|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 The Girl of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Iris take in Schoonmaker's household?
(a) She scrubs the floors every other day.
(b) She stands outside holding an advertisement for his business.
(c) She makes her famous biscuits every morning.
(d) She sits so he can paint her.
2. What items does Margarethe give Iris to give the Van den Meers when she is sent over to their household for the first time?
(a) A toy windmill.
(b) A pastry.
(c) A fancy silk handkerchief.
(d) A letter.
3. Who is Rebekka?
(a) A cook hired to help in the van den Meer household.
(b) Margarethe's long-lost sister.
(c) A girl who has a condition similar to Ruth's.
(d) A young girl Iris befriended in the neighborhood.
4. What happens to the van den Meers' wealth at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) It doesn't do much, since Margarethe is too cheap to buy anything nice.
(b) It is lost when the tulip market crashes.
(c) It ends up being stolen by the very guards hired to protect it.
(d) It increases drastically right after Margarethe marries into the family.
5. What is kermis?
(a) A religious practice that only girls are allowed to do.
(b) The nickname Margarethe calls Clara behind her back.
(c) A type of Dutch dress.
(d) The last day before Lent begins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to throw a ball?
2. What secret does Margarethe know about Henrika?
3. What does Iris find most frustrating about her apprenticeship on the first day?
4. What piece of information does Clara have about the windmill that makes Iris believe her story?
5. What are Iris and Margarethe a little afraid Schoonmaker will ask Iris to do when they first start working together?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)