|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How successful is Emma's introduction of the long handled broom?
(a) The villagers buy her a vacuum cleaner
(b) Four years later she receives a letter saying none of the elderly have bent backs
(c) A new type of broom is named after her
(d) It is a complete failure and she loses her investment
2. When fighting an enemy that has superior numbers, what does Mao say is the key to success?
(a) Mobility and the use of darkness
(b) Firepower and wealth
(c) Well fed troops who are promoted often
(d) Foreign aid and intelligence
3. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
(a) I wanted to find a Cambodian wife
(b) I am interested in becoming a communist
(c) I was asked to leave the country
(d) I like people and chickens.
4. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
(a) The suggestions are welcomed and MacWhite is asked to accept the position of Secretary of State
(b) MacWhite is sent to Cambodia on a fact-finding mission
(c) The suggestions are approved and put into practice within one year
(d) None are acceptable, and he is being replaced as Ambassador to Sarkhan
5. Why is he called ugly?
(a) His feet are unusually large
(b) His language is always peppered with obscenities
(c) It is his nickname from childhood
(d) His appearance is not attractive
6. Why didn't Emma just order American brooms and hand them out?
(a) Homer tells her it is not important
(b) There is no Fed Ex office in the area
(c) She cannot afford it
(d) The villagers would not have accepted them
7. When MacWhite writes his letter to the Secretary of State, how many Americans does he say have been through the embassy and how many were valuable in the struggle against communism?
(a) Over 300 people, only five valuable
(b) Over 10 people, none valuable
(c) Over 500 people, all valuable
(d) Over 300 peope, none valuable
8. When Hillandale visits the capital city of Sarkhan, what sort of shop does he notice outnumbers all the others?
(a) Palmistry and astrology establishments
(b) Shops that sell guns and knives
(c) Perfume and silk shops
(d) Shoe and dress shops
9. What does MacWhite ask Atkins to do?
(a) Leave the room
(b) Move to Burma
(c) Move to Sarkhan
(d) Return to the United States
10. What is the common problem of the village elderly?
(a) Backs are curved and they walk bent over
(b) They cannot speak English
(c) Their teeth have fallen out
(d) They are grossly overweight
11. The authors say the American embassies overseas are so busy trying to entertain visiting American VIP's that they resemble what?
(c) Tourist agencies
12. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
(c) The dignity of freedom
13. Who interferes with Hillandale and causes this progress to be lost?
(a) Joe Bing
(c) George Swift
14. What was the cause of Captain Boning's distraction?
(a) He was ill with dysentary
(b) He was watching television all night
(c) He was in financial trouble
(d) He was spending every night with a Chinese woman and not sleeping
15. What type of home does he choose in Sarkhan?
(a) Small cottage with pressed earth floors
(b) Large mansion on the river
(c) Sturdy double-wide trailer
(d) Quonset hut from the USA
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Homer Atkins choose to partner with on the pump manufacturing?
2. Who do Wolchek, MacWhite and Monet have to answer to for their successful battle against the Communists?
3. When Emma asks the villagers what causes this problem, what is their answer?
4. Who is Boning?
5. Who does U Maung Swe suggest America send to foreign lands instead of clueless executives?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)