|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Boning?
(a) An agricultural representative for the United States to Vietnam
(b) John Colvin's partner
(c) A Sarkhanese mechanic
(d) American Navy Captain assigned to the delegation
2. What does Atkins decide to build?
(a) A multi-layered chicken coop
(b) A large house
(c) A road that extends from one end of the country to the other
(d) Man powered water pump
3. Who does Homer Atkins bring with him when he moves to Sarkhan?
(a) Louis Sears
(b) His wife, Emma
(c) Joe Bing
4. What is Knox told when he proposes to bring in more roosters and chickens to Cambodia?
(a) The money could be better spent on cattle
(b) The money could be better spent on military plans
(c) This is a great idea and you have our full support
(d) We are turning your proposals over to a committee
5. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
6. Why didn't Emma just order American brooms and hand them out?
(a) She cannot afford it
(b) The villagers would not have accepted them
(c) There is no Fed Ex office in the area
(d) Homer tells her it is not important
7. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
(a) Sturdy double-wide trailer
(b) Quonset hut from the USA
(c) Small cottage with pressed earth floors
(d) Large mansion on the river
8. What was the cause of Captain Boning's distraction?
(a) He was spending every night with a Chinese woman and not sleeping
(b) He was ill with dysentary
(c) He was in financial trouble
(d) He was watching television all night
9. The authors say the American embassies overseas are so busy trying to entertain visiting American VIP's that they resemble what?
(a) Tourist agencies
10. What do the authors say substitute training in selection of ambassadors for American embassies?
(a) Standing up for what is right and voicing an opinion
(b) Anglo-american names, corporate connections and social skills
(c) Personal wealth, political loyalty and the ability to stay out of trouble
(d) Language skills and a background in psychology
11. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
(a) I like people and chickens.
(b) I was asked to leave the country
(c) I am interested in becoming a communist
(d) I wanted to find a Cambodian wife
12. What does Emma do to introduce the longer handled brooms?
(a) She hires a salesperson to peddle the new invention
(b) She buys time on the local television station for an advertisement
(c) She opens her own store
(d) Finds a local reed that will work and uses it herself in front of the villagers
13. What idea does Emma give him regarding the pump?
(a) To abandon it in favor of a telephone system
(b) To power it using bicycles
(c) To name it after a famous Sarkhanese general
(d) To paint it red white and blue
14. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
(a) To determine the truth of the American situation there
(b) To discover new recipes
(c) To find a new wife and new home
(d) To search out his family's origins
15. What is the common problem of the village elderly?
(a) Their teeth have fallen out
(b) They are grossly overweight
(c) Backs are curved and they walk bent over
(d) They cannot speak English
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Asch's first clue that something was distracting Boning?
2. When MacWhite writes his letter to the Secretary of State, how many Americans does he say have been through the embassy and how many were valuable in the struggle against communism?
3. When the first sales person returns with orders for the pump, how many does he have?
4. What does U Maung Swe say is the reason America has lost its prestige in Asia?
5. When fighting an enemy that has superior numbers, what does Mao say is the key to success?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)