|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Margarethe take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She sings all day to help him focus.
(b) She tends his garden.
(c) She cooks and cleans.
(d) She sews clothes for his shop.
2. What health problems does Henrika begin to develop in Chapter 2?
(a) She begins to lose her eyesight.
(b) She begins to go insane.
(c) She has such bad pains in her legs that she can't walk anymore.
(d) She begins to have a very difficult pregnancy.
3. What kind of mother is Henrika?
(c) Very loving.
4. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
(a) A toy windmill.
(b) A pastry.
(c) A letter.
(d) A fancy silk handkerchief.
5. What toy is Ruth given after the commotion in the marketplace when the Fishers first arrive?
(a) A bouncing ball.
(b) A toy windmill.
(c) A flute.
(d) A yo-yo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henrika die from?
2. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
3. Why does Clara become so upset when van den Meer tells Margarethe that the hutsepot she makes for Lent is the best he's ever had?
4. What does Iris find most frustrating about her apprenticeship on the first day?
5. Why are the Master and Caspar invited over for dinner with the newly formed van den Meer family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of tone does the Prologue have?
2. What goals is Marie de Medici trying to achieve through the ball?
3. What lesson does Margarethe want Iris to take away from their discussion about how everyone is trapped in their life by some circumstance?
4. How does Clara change after the incident at the windmill?
5. What is Iris's role to be at the van den Meers?
6. Why does Iris ask Margarethe specifically to teach her how to cook and prepare a meal?
7. What kind of figure does Ruth become as she begins to get a little older?
8. What new traits does Iris develop after Henrika's death?
9. What do tulips symbolize in the beginning of the novel?
10. What does the title of Chapter 2, "The Imp-Riddled House," mean?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)