|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Margarethe initially described in the novel?
(a) As stubborn and rude.
(b) As silent and strong.
(c) As optimistic and kind.
(d) As strict and careworn.
2. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
(a) Her initials appear to have been carved into the side of the building long ago.
(b) She has a key for the front door on a necklace.
(c) She knows a secret way inside.
(d) She knows about a secret trapdoor.
3. After the Master's painting is met with great success, what does he ask Margarethe?
(a) To adopt Iris.
(b) If she will move back in with him.
(c) To adopt Ruth.
(d) If she will teach him how to paint like they do in England.
4. After the Fishers flee their homeland, who are they expecting will house and feed them?
(a) Margarethe's brother.
(b) Margarethe's grandfather.
(c) The girls' long-lost father.
(d) Nuns in a local church.
5. What kind of visitors come to the van den Meers' house after Henrika's funeral?
(a) Beggars who know Mr. Van den Meer has inherited a lot of money.
(b) Potential suitors for Clara.
(c) Random people who want to see Clara's portrait.
(d) Tulip investors.
6. Who is Schoonmaker?
(a) A painter in the village.
(b) A priest.
(c) A long-lost relative of Margarethe's.
(d) A city boy who helps them find the road.
7. Who is a member of the Fisher family?
(b) All of these answers are correct.
8. What good news does van den Meer receive from an investment partner about his investment?
(a) That the jewels have been found.
(b) That his paintings are still safe in the museum.
(c) That the ship has only been delayed, not lost.
(d) That most of his rare books somehow survived a fire.
9. Who is the American equivalent of Sinter Klaas, the person for whom the girls leave their shoes out one night?
(a) Sister Klass, the patron saint of candy.
(b) The tooth fairy.
(c) There is no equivalent for this figure.
(d) Santa Claus.
10. Why is Clara upset about what Sinter Klaas left in her shoe?
(a) She knows Sinter Klaas is not real but Margarethe is treating her like a child.
(b) She didn't receive anything and thinks Margarethe is playing a cruel joke on her.
(c) She thought she deserved more candy than Ruth and Iris.
(d) She thought she should have gotten more money, since she had lost more teeth that Ruth.
11. When the book begins, who is the narrator?
(a) An older woman who is partially crippled.
(b) A reporter.
(c) A man named Caspar.
(d) A man named Incubus.
12. What reaction does Clara have to the windmill?
(a) She is grateful for its water fountain.
(b) She seems to remember it from long ago.
(c) She instantly decides she wants to move there.
(d) She finds it very dirty.
13. What happens to Rebekka?
(a) She ends up having an affair with Mr. van den Meer.
(b) She steals money from the van den Meers.
(c) She is fired for teaching Iris how to read and write.
(d) She drops dead from the plague while in the van den Meer kitchen.
14. What other major event happens the evening Rebekka dies?
(a) Margarethe realizes she is pregnant.
(b) Margarethe confesses to poisoning Henrika.
(c) Van den Meer's boat of tulips arrives.
(d) Ruth says her first word.
15. What kind of mother is Henrika?
(a) Very loving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iris eventually go to apprentice with, after much protest?
2. After the successful unveiling of the painting of Clara, what does Margarethe ask Mr. van den Meer for?
3. What does Caspar promise Iris one morning while she is visiting him and the Master during her work for the van den Meers?
4. What item is Iris given to work with on the first day of her apprenticeship?
5. What famous fairy tale does Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister depend on the reader being familiar with?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)