|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
(d) The dignity of freedom
2. What happens to Knox's plan?
(a) He presents the plan to Congress and it is approved
(b) The plan is turned into a novel by William Faulkner
(c) He presents the plan to the Communists and they erect a statue in his honor
(d) After being provided with every conceivable luxury and fed lies about the conditions of Cambodia, he loses the sense of urgency.
3. Who is Boning?
(a) An agricultural representative for the United States to Vietnam
(b) A Sarkhanese mechanic
(c) American Navy Captain assigned to the delegation
(d) John Colvin's partner
4. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Shops that sell guns and knives
(b) Perfume and silk shops
(c) Shoe and dress shops
(d) Palmistry and astrology establishments
5. What does Emma do to introduce the longer handled brooms?
(a) She buys time on the local television station for an advertisement
(b) She opens her own store
(c) She hires a salesperson to peddle the new invention
(d) Finds a local reed that will work and uses it herself in front of the villagers
6. What do the authors say substitute training in selection of ambassadors for American embassies?
(a) Language skills and a background in psychology
(b) Standing up for what is right and voicing an opinion
(c) Anglo-american names, corporate connections and social skills
(d) Personal wealth, political loyalty and the ability to stay out of trouble
7. What disturbs Knox about the Conference he is attending?
(a) The proposals for further aid are for ambitious military plans
(b) He cannot speak Cambodian
(c) There are no other Americans at the conference
(d) There is insufficient American food available
8. What was Asch's first clue that something was distracting Boning?
(a) Boning was missing from the conference
(b) Boning was drinking too much coffee at the conference
(c) Boning was dozing during the conference and answering the questions slowly
(d) Boning was taking his shoes off during the conference
9. The authors say America will lose its freedom not in a nuclear cataclysm but how?
(a) In a succession of bits and fragments
(b) not with a bang but a whimper
(c) Through global warming
(d) In a long protracted war with the Soviets
10. What example of "tinsel" does U Maung Swe offer?
(a) Promises to Burma of a mobile floating dredge which turned out to be a rusting old stationery dredge which even the Americans could not get to work
(b) Rotten produce flown in from San Francisco
(c) Items used to decorate Christmas Trees in the Sarkhanese homes
(d) News coverage of the Miss Sarkhan Pageant
11. When Emma asks the villagers what causes this problem, what is their answer?
(a) It is caused by the altitude
(b) It is punishment for sins they have committed
(c) This is what happens when people get old
(d) It is caused by the water from the well
12. What does Knox decide to do?
(a) Forget the enitre operation
(b) Start a new project with cattle
(c) Take his plans directly to the communists
(d) Take his plans directly to the Congress of USA
13. Who behaves incorrectly at the performance and causes the Asians consternation?
(c) Joe Bing
(d) George Swift
14. What is the surprise weapon the men decide to use against the Communists?
(a) AK-47s and Uzis
(b) A female spy
(c) An atomic bomb
(d) A rocket truck
15. The authors say the American embassies overseas are so busy trying to entertain visiting American VIP's that they resemble what?
(c) Tourist agencies
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Asch think it is necessary that his delegation answers the questions firmly and quickly?
2. What event does Hillandale get invited to soon after arriving in Sarkhan?
3. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
4. When the first sales person returns with orders for the pump, how many does he have?
5. Why is he called ugly?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)