|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
(a) Items used to decorate Christmas Trees in the Sarkhanese homes
(b) News coverage of the Miss Sarkhan Pageant
(c) Promises to Burma of a mobile floating dredge which turned out to be a rusting old stationery dredge which even the Americans could not get to work
(d) Rotten produce flown in from San Francisco
2. Who is the new Ambassador to Sarkhan?
(a) Joe Bing
(b) Marie MacIntosh
(d) Homer Atkins
3. What is Finian's Station?
(a) A cozy cafe near the embassy in Sarkhan
(b) The second most popular television channel in Sarkhan
(c) The name of the volunteer fire station in Homer Atkins' village
(d) A non-denominational college for Sarkhanese students attending on a four year scholarship
4. Who does Hillandale charm at the dinner and therefore make more progress in one night than the embassy has made in months?
(a) Gilbert MacWhite
(b) Mao Tse-Tung
(c) Joe Bing
(d) The Prime Minister of Sarkhan
5. How long does the conference go well before there are problems?
(a) 2 days
(b) 4 hours
(c) 2 weeks
(d) 6 weeks
6. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
7. What does the Phillipine Ambassador ask Hillandale to do at the dinner?
(a) To make the welcoming speech
(b) To act as an interpreter
(c) To serve the dessert
(d) To perform as a palmist and astrologer
8. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
(a) MacWhite is sent to Cambodia on a fact-finding mission
(b) None are acceptable, and he is being replaced as Ambassador to Sarkhan
(c) The suggestions are welcomed and MacWhite is asked to accept the position of Secretary of State
(d) The suggestions are approved and put into practice within one year
9. What is the common problem of the village elderly?
(a) They cannot speak English
(b) They are grossly overweight
(c) Backs are curved and they walk bent over
(d) Their teeth have fallen out
10. What other branch of the government is stationed in foregin lands and also lacks the ability to communicate in the language of the people that surround them?
11. What idea does Emma give him regarding the pump?
(a) To name it after a famous Sarkhanese general
(b) To abandon it in favor of a telephone system
(c) To paint it red white and blue
(d) To power it using bicycles
12. Who is Boning?
(a) A Sarkhanese mechanic
(b) John Colvin's partner
(c) American Navy Captain assigned to the delegation
(d) An agricultural representative for the United States to Vietnam
13. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
(a) I am interested in becoming a communist
(b) I wanted to find a Cambodian wife
(c) I was asked to leave the country
(d) I like people and chickens.
14. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
(a) Chiang Kai-Shek
(b) James Michener
(c) Mao Tse-tung
(d) Robert Ludlum
15. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Shoe and dress shops
(b) Palmistry and astrology establishments
(c) Shops that sell guns and knives
(d) Perfume and silk shops
Short Answer Questions
1. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
2. Who do Wolchek, MacWhite and Monet have to answer to for their successful battle against the Communists?
3. What does Emma decide is actually the problem?
4. What does Knox decide to do?
5. Who does Homer Atkins choose to partner with on the pump manufacturing?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)