|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ends up taking care of Ruth in her old age?
2. Why does Clara tell the queen she is hiding her face?
(a) Because she gets sunburned easily.
(b) Because she is horribly disfigured.
(c) Because she is allergic to the flowers.
(d) Because she is Catholic.
3. What happened to the Master's reputation after the ball?
(a) It was unaffected.
(b) It ebbed and flowed.
(c) It skyrocketed.
(d) It diminished.
4. What does Caspar accuse Ruth of doing at the ball?
(a) Starting a fire.
(b) Having way too much to drink.
(c) Sabotaging Iris's chance with the prince.
(d) Sabotaging Clara's chance with the prince.
5. What does Iris wonder about the night her family fled without their father?
(a) If he was warned in advance.
(b) If he organized the mob.
(c) If he staged the event to try to murder Margarethe.
(d) If he was really dead before they left.
6. How does Ruth react when the Master says, at the ball, that he wishes Margarethe would have burned his painting?
(a) She starts to cry.
(b) She stares coldly at him.
(c) She spits involuntarily.
(d) She speaks for the first time in the novel.
7. What do Iris and Clara use as collateral in order to get Clara a gown?
(a) Money Ruth has been secretly hiding away.
(b) Margarethe's fancy new shoes.
(c) Henrika's jewels.
(d) The last of their family fortune.
8. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
(a) The mess of a household that is now the Van den Meers.
(b) A secret gallery of paintings Schoonmaker has.
(c) The cruel name Margarethe has to refer to both of her children.
(d) The nickname for the town's church.
9. In the Epilogue, Ruth claims that Iris was better at doing what than painting?
10. When Margarethe refers to the imp in their family, to whom is she actually referring?
(d) An imp that only comes out at night.
11. Who is van Stolk?
(a) A kindly neighbor who often stops over for dinner.
(b) A man who paid off van den Meer's debts.
(c) Another apprentice of the Master's.
(d) A man both Clara and Iris have big crushes on.
12. Before heading to the ball, what do Iris and Clara agree about Caspar?
(a) That he really is a jerk.
(b) That he is, in reality, a horrible painter despite all of his experience.
(c) That Clara will not try to take him from Iris.
(d) That he is in love with Clara and they should get married.
13. Who is van Antum?
(a) A tailor.
(b) A fellow investor of van den Meer's.
(c) A creditor of van den Meer's who wants his money as soon as possible.
(d) A priest.
14. What happens to Margarethe after the ball?
(a) She kills herself.
(b) She runs away, so no one is really sure.
(c) She goes insane.
(d) She is still alive but blind.
15. Who does Ruth suspect of kidnapping Clara as a child?
(a) Van Stolk.
(d) Her own father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Clarissa of Aragaon's arrival met by the crowd?
2. What key item did Clara leave behind at the ball?
3. Who does Iris and Ruth's hair for the ball?
4. How do Ruth and Iris get to the ball?
5. Why does Margarethe feel that Philippe de Marisllac will be interested in Iris?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)