|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interferes with Hillandale and causes this progress to be lost?
(c) Joe Bing
(d) George Swift
2. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
(a) Large mansion on the river
(b) Small cottage with pressed earth floors
(c) Quonset hut from the USA
(d) Sturdy double-wide trailer
3. What was Senator Brown's conclusion after his tiring trip?
(a) The communists are making serious inroads into Southeast Asia
(b) Embassy procedures need a serious renovation
(c) Everything is just as the embassy says it is
(d) Americans should not be allowed to travel to Southeast Asia
4. What does U Maung Swe recommend to MacWhite?
(a) Bring John Colvin back to Sarkahn
(b) Resign from the foreign service
(c) Obtain a chinese mistress
(d) Allow the communists to take over
5. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
(a) Mao Tse-tung
(b) James Michener
(c) Robert Ludlum
(d) Chiang Kai-Shek
6. The authors say the American embassies overseas are so busy trying to entertain visiting American VIP's that they resemble what?
(c) Tourist agencies
7. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
(a) To find a new wife and new home
(b) To discover new recipes
(c) To search out his family's origins
(d) To determine the truth of the American situation there
8. What are the main requests MacWhite makes for a change of policy in foreign service personnel?
(a) Bring only military style clothes, restrict travel within the country, and no fraternization with natives
(b) Reduce pay for servants, limit the number of parties per week, and ride bicycles to work
(c) Better training as cooks, recruit blonde women only, and raise the salary of the Ambassador
(d) Learn the language of the country assigned to, commit to two years, no luxuries, no private autos, be well versed in communism ideology
9. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
(b) The dignity of freedom
10. What does Atkins recommend instead of dams and roads?
(a) A munitions plant and a dress factory
(b) A chicken farm and a water pump factory
(c) A brick factory and a canning plant
(d) Interstate highways and rest stops
11. What was Asch's first clue that something was distracting Boning?
(a) Boning was missing from the conference
(b) Boning was dozing during the conference and answering the questions slowly
(c) Boning was drinking too much coffee at the conference
(d) Boning was taking his shoes off during the conference
12. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
(a) None are acceptable, and he is being replaced as Ambassador to Sarkhan
(b) The suggestions are approved and put into practice within one year
(c) MacWhite is sent to Cambodia on a fact-finding mission
(d) The suggestions are welcomed and MacWhite is asked to accept the position of Secretary of State
13. Who is Jonathon Brown?
(a) Marie MacIntosh's uncle
(b) American Senator
(c) Gilbert MacWhite's assistant secretary
(d) Joe Bing's brother in law
14. Who do Wolchek, MacWhite and Monet have to answer to for their successful battle against the Communists?
(a) The King of Siam
(b) American Major General, two French Admirals and four French generals
(c) The Congress of the USA
(d) The Vietnamese general staff
15. Who does Hillandale charm at the dinner and therefore make more progress in one night than the embassy has made in months?
(a) Joe Bing
(b) Mao Tse-Tung
(c) Gilbert MacWhite
(d) The Prime Minister of Sarkhan
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Homer Atkins choose to partner with on the pump manufacturing?
2. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
3. Why didn't Emma just order American brooms and hand them out?
4. What is the common problem of the village elderly?
5. What is the surprise weapon the men decide to use against the Communists?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)