|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
(a) It skyrockets again, giving Ruth a lot of money.
(b) It is regulated and becomes more reliable.
(c) It never recovers.
(d) It becomes a national embarrassment.
2. What key item did Clara leave behind at the ball?
(a) Her shoe.
(b) The key she always wears around her neck.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) Her purse.
3. How does Iris describe Ruth as they are traveling to the ball?
(a) Cute and childlike.
(b) Stupid and ugly.
(c) Strong and passionate.
(d) Loud and rude.
4. What event causes the ball to end abruptly?
(a) A raging fire.
(b) The party runs out of food.
(c) The queen falls asleep.
(d) The prince declares he has proposed to someone.
5. How much of the van den Meers' household has been lost because of their debt?
(a) Only one bedroom of furniture and one closet of clothes.
(b) Nothing. Margarethe refuses to allow anyone to take anything.
(c) Half of their furniture and all of Henrika's possessions.
(d) Nearly everything they own except for one bed everyone shares.
6. Who does Ruth end up marrying?
(a) No one.
(d) The prince.
7. After she moves away, how often does Clara ask about Margarethe?
(a) Maybe once or twice a year, but not very often.
(c) All the time.
(d) Only once.
8. As the ball approaches, what does the reader learn about Margarethe's neighbors' opinion of her?
(a) That they are jealous of her wealth.
(b) That they think she is the most beautiful woman in all the land.
(c) That they scorn her and think very poorly of her choices.
(d) That they admire her.
9. What happened to the Master's reputation after the ball?
(a) It ebbed and flowed.
(b) It was unaffected.
(c) It diminished.
(d) It skyrocketed.
10. What kind of life does Ruth claim Iris led?
(a) A sad life.
(b) A rich life.
(c) A short life.
(d) A regretful life.
11. Who is the narrator of the Epilogue?
12. Why does Clara decline at first to dance with the prince?
(a) She lies about having a turned ankle.
(b) She doesn't know how to dance.
(c) She wants to give Iris a chance first.
(d) She only has one shoe on.
13. How do Margarethe, Ruth, and Iris plan on getting dresses for the ball?
(a) They are sewing their own.
(b) They are using Henrika's old dresses.
(c) A tailor is making custom dresses for them.
(d) They are making Clara sew all of their dresses and accessories.
14. What do Iris and Clara use as collateral in order to get Clara a gown?
(a) Henrika's jewels.
(b) Margarethe's fancy new shoes.
(c) Money Ruth has been secretly hiding away.
(d) The last of their family fortune.
15. How is Clarissa of Aragaon's arrival met by the crowd?
(a) With anger.
(b) With no fanfare at all.
(c) With awe.
(d) With shouts of excitement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
2. How does Cornelius react to his grandchildren?
3. What piece of furniture does the queen complain about while at the ball?
4. What advice does the narrator wish had been given to Clara?
5. What does Margarethe think is increasing as her sight begins decreasing?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)