|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
(a) The mess of a household that is now the Van den Meers.
(b) The cruel name Margarethe has to refer to both of her children.
(c) The nickname for the town's church.
(d) A secret gallery of paintings Schoonmaker has.
2. What confession of Margarethe's did Ruth overhear one night?
(a) That she murdered Henrika.
(b) The she had hidden money she never let anyone use.
(c) That Clara was, in fact, her real daughter.
(d) That she never loved her children.
3. How do Margarethe, Ruth, and Iris plan on getting dresses for the ball?
(a) They are using Henrika's old dresses.
(b) They are sewing their own.
(c) A tailor is making custom dresses for them.
(d) They are making Clara sew all of their dresses and accessories.
4. How many children does Clara end up having?
5. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth admit for acting dumb?
(a) It was just easier sometimes, since she wouldn't have to do chores.
(b) She was jealous.
(c) She wasn't acting.
(d) She hated her mother and wanted to embarrass her.
6. What drink does a servant bring to Clara and Philippe when they are in a private room?
7. After she moves away, how often does Clara ask about Margarethe?
(a) Maybe once or twice a year, but not very often.
(b) All the time.
(c) Only once.
8. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
9. What do people spy Philippe doing to Clara when they are in a private room?
(a) Kissing her neck.
(b) Asking for her hand in marriage.
(c) Caressing her ankle with her shoe off.
(d) Playing with her hair.
10. Who insists on introducing Ruth and Iris to the prince?
(c) Dame Pruyn.
11. Who is the ball's guest of honor?
(a) Philippe de Marsillac.
(b) The mayor of Haarlem.
(c) The Master.
(d) Van den Meer.
12. As the ball approaches, what part of the van den Meer house does Clara often refuse to leave?
(a) Her bedroom.
(b) Her father's bedside.
(c) The tulip shed in the backyard.
(d) The kitchen.
13. Who unexpectedly arrives at the van den Meers' home the morning after the ball?
(c) Caspar and Philippe.
(d) None of these answers is correct.
14. What color dress does Clara wear to the ball?
15. What does Margarethe think is increasing as her sight begins decreasing?
(a) Her sense of smell.
(b) Her psychic abilities.
(c) Her sense of taste.
(d) Her insight.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the ball approaches and Margarethe is tight for money, why does she claim the Master owes her money?
2. In Chapter 4, what ailment does Margarethe claim to have gotten while visiting the Master and seeing his horrible paintings?
3. Why does Margarethe feel that Philippe de Marisllac will be interested in Iris?
4. Who is Clarissa Santiago of Aragon at the ball?
5. Who does Iris end up marrying?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)