|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the ball approaches, what does the reader learn about Margarethe's neighbors' opinion of her?
2. Who is the ball's guest of honor?
3. What does Clara yell at Nicolaes van Stolk as she departs her house en route to the ball?
4. What non-family member do Ruth, Iris, and Clara enlist in helping them get Clara to the ball?
5. Who is the first person Iris and Ruth find at the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message is the Master trying to convey when he asks, after showing Margarethe his paintings of hideous people, what she knows about charitable stories from the Bible?
2. What reason does Ruth give for why she often appears inconsequential and stupid in the retelling of the story?
3. What exactly does Margarethe believe happens to her eyes after she has seen the Master's horrible paintings?
4. During their argument at the ball, how do Iris and the Master call a truce during their argument?
5. What key piece of information did Iris not understand about Margarethe's continued reference to the imp in their family?
6. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth give for burning the painting?
7. What skill does Clara and Iris count on Caspar using when he goes in search of a dress for Iris for the big ball?
8. Why is Iris surprised to learn that many of the guests at the ball are still talking about her, even after the prince and Clara retire to the private room?
9. In the Epilogue, what does Ruth say about the paintings of Iris's that she admires?
10. How does Margarethe react when Iris catches her seemingly trying to burn Young Woman with Tulips at the ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the central themes of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the exploration of beauty. What is Maguire's definition and concept of beauty? What are society's definitions of beauty at the time the novel is taking place? Choose one character in the novel who is traditionally beautiful and discuss what makes him or her so; choose one character in the novel who is truly, but not traditionally, beautiful, and discuss what makes him or her so.
Essay Topic 2
Perhaps the most unique aspect of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the new point-of-view it provides on a classic fairy tale. Discuss 1) the role that point-of-view provides in a text, 2) what literary tools an author can use to manipulate a traditional point-of-view, and 3) what impact a new or unusual point-of-view can have on the reader. Make sure to cite specific examples and passages from Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
A respect for memory -- or the lack thereof -- is a defining characteristic of many of the novel's characters. Choose two characters from Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and compare and contrast, using specific examples, whether the characters have a respect for memory and learn from the past.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)