|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When MacWhite writes his letter to the Secretary of State, how many Americans does he say have been through the embassy and how many were valuable in the struggle against communism?
2. What are the main requests MacWhite makes for a change of policy in foreign service personnel?
3. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
4. What project does MacWhite give Atkins to work on?
5. The authors say America will lose its freedom not in a nuclear cataclysm but how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed description of the motives and purpose of two of these people, and their impact on the country they lived in: Emma Atkins, Marie MacIntosh, John Colvin, Joe Bing
Essay Topic 2
Why was Louis Sears so successful in his career through the political process in America, and Gilbert MacWhite forced to resign? Is this fair? Do you think this method of promoting unqualified people is going on today as well?
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail what you believe the authors meant when they said "We believe that a nuclear cataclysm is unlikely, but that our free life well may be lost in a succession of bits and fragments."
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)