|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new Ambassador to Sarkhan?
2. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
3. Who is Thomas Elmer Knox?
4. What disturbs Knox about the Conference he is attending?
5. When the men finish reading the books, what does Monet say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you have just received an assignment from the State Department and you will be working in Laos for two years. What is your expectation today in the way of training and preparation from the State Department. How did will that differ from the training and preparation in the 1950s and 1960s, according to this book?
Essay Topic 2
The ideology of communism is identified in this book as America's worst enemy. Why? How does communism differ from democracy? What rights and freedoms are denied communist countries, and why is this important? What do the authors believe is the best way to combat communism and keep it from spreading?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Louis Sears so successful in his career through the political process in America, and Gilbert MacWhite forced to resign? Is this fair? Do you think this method of promoting unqualified people is going on today as well?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)