|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the large dinner party where his painting of Clara is revealed, what does the Master do to help comfort Ruth?
(a) He hums her favorite songs.
(b) He speaks softly to her.
(c) He presents her with a painting of her own.
(d) He holds her hand.
2. When Clara is young and throwing fits, which character is the only person who is able to pull her out of her fitful state?
3. What happens during Iris and Clara's attempts to get Clara out of the house?
(a) Clara panics and changes her mind.
(b) Ruth tells on them.
(c) Henrika catches them before they can get very far.
(d) Iris panics and changes her mind.
4. What is the financial situation of the van den Meers when the Fishers move in with them?
(a) The van den Meers are neither rich nor poor.
(b) The van den Meers are on the brink of poverty.
(c) The van den Meers are very wealthy.
(d) The van den Meers are poor now, but expect to get more money.
5. What health problems does Henrika begin to develop in Chapter 2?
(a) She begins to go insane.
(b) She begins to have a very difficult pregnancy.
(c) She has such bad pains in her legs that she can't walk anymore.
(d) She begins to lose her eyesight.
6. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
(a) A toy windmill.
(b) A fancy silk handkerchief.
(c) A pastry.
(d) A letter.
7. What city do the Fishers flee to?
(a) The reader never learns the name of the city.
8. When Iris is sure Margarethe is going to punish her for trying to sneak Clara out, what does Iris receive instead?
(a) A piece of candy for being so brave.
(b) An extra loaf of bread with dinner.
(c) No attention whatsoever, as if nothing happened.
(d) Orders to fetch the midwife immediately.
9. What argument does Margarethe use to convince van den Meer that he should marry her?
(a) That it would be best for Clara and her reputation.
(b) That she will otherwise not stay to just cook and clean for free.
(c) That she has a family inheritance of her own.
(d) That she loves him very much.
10. Who is Pieter ten Broek?
(a) A priest in a local church.
(b) The girls' long-lost father.
(c) Margarethe's grandfather.
(d) Margarethe's brother.
11. What worries Iris about the Master's "I am going to ruin you yet" comment while he is working on his painting of Clara?
(a) She doesn't know to whom he is referring.
(b) She thinks he is referring to Margarethe.
(c) She thinks he is going to commit suicide.
(d) She worries he is planning to kill Mr. Van den Meer.
12. What does Iris think of Caspar's paintings of Ruth?
(a) That the colors are very, very ugly.
(b) That they are horribly ugly.
(c) That they are accurate but flattering.
(d) That they don't portray Ruth truthfully.
13. What item does Iris actually steal in the marketplace?
(a) Some meat.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A fish.
(d) A pear.
14. What item is Iris given to work with on the first day of her apprenticeship?
(a) A pound of very stale flour.
(b) A seashell.
(c) A piece of red silk.
(d) A personalized bible.
15. What are Iris and Margarethe a little afraid Schoonmaker will ask Iris to do when they first start working together?
(a) To beg for money in the streets.
(b) To do very hard, physical labor even though she is very young.
(c) To spend all day in a very hot kitchen.
(d) To pose naked while he paints her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Schoonmaker?
2. Who is Caspar?
3. What catches Iris's eye about Schoonmaker's lodgings?
4. What happens to the van den Meers' wealth at the end of Chapter 3?
5. Does Iris ever find an imp in the van den Meers' household?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)