|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rebekka?
(a) A girl who has a condition similar to Ruth's.
(b) A cook hired to help in the van den Meer household.
(c) Margarethe's long-lost sister.
(d) A young girl Iris befriended in the neighborhood.
2. After the successful unveiling of the painting of Clara, what does Margarethe ask Mr. van den Meer for?
(a) To be released from her job.
(b) A stipend.
(c) Better living arrangements.
(d) For the chance for Iris to go to school.
3. What does the Master call Mr. van den Meer that crosses a line of acceptability?
(a) An adulterer.
(b) A fraud.
(c) A money-hungry lump.
(d) A hen-pecked husband.
4. What reaction does Clara have to the windmill?
(a) She is grateful for its water fountain.
(b) She instantly decides she wants to move there.
(c) She finds it very dirty.
(d) She seems to remember it from long ago.
5. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
(a) She has a key for the front door on a necklace.
(b) Her initials appear to have been carved into the side of the building long ago.
(c) She knows a secret way inside.
(d) She knows about a secret trapdoor.
6. How is Iris initially described in the novel?
(a) As shy and unable/unwilling to speak.
(b) As conscientious and unattractive.
(c) As mentally impaired and hard to control.
(d) As beautiful and loving.
7. What has happened to Pieter ten Broek?
(a) He has moved to America.
(b) He has died.
(c) He is in an insane asylum.
(d) He has lost his job with the church and is very poor now.
8. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
(a) A fancy silk handkerchief.
(b) A letter.
(c) A toy windmill.
(d) A pastry.
9. Who is The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies?
(a) The nickname the townspeople have given to Margarethe.
(b) An old, hairy woman who wanders around town.
(c) The name of the ghost that lives in the Van den Meer's attic.
(d) The nickname the townspeople have given to Ruth.
10. Does Iris ever find an imp in the van den Meers' household?
(b) She finds evidence of it but not the actual imp itself.
(d) She sees it running down the street one night but is unable to catch it.
11. Before the large dinner party where his painting of Clara is revealed, what does the Master do to help comfort Ruth?
(a) He holds her hand.
(b) He hums her favorite songs.
(c) He presents her with a painting of her own.
(d) He speaks softly to her.
12. Why is Clara upset about what Sinter Klaas left in her shoe?
(a) She knows Sinter Klaas is not real but Margarethe is treating her like a child.
(b) She didn't receive anything and thinks Margarethe is playing a cruel joke on her.
(c) She thought she deserved more candy than Ruth and Iris.
(d) She thought she should have gotten more money, since she had lost more teeth that Ruth.
13. What happens to the van den Meers' wealth at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) It doesn't do much, since Margarethe is too cheap to buy anything nice.
(b) It ends up being stolen by the very guards hired to protect it.
(c) It is lost when the tulip market crashes.
(d) It increases drastically right after Margarethe marries into the family.
14. What illness is spreading around Haarlem?
(a) The plague.
(b) Some kind of contagious mental illness that makes people go insane.
(c) Some kind of unknown cancer.
(d) The flu.
15. What does Iris find most frustrating about her apprenticeship on the first day?
(a) That she has no interest in a religious life after all.
(b) That she is worse with a needle and thread than she originally thought.
(c) That she cannot immediately draw well.
(d) That she is far more advanced than the town baker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Caspar and Iris both believe lives in the highest part of the van den Meers' house?
2. What does Clara believe happened at the windmill?
3. After his wife dies, what investment does van den Meer worry has been lost?
4. What does Caspar promise Iris one morning while she is visiting him and the Master during her work for the van den Meers?
5. How are Ruth and Iris related?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)