|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clara say she'd rather do than marry van Stolk?
(a) Remain a housemaid.
(b) Become a nun.
(c) Run away to another town.
(d) Kill herself.
2. How does Clara end up dying?
(a) She kills herself.
(b) From sadness.
(c) Margarethe finally gets her revenge and kills her.
(d) From a heart complaint.
3. How do Margarethe, Ruth, and Iris plan on getting dresses for the ball?
(a) They are sewing their own.
(b) A tailor is making custom dresses for them.
(c) They are making Clara sew all of their dresses and accessories.
(d) They are using Henrika's old dresses.
4. Which item is van Stolk most interested in in the van den Meers' household?
(a) Van den Meer's amazing library of unique books.
(b) The nice pots and pans in the kitchen.
(c) The Young Woman with Tulips painting.
5. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
(a) It never recovers.
(b) It is regulated and becomes more reliable.
(c) It skyrockets again, giving Ruth a lot of money.
(d) It becomes a national embarrassment.
6. What does Iris tell Clara that changes her mind about attending the ball?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) That she is strong, brave, and has a good heart.
(c) That she needs to grow up.
(d) That she needs to do something to help her father and her family's situation.
7. What color dress does Iris wear to the ball?
8. In the Epilogue, Ruth claims that Iris was better at doing what than painting?
9. Who does Iris end up marrying?
(a) No one.
(d) The prince.
10. As the ball approaches, what part of the van den Meer house does Clara often refuse to leave?
(a) Her bedroom.
(b) The tulip shed in the backyard.
(c) Her father's bedside.
(d) The kitchen.
11. How is Clarissa of Aragaon's arrival met by the crowd?
(a) With awe.
(b) With no fanfare at all.
(c) With anger.
(d) With shouts of excitement.
12. Who ends up taking care of Ruth in her old age?
13. What does Margarethe think is increasing as her sight begins decreasing?
(a) Her psychic abilities.
(b) Her sense of smell.
(c) Her sense of taste.
(d) Her insight.
14. What non-family member do Ruth, Iris, and Clara enlist in helping them get Clara to the ball?
(a) Clara's father.
(c) Van Stolk.
(d) The Master.
15. What drink does a servant bring to Clara and Philippe when they are in a private room?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Clara end up having?
2. How much of the van den Meers' fortune was lost in Clara's kidnapping as a young child?
3. According to the Master, what is the reason behind Margarethe's lie about his relationship with Caspar?
4. Who warns Clara when van Stolk enters the ball?
5. How do Ruth, Iris, and Margarethe get home from the ball?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)