|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the men finish reading the books, what does Monet say?
(a) The French methods of war are better
(b) Let us begin a book club for the villagers
(c) Mao needs to see a counselor
(d) Mao is right and we have been wrong
2. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
3. Why is he called ugly?
(a) His appearance is not attractive
(b) His feet are unusually large
(c) His language is always peppered with obscenities
(d) It is his nickname from childhood
4. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
(a) News coverage of the Miss Sarkhan Pageant
(b) Promises to Burma of a mobile floating dredge which turned out to be a rusting old stationery dredge which even the Americans could not get to work
(c) Rotten produce flown in from San Francisco
(d) Items used to decorate Christmas Trees in the Sarkhanese homes
5. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
(d) The dignity of freedom
6. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Shops that sell guns and knives
(b) Palmistry and astrology establishments
(c) Perfume and silk shops
(d) Shoe and dress shops
7. When fighting an enemy that has superior numbers, what does Mao say is the key to success?
(a) Mobility and the use of darkness
(b) Foreign aid and intelligence
(c) Firepower and wealth
(d) Well fed troops who are promoted often
8. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
(a) Small cottage with pressed earth floors
(b) Quonset hut from the USA
(c) Large mansion on the river
(d) Sturdy double-wide trailer
9. Who do Wolchek, MacWhite and Monet have to answer to for their successful battle against the Communists?
(a) The King of Siam
(b) The Congress of the USA
(c) American Major General, two French Admirals and four French generals
(d) The Vietnamese general staff
10. What event does Hillandale get invited to soon after arriving in Sarkhan?
(a) Dinner at Marie MacIntosh's house
(b) A reception honoing Donald and Roger
(c) Dinner at the Phillipines Embassy
(d) A going away party for Louis Sears
11. Senator Brown wanted to talk to real soldiers and natives. Who did he talk to?
(a) Real soldiers and natives
(b) Actors and actresses
(c) Only people placed by the embassy
(d) Embassy staff and their spouses
12. What are the main requests MacWhite makes for a change of policy in foreign service personnel?
(a) Learn the language of the country assigned to, commit to two years, no luxuries, no private autos, be well versed in communism ideology
(b) Better training as cooks, recruit blonde women only, and raise the salary of the Ambassador
(c) Bring only military style clothes, restrict travel within the country, and no fraternization with natives
(d) Reduce pay for servants, limit the number of parties per week, and ride bicycles to work
13. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
(a) I wanted to find a Cambodian wife
(b) I was asked to leave the country
(c) I like people and chickens.
(d) I am interested in becoming a communist
14. Who does Homer Atkins bring with him when he moves to Sarkhan?
(a) Louis Sears
(b) His wife, Emma
(d) Joe Bing
15. Who is U Maung Swe?
(a) The best known journalist in Burma
(b) UN Secretary
(c) One of Father Finian's friends
(d) General in the Sarkhanese Army
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interferes with Hillandale and causes this progress to be lost?
2. Who is Solomon Asch?
3. What happens to Knox's plan?
4. What was the cause of Captain Boning's distraction?
5. What is Finian's Station?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)