|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who insists on introducing Ruth and Iris to the prince?
(b) Dame Pruyn.
2. How does Ruth react when the Master says, at the ball, that he wishes Margarethe would have burned his painting?
(a) She stares coldly at him.
(b) She spits involuntarily.
(c) She starts to cry.
(d) She speaks for the first time in the novel.
3. Who is van Stolk?
(a) A man who paid off van den Meer's debts.
(b) A kindly neighbor who often stops over for dinner.
(c) Another apprentice of the Master's.
(d) A man both Clara and Iris have big crushes on.
4. What does Clara yell at Nicolaes van Stolk as she departs her house en route to the ball?
(a) "I will never love you."
(b) "Catch me if you can."
(c) "It is the crow."
(d) "Wait for me, dear friend, until I return again."
5. What drink does a servant bring to Clara and Philippe when they are in a private room?
6. What changes about Clara's dress after the ball?
(a) It somehow glows even more.
(b) It suddenly becomes too small, almost choking her.
(c) It suddenly becomes too big.
(d) It is in complete tatters.
7. What kind of head piece will Clara wear to the ball to disguise herself?
(a) She is not going to disguise herself at all at the ball.
(b) A mask.
(c) A Spanish veil.
(d) A hooded cloak.
8. What event causes the ball to end abruptly?
(a) A raging fire.
(b) The queen falls asleep.
(c) The prince declares he has proposed to someone.
(d) The party runs out of food.
9. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
(a) The Young Woman with Tulips painting.
(b) Van den Meer's amazing library of unique books.
(d) The nice pots and pans in the kitchen.
10. As the ball approaches, what does the reader learn about Margarethe's neighbors' opinion of her?
(a) That they admire her.
(b) That they think she is the most beautiful woman in all the land.
(c) That they scorn her and think very poorly of her choices.
(d) That they are jealous of her wealth.
11. After she moves away, how often does Clara ask about Margarethe?
(a) Maybe once or twice a year, but not very often.
(b) Only once.
(c) All the time.
12. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
(a) The cruel name Margarethe has to refer to both of her children.
(b) A secret gallery of paintings Schoonmaker has.
(c) The mess of a household that is now the Van den Meers.
(d) The nickname for the town's church.
13. What does Margarethe do to continually manipulate van Stolk and van Antum?
(a) She taunts them with glances and promises of Clara.
(b) She preys on their kindness by always asking for mercy -- and money.
(c) She pretends she is wealthier than she is.
(d) She flirts with them herself, since she knows they have crushes on her.
14. Who does Clara end up marrying?
(a) The prince.
(c) No one.
15. As the ball approaches and Clara becomes increasingly reclusive, what does Iris accuse her of becoming like?
(a) A house servant.
(b) A domesticated animal.
(c) A priest.
(d) A nun.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what ailment does Margarethe claim to have gotten while visiting the Master and seeing his horrible paintings?
2. Why does Clara tell the queen she is hiding her face?
3. What does Clara suspect Ruth of doing to Margarethe's linen?
4. What does Margarethe think is increasing as her sight begins decreasing?
5. What color dress does Clara wear to the ball?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)