|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Caspar and Iris both believe lives in the highest part of the van den Meers' house?
(a) Strange animals.
(b) An imp.
(c) A sick relative.
(d) A hooded man.
2. Who does Iris eventually go to apprentice with, after much protest?
(a) Caspar and the Master.
(b) The town baker.
(c) The nuns in the church next door.
(d) The town seamstress.
3. What catches Iris's eye about Schoonmaker's lodgings?
(a) The vivid colors she sees through the window.
(b) The beautiful windows in the church.
(c) How poor his family seems to be.
(d) The lovely flowers on his front lawn.
4. What kind of visitors come to the van den Meers' house after Henrika's funeral?
(a) Potential suitors for Clara.
(b) Tulip investors.
(c) Beggars who know Mr. Van den Meer has inherited a lot of money.
(d) Random people who want to see Clara's portrait.
5. When the Fishers first arrive in the marketplace, how are they treated?
(b) All of these answers are correct.
6. Why does Clara become so upset when van den Meer tells Margarethe that the hutsepot she makes for Lent is the best he's ever had?
(a) Because Clara made it herself and wants the credit.
(b) Because Clara wants her birth mother's dishes to always be remembered as the best.
(c) Because it is horrible and Clara knows he is lying.
(d) Because he knows that Clara hates hutsepot more than anything.
7. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She sits so he can paint her.
(b) She paints copies of his paintings.
(c) She fetches new paints for him.
(d) She gathers flowers for him every day.
8. Why is Iris worried about how Henrika and Margarethe interact?
(a) She doesn't want Henrika to kick out the Fishers.
(b) She worries Henrika is getting all of her mother's attention.
(c) She doesn't want Clara to begin to feel ignored.
(d) She thinks they are becoming too friendly.
9. What happens to the van den Meers' wealth at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) It ends up being stolen by the very guards hired to protect it.
(b) It increases drastically right after Margarethe marries into the family.
(c) It is lost when the tulip market crashes.
(d) It doesn't do much, since Margarethe is too cheap to buy anything nice.
10. Henrika and Margarethe usually get along:
(a) Not very well at all.
(b) Perfectly -- they quickly become best friends.
(c) They never see each other.
(d) Sometimes really well and sometimes not very well at all.
11. After her mother's death, why is Clara forced to leave the house?
(a) To attend her mother's funeral.
(b) Because Margarethe demands she do it.
(c) To go shopping in the marketplace.
(d) Because her father wants to flee with her in the middle of the night.
12. Does Iris ever find an imp in the van den Meers' household?
(a) She sees it running down the street one night but is unable to catch it.
(c) She finds evidence of it but not the actual imp itself.
13. What does the Master call Mr. van den Meer that crosses a line of acceptability?
(a) A fraud.
(b) An adulterer.
(c) A money-hungry lump.
(d) A hen-pecked husband.
14. What other major event happens the evening Rebekka dies?
(a) Ruth says her first word.
(b) Margarethe confesses to poisoning Henrika.
(c) Van den Meer's boat of tulips arrives.
(d) Margarethe realizes she is pregnant.
15. What secret does Margarethe know about Henrika?
(a) That Henrika is having an affair.
(b) That Clara isn't actually Mr. Van den Meer's son.
(c) That Henrika is pregnant.
(d) That Henrika is hiding money.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the successful unveiling of the painting of Clara, what does Margarethe ask Mr. van den Meer for?
2. How does van den Meer plan on revealing the painting he commissioned?
3. What item does Iris actually steal in the marketplace?
4. Who is Schoonmaker?
5. How is Margarethe initially described in the novel?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)