|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the main requests MacWhite makes for a change of policy in foreign service personnel?
2. What does U Maung Swe recommend to MacWhite?
3. What project does MacWhite give Atkins to work on?
4. Senator Brown wanted to talk to real soldiers and natives. Who did he talk to?
5. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Donald and Roger are revealed by Li Pang to be longtime undercover spies for the communists. What embassy attitudes assisted these men in accomplishing their goals? Why were they so successful in keeping their positions at the Embassy without being discovered?
Essay Topic 2
What countries in today's world does America have difficulty understanding? List at least three. What could be done by the American government or individuals to overcome these barriers and reach a peaceful level of communication?
Essay Topic 3
Both Homer Atkins and Tom Knox propose small projects over large grandiose schemes. Why? Doesn't a country need roads and dams to make progress? What is more important to a villager in a third world country? List the basic needs that a person has on earth, i.e., food and shelter, and choose one. Write how the absence of that one basic need can change a person's outlook about what is important.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)