|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Emma just order American brooms and hand them out?
(a) There is no Fed Ex office in the area
(b) The villagers would not have accepted them
(c) Homer tells her it is not important
(d) She cannot afford it
2. What does Emma do to introduce the longer handled brooms?
(a) She buys time on the local television station for an advertisement
(b) She opens her own store
(c) She hires a salesperson to peddle the new invention
(d) Finds a local reed that will work and uses it herself in front of the villagers
3. What does the Phillipine Ambassador ask Hillandale to do at the dinner?
(a) To perform as a palmist and astrologer
(b) To make the welcoming speech
(c) To serve the dessert
(d) To act as an interpreter
4. What does Emma decide is actually the problem?
(a) The villagers need to read more books
(b) People are using short handled brooms
(c) Someone is beating the elderly people
(d) It is a genetic defect in the villagers
5. What was the cause of Captain Boning's distraction?
(a) He was watching television all night
(b) He was spending every night with a Chinese woman and not sleeping
(c) He was in financial trouble
(d) He was ill with dysentary
6. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
(a) Robert Ludlum
(b) James Michener
(c) Chiang Kai-Shek
(d) Mao Tse-tung
7. Who does Homer Atkins bring with him when he moves to Sarkhan?
(a) Louis Sears
(b) His wife, Emma
(d) Joe Bing
8. Who is Solomon Asch?
(a) Head of the American Delegation to the Special Armament section of the Asia Conference?
(b) The Ambassdor to Sarkhan from the Soviet Union
(c) Head of the Sarkhanese Delegation to the Special Armament section of the Asian Conference
(d) A Chinese offical in Vietnam
9. Why does Asch think it is necessary that his delegation answers the questions firmly and quickly?
(a) To save money
(b) To save time
(c) To avoid an air of condescension
(d) To please the Soviets
10. How does the Vietnam ambassador prepare for the Senator's visit?
(a) By hiring a public relations person for the trip
(b) By erecting a statue to the Senator on embassy grounds
(c) By repainting the embassy
(d) By engineering every facet of the visit to make the embassy look good
11. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Shoe and dress shops
(b) Palmistry and astrology establishments
(c) Perfume and silk shops
(d) Shops that sell guns and knives
12. What does Knox decide to do?
(a) Forget the enitre operation
(b) Take his plans directly to the Congress of USA
(c) Start a new project with cattle
(d) Take his plans directly to the communists
13. What does Atkins recommend instead of dams and roads?
(a) A brick factory and a canning plant
(b) A munitions plant and a dress factory
(c) Interstate highways and rest stops
(d) A chicken farm and a water pump factory
14. When fighting an enemy that has superior numbers, what does Mao say is the key to success?
(a) Mobility and the use of darkness
(b) Well fed troops who are promoted often
(c) Firepower and wealth
(d) Foreign aid and intelligence
15. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
(a) To find a new wife and new home
(b) To search out his family's origins
(c) To discover new recipes
(d) To determine the truth of the American situation there
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the conference go well before there are problems?
2. When the first sales person returns with orders for the pump, how many does he have?
3. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
4. Who interferes with Hillandale and causes this progress to be lost?
5. What event does Hillandale get invited to soon after arriving in Sarkhan?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)