|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up taking care of Ruth in her old age?
2. How does Cornelius react to his grandchildren?
3. What happened to the Master's reputation after the ball?
4. How does Clara end up dying?
5. How did Marie de Medici lose her power?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Caspar referring to when he initially tells Iris that she hopes she will not marry "the wrong man"?
2. During their dance at the ball, what does Iris worry about with regard to Caspar?
3. What reasoning does Clara use in explaining to Iris why her beauty is actually a curse?
4. What does Margarethe suspect is so wrong with the prince that his aunt, the queen, has to set something like the ball up to help him find a wife?
5. How does the Master respond to Clara's vote of confidence at the ball, when she says that she is sure his painting will be picked by the queen?
6. During their argument at the ball, how do Iris and the Master call a truce during their argument?
7. What does the trail of blood that follows Clara after the ball indicate?
8. What reason does Ruth give for why she often appears inconsequential and stupid in the retelling of the story?
9. What skill does Clara and Iris count on Caspar using when he goes in search of a dress for Iris for the big ball?
10. How does the reader know Cornelius is depressed after his business venture fails?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fisher family comprises three very different women. Choose Margarethe, Ruth, or Iris and examine what role they play in the family, whether they are happy in the beginning and end of the text, and how their choices affect the rest of the women in the family unit. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
While a seemingly small item at the beginning of the text, tulips become critically important by the end of the novel. Discuss what tulips symbolize in the text and how their symbolism changes as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three passages from Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister that you consider to be the three most important. Analyze each passage for tone, diction, and any other literary devices that Maguire might use within them, such as foreshadowing or symbolism. What makes each scene one of the most important? How does Maguire convey the high level of importance of each passage? Which literary devices does Maguire use to structure and create each passage, and how would each scene be different without the use of one of those devices?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)