|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drink does a servant bring to Clara and Philippe when they are in a private room?
2. Who took over the Master's studio when he passed away?
(b) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
3. How do Ruth, Iris, and Margarethe get home from the ball?
(a) They have to walk.
(b) By carriage.
(c) They all pile onto one little horse.
(d) They steal someone else's carriage.
4. After she moves away, how often does Clara ask about Margarethe?
(a) Only once.
(c) Maybe once or twice a year, but not very often.
(d) All the time.
5. Why does Margarethe tell Iris that she is better off being ugly?
(a) Because she won't ever have to worry about getting married.
(b) Because she won't have to worry about people only liking her for her looks.
(c) Because her husband won't have to worry about her getting ugly since she already is.
(d) Because beauty does not help anyone in the world.
6. Who is the narrator of the Epilogue?
7. What does Iris tell Clara that changes her mind about attending the ball?
(a) That she needs to do something to help her father and her family's situation.
(b) That she needs to grow up.
(c) That she is strong, brave, and has a good heart.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
8. How do Ruth and Iris get to the ball?
(a) They have to walk.
(b) Caspar lends them a horse.
(c) In a private carriage.
(d) They share a bicycle.
9. Who does the Master tell Iris he views as responsible for bringing van den Meer to ruin?
10. In Chapter 4, what ailment does Margarethe claim to have gotten while visiting the Master and seeing his horrible paintings?
(a) A problem with her hearing.
(b) A heart murmur.
(c) A curse which only lets her have bad dreams.
(d) Some kind of eye infection.
11. What happened to the Gallery of God's Mistakes after the Master died?
(a) It was donated to a museum.
(b) It was passed down for generations.
(c) It was thrown into a bonfire.
(d) It was sold for a lot of money.
12. What key item did Clara leave behind at the ball?
(a) The key she always wears around her neck.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Her shoe.
13. How does Ruth react when the Master says, at the ball, that he wishes Margarethe would have burned his painting?
(a) She starts to cry.
(b) She stares coldly at him.
(c) She speaks for the first time in the novel.
(d) She spits involuntarily.
14. What kind of head piece will Clara wear to the ball to disguise herself?
(a) She is not going to disguise herself at all at the ball.
(b) A mask.
(c) A hooded cloak.
(d) A Spanish veil.
15. Who is the first person Iris and Ruth find at the ball?
Short Answer Questions
1. What signal does Marie de Medici give to the prince to tell him he should move on to other ladies while meeting everyone?
2. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
3. What advice does the narrator wish had been given to Clara?
4. How did Marie de Medici lose her power?
5. How is Clarissa of Aragaon's arrival met by the crowd?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)