|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After her mother's death, why is Clara forced to leave the house?
(a) To attend her mother's funeral.
(b) Because her father wants to flee with her in the middle of the night.
(c) Because Margarethe demands she do it.
(d) To go shopping in the marketplace.
2. What does the Master call Mr. van den Meer that crosses a line of acceptability?
(a) A hen-pecked husband.
(b) A fraud.
(c) A money-hungry lump.
(d) An adulterer.
3. What item is Iris given to work with on the first day of her apprenticeship?
(a) A piece of red silk.
(b) A seashell.
(c) A personalized bible.
(d) A pound of very stale flour.
4. Why do Clara and Iris decide to stop into the windmill while out ice skating?
(a) They are very thirsty and are looking for water.
(b) Iris needs to use a bathroom.
(c) Clara needs to use a bathroom.
(d) They are just tired and want to take a break.
5. What secret does Margarethe know about Henrika?
(a) That Henrika is pregnant.
(b) That Henrika is having an affair.
(c) That Clara isn't actually Mr. Van den Meer's son.
(d) That Henrika is hiding money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Rebekka?
2. What kind of visitors come to the van den Meers' house after Henrika's funeral?
3. Why is Clara upset about what Sinter Klaas left in her shoe?
4. What are Iris and Margarethe a little afraid Schoonmaker will ask Iris to do when they first start working together?
5. When Iris is sure Margarethe is going to punish her for trying to sneak Clara out, what does Iris receive instead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the title of Chapter 3, "The Girl of Ashes," refer to?
2. What is Iris's role to be at the van den Meers?
3. What kind of tone does the Prologue have?
4. What revelation does Iris have about her mother during her mother's marriage ceremony?
5. What is a changeling?
6. What new traits does Iris develop after Henrika's death?
7. How does Heer van den Meer first present Iris to Clara?
8. How does Clara change after the incident at the windmill?
9. What kind of relationship does Margarethe imply that Caspar and the Master have in secret?
10. Once she has been at the van den Meer's household for a little while, how does Iris's relationship with Caspar begin to change?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)