|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
(a) A letter.
(b) A toy windmill.
(c) A fancy silk handkerchief.
(d) A pastry.
2. Right before the unveiling of the painting the Master created for van den Meer, what does Margarethe call Clara that sends Clara into a screaming rage?
(a) A doll.
(b) A spoiled brat.
(c) A changeling.
3. What secret does Margarethe know about Henrika?
(a) That Henrika is having an affair.
(b) That Henrika is pregnant.
(c) That Clara isn't actually Mr. Van den Meer's son.
(d) That Henrika is hiding money.
4. Who is Clara?
(a) The ghost who lives in Schoonmaker's house.
(b) Caspar's sister.
(c) A street girl without a family.
(d) Van den Meer's beautiful young daughter.
5. What does Iris find most frustrating about her apprenticeship on the first day?
(a) That she cannot immediately draw well.
(b) That she is worse with a needle and thread than she originally thought.
(c) That she has no interest in a religious life after all.
(d) That she is far more advanced than the town baker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
2. Who is Luykas?
3. What toy is Ruth given after the commotion in the marketplace when the Fishers first arrive?
4. When Henrika is sick, what does Caspar give Ruth and Iris every morning when they come to visit him and the Master?
5. Why are the Master and Caspar invited over for dinner with the newly formed van den Meer family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the title of Chapter 2, "The Imp-Riddled House," mean?
2. What revelation does Iris have about her new step-father during his marriage ceremony?
3. What is Iris's role to be at the van den Meers?
4. When Cornelius discovers that Schoonmaker has not been invited to the wedding, what does he ask Iris to do?
5. How do the Fishers end up at the van den Meers' house?
6. How does Clara get the nickname of "Cinderella"?
7. What kind of figure does Ruth become as she begins to get a little older?
8. What does van den Meer's lost wealth mean for Margarethe's plan?
9. When Heer van den Meer first asks for Iris to come to his house and work for him, Iris wishes she could be an inanimate object. What does this symbolize?
10. While painting his famous painting of Clara, the Master says that he is "going to ruin" someone. Who does he mean?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)