|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is a member of the Fisher family?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
2. Who eventually prevails in teaching Clara how to hem her own skirt?
(a) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
3. How does Iris propose getting Clara out of the house?
(a) By hiding her underneath Ruth's biggest dress.
(b) By just having her walk out the front door.
(c) By sneaking out at night when no one is awake.
(d) By sneaking her out in a wheelbarrow.
4. What catches Iris's eye about Schoonmaker's lodgings?
(a) How poor his family seems to be.
(b) The beautiful windows in the church.
(c) The lovely flowers on his front lawn.
(d) The vivid colors she sees through the window.
5. What do Caspar and Iris both believe lives in the highest part of the van den Meers' house?
(a) An imp.
(b) A hooded man.
(c) A sick relative.
(d) Strange animals.
6. What happens during Iris and Clara's attempts to get Clara out of the house?
(a) Iris panics and changes her mind.
(b) Clara panics and changes her mind.
(c) Henrika catches them before they can get very far.
(d) Ruth tells on them.
7. What role does Iris take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She makes her famous biscuits every morning.
(b) She scrubs the floors every other day.
(c) She stands outside holding an advertisement for his business.
(d) She sits so he can paint her.
8. When Henrika is sick, what does Caspar give Ruth and Iris every morning when they come to visit him and the Master?
(a) Warm tea.
(b) Hot chocolate.
(c) Fresh fruit and juice.
9. What other major event happens the evening Rebekka dies?
(a) Van den Meer's boat of tulips arrives.
(b) Margarethe confesses to poisoning Henrika.
(c) Ruth says her first word.
(d) Margarethe realizes she is pregnant.
10. Right before the unveiling of the painting the Master created for van den Meer, what does Margarethe call Clara that sends Clara into a screaming rage?
(a) A doll.
(c) A spoiled brat.
(d) A changeling.
11. What prompts Iris to try to get Clara out of the house in Chapter 2?
(a) Henrika is bedridden and won't be able to see them leave.
(b) Henrika finally gives her permission.
(c) Margarethe demands that Iris take Clara to the marketplace.
(d) Clara decides to ignore her mother's wishes and just walk out the front door.
12. What item does Ruth try to steal in the marketplace?
(a) Some meat.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A fish.
(d) A pear.
13. When Clara is young and throwing fits, which character is the only person who is able to pull her out of her fitful state?
14. What does Clara believe happened at the windmill?
(a) She used to play there with her father when she was very little.
(b) She used to help her father sell flowers there as a child.
(c) She was born there.
(d) She was turned into a changeling there.
15. Before the large dinner party where his painting of Clara is revealed, what does the Master do to help comfort Ruth?
(a) He holds her hand.
(b) He speaks softly to her.
(c) He hums her favorite songs.
(d) He presents her with a painting of her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iris eventually go to apprentice with, after much protest?
2. Why is Iris worried about how Henrika and Margarethe interact?
3. After his wife dies, what investment does van den Meer worry has been lost?
4. What are Iris and Margarethe a little afraid Schoonmaker will ask Iris to do when they first start working together?
5. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)