|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Iris take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She stands outside holding an advertisement for his business.
(b) She scrubs the floors every other day.
(c) She sits so he can paint her.
(d) She makes her famous biscuits every morning.
2. When she first arrives, what services does Margarethe offer the townspeople in exchange for food and housing?
(d) Anything she can think of.
3. What illness is spreading around Haarlem?
(a) Some kind of unknown cancer.
(b) The flu.
(c) The plague.
(d) Some kind of contagious mental illness that makes people go insane.
4. How are Ruth and Iris related?
(a) Ruth is Iris's mom.
(b) Iris is Ruth's older sister.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) Ruth is Iris's older sister.
5. When they are young, what does Clara tell Iris is the only thing that makes her happy?
(a) Listening to her father play the piano.
(b) Being alone in her room.
(c) Spending time in her private garden.
(d) Learning English from Iris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city do the Fishers flee to?
2. Why is Iris worried about how Henrika and Margarethe interact?
3. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
4. When the book begins, from what country have the Fishers fled?
5. What kind of mother is Henrika?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Heer van den Meer first asks for Iris to come to his house and work for him, Iris wishes she could be an inanimate object. What does this symbolize?
2. What kind of figure does Ruth become as she begins to get a little older?
3. Once she has been at the van den Meer's household for a little while, how does Iris's relationship with Caspar begin to change?
4. Why does Iris ask Margarethe specifically to teach her how to cook and prepare a meal?
5. What goals is Marie de Medici trying to achieve through the ball?
6. Where does Henrika's wealth come from?
7. What does van den Meer's lost wealth mean for Margarethe's plan?
8. Why does Clara pout about attending the event where her painting is unveiled?
9. How does Clara change after the incident at the windmill?
10. What does the title of Chapter 3, "The Girl of Ashes," refer to?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)