|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Clara become so upset when van den Meer tells Margarethe that the hutsepot she makes for Lent is the best he's ever had?
(a) Because he knows that Clara hates hutsepot more than anything.
(b) Because Clara wants her birth mother's dishes to always be remembered as the best.
(c) Because Clara made it herself and wants the credit.
(d) Because it is horrible and Clara knows he is lying.
2. How is Margarethe initially described in the novel?
(a) As stubborn and rude.
(b) As optimistic and kind.
(c) As silent and strong.
(d) As strict and careworn.
3. After her mother's death, why is Clara forced to leave the house?
(a) To go shopping in the marketplace.
(b) Because Margarethe demands she do it.
(c) To attend her mother's funeral.
(d) Because her father wants to flee with her in the middle of the night.
4. What does the Master call Mr. van den Meer that crosses a line of acceptability?
(a) A hen-pecked husband.
(b) A money-hungry lump.
(c) A fraud.
(d) An adulterer.
5. How is Iris initially described in the novel?
(a) As shy and unable/unwilling to speak.
(b) As conscientious and unattractive.
(c) As mentally impaired and hard to control.
(d) As beautiful and loving.
6. What reaction does Clara have to the windmill?
(a) She instantly decides she wants to move there.
(b) She seems to remember it from long ago.
(c) She finds it very dirty.
(d) She is grateful for its water fountain.
7. What are Iris and Margarethe a little afraid Schoonmaker will ask Iris to do when they first start working together?
(a) To pose naked while he paints her.
(b) To beg for money in the streets.
(c) To do very hard, physical labor even though she is very young.
(d) To spend all day in a very hot kitchen.
8. What happens during Iris and Clara's attempts to get Clara out of the house?
(a) Iris panics and changes her mind.
(b) Ruth tells on them.
(c) Clara panics and changes her mind.
(d) Henrika catches them before they can get very far.
9. What has allegedly happened to Jack Fisher?
(a) No one really knows.
(b) He has been killed by a mob.
(c) He left the family in poverty.
(d) He will be joining the Fisher family later.
10. What other major event happens the evening Rebekka dies?
(a) Ruth says her first word.
(b) Margarethe confesses to poisoning Henrika.
(c) Van den Meer's boat of tulips arrives.
(d) Margarethe realizes she is pregnant.
11. What role does Margarethe take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She cooks and cleans.
(b) She sews clothes for his shop.
(c) She sings all day to help him focus.
(d) She tends his garden.
12. Who is Rebekka?
(a) Margarethe's long-lost sister.
(b) A young girl Iris befriended in the neighborhood.
(c) A girl who has a condition similar to Ruth's.
(d) A cook hired to help in the van den Meer household.
13. How does the Master respond to the success of his painting of Clara?
(a) He starts being mean to everyone around him.
(b) He is very proud and excited.
(c) He becomes incredibly wealthy.
(d) He becomes depressed.
14. What happens to the van den Meers' wealth at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) It increases drastically right after Margarethe marries into the family.
(b) It doesn't do much, since Margarethe is too cheap to buy anything nice.
(c) It ends up being stolen by the very guards hired to protect it.
(d) It is lost when the tulip market crashes.
15. How does Iris propose getting Clara out of the house?
(a) By just having her walk out the front door.
(b) By hiding her underneath Ruth's biggest dress.
(c) By sneaking her out in a wheelbarrow.
(d) By sneaking out at night when no one is awake.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clara is young and throwing fits, which character is the only person who is able to pull her out of her fitful state?
2. Who opens her door at the commotion in the marketplace and talks to Ruth?
3. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
4. Who eventually prevails in teaching Clara how to hem her own skirt?
5. After the Fishers flee their homeland, who are they expecting will house and feed them?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)