|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who insists on introducing Ruth and Iris to the prince?
(b) Dame Pruyn.
2. How does Ruth react when the Master says, at the ball, that he wishes Margarethe would have burned his painting?
(a) She stares coldly at him.
(b) She starts to cry.
(c) She spits involuntarily.
(d) She speaks for the first time in the novel.
3. Who does Clara end up marrying?
(b) No one.
(d) The prince.
4. Who warns Clara when van Stolk enters the ball?
5. What causes Cornelius to become so depressed?
(a) His failing business venture.
(b) His unhappy marriage to Margarethe.
(c) An accident in the kitchen that left Clara horribly scarred.
(d) No one really knows for sure.
6. Before heading to the ball, what do Iris and Clara agree about Caspar?
(a) That he is, in reality, a horrible painter despite all of his experience.
(b) That he really is a jerk.
(c) That he is in love with Clara and they should get married.
(d) That Clara will not try to take him from Iris.
7. Where does Clara end up getting all of her wealth from?
(a) Marrying the prince.
(b) Her inheritance, which Margarethe can't touch.
(c) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
(d) The revived tulip trade.
8. What signal does Marie de Medici give to the prince to tell him he should move on to other ladies while meeting everyone?
(a) A poke in the side.
(b) A slight cough.
(c) A kick under the table.
(d) A little handwritten note.
9. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
(b) The nice pots and pans in the kitchen.
(c) The Young Woman with Tulips painting.
(d) Van den Meer's amazing library of unique books.
10. After Margarethe's confession of her crime, where does Clara go?
(a) To live with Schoonmaker.
(b) To live with Caspar.
(c) To live at the Pruyn's.
(d) To live with the prince.
11. What does Caspar accuse Ruth of doing at the ball?
(a) Sabotaging Clara's chance with the prince.
(b) Starting a fire.
(c) Having way too much to drink.
(d) Sabotaging Iris's chance with the prince.
12. Who is Clarissa Santiago of Aragon at the ball?
(a) Clara in disguise.
(b) The daughter of the hosts.
(c) Margarethe's made-up name for Iris.
(d) The sister of the prince everyone wants to see.
13. As the ball approaches and Clara becomes increasingly reclusive, what does Iris accuse her of becoming like?
(a) A nun.
(b) A priest.
(c) A house servant.
(d) A domesticated animal.
14. What does Clara confess, by her father's bedside, about why she felt such a connection with Ruth?
(a) Ruth can actually talk but only does so to Clara.
(b) Ruth's illness makes Clara feel even more beautiful than she already does.
(c) Clara thinks Ruth is a changeling, too.
(d) Ruth has been teaching her in secret to read and write.
15. Who is the narrator of the Epilogue?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Iris and Clara use as collateral in order to get Clara a gown?
2. What family scene does Ruth think would have made a good painting?
3. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
4. In Chapter 4, what ailment does Margarethe claim to have gotten while visiting the Master and seeing his horrible paintings?
5. Who was Jack Fisher?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)