|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Iris propose getting Clara out of the house?
(a) By sneaking her out in a wheelbarrow.
(b) By hiding her underneath Ruth's biggest dress.
(c) By sneaking out at night when no one is awake.
(d) By just having her walk out the front door.
2. Who is the American equivalent of Sinter Klaas, the person for whom the girls leave their shoes out one night?
(a) Sister Klass, the patron saint of candy.
(b) The tooth fairy.
(c) There is no equivalent for this figure.
(d) Santa Claus.
3. What good news does van den Meer receive from an investment partner about his investment?
(a) That his paintings are still safe in the museum.
(b) That most of his rare books somehow survived a fire.
(c) That the ship has only been delayed, not lost.
(d) That the jewels have been found.
4. After the successful unveiling of the painting of Clara, what does Margarethe ask Mr. van den Meer for?
(a) Better living arrangements.
(b) For the chance for Iris to go to school.
(c) A stipend.
(d) To be released from her job.
5. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
(a) She knows about a secret trapdoor.
(b) Her initials appear to have been carved into the side of the building long ago.
(c) She has a key for the front door on a necklace.
(d) She knows a secret way inside.
6. When the town's river freezes over, how do Clara and Iris share their one pair of skates?
(a) Each girl takes one skate apiece.
(b) They take turns using the skates.
(c) Clara lets Iris use them both as a special treat.
(d) They decide not to use them at all.
7. What health problems does Henrika begin to develop in Chapter 2?
(a) She begins to lose her eyesight.
(b) She begins to have a very difficult pregnancy.
(c) She begins to go insane.
(d) She has such bad pains in her legs that she can't walk anymore.
8. What does the town say is the cause of Henrika's health issues?
(a) That Margarethe is secretly poisoning her.
(b) That something demonic resides in the house at night.
(c) That she is cruel so God is treating her cruelly.
(d) That she is too wealthy so she is being punished for not sharing her wealth.
9. Right before the evening when her painting is unveiled, what cruel thing does Clara say to Iris when Iris comes to try to coax her out of her bedroom?
(a) That her father is dead so she can't relate to how she feels.
(b) That she's just being kept around to make Clara look prettier.
(c) That she is hideously ugly and will never be anything.
(d) That she is too dumb to be important to anyone.
10. What happens during Iris and Clara's attempts to get Clara out of the house?
(a) Iris panics and changes her mind.
(b) Clara panics and changes her mind.
(c) Henrika catches them before they can get very far.
(d) Ruth tells on them.
11. What other major event happens the evening Rebekka dies?
(a) Van den Meer's boat of tulips arrives.
(b) Margarethe realizes she is pregnant.
(c) Ruth says her first word.
(d) Margarethe confesses to poisoning Henrika.
12. What happens to the van den Meers' wealth at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) It increases drastically right after Margarethe marries into the family.
(b) It ends up being stolen by the very guards hired to protect it.
(c) It doesn't do much, since Margarethe is too cheap to buy anything nice.
(d) It is lost when the tulip market crashes.
13. Who is The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies?
(a) The nickname the townspeople have given to Ruth.
(b) An old, hairy woman who wanders around town.
(c) The name of the ghost that lives in the Van den Meer's attic.
(d) The nickname the townspeople have given to Margarethe.
14. After Henrika's death, what is her portrait replaced with in the van den Meers' household?
(a) The portrait of Clara.
(b) A portrait of Margarethe.
(c) Henrika's portrait is never replaced.
(d) A portrait of tulips.
15. When the book begins, from what country have the Fishers fled?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does Clara have to the windmill?
2. How is Ruth initially described in the novel?
3. What does the Master call Mr. van den Meer that crosses a line of acceptability?
4. How does van den Meer plan on revealing the painting he commissioned?
5. How are Ruth and Iris related?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)