|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iris is sure Margarethe is going to punish her for trying to sneak Clara out, what does Iris receive instead?
(a) Orders to fetch the midwife immediately.
(b) No attention whatsoever, as if nothing happened.
(c) A piece of candy for being so brave.
(d) An extra loaf of bread with dinner.
2. What does the town say is the cause of Henrika's health issues?
(a) That something demonic resides in the house at night.
(b) That she is cruel so God is treating her cruelly.
(c) That Margarethe is secretly poisoning her.
(d) That she is too wealthy so she is being punished for not sharing her wealth.
3. What role does Iris take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She scrubs the floors every other day.
(b) She sits so he can paint her.
(c) She stands outside holding an advertisement for his business.
(d) She makes her famous biscuits every morning.
4. How is Ruth initially described in the novel?
(a) As mentally impaired and hard to control.
(b) As shy and unable/unwilling to speak.
(c) As conscientious and unattractive.
(d) As beautiful and loving.
5. After Rebekka's death, what does Margarethe worry has happened to the household?
(a) That, because Iris can now read and write, she will outsmart her own mother.
(b) That Mr. van den Meer will divorce her and leave everyone homeless.
(c) That the plague has been introduced.
(d) That all of their money has been stolen.
6. What health problems does Henrika begin to develop in Chapter 2?
(a) She begins to have a very difficult pregnancy.
(b) She begins to lose her eyesight.
(c) She has such bad pains in her legs that she can't walk anymore.
(d) She begins to go insane.
7. After the Master's painting is met with great success, what does he ask Margarethe?
(a) To adopt Iris.
(b) If she will teach him how to paint like they do in England.
(c) To adopt Ruth.
(d) If she will move back in with him.
8. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
(a) She has a key for the front door on a necklace.
(b) She knows a secret way inside.
(c) Her initials appear to have been carved into the side of the building long ago.
(d) She knows about a secret trapdoor.
9. What item does Ruth try to steal in the marketplace?
(a) Some meat.
(b) A pear.
(c) A fish.
(d) A loaf of bread.
10. What does the Master call Mr. van den Meer that crosses a line of acceptability?
(a) A fraud.
(b) An adulterer.
(c) A money-hungry lump.
(d) A hen-pecked husband.
11. What is the name of the painting the Master creates for van den Meer?
(a) Young Woman with Tulips.
(b) Clara, My Beloved.
(c) Young Woman with Two Lips.
(d) Girl with Flowers by a Window.
12. What does Iris find most frustrating about her apprenticeship on the first day?
(a) That she cannot immediately draw well.
(b) That she is far more advanced than the town baker.
(c) That she is worse with a needle and thread than she originally thought.
(d) That she has no interest in a religious life after all.
13. Does Iris ever find an imp in the van den Meers' household?
(a) She sees it running down the street one night but is unable to catch it.
(c) She finds evidence of it but not the actual imp itself.
14. What reaction does Clara have to the windmill?
(a) She is grateful for its water fountain.
(b) She instantly decides she wants to move there.
(c) She seems to remember it from long ago.
(d) She finds it very dirty.
15. After the successful unveiling of the painting of Clara, what does Margarethe ask Mr. van den Meer for?
(a) Better living arrangements.
(b) For the chance for Iris to go to school.
(c) To be released from her job.
(d) A stipend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Iris to try to get Clara out of the house in Chapter 2?
2. What toy is Ruth given after the commotion in the marketplace when the Fishers first arrive?
3. What does Schoonmaker prefer the Fishers call him?
4. After his wife dies, what investment does van den Meer worry has been lost?
5. When Clara is young and throwing fits, which character is the only person who is able to pull her out of her fitful state?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)