|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does U Maung Swe recommend to MacWhite?
(a) Allow the communists to take over
(b) Resign from the foreign service
(c) Obtain a chinese mistress
(d) Bring John Colvin back to Sarkahn
2. How long does the conference go well before there are problems?
(a) 2 weeks
(b) 6 weeks
(c) 4 hours
(d) 2 days
3. Why does Asch think it is necessary that his delegation answers the questions firmly and quickly?
(a) To save time
(b) To please the Soviets
(c) To avoid an air of condescension
(d) To save money
4. What event does Hillandale get invited to soon after arriving in Sarkhan?
(a) Dinner at the Phillipines Embassy
(b) A reception honoing Donald and Roger
(c) A going away party for Louis Sears
(d) Dinner at Marie MacIntosh's house
5. Who is Homer Atkins?
(a) Joe Bing's brother in law
(b) Marie MacIntosh's father
(c) An American construction engineer brought to VietNam to decide where dams and roads should be built
(d) Gilbert MacWhite's accountant
6. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Palmistry and astrology establishments
(b) Shoe and dress shops
(c) Shops that sell guns and knives
(d) Perfume and silk shops
7. Who is Thomas Elmer Knox?
(a) An embassy official who is in charge of preparing for official USA visits
(b) A Cambodian native who is running for President
(c) An American poultry farmer who assisted Cambodian farmers by teaching them about their chickens
(d) The founder of Knox Farms
8. How does Atkins surprise the committee?
(a) By announcing his plans to become communist
(b) By demonstrating a long handled broom
(c) By telling them the Communists have built a huge road in the jungle that runs the length of the country
(d) By falling asleep during the proceedings
9. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
(a) I was asked to leave the country
(b) I like people and chickens.
(c) I am interested in becoming a communist
(d) I wanted to find a Cambodian wife
10. What Senate Committee does he chair?
(a) Ways and Means
(b) Foreign Affairs
(c) Judicial Review
(d) Armament & Manpower
11. What are the main requests MacWhite makes for a change of policy in foreign service personnel?
(a) Bring only military style clothes, restrict travel within the country, and no fraternization with natives
(b) Reduce pay for servants, limit the number of parties per week, and ride bicycles to work
(c) Better training as cooks, recruit blonde women only, and raise the salary of the Ambassador
(d) Learn the language of the country assigned to, commit to two years, no luxuries, no private autos, be well versed in communism ideology
12. What is the real reason MacWhite is being replaced as an Ambassador?
(a) He told the truth about conditions in Asia and the truth was different from the official government line
(b) He became a Buddhist
(c) He angered the Sarkhanese government
(d) He announced he was defecting to the Soviet Union
13. What was the reaction of Wolcheck and Monet's superiors to the details of the battle?
(a) They promised to take the suggestions under advisement
(b) They were shocked and decided to reprimand them for going against everything the men had been taught in the military
(c) They appluded the men and promoted them
(d) They were given bonuses in their next paychecks
14. What does MacWhite ask Atkins to do?
(a) Return to the United States
(b) Move to Sarkhan
(c) Leave the room
(d) Move to Burma
15. What organization does U Maung Swe speak of that provided aid in an acceptable manner?
(b) The Ford Foundation
(c) Union Carbide
(d) The Gates Foundation
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hillandale charm at the dinner and therefore make more progress in one night than the embassy has made in months?
2. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
3. When fighting an enemy that has superior numbers, what does Mao say is the key to success?
4. What does the Phillipine Ambassador ask Hillandale to do at the dinner?
5. What is Knox told when he proposes to bring in more roosters and chickens to Cambodia?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)