|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The authors say America will lose its freedom not in a nuclear cataclysm but how?
(a) not with a bang but a whimper
(b) In a succession of bits and fragments
(c) In a long protracted war with the Soviets
(d) Through global warming
2. What was the reaction of Wolcheck and Monet's superiors to the details of the battle?
(a) They appluded the men and promoted them
(b) They promised to take the suggestions under advisement
(c) They were given bonuses in their next paychecks
(d) They were shocked and decided to reprimand them for going against everything the men had been taught in the military
3. What is the surprise weapon the men decide to use against the Communists?
(a) A rocket truck
(b) AK-47s and Uzis
(c) A female spy
(d) An atomic bomb
4. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
(a) Mao Tse-tung
(b) Chiang Kai-Shek
(c) Robert Ludlum
(d) James Michener
5. Who does Homer Atkins choose to partner with on the pump manufacturing?
(a) A local villager named Jeepo
(b) Joe Bing
(c) Henry Knox
(d) Gilbert MacWhite
6. What project does MacWhite give Atkins to work on?
(a) Discover who Donald and Roger are reporting to in the communist party
(b) Building dams and roads in Sarkhan
(c) Create a way for Sarkhanese people to get water from the hills
(d) Finding an assignment for John Colvin
7. Why does Asch think it is necessary that his delegation answers the questions firmly and quickly?
(a) To save time
(b) To please the Soviets
(c) To avoid an air of condescension
(d) To save money
8. What does Atkins recommend instead of dams and roads?
(a) Interstate highways and rest stops
(b) A munitions plant and a dress factory
(c) A brick factory and a canning plant
(d) A chicken farm and a water pump factory
9. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
(a) Small cottage with pressed earth floors
(b) Sturdy double-wide trailer
(c) Quonset hut from the USA
(d) Large mansion on the river
10. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
11. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Perfume and silk shops
(b) Shops that sell guns and knives
(c) Shoe and dress shops
(d) Palmistry and astrology establishments
12. When the men finish reading the books, what does Monet say?
(a) The French methods of war are better
(b) Let us begin a book club for the villagers
(c) Mao needs to see a counselor
(d) Mao is right and we have been wrong
13. What idea does Emma give him regarding the pump?
(a) To name it after a famous Sarkhanese general
(b) To paint it red white and blue
(c) To abandon it in favor of a telephone system
(d) To power it using bicycles
14. Senator Brown wanted to talk to real soldiers and natives. Who did he talk to?
(a) Embassy staff and their spouses
(b) Only people placed by the embassy
(c) Actors and actresses
(d) Real soldiers and natives
15. When Emma asks the villagers what causes this problem, what is their answer?
(a) It is caused by the altitude
(b) It is punishment for sins they have committed
(c) This is what happens when people get old
(d) It is caused by the water from the well
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thomas Elmer Knox?
2. Why didn't Emma just order American brooms and hand them out?
3. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
4. The authors say the American embassies overseas are so busy trying to entertain visiting American VIP's that they resemble what?
5. How successful is Emma's introduction of the long handled broom?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)