|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Clara decline at first to dance with the prince?
(a) She wants to give Iris a chance first.
(b) She only has one shoe on.
(c) She lies about having a turned ankle.
(d) She doesn't know how to dance.
2. What confession of Margarethe's did Ruth overhear one night?
(a) The she had hidden money she never let anyone use.
(b) That Clara was, in fact, her real daughter.
(c) That she murdered Henrika.
(d) That she never loved her children.
3. How does Cornelius react to his grandchildren?
(a) With suspicion.
(b) With love.
(c) With displeasure.
(d) He doesn't react -- he completely ignores them.
4. Where does Clara end up getting all of her wealth from?
(a) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
(b) The revived tulip trade.
(c) Her inheritance, which Margarethe can't touch.
(d) Marrying the prince.
5. After she moves away, how often does Clara ask about Margarethe?
(a) All the time.
(b) Maybe once or twice a year, but not very often.
(d) Only once.
6. Who is Clarissa Santiago of Aragon at the ball?
(a) Margarethe's made-up name for Iris.
(b) The sister of the prince everyone wants to see.
(c) The daughter of the hosts.
(d) Clara in disguise.
7. Why does Clara tell the queen she is hiding her face?
(a) Because she gets sunburned easily.
(b) Because she is horribly disfigured.
(c) Because she is Catholic.
(d) Because she is allergic to the flowers.
8. When Margarethe refers to the imp in their family, to whom is she actually referring?
(c) An imp that only comes out at night.
9. What changes about Clara's dress after the ball?
(a) It suddenly becomes too small, almost choking her.
(b) It suddenly becomes too big.
(c) It somehow glows even more.
(d) It is in complete tatters.
10. What piece of furniture does the queen complain about while at the ball?
(a) A creaking dance floor.
(b) An ugly piano.
(c) A stinky sofa.
(d) A wooden chair.
11. What non-family member do Ruth, Iris, and Clara enlist in helping them get Clara to the ball?
(a) The Master.
(b) Clara's father.
(d) Van Stolk.
12. According to the Master, what is the reason behind Margarethe's lie about his relationship with Caspar?
(a) Margarethe wanted Iris to marry someone better.
(b) She always was in love with Caspar.
(c) She was blackmailing him for money for food.
(d) She always was in love with the Master.
13. Before heading to the ball, what do Iris and Clara agree about Caspar?
(a) That he really is a jerk.
(b) That he is in love with Clara and they should get married.
(c) That Clara will not try to take him from Iris.
(d) That he is, in reality, a horrible painter despite all of his experience.
14. How does Clara get home from the ball?
(a) With the help of the Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
(b) With Caspar, on his large white horse.
(c) Schoonmaker walks her home.
(d) The prince sends her home in his private carriage.
15. What happened to the Master's reputation after the ball?
(a) It ebbed and flowed.
(b) It skyrocketed.
(c) It was unaffected.
(d) It diminished.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what ailment does Margarethe claim to have gotten while visiting the Master and seeing his horrible paintings?
2. Who was Jack Fisher?
3. Who does Iris end up marrying?
4. What kind of life does Ruth claim Iris led?
5. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)