|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Iris actually steal in the marketplace?
(a) Some meat.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A fish.
(d) A pear.
2. Who is The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies?
(a) The name of the ghost that lives in the Van den Meer's attic.
(b) The nickname the townspeople have given to Ruth.
(c) An old, hairy woman who wanders around town.
(d) The nickname the townspeople have given to Margarethe.
3. Who is Rebekka?
(a) A cook hired to help in the van den Meer household.
(b) A young girl Iris befriended in the neighborhood.
(c) Margarethe's long-lost sister.
(d) A girl who has a condition similar to Ruth's.
4. Who is Pieter ten Broek?
(a) A priest in a local church.
(b) The girls' long-lost father.
(c) Margarethe's grandfather.
(d) Margarethe's brother.
5. After the Fishers flee their homeland, who are they expecting will house and feed them?
(a) The girls' long-lost father.
(b) Margarethe's brother.
(c) Margarethe's grandfather.
(d) Nuns in a local church.
6. What has allegedly happened to Jack Fisher?
(a) He will be joining the Fisher family later.
(b) He left the family in poverty.
(c) He has been killed by a mob.
(d) No one really knows.
7. When the book begins, from what country have the Fishers fled?
8. What does Clara believe happened at the windmill?
(a) She was turned into a changeling there.
(b) She used to play there with her father when she was very little.
(c) She was born there.
(d) She used to help her father sell flowers there as a child.
9. Who is Caspar?
(a) A boy who works at a church.
(b) The Fishers' boss when Schoonmaker is gone.
(c) The man who delivers groceries every day.
(d) Schoonmaker's apprentice.
10. What city do the Fishers flee to?
(d) The reader never learns the name of the city.
11. What does Iris think of Caspar's paintings of Ruth?
(a) That the colors are very, very ugly.
(b) That they are accurate but flattering.
(c) That they are horribly ugly.
(d) That they don't portray Ruth truthfully.
12. What has happened to Pieter ten Broek?
(a) He has moved to America.
(b) He has died.
(c) He is in an insane asylum.
(d) He has lost his job with the church and is very poor now.
13. Who eventually prevails in teaching Clara how to hem her own skirt?
(b) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
14. Who is the American equivalent of Sinter Klaas, the person for whom the girls leave their shoes out one night?
(a) The tooth fairy.
(b) Santa Claus.
(c) Sister Klass, the patron saint of candy.
(d) There is no equivalent for this figure.
15. After the successful unveiling of the painting of Clara, what does Margarethe ask Mr. van den Meer for?
(a) For the chance for Iris to go to school.
(b) Better living arrangements.
(c) To be released from her job.
(d) A stipend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does van den Meer plan on revealing the painting he commissioned?
2. What catches Iris's eye about Schoonmaker's lodgings?
3. What reaction does Clara have to the windmill?
4. What happens to Rebekka?
5. Why is Clara upset about what Sinter Klaas left in her shoe?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)