|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
(a) Van den Meer's amazing library of unique books.
(c) The Young Woman with Tulips painting.
(d) The nice pots and pans in the kitchen.
2. What key item did Clara leave behind at the ball?
(a) Her shoe.
(b) The key she always wears around her neck.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) Her purse.
3. How do Ruth and Iris get to the ball?
(a) They share a bicycle.
(b) In a private carriage.
(c) Caspar lends them a horse.
(d) They have to walk.
4. After Margarethe's confession of her crime, where does Clara go?
(a) To live with the prince.
(b) To live with Caspar.
(c) To live with Schoonmaker.
(d) To live at the Pruyn's.
5. Who does Iris end up marrying?
(b) No one.
(d) The prince.
6. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth admit for acting dumb?
(a) She wasn't acting.
(b) She was jealous.
(c) She hated her mother and wanted to embarrass her.
(d) It was just easier sometimes, since she wouldn't have to do chores.
7. Who took over the Master's studio when he passed away?
(a) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
8. How does Iris describe Ruth as they are traveling to the ball?
(a) Strong and passionate.
(b) Stupid and ugly.
(c) Loud and rude.
(d) Cute and childlike.
9. Who warns Clara when van Stolk enters the ball?
10. How does Clara end up dying?
(a) From sadness.
(b) Margarethe finally gets her revenge and kills her.
(c) From a heart complaint.
(d) She kills herself.
11. What does Philippe end up dying from?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) Accidental poisoning.
12. Who does Ruth end up marrying?
(a) No one.
(d) The prince.
13. In Chapter 4, what ailment does Margarethe claim to have gotten while visiting the Master and seeing his horrible paintings?
(a) A heart murmur.
(b) Some kind of eye infection.
(c) A problem with her hearing.
(d) A curse which only lets her have bad dreams.
14. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
(a) The mess of a household that is now the Van den Meers.
(b) The nickname for the town's church.
(c) A secret gallery of paintings Schoonmaker has.
(d) The cruel name Margarethe has to refer to both of her children.
15. According to the Master, what is the reason behind Margarethe's lie about his relationship with Caspar?
(a) She always was in love with Caspar.
(b) Margarethe wanted Iris to marry someone better.
(c) She was blackmailing him for money for food.
(d) She always was in love with the Master.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iris and Ruth's hair for the ball?
2. What event causes the ball to end abruptly?
3. What ended up happening to Cornelius's finances?
4. Who does Clara end up marrying?
5. How does Margarethe suggest Iris take care of the whole family?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)