|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city do the Fishers flee to?
(d) The reader never learns the name of the city.
2. What prompts Iris to try to get Clara out of the house in Chapter 2?
(a) Clara decides to ignore her mother's wishes and just walk out the front door.
(b) Henrika is bedridden and won't be able to see them leave.
(c) Henrika finally gives her permission.
(d) Margarethe demands that Iris take Clara to the marketplace.
3. After his wife dies, what investment does van den Meer worry has been lost?
(a) His collection of fine paintings.
(b) His collection of jewelry.
(c) A boat full of tulips that investors have given him money for.
(d) His collection of rare books.
4. Why does Clara become so upset when van den Meer tells Margarethe that the hutsepot she makes for Lent is the best he's ever had?
(a) Because it is horrible and Clara knows he is lying.
(b) Because Clara wants her birth mother's dishes to always be remembered as the best.
(c) Because he knows that Clara hates hutsepot more than anything.
(d) Because Clara made it herself and wants the credit.
5. What does Iris think of Caspar's paintings of Ruth?
(a) That the colors are very, very ugly.
(b) That they don't portray Ruth truthfully.
(c) That they are accurate but flattering.
(d) That they are horribly ugly.
6. After Rebekka's death, what does Margarethe worry has happened to the household?
(a) That Mr. van den Meer will divorce her and leave everyone homeless.
(b) That, because Iris can now read and write, she will outsmart her own mother.
(c) That all of their money has been stolen.
(d) That the plague has been introduced.
7. What does Caspar promise Iris one morning while she is visiting him and the Master during her work for the van den Meers?
(a) That he will always take care of her and Ruth.
(b) That he will marry Iris as soon as possible.
(c) That Iris will be his apprentice one day.
(d) That she will become more beautiful as she gets older, so she should stop worrying all the time.
8. What illness is spreading around Haarlem?
(a) The plague.
(b) The flu.
(c) Some kind of contagious mental illness that makes people go insane.
(d) Some kind of unknown cancer.
9. What does Caspar tell Iris and Clara while they are out ice skating?
(a) That they are girls and shouldn't sweat so much.
(b) That they look like sisters.
(c) That they shouldn't go too far away.
(d) That they they both look beautiful on the ice.
10. What does the town say is the cause of Henrika's health issues?
(a) That Margarethe is secretly poisoning her.
(b) That she is too wealthy so she is being punished for not sharing her wealth.
(c) That she is cruel so God is treating her cruelly.
(d) That something demonic resides in the house at night.
11. What kind of visitors come to the van den Meers' house after Henrika's funeral?
(a) Tulip investors.
(b) Potential suitors for Clara.
(c) Beggars who know Mr. Van den Meer has inherited a lot of money.
(d) Random people who want to see Clara's portrait.
12. Who is the American equivalent of Sinter Klaas, the person for whom the girls leave their shoes out one night?
(a) The tooth fairy.
(b) Santa Claus.
(c) There is no equivalent for this figure.
(d) Sister Klass, the patron saint of candy.
13. When Henrika is sick, what does Caspar give Ruth and Iris every morning when they come to visit him and the Master?
(a) Warm tea.
(b) Hot chocolate.
(d) Fresh fruit and juice.
14. What happens to Rebekka?
(a) She drops dead from the plague while in the van den Meer kitchen.
(b) She is fired for teaching Iris how to read and write.
(c) She ends up having an affair with Mr. van den Meer.
(d) She steals money from the van den Meers.
15. What secret does Margarethe know about Henrika?
(a) That Henrika is having an affair.
(b) That Clara isn't actually Mr. Van den Meer's son.
(c) That Henrika is pregnant.
(d) That Henrika is hiding money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Ruth try to steal in the marketplace?
2. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
3. Who does Iris eventually go to apprentice with, after much protest?
4. What toy is Ruth given after the commotion in the marketplace when the Fishers first arrive?
5. When they are young, what does Clara tell Iris is the only thing that makes her happy?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)