|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the painting the Master creates for van den Meer?
(a) Young Woman with Tulips.
(b) Girl with Flowers by a Window.
(c) Young Woman with Two Lips.
(d) Clara, My Beloved.
2. What does Clara believe happened at the windmill?
(a) She used to help her father sell flowers there as a child.
(b) She used to play there with her father when she was very little.
(c) She was turned into a changeling there.
(d) She was born there.
3. What has happened to Pieter ten Broek?
(a) He has died.
(b) He has lost his job with the church and is very poor now.
(c) He has moved to America.
(d) He is in an insane asylum.
4. What does the Master call Mr. van den Meer that crosses a line of acceptability?
(a) A money-hungry lump.
(b) A fraud.
(c) An adulterer.
(d) A hen-pecked husband.
5. Why is Iris worried about how Henrika and Margarethe interact?
(a) She worries Henrika is getting all of her mother's attention.
(b) She doesn't want Henrika to kick out the Fishers.
(c) She thinks they are becoming too friendly.
(d) She doesn't want Clara to begin to feel ignored.
6. Who is Rebekka?
(a) A cook hired to help in the van den Meer household.
(b) A young girl Iris befriended in the neighborhood.
(c) A girl who has a condition similar to Ruth's.
(d) Margarethe's long-lost sister.
7. How does Iris propose getting Clara out of the house?
(a) By hiding her underneath Ruth's biggest dress.
(b) By just having her walk out the front door.
(c) By sneaking out at night when no one is awake.
(d) By sneaking her out in a wheelbarrow.
8. After Henrika's death, what is her portrait replaced with in the van den Meers' household?
(a) A portrait of tulips.
(b) A portrait of Margarethe.
(c) Henrika's portrait is never replaced.
(d) The portrait of Clara.
9. What kind of mother is Henrika?
(a) Very loving.
10. Why is Clara upset about what Sinter Klaas left in her shoe?
(a) She didn't receive anything and thinks Margarethe is playing a cruel joke on her.
(b) She thought she deserved more candy than Ruth and Iris.
(c) She knows Sinter Klaas is not real but Margarethe is treating her like a child.
(d) She thought she should have gotten more money, since she had lost more teeth that Ruth.
11. How does van den Meer plan on revealing the painting he commissioned?
(a) By unveiling it in the town square.
(b) By donating it to a city museum.
(c) Through a fancy dinner party.
(d) By donating it to a city church.
12. How are Ruth and Iris related?
(a) Ruth is Iris's older sister.
(b) Iris is Ruth's older sister.
(c) Ruth is Iris's mom.
(d) They are cousins.
13. What health problems does Henrika begin to develop in Chapter 2?
(a) She begins to go insane.
(b) She has such bad pains in her legs that she can't walk anymore.
(c) She begins to lose her eyesight.
(d) She begins to have a very difficult pregnancy.
14. After his wife dies, what investment does van den Meer worry has been lost?
(a) His collection of fine paintings.
(b) A boat full of tulips that investors have given him money for.
(c) His collection of jewelry.
(d) His collection of rare books.
15. What do Caspar and Iris both believe lives in the highest part of the van den Meers' house?
(a) Strange animals.
(b) An imp.
(c) A sick relative.
(d) A hooded man.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the book begins, who is the narrator?
2. What illness is spreading around Haarlem?
3. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
4. What argument does Margarethe use to convince van den Meer that he should marry her?
5. What famous fairy tale does Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister depend on the reader being familiar with?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)