|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unexpectedly arrives at the van den Meers' home the morning after the ball?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(c) Caspar and Philippe.
2. Who first tries to lay claim to the mystery slipper?
3. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth admit for acting dumb?
(a) She wasn't acting.
(b) It was just easier sometimes, since she wouldn't have to do chores.
(c) She was jealous.
(d) She hated her mother and wanted to embarrass her.
4. What signal does Marie de Medici give to the prince to tell him he should move on to other ladies while meeting everyone?
(a) A little handwritten note.
(b) A slight cough.
(c) A poke in the side.
(d) A kick under the table.
5. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
(a) The mess of a household that is now the Van den Meers.
(b) The nickname for the town's church.
(c) A secret gallery of paintings Schoonmaker has.
(d) The cruel name Margarethe has to refer to both of her children.
6. What drink does a servant bring to Clara and Philippe when they are in a private room?
7. What kind of head piece will Clara wear to the ball to disguise herself?
(a) She is not going to disguise herself at all at the ball.
(b) A hooded cloak.
(c) A Spanish veil.
(d) A mask.
8. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
(a) Tulips in vases.
(b) The finest perfumes available in town.
(c) Beautiful dresses for them to try to choose from.
(d) The smell of incense.
9. What changes about Clara's dress after the ball?
(a) It suddenly becomes too small, almost choking her.
(b) It is in complete tatters.
(c) It somehow glows even more.
(d) It suddenly becomes too big.
10. What color dress does Iris wear to the ball?
11. Who was Jack Fisher?
(a) Ruth's father.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Iris's father.
(d) Margarethe's first husband.
12. When Margarethe refers to the imp in their family, to whom is she actually referring?
(b) An imp that only comes out at night.
13. Why does Clara decline at first to dance with the prince?
(a) She doesn't know how to dance.
(b) She only has one shoe on.
(c) She lies about having a turned ankle.
(d) She wants to give Iris a chance first.
14. What does Clara confess, by her father's bedside, about why she felt such a connection with Ruth?
(a) Clara thinks Ruth is a changeling, too.
(b) Ruth has been teaching her in secret to read and write.
(c) Ruth's illness makes Clara feel even more beautiful than she already does.
(d) Ruth can actually talk but only does so to Clara.
15. As the ball approaches, what does the reader learn about Margarethe's neighbors' opinion of her?
(a) That they scorn her and think very poorly of her choices.
(b) That they think she is the most beautiful woman in all the land.
(c) That they are jealous of her wealth.
(d) That they admire her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What key item did Iris leave behind at the ball?
2. How does Cornelius react to his grandchildren?
3. Who is van Antum?
4. Who is Clarissa Santiago of Aragon at the ball?
5. What happens to Margarethe after the ball?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)