Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does a servant bring to Clara and Philippe when they are in a private room?
2. How much of the van den Meers' fortune was lost in Clara's kidnapping as a young child?
3. What does Philippe end up dying from?
4. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
5. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
Essay Topic 1
Iris, Ruth, and Clara all have very complicated childhoods. Examine what makes each child's experience growing up so complicated, what each girl had control of growing up, and what, if anything, could have been changed to make each of their childhoods more enjoyable for them.
Essay Topic 2
Conventional wisdom dictates that children often end up like one of their parents. Using either Margarethe and Iris OR Henrika and Clara, compare and contrast how each girl grows up to be like and unlike her mother. Make sure to list at least three similarities and three differences, using evidence from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps the most unique aspect of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the new point-of-view it provides on a classic fairy tale. Discuss 1) the role that point-of-view provides in a text, 2) what literary tools an author can use to manipulate a traditional point-of-view, and 3) what impact a new or unusual point-of-view can have on the reader. Make sure to cite specific examples and passages from Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister to support your thesis.
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)