|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clara get home from the ball?
(a) With Caspar, on his large white horse.
(b) Schoonmaker walks her home.
(c) With the help of the Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
(d) The prince sends her home in his private carriage.
2. How do Ruth and Iris get to the ball?
(a) They have to walk.
(b) Caspar lends them a horse.
(c) They share a bicycle.
(d) In a private carriage.
3. How much of the van den Meers' fortune was lost in Clara's kidnapping as a young child?
(b) Nearly everything.
(c) Nothing; they got Clara back before a ransom was paid.
4. How is Clarissa of Aragaon's arrival met by the crowd?
(a) With shouts of excitement.
(b) With no fanfare at all.
(c) With anger.
(d) With awe.
5. How do Margarethe, Ruth, and Iris plan on getting dresses for the ball?
(a) A tailor is making custom dresses for them.
(b) They are sewing their own.
(c) They are using Henrika's old dresses.
(d) They are making Clara sew all of their dresses and accessories.
6. What do Iris and Clara use as collateral in order to get Clara a gown?
(a) Money Ruth has been secretly hiding away.
(b) The last of their family fortune.
(c) Margarethe's fancy new shoes.
(d) Henrika's jewels.
7. Before heading to the ball, what do Iris and Clara agree about Caspar?
(a) That Clara will not try to take him from Iris.
(b) That he is in love with Clara and they should get married.
(c) That he is, in reality, a horrible painter despite all of his experience.
(d) That he really is a jerk.
8. After she moves away, how often does Clara ask about Margarethe?
(a) Maybe once or twice a year, but not very often.
(c) Only once.
(d) All the time.
9. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
(a) Beautiful dresses for them to try to choose from.
(b) Tulips in vases.
(c) The smell of incense.
(d) The finest perfumes available in town.
10. How do Ruth, Iris, and Margarethe get home from the ball?
(a) They all pile onto one little horse.
(b) By carriage.
(c) They have to walk.
(d) They steal someone else's carriage.
11. What advice does the narrator wish had been given to Clara?
(a) That the young should be careful.
(b) That beauty eventually fades.
(c) That things usually work out for the best.
(d) That she shouldn't be so shy about her face.
12. What do people spy Philippe doing to Clara when they are in a private room?
(a) Playing with her hair.
(b) Asking for her hand in marriage.
(c) Kissing her neck.
(d) Caressing her ankle with her shoe off.
13. Who insists on introducing Ruth and Iris to the prince?
(a) Dame Pruyn.
14. Who does Ruth end up marrying?
(b) The prince.
(d) No one.
15. Who unexpectedly arrives at the van den Meers' home the morning after the ball?
(b) Caspar and Philippe.
(d) None of these answers is correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what ailment does Margarethe claim to have gotten while visiting the Master and seeing his horrible paintings?
2. What happened to the Master's reputation after the ball?
3. What does Iris wonder about the night her family fled without their father?
4. What key item did Clara leave behind at the ball?
5. Who is van Stolk?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)