|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
2. When the men finish reading the books, what does Monet say?
3. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
4. How successful is Emma's introduction of the long handled broom?
5. Who behaves incorrectly at the performance and causes the Asians consternation?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 21, MacWhite writes a letter to the Secretary of State and lists six suggestions for changes in the State Department procedures. Pick any two of the six and detail how this change would make a difference in how the USA is perceived by people in other countries.
Essay Topic 2
Both Homer Atkins and Tom Knox propose small projects over large grandiose schemes. Why? Doesn't a country need roads and dams to make progress? What is more important to a villager in a third world country? List the basic needs that a person has on earth, i.e., food and shelter, and choose one. Write how the absence of that one basic need can change a person's outlook about what is important.
Essay Topic 3
Why do the American newspapers cited in the book so neglectful about reporting news from countries other than our own? What would be the advantage of American citizens learning about other cultures? What would this knowledge do to assist someone living in your town?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)