|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When she first arrives, what services does Margarethe offer the townspeople in exchange for food and housing?
(d) Anything she can think of.
2. What health problems does Henrika begin to develop in Chapter 2?
(a) She begins to have a very difficult pregnancy.
(b) She begins to lose her eyesight.
(c) She begins to go insane.
(d) She has such bad pains in her legs that she can't walk anymore.
3. What secret does Margarethe know about Henrika?
(a) That Clara isn't actually Mr. Van den Meer's son.
(b) That Henrika is having an affair.
(c) That Henrika is pregnant.
(d) That Henrika is hiding money.
4. What kind of mother is Henrika?
(d) Very loving.
5. Who is Caspar?
(a) Schoonmaker's apprentice.
(b) The Fishers' boss when Schoonmaker is gone.
(c) A boy who works at a church.
(d) The man who delivers groceries every day.
6. Who is Pieter ten Broek?
(a) Margarethe's brother.
(b) The girls' long-lost father.
(c) A priest in a local church.
(d) Margarethe's grandfather.
7. What has happened to Pieter ten Broek?
(a) He has died.
(b) He has moved to America.
(c) He has lost his job with the church and is very poor now.
(d) He is in an insane asylum.
8. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
(a) A toy windmill.
(b) A letter.
(c) A fancy silk handkerchief.
(d) A pastry.
9. Why does Clara become so upset when van den Meer tells Margarethe that the hutsepot she makes for Lent is the best he's ever had?
(a) Because Clara made it herself and wants the credit.
(b) Because Clara wants her birth mother's dishes to always be remembered as the best.
(c) Because he knows that Clara hates hutsepot more than anything.
(d) Because it is horrible and Clara knows he is lying.
10. After her mother's death, why is Clara forced to leave the house?
(a) Because her father wants to flee with her in the middle of the night.
(b) To go shopping in the marketplace.
(c) To attend her mother's funeral.
(d) Because Margarethe demands she do it.
11. What prompts Iris to try to get Clara out of the house in Chapter 2?
(a) Margarethe demands that Iris take Clara to the marketplace.
(b) Henrika finally gives her permission.
(c) Henrika is bedridden and won't be able to see them leave.
(d) Clara decides to ignore her mother's wishes and just walk out the front door.
12. What is the financial situation of the van den Meers when the Fishers move in with them?
(a) The van den Meers are neither rich nor poor.
(b) The van den Meers are poor now, but expect to get more money.
(c) The van den Meers are very wealthy.
(d) The van den Meers are on the brink of poverty.
13. What does the Master call Mr. van den Meer that crosses a line of acceptability?
(a) An adulterer.
(b) A hen-pecked husband.
(c) A money-hungry lump.
(d) A fraud.
14. Who is a member of the Fisher family?
(b) All of these answers are correct.
15. What happens to Rebekka?
(a) She is fired for teaching Iris how to read and write.
(b) She drops dead from the plague while in the van den Meer kitchen.
(c) She steals money from the van den Meers.
(d) She ends up having an affair with Mr. van den Meer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
2. Right before the evening when her painting is unveiled, what cruel thing does Clara say to Iris when Iris comes to try to coax her out of her bedroom?
3. What ultimately leads Clara to leave the house on a regular basis with Iris and Ruth?
4. After the Master's painting is met with great success, what does he ask Margarethe?
5. How is Iris initially described in the novel?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)