|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atkins decide to build?
2. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
3. What do the authors say substitute training in selection of ambassadors for American embassies?
4. Who does Homer Atkins bring with him when he moves to Sarkhan?
5. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you have just received an assignment from the State Department and you will be working in Laos for two years. What is your expectation today in the way of training and preparation from the State Department. How did will that differ from the training and preparation in the 1950s and 1960s, according to this book?
Essay Topic 2
List in detail the reasons why Louis Sears was: 1) an ineffective Ambassador, 2) an ineffective personnel manager, 3) a bad communicator, and 4) politically incorrect by today's standards.
Essay Topic 3
Why do the American newspapers cited in the book so neglectful about reporting news from countries other than our own? What would be the advantage of American citizens learning about other cultures? What would this knowledge do to assist someone living in your town?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)