|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does U Maung Swe suggest America send to foreign lands instead of clueless executives?
2. What idea does Emma give him regarding the pump?
3. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
4. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
5. What does Atkins recommend instead of dams and roads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book is "The Ugly American," and in every chapter, there is someone who fits this description, when defining "ugly" in more than the traditional sense. Review each chapter and define how the main character was "ugly." In Chapter 1, it is Louis Sears, calling the natives strange little monkeys. In Chapter 13, it is the State Department. Prepare a list with the name of the "ugly" person or entity and explain by what definition they are ugly.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Father Finian in detail, beginning with his physical appearance, and then his ideals, goals, methods and thought processes. Was he an effective tool against communism in Burma? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail what you believe the authors meant when they said "We believe that a nuclear cataclysm is unlikely, but that our free life well may be lost in a succession of bits and fragments."
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)