|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Emma asks the villagers what causes this problem, what is their answer?
(a) This is what happens when people get old
(b) It is punishment for sins they have committed
(c) It is caused by the water from the well
(d) It is caused by the altitude
2. What was the reaction of Wolcheck and Monet's superiors to the details of the battle?
(a) They appluded the men and promoted them
(b) They were given bonuses in their next paychecks
(c) They promised to take the suggestions under advisement
(d) They were shocked and decided to reprimand them for going against everything the men had been taught in the military
3. What does U Maung Swe recommend to MacWhite?
(a) Obtain a chinese mistress
(b) Bring John Colvin back to Sarkahn
(c) Resign from the foreign service
(d) Allow the communists to take over
4. Who is the new Ambassador to Sarkhan?
(a) Joe Bing
(b) Homer Atkins
(d) Marie MacIntosh
5. Who does Homer Atkins choose to partner with on the pump manufacturing?
(a) Gilbert MacWhite
(b) A local villager named Jeepo
(c) Joe Bing
(d) Henry Knox
6. What organization does U Maung Swe speak of that provided aid in an acceptable manner?
(a) The Ford Foundation
(b) The Gates Foundation
(c) Union Carbide
7. Why didn't Emma just order American brooms and hand them out?
(a) She cannot afford it
(b) There is no Fed Ex office in the area
(c) The villagers would not have accepted them
(d) Homer tells her it is not important
8. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
9. What does Emma decide is actually the problem?
(a) The villagers need to read more books
(b) Someone is beating the elderly people
(c) People are using short handled brooms
(d) It is a genetic defect in the villagers
10. When fighting an enemy that has superior numbers, what does Mao say is the key to success?
(a) Firepower and wealth
(b) Well fed troops who are promoted often
(c) Mobility and the use of darkness
(d) Foreign aid and intelligence
11. Why is he called ugly?
(a) It is his nickname from childhood
(b) His appearance is not attractive
(c) His language is always peppered with obscenities
(d) His feet are unusually large
12. What does U Maung Swe say is the reason America has lost its prestige in Asia?
(a) The Americans are too short
(b) Ther Americans do not pay the servants well
(c) The Americans who are stationed in foreign lands are isolated, loud and ostentatious
(d) Americans are too poor to travel to Asia
13. What do the authors say substitute training in selection of ambassadors for American embassies?
(a) Anglo-american names, corporate connections and social skills
(b) Language skills and a background in psychology
(c) Standing up for what is right and voicing an opinion
(d) Personal wealth, political loyalty and the ability to stay out of trouble
14. What was Senator Brown's conclusion after his tiring trip?
(a) The communists are making serious inroads into Southeast Asia
(b) Embassy procedures need a serious renovation
(c) Americans should not be allowed to travel to Southeast Asia
(d) Everything is just as the embassy says it is
15. What event does Hillandale get invited to soon after arriving in Sarkhan?
(a) A reception honoing Donald and Roger
(b) A going away party for Louis Sears
(c) Dinner at the Phillipines Embassy
(d) Dinner at Marie MacIntosh's house
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Vietnam ambassador prepare for the Senator's visit?
2. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
3. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
4. When the first sales person returns with orders for the pump, how many does he have?
5. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)