|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person Iris and Ruth find at the ball?
2. What does Clara confess, by her father's bedside, about why she felt such a connection with Ruth?
(a) Clara thinks Ruth is a changeling, too.
(b) Ruth can actually talk but only does so to Clara.
(c) Ruth has been teaching her in secret to read and write.
(d) Ruth's illness makes Clara feel even more beautiful than she already does.
3. Who does Iris end up marrying?
(a) No one.
(d) The prince.
4. Who does Clara end up marrying?
(a) The prince.
(d) No one.
5. How is Marie de Medici described physically?
(a) As both beautiful and exceptionally intelligent.
(b) As very smart and cunning.
(c) As beautiful and unusually tall.
(d) As old and overweight -- obese, even.
6. What piece of furniture does the queen complain about while at the ball?
(a) A wooden chair.
(b) A creaking dance floor.
(c) An ugly piano.
(d) A stinky sofa.
7. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
(a) The cruel name Margarethe has to refer to both of her children.
(b) A secret gallery of paintings Schoonmaker has.
(c) The nickname for the town's church.
(d) The mess of a household that is now the Van den Meers.
8. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
(a) The finest perfumes available in town.
(b) The smell of incense.
(c) Tulips in vases.
(d) Beautiful dresses for them to try to choose from.
9. What kind of head piece will Clara wear to the ball to disguise herself?
(a) She is not going to disguise herself at all at the ball.
(b) A Spanish veil.
(c) A mask.
(d) A hooded cloak.
10. Who was Jack Fisher?
(a) Margarethe's first husband.
(b) Ruth's father.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Iris's father.
11. Who does the Master tell Iris he views as responsible for bringing van den Meer to ruin?
12. What event causes the ball to end abruptly?
(a) The queen falls asleep.
(b) The party runs out of food.
(c) A raging fire.
(d) The prince declares he has proposed to someone.
13. What happened to the Master's reputation after the ball?
(a) It diminished.
(b) It skyrocketed.
(c) It ebbed and flowed.
(d) It was unaffected.
14. What changes about Clara's dress after the ball?
(a) It somehow glows even more.
(b) It suddenly becomes too small, almost choking her.
(c) It suddenly becomes too big.
(d) It is in complete tatters.
15. What kind of life does Ruth claim Iris led?
(a) A sad life.
(b) A rich life.
(c) A regretful life.
(d) A short life.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Master, what is the reason behind Margarethe's lie about his relationship with Caspar?
2. How does Ruth react when the Master says, at the ball, that he wishes Margarethe would have burned his painting?
3. In the Epilogue, Ruth claims that Iris was better at doing what than painting?
4. As the ball approaches and Clara becomes increasingly reclusive, what does Iris accuse her of becoming like?
5. What does Clara say she'd rather do than marry van Stolk?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)