|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
2. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
3. What organization does U Maung Swe speak of that provided aid in an acceptable manner?
4. Who does Hillandale charm at the dinner and therefore make more progress in one night than the embassy has made in months?
5. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you have just received an assignment from the State Department and you will be working in Laos for two years. What is your expectation today in the way of training and preparation from the State Department. How did will that differ from the training and preparation in the 1950s and 1960s, according to this book?
Essay Topic 2
Both Homer Atkins and Tom Knox propose small projects over large grandiose schemes. Why? Doesn't a country need roads and dams to make progress? What is more important to a villager in a third world country? List the basic needs that a person has on earth, i.e., food and shelter, and choose one. Write how the absence of that one basic need can change a person's outlook about what is important.
Essay Topic 3
The ideology of communism is identified in this book as America's worst enemy. Why? How does communism differ from democracy? What rights and freedoms are denied communist countries, and why is this important? What do the authors believe is the best way to combat communism and keep it from spreading?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)