|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before heading to the ball, what do Iris and Clara agree about Caspar?
(a) That he really is a jerk.
(b) That he is, in reality, a horrible painter despite all of his experience.
(c) That Clara will not try to take him from Iris.
(d) That he is in love with Clara and they should get married.
2. How many children does Clara end up having?
3. How do Ruth, Iris, and Margarethe get home from the ball?
(a) They steal someone else's carriage.
(b) They have to walk.
(c) By carriage.
(d) They all pile onto one little horse.
4. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
(a) The smell of incense.
(b) Beautiful dresses for them to try to choose from.
(c) The finest perfumes available in town.
(d) Tulips in vases.
5. What does Clara suspect Ruth of doing to Margarethe's linen?
(a) Putting red pepper on it to make her eyes worse.
(b) Washing it more than necessary to make sure it's especially clean.
(c) Selling it for something cheaper and pocketing the money.
(d) Not washing it at all but claiming she did.
6. How much of the van den Meers' household has been lost because of their debt?
(a) Nearly everything they own except for one bed everyone shares.
(b) Only one bedroom of furniture and one closet of clothes.
(c) Nothing. Margarethe refuses to allow anyone to take anything.
(d) Half of their furniture and all of Henrika's possessions.
7. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
(a) The nickname for the town's church.
(b) The mess of a household that is now the Van den Meers.
(c) The cruel name Margarethe has to refer to both of her children.
(d) A secret gallery of paintings Schoonmaker has.
8. Who unexpectedly arrives at the van den Meers' home the morning after the ball?
(a) Caspar and Philippe.
(d) None of these answers is correct.
9. What piece of furniture does the queen complain about while at the ball?
(a) A stinky sofa.
(b) An ugly piano.
(c) A creaking dance floor.
(d) A wooden chair.
10. How does Clara end up dying?
(a) She kills herself.
(b) Margarethe finally gets her revenge and kills her.
(c) From sadness.
(d) From a heart complaint.
11. What does Margarethe think is increasing as her sight begins decreasing?
(a) Her psychic abilities.
(b) Her sense of taste.
(c) Her sense of smell.
(d) Her insight.
12. Who is the narrator of the Epilogue?
13. Who is van Stolk?
(a) A man who paid off van den Meer's debts.
(b) A man both Clara and Iris have big crushes on.
(c) Another apprentice of the Master's.
(d) A kindly neighbor who often stops over for dinner.
14. Who does Iris dance with first at the ball?
(c) Someone she doesn't know -- or like.
15. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
(a) It becomes a national embarrassment.
(b) It never recovers.
(c) It is regulated and becomes more reliable.
(d) It skyrockets again, giving Ruth a lot of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the Master's reputation after the ball?
2. What does Clara yell at Nicolaes van Stolk as she departs her house en route to the ball?
3. What does Clara confess, by her father's bedside, about why she felt such a connection with Ruth?
4. Who ends up taking care of Ruth in her old age?
5. Who does Clara end up marrying?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)