|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Master respond to the success of his painting of Clara?
(a) He becomes depressed.
(b) He is very proud and excited.
(c) He starts being mean to everyone around him.
(d) He becomes incredibly wealthy.
2. After her mother's death, why is Clara forced to leave the house?
(a) To attend her mother's funeral.
(b) To go shopping in the marketplace.
(c) Because Margarethe demands she do it.
(d) Because her father wants to flee with her in the middle of the night.
3. Does Iris ever find an imp in the van den Meers' household?
(a) She finds evidence of it but not the actual imp itself.
(b) She sees it running down the street one night but is unable to catch it.
4. When Iris is sure Margarethe is going to punish her for trying to sneak Clara out, what does Iris receive instead?
(a) No attention whatsoever, as if nothing happened.
(b) An extra loaf of bread with dinner.
(c) Orders to fetch the midwife immediately.
(d) A piece of candy for being so brave.
5. What happens during Iris and Clara's attempts to get Clara out of the house?
(a) Iris panics and changes her mind.
(b) Henrika catches them before they can get very far.
(c) Clara panics and changes her mind.
(d) Ruth tells on them.
6. What reaction does Clara have to the windmill?
(a) She finds it very dirty.
(b) She is grateful for its water fountain.
(c) She instantly decides she wants to move there.
(d) She seems to remember it from long ago.
7. What famous fairy tale does Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister depend on the reader being familiar with?
(a) Peter Pan.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
8. Who is Clara?
(a) Caspar's sister.
(b) The ghost who lives in Schoonmaker's house.
(c) A street girl without a family.
(d) Van den Meer's beautiful young daughter.
9. What role does Ruth take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She fetches new paints for him.
(b) She sits so he can paint her.
(c) She paints copies of his paintings.
(d) She gathers flowers for him every day.
10. Who does Iris eventually go to apprentice with, after much protest?
(a) The town baker.
(b) The town seamstress.
(c) The nuns in the church next door.
(d) Caspar and the Master.
11. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
(a) A fancy silk handkerchief.
(b) A letter.
(c) A pastry.
(d) A toy windmill.
12. What catches Iris's eye about Schoonmaker's lodgings?
(a) The vivid colors she sees through the window.
(b) How poor his family seems to be.
(c) The beautiful windows in the church.
(d) The lovely flowers on his front lawn.
13. Who is Schoonmaker?
(a) A long-lost relative of Margarethe's.
(b) A priest.
(c) A painter in the village.
(d) A city boy who helps them find the road.
14. What happens to Rebekka?
(a) She is fired for teaching Iris how to read and write.
(b) She steals money from the van den Meers.
(c) She ends up having an affair with Mr. van den Meer.
(d) She drops dead from the plague while in the van den Meer kitchen.
15. When she first arrives, what services does Margarethe offer the townspeople in exchange for food and housing?
(a) Anything she can think of.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Clara and Iris decide to stop into the windmill while out ice skating?
2. Before the large dinner party where his painting of Clara is revealed, what does the Master do to help comfort Ruth?
3. What city do the Fishers flee to?
4. What kind of paintings does Schoonmaker secretly paint?
5. Who is Luykas?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)