|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
2. Who does the Master tell Iris he views as responsible for bringing van den Meer to ruin?
3. As the ball approaches, what part of the van den Meer house does Clara often refuse to leave?
4. How does Cornelius react to his grandchildren?
5. How does Margarethe suggest Iris take care of the whole family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the dream Iris has the night of the ball?
2. What skill does Clara and Iris count on Caspar using when he goes in search of a dress for Iris for the big ball?
3. What message is the Master trying to convey when he asks, after showing Margarethe his paintings of hideous people, what she knows about charitable stories from the Bible?
4. Why is Margarethe in such shock when Ruth speaks the word "Ashgirl" when referring to Clara?
5. How does the reader know Cornelius is depressed after his business venture fails?
6. What does Iris worry will happen to Clara if they are forced to leave the beautiful van den Meer home?
7. During their argument at the ball, how do Iris and the Master call a truce during their argument?
8. What reasoning does Clara use in explaining to Iris why her beauty is actually a curse?
9. What does Margarethe suspect is so wrong with the prince that his aunt, the queen, has to set something like the ball up to help him find a wife?
10. What kind of perspective can Ruth offer about what happens to her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three passages from Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister that you consider to be the three most important. Analyze each passage for tone, diction, and any other literary devices that Maguire might use within them, such as foreshadowing or symbolism. What makes each scene one of the most important? How does Maguire convey the high level of importance of each passage? Which literary devices does Maguire use to structure and create each passage, and how would each scene be different without the use of one of those devices?
Essay Topic 2
The Fisher family comprises three very different women. Choose Margarethe, Ruth, or Iris and examine what role they play in the family, whether they are happy in the beginning and end of the text, and how their choices affect the rest of the women in the family unit. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Margarethe makes a point of telling Iris about the importance of knowing when to "jump." What does she mean by this? Choose three parts of the novel where Margarethe "jumps" and what happens as a result. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)