|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Iris ever find an imp in the van den Meers' household?
(a) She finds evidence of it but not the actual imp itself.
(b) She sees it running down the street one night but is unable to catch it.
2. Before the large dinner party where his painting of Clara is revealed, what does the Master do to help comfort Ruth?
(a) He speaks softly to her.
(b) He hums her favorite songs.
(c) He presents her with a painting of her own.
(d) He holds her hand.
3. What argument does Margarethe use to convince van den Meer that he should marry her?
(a) That she has a family inheritance of her own.
(b) That she loves him very much.
(c) That it would be best for Clara and her reputation.
(d) That she will otherwise not stay to just cook and clean for free.
4. After the successful unveiling of the painting of Clara, what does Margarethe ask Mr. van den Meer for?
(a) Better living arrangements.
(b) To be released from her job.
(c) A stipend.
(d) For the chance for Iris to go to school.
5. What does Iris find most frustrating about her apprenticeship on the first day?
(a) That she is worse with a needle and thread than she originally thought.
(b) That she is far more advanced than the town baker.
(c) That she has no interest in a religious life after all.
(d) That she cannot immediately draw well.
6. What health problems does Henrika begin to develop in Chapter 2?
(a) She has such bad pains in her legs that she can't walk anymore.
(b) She begins to go insane.
(c) She begins to lose her eyesight.
(d) She begins to have a very difficult pregnancy.
7. How is Margarethe initially described in the novel?
(a) As strict and careworn.
(b) As stubborn and rude.
(c) As optimistic and kind.
(d) As silent and strong.
8. When Iris is sure Margarethe is going to punish her for trying to sneak Clara out, what does Iris receive instead?
(a) No attention whatsoever, as if nothing happened.
(b) A piece of candy for being so brave.
(c) Orders to fetch the midwife immediately.
(d) An extra loaf of bread with dinner.
9. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
(a) She knows a secret way inside.
(b) She knows about a secret trapdoor.
(c) She has a key for the front door on a necklace.
(d) Her initials appear to have been carved into the side of the building long ago.
10. When they are young, what does Clara tell Iris is the only thing that makes her happy?
(a) Learning English from Iris.
(b) Listening to her father play the piano.
(c) Spending time in her private garden.
(d) Being alone in her room.
11. Who is going to throw a ball?
(a) The mayor's wife.
(b) Marie de Medici.
(c) The mayor of Haarlem.
12. What secret does Margarethe know about Henrika?
(a) That Clara isn't actually Mr. Van den Meer's son.
(b) That Henrika is having an affair.
(c) That Henrika is pregnant.
(d) That Henrika is hiding money.
13. When the book begins, who is the narrator?
(a) A man named Caspar.
(b) A man named Incubus.
(c) A reporter.
(d) An older woman who is partially crippled.
14. What reaction does Clara have to the windmill?
(a) She instantly decides she wants to move there.
(b) She finds it very dirty.
(c) She seems to remember it from long ago.
(d) She is grateful for its water fountain.
15. What good news does van den Meer receive from an investment partner about his investment?
(a) That most of his rare books somehow survived a fire.
(b) That his paintings are still safe in the museum.
(c) That the jewels have been found.
(d) That the ship has only been delayed, not lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Iris and Margarethe a little afraid Schoonmaker will ask Iris to do when they first start working together?
2. What kind of visitors come to the van den Meers' house after Henrika's funeral?
3. After his wife dies, what investment does van den Meer worry has been lost?
4. What does Iris think of Caspar's paintings of Ruth?
5. What does Schoonmaker prefer the Fishers call him?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)