|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Homer Atkins choose to partner with on the pump manufacturing?
(a) Henry Knox
(b) A local villager named Jeepo
(c) Joe Bing
(d) Gilbert MacWhite
2. What do the authors say substitute training in selection of ambassadors for American embassies?
(a) Language skills and a background in psychology
(b) Standing up for what is right and voicing an opinion
(c) Anglo-american names, corporate connections and social skills
(d) Personal wealth, political loyalty and the ability to stay out of trouble
3. Who is Jonathon Brown?
(a) Joe Bing's brother in law
(b) Marie MacIntosh's uncle
(c) Gilbert MacWhite's assistant secretary
(d) American Senator
4. What does Atkins decide to build?
(a) A large house
(b) Man powered water pump
(c) A road that extends from one end of the country to the other
(d) A multi-layered chicken coop
5. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
(a) MacWhite is sent to Cambodia on a fact-finding mission
(b) The suggestions are welcomed and MacWhite is asked to accept the position of Secretary of State
(c) The suggestions are approved and put into practice within one year
(d) None are acceptable, and he is being replaced as Ambassador to Sarkhan
6. What is the surprise weapon the men decide to use against the Communists?
(a) AK-47s and Uzis
(b) A rocket truck
(c) An atomic bomb
(d) A female spy
7. Senator Brown wanted to talk to real soldiers and natives. Who did he talk to?
(a) Only people placed by the embassy
(b) Actors and actresses
(c) Embassy staff and their spouses
(d) Real soldiers and natives
8. What does Atkins recommend instead of dams and roads?
(a) A chicken farm and a water pump factory
(b) A brick factory and a canning plant
(c) A munitions plant and a dress factory
(d) Interstate highways and rest stops
9. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
(a) I like people and chickens.
(b) I was asked to leave the country
(c) I wanted to find a Cambodian wife
(d) I am interested in becoming a communist
10. Who do Wolchek, MacWhite and Monet have to answer to for their successful battle against the Communists?
(a) The King of Siam
(b) The Congress of the USA
(c) American Major General, two French Admirals and four French generals
(d) The Vietnamese general staff
11. Who is Homer Atkins?
(a) Gilbert MacWhite's accountant
(b) Joe Bing's brother in law
(c) Marie MacIntosh's father
(d) An American construction engineer brought to VietNam to decide where dams and roads should be built
12. What is the real reason MacWhite is being replaced as an Ambassador?
(a) He announced he was defecting to the Soviet Union
(b) He became a Buddhist
(c) He told the truth about conditions in Asia and the truth was different from the official government line
(d) He angered the Sarkhanese government
13. What does Knox decide to do?
(a) Forget the enitre operation
(b) Take his plans directly to the communists
(c) Start a new project with cattle
(d) Take his plans directly to the Congress of USA
14. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
(b) The dignity of freedom
15. What does Emma decide is actually the problem?
(a) People are using short handled brooms
(b) It is a genetic defect in the villagers
(c) The villagers need to read more books
(d) Someone is beating the elderly people
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does Emma give him regarding the pump?
2. What was the reaction of Wolcheck and Monet's superiors to the details of the battle?
3. Who is the new Ambassador to Sarkhan?
4. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
5. What was Asch's first clue that something was distracting Boning?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)