|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caspar accuse Ruth of doing at the ball?
2. Who does Iris end up marrying?
3. How does Ruth react when the Master says, at the ball, that he wishes Margarethe would have burned his painting?
4. Who warns Clara when van Stolk enters the ball?
5. How does Clara end up dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Master respond to Clara's vote of confidence at the ball, when she says that she is sure his painting will be picked by the queen?
2. How does Margarethe react when Iris catches her seemingly trying to burn Young Woman with Tulips at the ball?
3. What does Ruth have to say about beauty in the Epilogue?
4. What does Iris worry will happen to Clara if they are forced to leave the beautiful van den Meer home?
5. What reason does Ruth give for why she often appears inconsequential and stupid in the retelling of the story?
6. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth give for burning the painting?
7. What memory does Ruth say burdened Iris her entire life?
8. What does Margarethe suspect is so wrong with the prince that his aunt, the queen, has to set something like the ball up to help him find a wife?
9. During their dance at the ball, what does Iris worry about with regard to Caspar?
10. What reasoning does Clara use in explaining to Iris why her beauty is actually a curse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While a seemingly small item at the beginning of the text, tulips become critically important by the end of the novel. Discuss what tulips symbolize in the text and how their symbolism changes as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 2
The Fisher family comprises three very different women. Choose Margarethe, Ruth, or Iris and examine what role they play in the family, whether they are happy in the beginning and end of the text, and how their choices affect the rest of the women in the family unit. Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Paintings play a crucial role in Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Choose three paintings that are mentioned in the text and discuss 1) who and what they physically represent, 2) who and what they symbolically represent, and 3) how Maguire uses them to advance and influence the plot. For each painting, use at least one (and preferably two) citations from the text to support your physical description.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)