|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
2. Right before the unveiling of the painting the Master created for van den Meer, what does Margarethe call Clara that sends Clara into a screaming rage?
3. Why do Clara and Iris decide to stop into the windmill while out ice skating?
4. Who is The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies?
5. When the Fishers first arrive in the marketplace, how are they treated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship does Margarethe imply that Caspar and the Master have in secret?
2. How does Heer van den Meer first present Iris to Clara?
3. What is Iris's relationship with her mother like in the beginning of the novel?
4. What is Iris's role to be at the van den Meers?
5. When Heer van den Meer first asks for Iris to come to his house and work for him, Iris wishes she could be an inanimate object. What does this symbolize?
6. How does Clara change after the incident at the windmill?
7. What painting does Heer van den Meer commission Schoonmaker to paint?
8. What kind of figure does Ruth become as she begins to get a little older?
9. While painting his famous painting of Clara, the Master says that he is "going to ruin" someone. Who does he mean?
10. When Cornelius discovers that Schoonmaker has not been invited to the wedding, what does he ask Iris to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the central themes of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the exploration of beauty. What is Maguire's definition and concept of beauty? What are society's definitions of beauty at the time the novel is taking place? Choose one character in the novel who is traditionally beautiful and discuss what makes him or her so; choose one character in the novel who is truly, but not traditionally, beautiful, and discuss what makes him or her so.
Essay Topic 2
Although they are small, there are multiple examples of foreshadowing present within the novel. Find three specific examples of foreshadowing and discuss what they are, what they symbolize, and what they foreshadow. Make sure to use specific citations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
While one of the central themes of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the exploration of beauty, a smaller theme is that of ugliness. Choose three examples of ugliness (characters, actions, behavior, paintings, etc.) in the novel and discuss how Maguire uses each to convey a message about what ugliness truly is, how people convey it, and how people react to it.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)