|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Ruth and Iris get to the ball?
(a) They share a bicycle.
(b) They have to walk.
(c) In a private carriage.
(d) Caspar lends them a horse.
2. How does Clara get home from the ball?
(a) The prince sends her home in his private carriage.
(b) Schoonmaker walks her home.
(c) With Caspar, on his large white horse.
(d) With the help of the Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
3. What happens to Margarethe after the ball?
(a) She is still alive but blind.
(b) She runs away, so no one is really sure.
(c) She goes insane.
(d) She kills herself.
4. Who does Ruth suspect of kidnapping Clara as a child?
(b) Her own father.
(c) Van Stolk.
5. Why does Margarethe tell Iris that she is better off being ugly?
(a) Because she won't have to worry about people only liking her for her looks.
(b) Because she won't ever have to worry about getting married.
(c) Because her husband won't have to worry about her getting ugly since she already is.
(d) Because beauty does not help anyone in the world.
6. As the ball approaches, what does the reader learn about Margarethe's neighbors' opinion of her?
(a) That they think she is the most beautiful woman in all the land.
(b) That they are jealous of her wealth.
(c) That they scorn her and think very poorly of her choices.
(d) That they admire her.
7. How did Marie de Medici lose her power?
(a) She never had much power to begin with.
(b) She lost it when her husband died.
(c) She resigned it.
(d) Her own son overthrew her.
8. Who took over the Master's studio when he passed away?
(a) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
9. Who does Clara end up marrying?
(a) The prince.
(b) No one.
10. Why does Margarethe feel that Philippe de Marisllac will be interested in Iris?
(a) Because they share a love of painting.
(b) Because she has recently become very wealthy.
(c) Because she is dumb and ugly, so she won't be a threat to him.
(d) Because she will be made beautiful for one night.
11. How does Margarethe suggest Iris take care of the whole family?
(a) By marrying Caspar.
(b) By getting a good job as a cook.
(c) By killing herself.
(d) By marrying the prince.
12. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
(a) The smell of incense.
(b) The finest perfumes available in town.
(c) Beautiful dresses for them to try to choose from.
(d) Tulips in vases.
13. Who first tries to lay claim to the mystery slipper?
14. What piece of furniture does the queen complain about while at the ball?
(a) A creaking dance floor.
(b) A wooden chair.
(c) A stinky sofa.
(d) An ugly piano.
15. Who does Iris dance with first at the ball?
(c) Someone she doesn't know -- or like.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the Epilogue?
2. As the ball approaches, what part of the van den Meer house does Clara often refuse to leave?
3. What family scene does Ruth think would have made a good painting?
4. Who is Clarissa Santiago of Aragon at the ball?
5. What color dress does Clara wear to the ball?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)