|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The authors say America will lose its freedom not in a nuclear cataclysm but how?
(a) In a succession of bits and fragments
(b) not with a bang but a whimper
(c) In a long protracted war with the Soviets
(d) Through global warming
2. What does Knox decide to do?
(a) Take his plans directly to the Congress of USA
(b) Start a new project with cattle
(c) Take his plans directly to the communists
(d) Forget the enitre operation
3. How does Atkins surprise the committee?
(a) By demonstrating a long handled broom
(b) By telling them the Communists have built a huge road in the jungle that runs the length of the country
(c) By falling asleep during the proceedings
(d) By announcing his plans to become communist
4. What was the cause of Captain Boning's distraction?
(a) He was in financial trouble
(b) He was ill with dysentary
(c) He was watching television all night
(d) He was spending every night with a Chinese woman and not sleeping
5. When fighting an enemy that has superior numbers, what does Mao say is the key to success?
(a) Mobility and the use of darkness
(b) Foreign aid and intelligence
(c) Well fed troops who are promoted often
(d) Firepower and wealth
6. What does the Phillipine Ambassador ask Hillandale to do at the dinner?
(a) To act as an interpreter
(b) To make the welcoming speech
(c) To serve the dessert
(d) To perform as a palmist and astrologer
7. When the men finish reading the books, what does Monet say?
(a) Let us begin a book club for the villagers
(b) Mao needs to see a counselor
(c) The French methods of war are better
(d) Mao is right and we have been wrong
8. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
(a) Sturdy double-wide trailer
(b) Small cottage with pressed earth floors
(c) Quonset hut from the USA
(d) Large mansion on the river
9. What is the common problem of the village elderly?
(a) They are grossly overweight
(b) They cannot speak English
(c) Their teeth have fallen out
(d) Backs are curved and they walk bent over
10. Who does Hillandale charm at the dinner and therefore make more progress in one night than the embassy has made in months?
(a) Mao Tse-Tung
(b) The Prime Minister of Sarkhan
(c) Joe Bing
(d) Gilbert MacWhite
11. What does U Maung Swe say is the reason America has lost its prestige in Asia?
(a) Ther Americans do not pay the servants well
(b) The Americans who are stationed in foreign lands are isolated, loud and ostentatious
(c) The Americans are too short
(d) Americans are too poor to travel to Asia
12. What other branch of the government is stationed in foregin lands and also lacks the ability to communicate in the language of the people that surround them?
13. What does Atkins decide to build?
(a) A multi-layered chicken coop
(b) A road that extends from one end of the country to the other
(c) A large house
(d) Man powered water pump
14. What is Knox told when he proposes to bring in more roosters and chickens to Cambodia?
(a) This is a great idea and you have our full support
(b) The money could be better spent on cattle
(c) We are turning your proposals over to a committee
(d) The money could be better spent on military plans
15. What was Asch's first clue that something was distracting Boning?
(a) Boning was drinking too much coffee at the conference
(b) Boning was taking his shoes off during the conference
(c) Boning was missing from the conference
(d) Boning was dozing during the conference and answering the questions slowly
Short Answer Questions
1. When MacWhite writes his letter to the Secretary of State, how many Americans does he say have been through the embassy and how many were valuable in the struggle against communism?
2. What organization does U Maung Swe speak of that provided aid in an acceptable manner?
3. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
4. What is Finian's Station?
5. Why does Asch think it is necessary that his delegation answers the questions firmly and quickly?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)