|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unexpectedly arrives at the van den Meers' home the morning after the ball?
(a) Caspar and Philippe.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
2. In the Epilogue, Ruth claims that Iris was better at doing what than painting?
3. Who insists on introducing Ruth and Iris to the prince?
(c) Dame Pruyn.
4. How much of the van den Meers' household has been lost because of their debt?
(a) Nearly everything they own except for one bed everyone shares.
(b) Half of their furniture and all of Henrika's possessions.
(c) Nothing. Margarethe refuses to allow anyone to take anything.
(d) Only one bedroom of furniture and one closet of clothes.
5. Why does Margarethe feel that Philippe de Marisllac will be interested in Iris?
(a) Because they share a love of painting.
(b) Because she is dumb and ugly, so she won't be a threat to him.
(c) Because she will be made beautiful for one night.
(d) Because she has recently become very wealthy.
6. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
(a) A secret gallery of paintings Schoonmaker has.
(b) The nickname for the town's church.
(c) The cruel name Margarethe has to refer to both of her children.
(d) The mess of a household that is now the Van den Meers.
7. Who took over the Master's studio when he passed away?
(c) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
8. What does Caspar accuse Ruth of doing at the ball?
(a) Having way too much to drink.
(b) Sabotaging Iris's chance with the prince.
(c) Starting a fire.
(d) Sabotaging Clara's chance with the prince.
9. What does Margarethe do to continually manipulate van Stolk and van Antum?
(a) She taunts them with glances and promises of Clara.
(b) She flirts with them herself, since she knows they have crushes on her.
(c) She preys on their kindness by always asking for mercy -- and money.
(d) She pretends she is wealthier than she is.
10. What does Margarethe think is increasing as her sight begins decreasing?
(a) Her psychic abilities.
(b) Her sense of taste.
(c) Her sense of smell.
(d) Her insight.
11. How do Ruth, Iris, and Margarethe get home from the ball?
(a) They steal someone else's carriage.
(b) They have to walk.
(c) By carriage.
(d) They all pile onto one little horse.
12. What does Clara suspect Ruth of doing to Margarethe's linen?
(a) Washing it more than necessary to make sure it's especially clean.
(b) Not washing it at all but claiming she did.
(c) Putting red pepper on it to make her eyes worse.
(d) Selling it for something cheaper and pocketing the money.
13. According to the Master, what is the reason behind Margarethe's lie about his relationship with Caspar?
(a) She always was in love with the Master.
(b) She was blackmailing him for money for food.
(c) She always was in love with Caspar.
(d) Margarethe wanted Iris to marry someone better.
14. How does Clara end up dying?
(a) Margarethe finally gets her revenge and kills her.
(b) From a heart complaint.
(c) She kills herself.
(d) From sadness.
15. Who does Ruth end up marrying?
(b) The prince.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is van Antum?
2. What event causes the ball to end abruptly?
3. What happens to Margarethe after the ball?
4. What happened to the Gallery of God's Mistakes after the Master died?
5. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)