|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Senate Committee does he chair?
(a) Ways and Means
(b) Foreign Affairs
(c) Judicial Review
(d) Armament & Manpower
2. Who is Jonathon Brown?
(a) Joe Bing's brother in law
(b) American Senator
(c) Gilbert MacWhite's assistant secretary
(d) Marie MacIntosh's uncle
3. When the first sales person returns with orders for the pump, how many does he have?
4. What is his original intention with his planned trip to southeast Asia?
(a) To determine the truth of the American situation there
(b) To search out his family's origins
(c) To discover new recipes
(d) To find a new wife and new home
5. Who does U Maung Swe suggest America send to foreign lands instead of clueless executives?
(a) Older people with bent backs
(b) Small children to work in the factories
(c) Young pretty girls to work in the embassies
(d) Regular American people who speak the language and have skills to offer the people.
6. What organization does U Maung Swe speak of that provided aid in an acceptable manner?
(a) Union Carbide
(b) The Gates Foundation
(d) The Ford Foundation
7. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
(a) James Michener
(b) Mao Tse-tung
(c) Robert Ludlum
(d) Chiang Kai-Shek
8. What do the authors say substitute training in selection of ambassadors for American embassies?
(a) Language skills and a background in psychology
(b) Standing up for what is right and voicing an opinion
(c) Anglo-american names, corporate connections and social skills
(d) Personal wealth, political loyalty and the ability to stay out of trouble
9. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
(b) The dignity of freedom
10. Who interferes with Hillandale and causes this progress to be lost?
(b) George Swift
(d) Joe Bing
11. What disturbs Knox about the Conference he is attending?
(a) The proposals for further aid are for ambitious military plans
(b) He cannot speak Cambodian
(c) There is insufficient American food available
(d) There are no other Americans at the conference
12. What was Asch's first clue that something was distracting Boning?
(a) Boning was drinking too much coffee at the conference
(b) Boning was taking his shoes off during the conference
(c) Boning was missing from the conference
(d) Boning was dozing during the conference and answering the questions slowly
13. How successful is Emma's introduction of the long handled broom?
(a) Four years later she receives a letter saying none of the elderly have bent backs
(b) A new type of broom is named after her
(c) The villagers buy her a vacuum cleaner
(d) It is a complete failure and she loses her investment
14. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
(a) The suggestions are approved and put into practice within one year
(b) None are acceptable, and he is being replaced as Ambassador to Sarkhan
(c) MacWhite is sent to Cambodia on a fact-finding mission
(d) The suggestions are welcomed and MacWhite is asked to accept the position of Secretary of State
15. What was Senator Brown's conclusion after his tiring trip?
(a) Embassy procedures need a serious renovation
(b) Everything is just as the embassy says it is
(c) Americans should not be allowed to travel to Southeast Asia
(d) The communists are making serious inroads into Southeast Asia
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
2. Who is Boning?
3. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
4. What event does Hillandale get invited to soon after arriving in Sarkhan?
5. What happens to Knox's plan?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)