|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
(a) James Michener
(b) Mao Tse-tung
(c) Chiang Kai-Shek
(d) Robert Ludlum
2. Who is Homer Atkins?
(a) Marie MacIntosh's father
(b) An American construction engineer brought to VietNam to decide where dams and roads should be built
(c) Joe Bing's brother in law
(d) Gilbert MacWhite's accountant
3. What are the main requests MacWhite makes for a change of policy in foreign service personnel?
(a) Learn the language of the country assigned to, commit to two years, no luxuries, no private autos, be well versed in communism ideology
(b) Bring only military style clothes, restrict travel within the country, and no fraternization with natives
(c) Reduce pay for servants, limit the number of parties per week, and ride bicycles to work
(d) Better training as cooks, recruit blonde women only, and raise the salary of the Ambassador
4. What does Knox decide to do?
(a) Forget the enitre operation
(b) Start a new project with cattle
(c) Take his plans directly to the communists
(d) Take his plans directly to the Congress of USA
5. What other branch of the government is stationed in foregin lands and also lacks the ability to communicate in the language of the people that surround them?
6. What does Atkins decide to build?
(a) Man powered water pump
(b) A large house
(c) A road that extends from one end of the country to the other
(d) A multi-layered chicken coop
7. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
(a) The suggestions are approved and put into practice within one year
(b) None are acceptable, and he is being replaced as Ambassador to Sarkhan
(c) MacWhite is sent to Cambodia on a fact-finding mission
(d) The suggestions are welcomed and MacWhite is asked to accept the position of Secretary of State
8. Who is U Maung Swe?
(a) One of Father Finian's friends
(b) The best known journalist in Burma
(c) General in the Sarkhanese Army
(d) UN Secretary
9. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
10. Why is he called ugly?
(a) His language is always peppered with obscenities
(b) His appearance is not attractive
(c) It is his nickname from childhood
(d) His feet are unusually large
11. Who does Homer Atkins bring with him when he moves to Sarkhan?
(b) Louis Sears
(c) His wife, Emma
(d) Joe Bing
12. Why does Asch think it is necessary that his delegation answers the questions firmly and quickly?
(a) To avoid an air of condescension
(b) To please the Soviets
(c) To save time
(d) To save money
13. Why didn't Emma just order American brooms and hand them out?
(a) Homer tells her it is not important
(b) There is no Fed Ex office in the area
(c) She cannot afford it
(d) The villagers would not have accepted them
14. What is the surprise weapon the men decide to use against the Communists?
(a) A female spy
(b) An atomic bomb
(c) AK-47s and Uzis
(d) A rocket truck
15. Senator Brown wanted to talk to real soldiers and natives. Who did he talk to?
(a) Only people placed by the embassy
(b) Actors and actresses
(c) Real soldiers and natives
(d) Embassy staff and their spouses
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma decide is actually the problem?
2. What was Asch's first clue that something was distracting Boning?
3. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
4. What event does Hillandale get invited to soon after arriving in Sarkhan?
5. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)