|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Master respond to the success of his painting of Clara?
(a) He starts being mean to everyone around him.
(b) He becomes incredibly wealthy.
(c) He is very proud and excited.
(d) He becomes depressed.
2. What does Schoonmaker prefer the Fishers call him?
3. How is Ruth initially described in the novel?
(a) As mentally impaired and hard to control.
(b) As shy and unable/unwilling to speak.
(c) As conscientious and unattractive.
(d) As beautiful and loving.
4. What kind of mother is Henrika?
(a) Very loving.
5. After the Master's painting is met with great success, what does he ask Margarethe?
(a) If she will teach him how to paint like they do in England.
(b) To adopt Ruth.
(c) If she will move back in with him.
(d) To adopt Iris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henrika die from?
2. Who is Schoonmaker?
3. Why is Iris worried about how Henrika and Margarethe interact?
4. What does Caspar promise Iris one morning while she is visiting him and the Master during her work for the van den Meers?
5. What argument does Margarethe use to convince van den Meer that he should marry her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clara initially react to her new stepmother's demands that she help with housework?
2. What leads to a shift of power in the marriage of van den Meer and his wife?
3. What does the reader learn about Ruth's character and personality by the end of Chapter 1?
4. What kind of figure does Ruth become as she begins to get a little older?
5. When Heer van den Meer first asks for Iris to come to his house and work for him, Iris wishes she could be an inanimate object. What does this symbolize?
6. When Cornelius discovers that Schoonmaker has not been invited to the wedding, what does he ask Iris to do?
7. What kind of tone does the Prologue have?
8. What new traits does Iris develop after Henrika's death?
9. How does Clara get the nickname of "Cinderella"?
10. What goals is Marie de Medici trying to achieve through the ball?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)