|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Cornelius to become so depressed?
(a) His failing business venture.
(b) No one really knows for sure.
(c) An accident in the kitchen that left Clara horribly scarred.
(d) His unhappy marriage to Margarethe.
2. Who does Iris and Ruth's hair for the ball?
(b) They each do their own hair.
(c) A hairdresser.
3. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
4. What changes about Clara's dress after the ball?
(a) It suddenly becomes too small, almost choking her.
(b) It suddenly becomes too big.
(c) It somehow glows even more.
(d) It is in complete tatters.
5. Who took over the Master's studio when he passed away?
(c) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
6. What does Margarethe think is increasing as her sight begins decreasing?
(a) Her psychic abilities.
(b) Her sense of smell.
(c) Her sense of taste.
(d) Her insight.
7. What do Iris and Clara use as collateral in order to get Clara a gown?
(a) The last of their family fortune.
(b) Money Ruth has been secretly hiding away.
(c) Margarethe's fancy new shoes.
(d) Henrika's jewels.
8. What advice does the narrator wish had been given to Clara?
(a) That things usually work out for the best.
(b) That beauty eventually fades.
(c) That she shouldn't be so shy about her face.
(d) That the young should be careful.
9. As the ball approaches, what part of the van den Meer house does Clara often refuse to leave?
(a) Her bedroom.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The tulip shed in the backyard.
(d) Her father's bedside.
10. What piece of furniture does the queen complain about while at the ball?
(a) A stinky sofa.
(b) An ugly piano.
(c) A creaking dance floor.
(d) A wooden chair.
11. Where does Clara end up getting all of her wealth from?
(a) The revived tulip trade.
(b) Marrying the prince.
(c) Her inheritance, which Margarethe can't touch.
(d) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
12. What does Iris tell Clara that changes her mind about attending the ball?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) That she needs to grow up.
(c) That she needs to do something to help her father and her family's situation.
(d) That she is strong, brave, and has a good heart.
13. What event causes the ball to end abruptly?
(a) The prince declares he has proposed to someone.
(b) The party runs out of food.
(c) The queen falls asleep.
(d) A raging fire.
14. Who does Iris dance with first at the ball?
(b) Someone she doesn't know -- or like.
15. Who is the ball's guest of honor?
(a) Van den Meer.
(b) The mayor of Haarlem.
(c) The Master.
(d) Philippe de Marsillac.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
2. Who is the narrator of the Epilogue?
3. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
4. Who is van Antum?
5. What ended up happening to Cornelius's finances?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)