|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other branch of the government is stationed in foregin lands and also lacks the ability to communicate in the language of the people that surround them?
2. What was Senator Brown's conclusion after his tiring trip?
(a) Americans should not be allowed to travel to Southeast Asia
(b) Everything is just as the embassy says it is
(c) The communists are making serious inroads into Southeast Asia
(d) Embassy procedures need a serious renovation
3. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Palmistry and astrology establishments
(b) Perfume and silk shops
(c) Shoe and dress shops
(d) Shops that sell guns and knives
4. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
(a) Promises to Burma of a mobile floating dredge which turned out to be a rusting old stationery dredge which even the Americans could not get to work
(b) Items used to decorate Christmas Trees in the Sarkhanese homes
(c) Rotten produce flown in from San Francisco
(d) News coverage of the Miss Sarkhan Pageant
5. Who does Hillandale charm at the dinner and therefore make more progress in one night than the embassy has made in months?
(a) The Prime Minister of Sarkhan
(b) Gilbert MacWhite
(c) Mao Tse-Tung
(d) Joe Bing
6. Who behaves incorrectly at the performance and causes the Asians consternation?
(b) George Swift
(d) Joe Bing
7. How does the Vietnam ambassador prepare for the Senator's visit?
(a) By hiring a public relations person for the trip
(b) By repainting the embassy
(c) By erecting a statue to the Senator on embassy grounds
(d) By engineering every facet of the visit to make the embassy look good
8. What event does Hillandale get invited to soon after arriving in Sarkhan?
(a) Dinner at the Phillipines Embassy
(b) A going away party for Louis Sears
(c) Dinner at Marie MacIntosh's house
(d) A reception honoing Donald and Roger
9. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
(a) MacWhite is sent to Cambodia on a fact-finding mission
(b) The suggestions are approved and put into practice within one year
(c) The suggestions are welcomed and MacWhite is asked to accept the position of Secretary of State
(d) None are acceptable, and he is being replaced as Ambassador to Sarkhan
10. When fighting an enemy that has superior numbers, what does Mao say is the key to success?
(a) Well fed troops who are promoted often
(b) Firepower and wealth
(c) Foreign aid and intelligence
(d) Mobility and the use of darkness
11. What does Atkins decide to build?
(a) A large house
(b) A multi-layered chicken coop
(c) A road that extends from one end of the country to the other
(d) Man powered water pump
12. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
(a) To determine the truth of the American situation there
(b) To search out his family's origins
(c) To find a new wife and new home
(d) To discover new recipes
13. What is the real reason MacWhite is being replaced as an Ambassador?
(a) He became a Buddhist
(b) He announced he was defecting to the Soviet Union
(c) He angered the Sarkhanese government
(d) He told the truth about conditions in Asia and the truth was different from the official government line
14. What does Knox decide to do?
(a) Take his plans directly to the Congress of USA
(b) Start a new project with cattle
(c) Take his plans directly to the communists
(d) Forget the enitre operation
15. What is the surprise weapon the men decide to use against the Communists?
(a) AK-47s and Uzis
(b) A rocket truck
(c) An atomic bomb
(d) A female spy
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
2. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
3. What is the common problem of the village elderly?
4. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
5. Why is he called ugly?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)