|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of the van den Meers' fortune was lost in Clara's kidnapping as a young child?
(c) Nothing; they got Clara back before a ransom was paid.
(d) Nearly everything.
2. How does Iris describe Ruth as they are traveling to the ball?
(a) Stupid and ugly.
(b) Cute and childlike.
(c) Strong and passionate.
(d) Loud and rude.
3. Why does Margarethe feel that Philippe de Marisllac will be interested in Iris?
(a) Because she has recently become very wealthy.
(b) Because they share a love of painting.
(c) Because she will be made beautiful for one night.
(d) Because she is dumb and ugly, so she won't be a threat to him.
4. What does Philippe end up dying from?
(a) A heart attack.
(c) Accidental poisoning.
5. Who unexpectedly arrives at the van den Meers' home the morning after the ball?
(a) Caspar and Philippe.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
6. Who first tries to lay claim to the mystery slipper?
7. How did Marie de Medici lose her power?
(a) She resigned it.
(b) She lost it when her husband died.
(c) Her own son overthrew her.
(d) She never had much power to begin with.
8. What does Clara suspect Ruth of doing to Margarethe's linen?
(a) Putting red pepper on it to make her eyes worse.
(b) Selling it for something cheaper and pocketing the money.
(c) Washing it more than necessary to make sure it's especially clean.
(d) Not washing it at all but claiming she did.
9. As the ball approaches and Clara becomes increasingly reclusive, what does Iris accuse her of becoming like?
(a) A priest.
(b) A domesticated animal.
(c) A house servant.
(d) A nun.
10. How do Margarethe, Ruth, and Iris plan on getting dresses for the ball?
(a) A tailor is making custom dresses for them.
(b) They are using Henrika's old dresses.
(c) They are sewing their own.
(d) They are making Clara sew all of their dresses and accessories.
11. Before heading to the ball, what do Iris and Clara agree about Caspar?
(a) That he is in love with Clara and they should get married.
(b) That he really is a jerk.
(c) That he is, in reality, a horrible painter despite all of his experience.
(d) That Clara will not try to take him from Iris.
12. Who does Iris end up marrying?
(b) The prince.
(c) No one.
13. How does Clara end up dying?
(a) Margarethe finally gets her revenge and kills her.
(b) From a heart complaint.
(c) She kills herself.
(d) From sadness.
14. When Margarethe refers to the imp in their family, to whom is she actually referring?
(a) An imp that only comes out at night.
15. Who took over the Master's studio when he passed away?
(d) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ruth and Iris get to the ball?
2. Who does Ruth end up marrying?
3. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
4. What does Margarethe think is increasing as her sight begins decreasing?
5. What color dress does Iris wear to the ball?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)