|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who behaves incorrectly at the performance and causes the Asians consternation?
(a) Joe Bing
(c) George Swift
2. How successful is Emma's introduction of the long handled broom?
(a) A new type of broom is named after her
(b) It is a complete failure and she loses her investment
(c) Four years later she receives a letter saying none of the elderly have bent backs
(d) The villagers buy her a vacuum cleaner
3. What is Finian's Station?
(a) The second most popular television channel in Sarkhan
(b) A cozy cafe near the embassy in Sarkhan
(c) The name of the volunteer fire station in Homer Atkins' village
(d) A non-denominational college for Sarkhanese students attending on a four year scholarship
4. What happens to Knox's plan?
(a) He presents the plan to Congress and it is approved
(b) After being provided with every conceivable luxury and fed lies about the conditions of Cambodia, he loses the sense of urgency.
(c) He presents the plan to the Communists and they erect a statue in his honor
(d) The plan is turned into a novel by William Faulkner
5. Who is U Maung Swe?
(a) General in the Sarkhanese Army
(b) One of Father Finian's friends
(c) The best known journalist in Burma
(d) UN Secretary
6. What does U Maung Swe recommend to MacWhite?
(a) Allow the communists to take over
(b) Obtain a chinese mistress
(c) Resign from the foreign service
(d) Bring John Colvin back to Sarkahn
7. What project does MacWhite give Atkins to work on?
(a) Create a way for Sarkhanese people to get water from the hills
(b) Building dams and roads in Sarkhan
(c) Discover who Donald and Roger are reporting to in the communist party
(d) Finding an assignment for John Colvin
8. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
(a) To discover new recipes
(b) To search out his family's origins
(c) To find a new wife and new home
(d) To determine the truth of the American situation there
9. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
(d) The dignity of freedom
10. What other branch of the government is stationed in foregin lands and also lacks the ability to communicate in the language of the people that surround them?
11. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
(a) The suggestions are approved and put into practice within one year
(b) MacWhite is sent to Cambodia on a fact-finding mission
(c) None are acceptable, and he is being replaced as Ambassador to Sarkhan
(d) The suggestions are welcomed and MacWhite is asked to accept the position of Secretary of State
12. When the men finish reading the books, what does Monet say?
(a) Mao is right and we have been wrong
(b) Mao needs to see a counselor
(c) Let us begin a book club for the villagers
(d) The French methods of war are better
13. Who is Homer Atkins?
(a) Marie MacIntosh's father
(b) Gilbert MacWhite's accountant
(c) An American construction engineer brought to VietNam to decide where dams and roads should be built
(d) Joe Bing's brother in law
14. What do the authors say substitute training in selection of ambassadors for American embassies?
(a) Personal wealth, political loyalty and the ability to stay out of trouble
(b) Language skills and a background in psychology
(c) Standing up for what is right and voicing an opinion
(d) Anglo-american names, corporate connections and social skills
15. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Shops that sell guns and knives
(b) Perfume and silk shops
(c) Palmistry and astrology establishments
(d) Shoe and dress shops
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Emma just order American brooms and hand them out?
2. What was the cause of Captain Boning's distraction?
3. What disturbs Knox about the Conference he is attending?
4. The authors say the American embassies overseas are so busy trying to entertain visiting American VIP's that they resemble what?
5. What does Atkins decide to build?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)