|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
2. In the Epilogue, Ruth claims that Iris was better at doing what than painting?
3. What does Clara confess, by her father's bedside, about why she felt such a connection with Ruth?
4. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth admit for acting dumb?
5. How does Clara get home from the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Caspar referring to when he initially tells Iris that she hopes she will not marry "the wrong man"?
2. In the Epilogue, what does Ruth surmise happened to the greedy van Stolk?
3. What does Iris worry will happen to Clara if they are forced to leave the beautiful van den Meer home?
4. During their dance at the ball, what does Iris worry about with regard to Caspar?
5. Why is Margarethe in such shock when Ruth speaks the word "Ashgirl" when referring to Clara?
6. How does Margarethe react when Iris catches her seemingly trying to burn Young Woman with Tulips at the ball?
7. What key piece of information did Iris not understand about Margarethe's continued reference to the imp in their family?
8. What does the trail of blood that follows Clara after the ball indicate?
9. What does Ruth have to say about beauty in the Epilogue?
10. What skill does Clara and Iris count on Caspar using when he goes in search of a dress for Iris for the big ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three passages from Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister that you consider to be the three most important. Analyze each passage for tone, diction, and any other literary devices that Maguire might use within them, such as foreshadowing or symbolism. What makes each scene one of the most important? How does Maguire convey the high level of importance of each passage? Which literary devices does Maguire use to structure and create each passage, and how would each scene be different without the use of one of those devices?
Essay Topic 2
Complete a character analysis of the Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies. What kind of character is she? How does her character change throughout the novel (or does it)? What role does she play in the text? What is the reader supposed to think of her? Does the reader's opinion of her change as the story progresses? Is she a "good" character, a "bad" character, or both? What literary tools does Maguire use to develop her character?
Essay Topic 3
Margarethe could easily be described as a selfish character based on her actions throughout the story. A counter argument can also be made, however, that she is a selfless character who continually acts out of a concern to improve the situations of those around her, often at her own expense, suffering, and unhappiness. Present an argument that Margarethe is in fact a selfless character, using at least three specific examples of her selfless actions from the novel.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)