|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Homer Atkins bring with him when he moves to Sarkhan?
(a) His wife, Emma
(b) Louis Sears
(c) Joe Bing
2. What was Senator Brown's conclusion after his tiring trip?
(a) The communists are making serious inroads into Southeast Asia
(b) Embassy procedures need a serious renovation
(c) Americans should not be allowed to travel to Southeast Asia
(d) Everything is just as the embassy says it is
3. What disturbs Knox about the Conference he is attending?
(a) There are no other Americans at the conference
(b) The proposals for further aid are for ambitious military plans
(c) He cannot speak Cambodian
(d) There is insufficient American food available
4. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
5. What does Emma do to introduce the longer handled brooms?
(a) She buys time on the local television station for an advertisement
(b) Finds a local reed that will work and uses it herself in front of the villagers
(c) She hires a salesperson to peddle the new invention
(d) She opens her own store
6. How successful is Emma's introduction of the long handled broom?
(a) A new type of broom is named after her
(b) Four years later she receives a letter saying none of the elderly have bent backs
(c) It is a complete failure and she loses her investment
(d) The villagers buy her a vacuum cleaner
7. What is Knox told when he proposes to bring in more roosters and chickens to Cambodia?
(a) This is a great idea and you have our full support
(b) The money could be better spent on cattle
(c) The money could be better spent on military plans
(d) We are turning your proposals over to a committee
8. Who is Homer Atkins?
(a) Gilbert MacWhite's accountant
(b) Joe Bing's brother in law
(c) An American construction engineer brought to VietNam to decide where dams and roads should be built
(d) Marie MacIntosh's father
9. What does U Maung Swe say is the reason America has lost its prestige in Asia?
(a) Ther Americans do not pay the servants well
(b) Americans are too poor to travel to Asia
(c) The Americans who are stationed in foreign lands are isolated, loud and ostentatious
(d) The Americans are too short
10. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
(d) The dignity of freedom
11. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
(a) I was asked to leave the country
(b) I wanted to find a Cambodian wife
(c) I like people and chickens.
(d) I am interested in becoming a communist
12. What event does Hillandale get invited to soon after arriving in Sarkhan?
(a) Dinner at the Phillipines Embassy
(b) A reception honoing Donald and Roger
(c) Dinner at Marie MacIntosh's house
(d) A going away party for Louis Sears
13. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Perfume and silk shops
(b) Shoe and dress shops
(c) Palmistry and astrology establishments
(d) Shops that sell guns and knives
14. What does Atkins recommend instead of dams and roads?
(a) A munitions plant and a dress factory
(b) A brick factory and a canning plant
(c) A chicken farm and a water pump factory
(d) Interstate highways and rest stops
15. What is the common problem of the village elderly?
(a) Their teeth have fallen out
(b) They cannot speak English
(c) They are grossly overweight
(d) Backs are curved and they walk bent over
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the main requests MacWhite makes for a change of policy in foreign service personnel?
2. How does the Vietnam ambassador prepare for the Senator's visit?
3. How does Atkins surprise the committee?
4. Who is U Maung Swe?
5. Who is Solomon Asch?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)