|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rebekka?
(a) Margarethe's long-lost sister.
(b) A cook hired to help in the van den Meer household.
(c) A young girl Iris befriended in the neighborhood.
(d) A girl who has a condition similar to Ruth's.
2. After the successful unveiling of the painting of Clara, what does Margarethe ask Mr. van den Meer for?
(a) A stipend.
(b) For the chance for Iris to go to school.
(c) To be released from her job.
(d) Better living arrangements.
3. How are Ruth and Iris related?
(a) Ruth is Iris's mom.
(b) Iris is Ruth's older sister.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) Ruth is Iris's older sister.
4. After the Master's painting is met with great success, what does he ask Margarethe?
(a) If she will move back in with him.
(b) If she will teach him how to paint like they do in England.
(c) To adopt Iris.
(d) To adopt Ruth.
5. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
(a) A fancy silk handkerchief.
(b) A toy windmill.
(c) A letter.
(d) A pastry.
6. Who is The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies?
(a) The nickname the townspeople have given to Ruth.
(b) The nickname the townspeople have given to Margarethe.
(c) The name of the ghost that lives in the Van den Meer's attic.
(d) An old, hairy woman who wanders around town.
7. Why does Clara become so upset when van den Meer tells Margarethe that the hutsepot she makes for Lent is the best he's ever had?
(a) Because Clara wants her birth mother's dishes to always be remembered as the best.
(b) Because he knows that Clara hates hutsepot more than anything.
(c) Because it is horrible and Clara knows he is lying.
(d) Because Clara made it herself and wants the credit.
8. After her mother's death, why is Clara forced to leave the house?
(a) Because Margarethe demands she do it.
(b) To attend her mother's funeral.
(c) To go shopping in the marketplace.
(d) Because her father wants to flee with her in the middle of the night.
9. What does Iris find most frustrating about her apprenticeship on the first day?
(a) That she has no interest in a religious life after all.
(b) That she cannot immediately draw well.
(c) That she is far more advanced than the town baker.
(d) That she is worse with a needle and thread than she originally thought.
10. What ultimately leads Clara to leave the house on a regular basis with Iris and Ruth?
(a) Having to spend all day cleaning.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Being left out of Ruth and Iris's fun adventures.
(d) Having to spend all day with Margarethe.
11. What happens to Rebekka?
(a) She ends up having an affair with Mr. van den Meer.
(b) She is fired for teaching Iris how to read and write.
(c) She steals money from the van den Meers.
(d) She drops dead from the plague while in the van den Meer kitchen.
12. Why do Clara and Iris decide to stop into the windmill while out ice skating?
(a) They are just tired and want to take a break.
(b) They are very thirsty and are looking for water.
(c) Clara needs to use a bathroom.
(d) Iris needs to use a bathroom.
13. Who is a member of the Fisher family?
(b) All of these answers are correct.
14. What has allegedly happened to Jack Fisher?
(a) No one really knows.
(b) He will be joining the Fisher family later.
(c) He left the family in poverty.
(d) He has been killed by a mob.
15. What is the financial situation of the van den Meers when the Fishers move in with them?
(a) The van den Meers are very wealthy.
(b) The van den Meers are neither rich nor poor.
(c) The van den Meers are on the brink of poverty.
(d) The van den Meers are poor now, but expect to get more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
2. When the book begins, from what country have the Fishers fled?
3. After Rebekka's death, what does Margarethe worry has happened to the household?
4. Why is Clara upset about what Sinter Klaas left in her shoe?
5. Who is going to throw a ball?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)