|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What argument does Margarethe use to convince van den Meer that he should marry her?
(a) That it would be best for Clara and her reputation.
(b) That she has a family inheritance of her own.
(c) That she loves him very much.
(d) That she will otherwise not stay to just cook and clean for free.
2. Does Iris ever find an imp in the van den Meers' household?
(b) She sees it running down the street one night but is unable to catch it.
(c) She finds evidence of it but not the actual imp itself.
3. When the town's river freezes over, how do Clara and Iris share their one pair of skates?
(a) Clara lets Iris use them both as a special treat.
(b) They take turns using the skates.
(c) Each girl takes one skate apiece.
(d) They decide not to use them at all.
4. What kind of mother is Henrika?
(c) Very loving.
5. Right before the unveiling of the painting the Master created for van den Meer, what does Margarethe call Clara that sends Clara into a screaming rage?
(a) A doll.
(c) A changeling.
(d) A spoiled brat.
6. How are Ruth and Iris related?
(a) Iris is Ruth's older sister.
(b) Ruth is Iris's older sister.
(c) Ruth is Iris's mom.
(d) They are cousins.
7. What has happened to Pieter ten Broek?
(a) He has died.
(b) He has lost his job with the church and is very poor now.
(c) He has moved to America.
(d) He is in an insane asylum.
8. Who is going to throw a ball?
(a) The mayor of Haarlem.
(c) The mayor's wife.
(d) Marie de Medici.
9. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She paints copies of his paintings.
(b) She fetches new paints for him.
(c) She sits so he can paint her.
(d) She gathers flowers for him every day.
10. What do Caspar and Iris both believe lives in the highest part of the van den Meers' house?
(a) An imp.
(b) A sick relative.
(c) A hooded man.
(d) Strange animals.
11. What item does Ruth try to steal in the marketplace?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) Some meat.
(c) A fish.
(d) A pear.
12. What item is Iris given to work with on the first day of her apprenticeship?
(a) A piece of red silk.
(b) A seashell.
(c) A personalized bible.
(d) A pound of very stale flour.
13. What health problems does Henrika begin to develop in Chapter 2?
(a) She begins to lose her eyesight.
(b) She begins to have a very difficult pregnancy.
(c) She begins to go insane.
(d) She has such bad pains in her legs that she can't walk anymore.
14. What does Iris think of Caspar's paintings of Ruth?
(a) That they are accurate but flattering.
(b) That the colors are very, very ugly.
(c) That they don't portray Ruth truthfully.
(d) That they are horribly ugly.
15. What illness is spreading around Haarlem?
(a) The plague.
(b) Some kind of unknown cancer.
(c) The flu.
(d) Some kind of contagious mental illness that makes people go insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ruth initially described in the novel?
2. How does the Master respond to the success of his painting of Clara?
3. What happens during Iris and Clara's attempts to get Clara out of the house?
4. What does Henrika die from?
5. What catches Iris's eye about Schoonmaker's lodgings?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)