|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Clara?
(a) Van den Meer's beautiful young daughter.
(b) A street girl without a family.
(c) Caspar's sister.
(d) The ghost who lives in Schoonmaker's house.
2. What prompts Iris to try to get Clara out of the house in Chapter 2?
(a) Margarethe demands that Iris take Clara to the marketplace.
(b) Henrika is bedridden and won't be able to see them leave.
(c) Henrika finally gives her permission.
(d) Clara decides to ignore her mother's wishes and just walk out the front door.
3. What reaction does Clara have to the windmill?
(a) She is grateful for its water fountain.
(b) She instantly decides she wants to move there.
(c) She seems to remember it from long ago.
(d) She finds it very dirty.
4. What kind of paintings does Schoonmaker secretly paint?
(a) Modern, abstract paintings.
(b) Paintings of maimed and deformed people.
(c) Paintings of nature.
(d) Paintings with bad words hidden in them.
5. Right before the unveiling of the painting the Master created for van den Meer, what does Margarethe call Clara that sends Clara into a screaming rage?
(a) A doll.
(c) A spoiled brat.
(d) A changeling.
6. Why are the Master and Caspar invited over for dinner with the newly formed van den Meer family?
(a) The Master has been asked to paint a family portrait.
(b) Caspar is going to propose to Iris.
(c) Margarethe wants to show off her new family.
(d) Margarethe wants to be rude and show the Master that she is happier with Mr. Van den Meer.
7. What good news does van den Meer receive from an investment partner about his investment?
(a) That most of his rare books somehow survived a fire.
(b) That the ship has only been delayed, not lost.
(c) That his paintings are still safe in the museum.
(d) That the jewels have been found.
8. What has happened to Pieter ten Broek?
(a) He has moved to America.
(b) He is in an insane asylum.
(c) He has died.
(d) He has lost his job with the church and is very poor now.
9. What does Iris think of Caspar's paintings of Ruth?
(a) That they are horribly ugly.
(b) That they don't portray Ruth truthfully.
(c) That they are accurate but flattering.
(d) That the colors are very, very ugly.
10. What ultimately leads Clara to leave the house on a regular basis with Iris and Ruth?
(a) Being left out of Ruth and Iris's fun adventures.
(b) Having to spend all day cleaning.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Having to spend all day with Margarethe.
11. Who is Rebekka?
(a) A young girl Iris befriended in the neighborhood.
(b) A cook hired to help in the van den Meer household.
(c) Margarethe's long-lost sister.
(d) A girl who has a condition similar to Ruth's.
12. What secret does Margarethe know about Henrika?
(a) That Henrika is pregnant.
(b) That Henrika is having an affair.
(c) That Henrika is hiding money.
(d) That Clara isn't actually Mr. Van den Meer's son.
13. After the Fishers flee their homeland, who are they expecting will house and feed them?
(a) The girls' long-lost father.
(b) Margarethe's grandfather.
(c) Nuns in a local church.
(d) Margarethe's brother.
14. What does the Master call Mr. van den Meer that crosses a line of acceptability?
(a) An adulterer.
(b) A fraud.
(c) A hen-pecked husband.
(d) A money-hungry lump.
15. Right before the evening when her painting is unveiled, what cruel thing does Clara say to Iris when Iris comes to try to coax her out of her bedroom?
(a) That her father is dead so she can't relate to how she feels.
(b) That she's just being kept around to make Clara look prettier.
(c) That she is hideously ugly and will never be anything.
(d) That she is too dumb to be important to anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Clara and Iris decide to stop into the windmill while out ice skating?
2. What is the financial situation of the van den Meers when the Fishers move in with them?
3. What does Schoonmaker prefer the Fishers call him?
4. Who is Caspar?
5. When the book begins, who is the narrator?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)