|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cornelius react to his grandchildren?
(a) With displeasure.
(b) With suspicion.
(c) With love.
(d) He doesn't react -- he completely ignores them.
2. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth admit for acting dumb?
(a) She was jealous.
(b) She hated her mother and wanted to embarrass her.
(c) She wasn't acting.
(d) It was just easier sometimes, since she wouldn't have to do chores.
3. What non-family member do Ruth, Iris, and Clara enlist in helping them get Clara to the ball?
(a) The Master.
(b) Van Stolk.
(d) Clara's father.
4. As the ball approaches and Clara becomes increasingly reclusive, what does Iris accuse her of becoming like?
(a) A priest.
(b) A domesticated animal.
(c) A house servant.
(d) A nun.
5. How do Ruth and Iris get to the ball?
(a) They have to walk.
(b) They share a bicycle.
(c) Caspar lends them a horse.
(d) In a private carriage.
6. Why does Clara tell the queen she is hiding her face?
(a) Because she is horribly disfigured.
(b) Because she is allergic to the flowers.
(c) Because she gets sunburned easily.
(d) Because she is Catholic.
7. What does Clara suspect Ruth of doing to Margarethe's linen?
(a) Putting red pepper on it to make her eyes worse.
(b) Selling it for something cheaper and pocketing the money.
(c) Washing it more than necessary to make sure it's especially clean.
(d) Not washing it at all but claiming she did.
8. Who is the narrator of the Epilogue?
9. Who does the Master tell Iris he views as responsible for bringing van den Meer to ruin?
10. Why does Clara decline at first to dance with the prince?
(a) She lies about having a turned ankle.
(b) She doesn't know how to dance.
(c) She only has one shoe on.
(d) She wants to give Iris a chance first.
11. What changes about Clara's dress after the ball?
(a) It is in complete tatters.
(b) It suddenly becomes too big.
(c) It somehow glows even more.
(d) It suddenly becomes too small, almost choking her.
12. Who is van Antum?
(a) A fellow investor of van den Meer's.
(b) A priest.
(c) A tailor.
(d) A creditor of van den Meer's who wants his money as soon as possible.
13. Why does Margarethe tell Iris that she is better off being ugly?
(a) Because she won't ever have to worry about getting married.
(b) Because she won't have to worry about people only liking her for her looks.
(c) Because beauty does not help anyone in the world.
(d) Because her husband won't have to worry about her getting ugly since she already is.
14. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
(a) The smell of incense.
(b) The finest perfumes available in town.
(c) Beautiful dresses for them to try to choose from.
(d) Tulips in vases.
15. As the ball approaches and Margarethe is tight for money, why does she claim the Master owes her money?
(a) Because he has lots of money now and she has very little.
(b) Because she and Iris helped him land the Young Girl with Tulips painting.
(c) Because he never paid her enough when she was working for him.
(d) Because she knows he has been secretly stealing from the Van den Meers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is van Stolk?
2. Who is Clarissa Santiago of Aragon at the ball?
3. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
4. Who does Iris dance with first at the ball?
5. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)