|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
(a) Beautiful dresses for them to try to choose from.
(b) The smell of incense.
(c) Tulips in vases.
(d) The finest perfumes available in town.
2. What do people spy Philippe doing to Clara when they are in a private room?
(a) Playing with her hair.
(b) Kissing her neck.
(c) Caressing her ankle with her shoe off.
(d) Asking for her hand in marriage.
3. What advice does the narrator wish had been given to Clara?
(a) That things usually work out for the best.
(b) That she shouldn't be so shy about her face.
(c) That beauty eventually fades.
(d) That the young should be careful.
4. When Margarethe refers to the imp in their family, to whom is she actually referring?
(b) An imp that only comes out at night.
5. What signal does Marie de Medici give to the prince to tell him he should move on to other ladies while meeting everyone?
(a) A slight cough.
(b) A little handwritten note.
(c) A kick under the table.
(d) A poke in the side.
6. What does Iris wonder about the night her family fled without their father?
(a) If he organized the mob.
(b) If he staged the event to try to murder Margarethe.
(c) If he was really dead before they left.
(d) If he was warned in advance.
7. Who does Ruth suspect of kidnapping Clara as a child?
(a) Van Stolk.
(d) Her own father.
8. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
(a) The mess of a household that is now the Van den Meers.
(b) The cruel name Margarethe has to refer to both of her children.
(c) A secret gallery of paintings Schoonmaker has.
(d) The nickname for the town's church.
9. Who is the narrator of the Epilogue?
10. Who is van Stolk?
(a) Another apprentice of the Master's.
(b) A man both Clara and Iris have big crushes on.
(c) A kindly neighbor who often stops over for dinner.
(d) A man who paid off van den Meer's debts.
11. As the ball approaches and Clara becomes increasingly reclusive, what does Iris accuse her of becoming like?
(a) A nun.
(b) A priest.
(c) A domesticated animal.
(d) A house servant.
12. Who took over the Master's studio when he passed away?
(b) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
13. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
(a) It never recovers.
(b) It is regulated and becomes more reliable.
(c) It becomes a national embarrassment.
(d) It skyrockets again, giving Ruth a lot of money.
14. According to the Master, what is the reason behind Margarethe's lie about his relationship with Caspar?
(a) She was blackmailing him for money for food.
(b) She always was in love with Caspar.
(c) She always was in love with the Master.
(d) Margarethe wanted Iris to marry someone better.
15. Who does Clara end up marrying?
(b) No one.
(c) The prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
2. What confession of Margarethe's did Ruth overhear one night?
3. As the ball approaches and Margarethe is tight for money, why does she claim the Master owes her money?
4. What does Clara suspect Ruth of doing to Margarethe's linen?
5. After she moves away, how often does Clara ask about Margarethe?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)