|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Clara become so upset when van den Meer tells Margarethe that the hutsepot she makes for Lent is the best he's ever had?
(a) Because Clara made it herself and wants the credit.
(b) Because he knows that Clara hates hutsepot more than anything.
(c) Because it is horrible and Clara knows he is lying.
(d) Because Clara wants her birth mother's dishes to always be remembered as the best.
2. What item does Iris actually steal in the marketplace?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) Some meat.
(c) A fish.
(d) A pear.
3. What do Caspar and Iris both believe lives in the highest part of the van den Meers' house?
(a) A sick relative.
(b) A hooded man.
(c) An imp.
(d) Strange animals.
4. Who is Clara?
(a) The ghost who lives in Schoonmaker's house.
(b) Van den Meer's beautiful young daughter.
(c) A street girl without a family.
(d) Caspar's sister.
5. Who eventually prevails in teaching Clara how to hem her own skirt?
(c) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
6. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She paints copies of his paintings.
(b) She sits so he can paint her.
(c) She fetches new paints for him.
(d) She gathers flowers for him every day.
7. When the book begins, from what country have the Fishers fled?
8. What ultimately leads Clara to leave the house on a regular basis with Iris and Ruth?
(a) Having to spend all day cleaning.
(b) Being left out of Ruth and Iris's fun adventures.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Having to spend all day with Margarethe.
9. What does Clara believe happened at the windmill?
(a) She used to play there with her father when she was very little.
(b) She was born there.
(c) She used to help her father sell flowers there as a child.
(d) She was turned into a changeling there.
10. Who is The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies?
(a) An old, hairy woman who wanders around town.
(b) The nickname the townspeople have given to Ruth.
(c) The name of the ghost that lives in the Van den Meer's attic.
(d) The nickname the townspeople have given to Margarethe.
11. Right before the unveiling of the painting the Master created for van den Meer, what does Margarethe call Clara that sends Clara into a screaming rage?
(a) A spoiled brat.
(c) A doll.
(d) A changeling.
12. What does Henrika die from?
(a) Starving herself out of protest.
(b) She stabs herself with a sharp blade.
(c) She dies of natural causes.
(d) Complications from giving birth too early.
13. After Henrika's death, what is her portrait replaced with in the van den Meers' household?
(a) A portrait of tulips.
(b) The portrait of Clara.
(c) A portrait of Margarethe.
(d) Henrika's portrait is never replaced.
14. What has happened to Pieter ten Broek?
(a) He is in an insane asylum.
(b) He has lost his job with the church and is very poor now.
(c) He has moved to America.
(d) He has died.
15. What role does Iris take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She stands outside holding an advertisement for his business.
(b) She makes her famous biscuits every morning.
(c) She scrubs the floors every other day.
(d) She sits so he can paint her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ruth initially described in the novel?
2. When the town's river freezes over, how do Clara and Iris share their one pair of skates?
3. Who is Caspar?
4. After Rebekka's death, what does Margarethe worry has happened to the household?
5. What item does Ruth try to steal in the marketplace?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)