|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What toy is Ruth given after the commotion in the marketplace when the Fishers first arrive?
(a) A yo-yo.
(b) A toy windmill.
(c) A bouncing ball.
(d) A flute.
2. Why is Iris worried about how Henrika and Margarethe interact?
(a) She thinks they are becoming too friendly.
(b) She doesn't want Clara to begin to feel ignored.
(c) She doesn't want Henrika to kick out the Fishers.
(d) She worries Henrika is getting all of her mother's attention.
3. When the book begins, from what country have the Fishers fled?
4. How is Margarethe initially described in the novel?
(a) As strict and careworn.
(b) As optimistic and kind.
(c) As silent and strong.
(d) As stubborn and rude.
5. What is the name of the painting the Master creates for van den Meer?
(a) Clara, My Beloved.
(b) Young Woman with Tulips.
(c) Girl with Flowers by a Window.
(d) Young Woman with Two Lips.
6. What famous fairy tale does Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister depend on the reader being familiar with?
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
(d) Peter Pan.
7. Right before the evening when her painting is unveiled, what cruel thing does Clara say to Iris when Iris comes to try to coax her out of her bedroom?
(a) That she is too dumb to be important to anyone.
(b) That she's just being kept around to make Clara look prettier.
(c) That she is hideously ugly and will never be anything.
(d) That her father is dead so she can't relate to how she feels.
8. What is kermis?
(a) The nickname Margarethe calls Clara behind her back.
(b) The last day before Lent begins.
(c) A religious practice that only girls are allowed to do.
(d) A type of Dutch dress.
9. When she first arrives, what services does Margarethe offer the townspeople in exchange for food and housing?
(b) Anything she can think of.
10. How is Iris initially described in the novel?
(a) As beautiful and loving.
(b) As shy and unable/unwilling to speak.
(c) As mentally impaired and hard to control.
(d) As conscientious and unattractive.
11. What happens during Iris and Clara's attempts to get Clara out of the house?
(a) Iris panics and changes her mind.
(b) Ruth tells on them.
(c) Henrika catches them before they can get very far.
(d) Clara panics and changes her mind.
12. Who eventually prevails in teaching Clara how to hem her own skirt?
(b) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
13. When Clara is young and throwing fits, which character is the only person who is able to pull her out of her fitful state?
14. What kind of paintings does Schoonmaker secretly paint?
(a) Paintings with bad words hidden in them.
(b) Modern, abstract paintings.
(c) Paintings of maimed and deformed people.
(d) Paintings of nature.
15. What does Iris think of Caspar's paintings of Ruth?
(a) That the colors are very, very ugly.
(b) That they are horribly ugly.
(c) That they don't portray Ruth truthfully.
(d) That they are accurate but flattering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the town say is the cause of Henrika's health issues?
2. What item is Iris given to work with on the first day of her apprenticeship?
3. What role does Margarethe take in Schoonmaker's household?
4. What other major event happens the evening Rebekka dies?
5. What role does Iris take in Schoonmaker's household?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)