|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After she moves away, how often does Clara ask about Margarethe?
(a) Only once.
(b) All the time.
(d) Maybe once or twice a year, but not very often.
2. What does Margarethe think is increasing as her sight begins decreasing?
(a) Her sense of taste.
(b) Her psychic abilities.
(c) Her insight.
(d) Her sense of smell.
3. What piece of furniture does the queen complain about while at the ball?
(a) An ugly piano.
(b) A wooden chair.
(c) A stinky sofa.
(d) A creaking dance floor.
4. In the Epilogue, Ruth claims that Iris was better at doing what than painting?
5. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
(a) It never recovers.
(b) It skyrockets again, giving Ruth a lot of money.
(c) It is regulated and becomes more reliable.
(d) It becomes a national embarrassment.
6. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
7. What happened to the Master's reputation after the ball?
(a) It skyrocketed.
(b) It was unaffected.
(c) It diminished.
(d) It ebbed and flowed.
8. What profession did Iris end up going into?
9. Who is Clarissa Santiago of Aragon at the ball?
(a) Clara in disguise.
(b) The daughter of the hosts.
(c) The sister of the prince everyone wants to see.
(d) Margarethe's made-up name for Iris.
10. As the ball approaches and Clara becomes increasingly reclusive, what does Iris accuse her of becoming like?
(a) A house servant.
(b) A nun.
(c) A domesticated animal.
(d) A priest.
11. What does Clara yell at Nicolaes van Stolk as she departs her house en route to the ball?
(a) "Catch me if you can."
(b) "I will never love you."
(c) "Wait for me, dear friend, until I return again."
(d) "It is the crow."
12. Who was Jack Fisher?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Margarethe's first husband.
(c) Ruth's father.
(d) Iris's father.
13. As the ball approaches, what does the reader learn about Margarethe's neighbors' opinion of her?
(a) That they scorn her and think very poorly of her choices.
(b) That they think she is the most beautiful woman in all the land.
(c) That they are jealous of her wealth.
(d) That they admire her.
14. How does Margarethe suggest Iris take care of the whole family?
(a) By marrying Caspar.
(b) By killing herself.
(c) By marrying the prince.
(d) By getting a good job as a cook.
15. What causes Cornelius to become so depressed?
(a) An accident in the kitchen that left Clara horribly scarred.
(b) His unhappy marriage to Margarethe.
(c) His failing business venture.
(d) No one really knows for sure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
2. Who ends up taking care of Ruth in her old age?
3. What changes about Clara's dress after the ball?
4. Who is van Antum?
5. According to the Master, what is the reason behind Margarethe's lie about his relationship with Caspar?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)