Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they are young, what does Clara tell Iris is the only thing that makes her happy?
(a) Learning English from Iris.
(b) Listening to her father play the piano.
(c) Being alone in her room.
(d) Spending time in her private garden.
2. What does Schoonmaker prefer the Fishers call him?
3. What is kermis?
(a) The nickname Margarethe calls Clara behind her back.
(b) A religious practice that only girls are allowed to do.
(c) The last day before Lent begins.
(d) A type of Dutch dress.
4. Who eventually prevails in teaching Clara how to hem her own skirt?
(b) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
5. When the book begins, who is the narrator?
(a) A man named Incubus.
(b) An older woman who is partially crippled.
(c) A man named Caspar.
(d) A reporter.
6. When the town's river freezes over, how do Clara and Iris share their one pair of skates?
(a) They take turns using the skates.
(b) They decide not to use them at all.
(c) Clara lets Iris use them both as a special treat.
(d) Each girl takes one skate apiece.
7. What does Henrika die from?
(a) Starving herself out of protest.
(b) She stabs herself with a sharp blade.
(c) Complications from giving birth too early.
(d) She dies of natural causes.
8. How does the Master respond to the success of his painting of Clara?
(a) He starts being mean to everyone around him.
(b) He becomes depressed.
(c) He is very proud and excited.
(d) He becomes incredibly wealthy.
9. What item does Ruth try to steal in the marketplace?
(a) A pear.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A fish.
(d) Some meat.
10. What argument does Margarethe use to convince van den Meer that he should marry her?
(a) That she has a family inheritance of her own.
(b) That she will otherwise not stay to just cook and clean for free.
(c) That she loves him very much.
(d) That it would be best for Clara and her reputation.
11. After Rebekka's death, what does Margarethe worry has happened to the household?
(a) That the plague has been introduced.
(b) That, because Iris can now read and write, she will outsmart her own mother.
(c) That all of their money has been stolen.
(d) That Mr. van den Meer will divorce her and leave everyone homeless.
12. Henrika and Margarethe usually get along:
(a) They never see each other.
(b) Sometimes really well and sometimes not very well at all.
(c) Perfectly -- they quickly become best friends.
(d) Not very well at all.
13. Why are the Master and Caspar invited over for dinner with the newly formed van den Meer family?
(a) Margarethe wants to show off her new family.
(b) The Master has been asked to paint a family portrait.
(c) Caspar is going to propose to Iris.
(d) Margarethe wants to be rude and show the Master that she is happier with Mr. Van den Meer.
14. After the Master's painting is met with great success, what does he ask Margarethe?
(a) If she will move back in with him.
(b) If she will teach him how to paint like they do in England.
(c) To adopt Iris.
(d) To adopt Ruth.
15. What catches Iris's eye about Schoonmaker's lodgings?
(a) The lovely flowers on his front lawn.
(b) How poor his family seems to be.
(c) The vivid colors she sees through the window.
(d) The beautiful windows in the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Luykas?
2. Does Iris ever find an imp in the van den Meers' household?
3. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
4. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
5. What do Caspar and Iris both believe lives in the highest part of the van den Meers' house?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)