young Woman with Tulips painting? What are her reasons behind such a momentous decision? What are the effects of that decision? Do you agree or disagree with what she did?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)