|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the main requests MacWhite makes for a change of policy in foreign service personnel?
(a) Reduce pay for servants, limit the number of parties per week, and ride bicycles to work
(b) Learn the language of the country assigned to, commit to two years, no luxuries, no private autos, be well versed in communism ideology
(c) Bring only military style clothes, restrict travel within the country, and no fraternization with natives
(d) Better training as cooks, recruit blonde women only, and raise the salary of the Ambassador
2. Who does Hillandale charm at the dinner and therefore make more progress in one night than the embassy has made in months?
(a) Mao Tse-Tung
(b) The Prime Minister of Sarkhan
(c) Joe Bing
(d) Gilbert MacWhite
3. What does MacWhite ask Atkins to do?
(a) Move to Burma
(b) Move to Sarkhan
(c) Return to the United States
(d) Leave the room
4. What Senate Committee does he chair?
(a) Armament & Manpower
(b) Ways and Means
(c) Foreign Affairs
(d) Judicial Review
5. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Palmistry and astrology establishments
(b) Perfume and silk shops
(c) Shoe and dress shops
(d) Shops that sell guns and knives
6. What was Asch's first clue that something was distracting Boning?
(a) Boning was drinking too much coffee at the conference
(b) Boning was missing from the conference
(c) Boning was taking his shoes off during the conference
(d) Boning was dozing during the conference and answering the questions slowly
7. What do the authors say substitute training in selection of ambassadors for American embassies?
(a) Standing up for what is right and voicing an opinion
(b) Language skills and a background in psychology
(c) Personal wealth, political loyalty and the ability to stay out of trouble
(d) Anglo-american names, corporate connections and social skills
8. Who is Homer Atkins?
(a) An American construction engineer brought to VietNam to decide where dams and roads should be built
(b) Joe Bing's brother in law
(c) Gilbert MacWhite's accountant
(d) Marie MacIntosh's father
9. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
(a) To search out his family's origins
(b) To find a new wife and new home
(c) To determine the truth of the American situation there
(d) To discover new recipes
10. What is the common problem of the village elderly?
(a) They cannot speak English
(b) They are grossly overweight
(c) Backs are curved and they walk bent over
(d) Their teeth have fallen out
11. Who is Thomas Elmer Knox?
(a) An embassy official who is in charge of preparing for official USA visits
(b) A Cambodian native who is running for President
(c) The founder of Knox Farms
(d) An American poultry farmer who assisted Cambodian farmers by teaching them about their chickens
12. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
13. What does Knox decide to do?
(a) Take his plans directly to the communists
(b) Start a new project with cattle
(c) Forget the enitre operation
(d) Take his plans directly to the Congress of USA
14. Why is he called ugly?
(a) His feet are unusually large
(b) His language is always peppered with obscenities
(c) It is his nickname from childhood
(d) His appearance is not attractive
15. What does Atkins recommend instead of dams and roads?
(a) A munitions plant and a dress factory
(b) A chicken farm and a water pump factory
(c) Interstate highways and rest stops
(d) A brick factory and a canning plant
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Vietnam ambassador prepare for the Senator's visit?
2. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
3. What organization does U Maung Swe speak of that provided aid in an acceptable manner?
4. Who is the new Ambassador to Sarkhan?
5. How does Atkins surprise the committee?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)