|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Rebekka?
(a) She steals money from the van den Meers.
(b) She is fired for teaching Iris how to read and write.
(c) She drops dead from the plague while in the van den Meer kitchen.
(d) She ends up having an affair with Mr. van den Meer.
2. What does the town say is the cause of Henrika's health issues?
(a) That she is too wealthy so she is being punished for not sharing her wealth.
(b) That she is cruel so God is treating her cruelly.
(c) That something demonic resides in the house at night.
(d) That Margarethe is secretly poisoning her.
3. After the successful unveiling of the painting of Clara, what does Margarethe ask Mr. van den Meer for?
(a) Better living arrangements.
(b) For the chance for Iris to go to school.
(c) A stipend.
(d) To be released from her job.
4. When the town's river freezes over, how do Clara and Iris share their one pair of skates?
(a) Each girl takes one skate apiece.
(b) They take turns using the skates.
(c) Clara lets Iris use them both as a special treat.
(d) They decide not to use them at all.
5. When she first arrives, what services does Margarethe offer the townspeople in exchange for food and housing?
(a) Anything she can think of.
6. When Henrika is sick, what does Caspar give Ruth and Iris every morning when they come to visit him and the Master?
(a) Fresh fruit and juice.
(b) Warm tea.
(d) Hot chocolate.
7. What famous fairy tale does Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister depend on the reader being familiar with?
(a) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) Peter Pan.
8. What item does Iris actually steal in the marketplace?
(a) Some meat.
(b) A pear.
(c) A fish.
(d) A loaf of bread.
9. Who is a member of the Fisher family?
(c) All of these answers are correct.
10. What role does Iris take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She scrubs the floors every other day.
(b) She sits so he can paint her.
(c) She stands outside holding an advertisement for his business.
(d) She makes her famous biscuits every morning.
11. What kind of paintings does Schoonmaker secretly paint?
(a) Modern, abstract paintings.
(b) Paintings with bad words hidden in them.
(c) Paintings of maimed and deformed people.
(d) Paintings of nature.
12. What does Iris find most frustrating about her apprenticeship on the first day?
(a) That she is far more advanced than the town baker.
(b) That she has no interest in a religious life after all.
(c) That she cannot immediately draw well.
(d) That she is worse with a needle and thread than she originally thought.
13. Who is Schoonmaker?
(a) A painter in the village.
(b) A city boy who helps them find the road.
(c) A long-lost relative of Margarethe's.
(d) A priest.
14. What argument does Margarethe use to convince van den Meer that he should marry her?
(a) That she will otherwise not stay to just cook and clean for free.
(b) That she has a family inheritance of her own.
(c) That it would be best for Clara and her reputation.
(d) That she loves him very much.
15. What are Iris and Margarethe a little afraid Schoonmaker will ask Iris to do when they first start working together?
(a) To pose naked while he paints her.
(b) To do very hard, physical labor even though she is very young.
(c) To spend all day in a very hot kitchen.
(d) To beg for money in the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her mother's death, why is Clara forced to leave the house?
2. What other major event happens the evening Rebekka dies?
3. After his wife dies, what investment does van den Meer worry has been lost?
4. After the Fishers flee their homeland, who are they expecting will house and feed them?
5. What happens to the van den Meers' wealth at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)