|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margarethe do to continually manipulate van Stolk and van Antum?
(a) She pretends she is wealthier than she is.
(b) She flirts with them herself, since she knows they have crushes on her.
(c) She taunts them with glances and promises of Clara.
(d) She preys on their kindness by always asking for mercy -- and money.
2. What non-family member do Ruth, Iris, and Clara enlist in helping them get Clara to the ball?
(a) The Master.
(b) Clara's father.
(d) Van Stolk.
3. As the ball approaches, what does the reader learn about Margarethe's neighbors' opinion of her?
(a) That they are jealous of her wealth.
(b) That they admire her.
(c) That they scorn her and think very poorly of her choices.
(d) That they think she is the most beautiful woman in all the land.
4. In the Epilogue, Ruth claims that Iris was better at doing what than painting?
5. What key item did Iris leave behind at the ball?
(a) Her shoe.
(b) Her purse.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) The key she always wears around her neck.
6. Who was Jack Fisher?
(a) Ruth's father.
(b) Iris's father.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Margarethe's first husband.
7. Who does Ruth suspect of kidnapping Clara as a child?
(a) Her own father.
(b) Van Stolk.
8. What does Clara confess, by her father's bedside, about why she felt such a connection with Ruth?
(a) Clara thinks Ruth is a changeling, too.
(b) Ruth's illness makes Clara feel even more beautiful than she already does.
(c) Ruth has been teaching her in secret to read and write.
(d) Ruth can actually talk but only does so to Clara.
9. Who ends up taking care of Ruth in her old age?
10. As the ball approaches, what part of the van den Meer house does Clara often refuse to leave?
(a) Her bedroom.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The tulip shed in the backyard.
(d) Her father's bedside.
11. What happened to the Gallery of God's Mistakes after the Master died?
(a) It was thrown into a bonfire.
(b) It was sold for a lot of money.
(c) It was passed down for generations.
(d) It was donated to a museum.
12. How does Cornelius react to his grandchildren?
(a) With love.
(b) He doesn't react -- he completely ignores them.
(c) With displeasure.
(d) With suspicion.
13. What does Clara suspect Ruth of doing to Margarethe's linen?
(a) Not washing it at all but claiming she did.
(b) Washing it more than necessary to make sure it's especially clean.
(c) Putting red pepper on it to make her eyes worse.
(d) Selling it for something cheaper and pocketing the money.
14. Who insists on introducing Ruth and Iris to the prince?
(a) Dame Pruyn.
15. What do people spy Philippe doing to Clara when they are in a private room?
(a) Asking for her hand in marriage.
(b) Playing with her hair.
(c) Kissing her neck.
(d) Caressing her ankle with her shoe off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does the narrator wish had been given to Clara?
2. According to the Master, what is the reason behind Margarethe's lie about his relationship with Caspar?
3. Where does Clara end up getting all of her wealth from?
4. How do Ruth and Iris get to the ball?
5. What event causes the ball to end abruptly?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)