|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philippe end up dying from?
(b) A heart attack.
(c) Accidental poisoning.
2. What does Clara yell at Nicolaes van Stolk as she departs her house en route to the ball?
(a) "I will never love you."
(b) "Catch me if you can."
(c) "Wait for me, dear friend, until I return again."
(d) "It is the crow."
3. Why does Clara tell the queen she is hiding her face?
(a) Because she gets sunburned easily.
(b) Because she is Catholic.
(c) Because she is horribly disfigured.
(d) Because she is allergic to the flowers.
4. How does Margarethe suggest Iris take care of the whole family?
(a) By marrying the prince.
(b) By killing herself.
(c) By getting a good job as a cook.
(d) By marrying Caspar.
5. What do people spy Philippe doing to Clara when they are in a private room?
(a) Playing with her hair.
(b) Asking for her hand in marriage.
(c) Caressing her ankle with her shoe off.
(d) Kissing her neck.
6. How is Marie de Medici described physically?
(a) As old and overweight -- obese, even.
(b) As very smart and cunning.
(c) As both beautiful and exceptionally intelligent.
(d) As beautiful and unusually tall.
7. Who does the Master tell Iris he views as responsible for bringing van den Meer to ruin?
8. As the ball approaches, what part of the van den Meer house does Clara often refuse to leave?
(a) The tulip shed in the backyard.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) Her bedroom.
(d) Her father's bedside.
9. Who is Clarissa Santiago of Aragon at the ball?
(a) The daughter of the hosts.
(b) Clara in disguise.
(c) Margarethe's made-up name for Iris.
(d) The sister of the prince everyone wants to see.
10. How do Ruth and Iris get to the ball?
(a) They share a bicycle.
(b) In a private carriage.
(c) They have to walk.
(d) Caspar lends them a horse.
11. After she moves away, how often does Clara ask about Margarethe?
(a) Maybe once or twice a year, but not very often.
(b) Only once.
(c) All the time.
12. Who does Ruth end up marrying?
(b) No one.
(d) The prince.
13. Who insists on introducing Ruth and Iris to the prince?
(d) Dame Pruyn.
14. How much of the van den Meers' fortune was lost in Clara's kidnapping as a young child?
(b) Nearly everything.
(d) Nothing; they got Clara back before a ransom was paid.
15. When Margarethe refers to the imp in their family, to whom is she actually referring?
(a) An imp that only comes out at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Iris and Ruth find at the ball?
2. Who took over the Master's studio when he passed away?
3. Who is van Antum?
4. Who is van Stolk?
5. As the ball approaches and Clara becomes increasingly reclusive, what does Iris accuse her of becoming like?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)