|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Iris dance with first at the ball?
(c) Someone she doesn't know -- or like.
2. What non-family member do Ruth, Iris, and Clara enlist in helping them get Clara to the ball?
(a) Clara's father.
(b) Van Stolk.
(d) The Master.
3. As the ball approaches and Margarethe is tight for money, why does she claim the Master owes her money?
(a) Because she knows he has been secretly stealing from the Van den Meers.
(b) Because he has lots of money now and she has very little.
(c) Because she and Iris helped him land the Young Girl with Tulips painting.
(d) Because he never paid her enough when she was working for him.
4. How is Marie de Medici described physically?
(a) As very smart and cunning.
(b) As old and overweight -- obese, even.
(c) As beautiful and unusually tall.
(d) As both beautiful and exceptionally intelligent.
5. What does Iris tell Clara that changes her mind about attending the ball?
(a) That she needs to do something to help her father and her family's situation.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) That she is strong, brave, and has a good heart.
(d) That she needs to grow up.
6. How did Marie de Medici lose her power?
(a) Her own son overthrew her.
(b) She resigned it.
(c) She never had much power to begin with.
(d) She lost it when her husband died.
7. What happens to Margarethe after the ball?
(a) She runs away, so no one is really sure.
(b) She kills herself.
(c) She is still alive but blind.
(d) She goes insane.
8. What happened to the Master's reputation after the ball?
(a) It was unaffected.
(b) It diminished.
(c) It ebbed and flowed.
(d) It skyrocketed.
9. What happened to the Gallery of God's Mistakes after the Master died?
(a) It was passed down for generations.
(b) It was thrown into a bonfire.
(c) It was sold for a lot of money.
(d) It was donated to a museum.
10. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth admit for acting dumb?
(a) She hated her mother and wanted to embarrass her.
(b) She wasn't acting.
(c) It was just easier sometimes, since she wouldn't have to do chores.
(d) She was jealous.
11. Who first tries to lay claim to the mystery slipper?
12. What does Caspar accuse Ruth of doing at the ball?
(a) Sabotaging Clara's chance with the prince.
(b) Having way too much to drink.
(c) Starting a fire.
(d) Sabotaging Iris's chance with the prince.
13. What event causes the ball to end abruptly?
(a) The party runs out of food.
(b) The queen falls asleep.
(c) The prince declares he has proposed to someone.
(d) A raging fire.
14. When Margarethe refers to the imp in their family, to whom is she actually referring?
(d) An imp that only comes out at night.
15. As the ball approaches, what does the reader learn about Margarethe's neighbors' opinion of her?
(a) That they admire her.
(b) That they are jealous of her wealth.
(c) That they scorn her and think very poorly of her choices.
(d) That they think she is the most beautiful woman in all the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
2. How does Ruth react when the Master says, at the ball, that he wishes Margarethe would have burned his painting?
3. Who does Iris end up marrying?
4. How does Iris describe Ruth as they are traveling to the ball?
5. What kind of life does Ruth claim Iris led?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)