|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the large dinner party where his painting of Clara is revealed, what does the Master do to help comfort Ruth?
(a) He speaks softly to her.
(b) He presents her with a painting of her own.
(c) He hums her favorite songs.
(d) He holds her hand.
2. What does Caspar promise Iris one morning while she is visiting him and the Master during her work for the van den Meers?
(a) That she will become more beautiful as she gets older, so she should stop worrying all the time.
(b) That Iris will be his apprentice one day.
(c) That he will always take care of her and Ruth.
(d) That he will marry Iris as soon as possible.
3. What are Iris and Margarethe a little afraid Schoonmaker will ask Iris to do when they first start working together?
(a) To pose naked while he paints her.
(b) To spend all day in a very hot kitchen.
(c) To do very hard, physical labor even though she is very young.
(d) To beg for money in the streets.
4. What happens to the van den Meers' wealth at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) It increases drastically right after Margarethe marries into the family.
(b) It doesn't do much, since Margarethe is too cheap to buy anything nice.
(c) It ends up being stolen by the very guards hired to protect it.
(d) It is lost when the tulip market crashes.
5. What other major event happens the evening Rebekka dies?
(a) Ruth says her first word.
(b) Margarethe realizes she is pregnant.
(c) Margarethe confesses to poisoning Henrika.
(d) Van den Meer's boat of tulips arrives.
6. When she first arrives, what services does Margarethe offer the townspeople in exchange for food and housing?
(c) Anything she can think of.
7. What toy is Ruth given after the commotion in the marketplace when the Fishers first arrive?
(a) A yo-yo.
(b) A bouncing ball.
(c) A flute.
(d) A toy windmill.
8. What kind of visitors come to the van den Meers' house after Henrika's funeral?
(a) Potential suitors for Clara.
(b) Random people who want to see Clara's portrait.
(c) Tulip investors.
(d) Beggars who know Mr. Van den Meer has inherited a lot of money.
9. When Iris is sure Margarethe is going to punish her for trying to sneak Clara out, what does Iris receive instead?
(a) An extra loaf of bread with dinner.
(b) A piece of candy for being so brave.
(c) No attention whatsoever, as if nothing happened.
(d) Orders to fetch the midwife immediately.
10. What prompts Iris to try to get Clara out of the house in Chapter 2?
(a) Henrika finally gives her permission.
(b) Henrika is bedridden and won't be able to see them leave.
(c) Margarethe demands that Iris take Clara to the marketplace.
(d) Clara decides to ignore her mother's wishes and just walk out the front door.
11. What does Henrika die from?
(a) Starving herself out of protest.
(b) She stabs herself with a sharp blade.
(c) Complications from giving birth too early.
(d) She dies of natural causes.
12. What kind of paintings does Schoonmaker secretly paint?
(a) Paintings of maimed and deformed people.
(b) Paintings of nature.
(c) Modern, abstract paintings.
(d) Paintings with bad words hidden in them.
13. What role does Margarethe take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She cooks and cleans.
(b) She tends his garden.
(c) She sings all day to help him focus.
(d) She sews clothes for his shop.
14. What item is Iris given to work with on the first day of her apprenticeship?
(a) A seashell.
(b) A pound of very stale flour.
(c) A piece of red silk.
(d) A personalized bible.
15. When the book begins, from what country have the Fishers fled?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clara become so upset when van den Meer tells Margarethe that the hutsepot she makes for Lent is the best he's ever had?
2. Why is Iris worried about how Henrika and Margarethe interact?
3. What happens during Iris and Clara's attempts to get Clara out of the house?
4. Who is Luykas?
5. Who is Pieter ten Broek?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)