|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
(a) The dignity of freedom
2. Who is U Maung Swe?
(a) General in the Sarkhanese Army
(b) One of Father Finian's friends
(c) The best known journalist in Burma
(d) UN Secretary
3. When the men finish reading the books, what does Monet say?
(a) Mao needs to see a counselor
(b) Let us begin a book club for the villagers
(c) The French methods of war are better
(d) Mao is right and we have been wrong
4. The authors say the American embassies overseas are so busy trying to entertain visiting American VIP's that they resemble what?
(c) Tourist agencies
5. What does Emma do to introduce the longer handled brooms?
(a) She hires a salesperson to peddle the new invention
(b) Finds a local reed that will work and uses it herself in front of the villagers
(c) She opens her own store
(d) She buys time on the local television station for an advertisement
6. Who is Jonathon Brown?
(a) American Senator
(b) Marie MacIntosh's uncle
(c) Gilbert MacWhite's assistant secretary
(d) Joe Bing's brother in law
7. How successful is Emma's introduction of the long handled broom?
(a) Four years later she receives a letter saying none of the elderly have bent backs
(b) The villagers buy her a vacuum cleaner
(c) It is a complete failure and she loses her investment
(d) A new type of broom is named after her
8. What Senate Committee does he chair?
(a) Ways and Means
(b) Foreign Affairs
(c) Armament & Manpower
(d) Judicial Review
9. What is Finian's Station?
(a) A non-denominational college for Sarkhanese students attending on a four year scholarship
(b) A cozy cafe near the embassy in Sarkhan
(c) The second most popular television channel in Sarkhan
(d) The name of the volunteer fire station in Homer Atkins' village
10. What does Knox decide to do?
(a) Forget the enitre operation
(b) Start a new project with cattle
(c) Take his plans directly to the communists
(d) Take his plans directly to the Congress of USA
11. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
(a) Mao Tse-tung
(b) James Michener
(c) Chiang Kai-Shek
(d) Robert Ludlum
12. Who is Thomas Elmer Knox?
(a) An American poultry farmer who assisted Cambodian farmers by teaching them about their chickens
(b) The founder of Knox Farms
(c) A Cambodian native who is running for President
(d) An embassy official who is in charge of preparing for official USA visits
13. Who is Boning?
(a) A Sarkhanese mechanic
(b) American Navy Captain assigned to the delegation
(c) John Colvin's partner
(d) An agricultural representative for the United States to Vietnam
14. What is the real reason MacWhite is being replaced as an Ambassador?
(a) He became a Buddhist
(b) He told the truth about conditions in Asia and the truth was different from the official government line
(c) He angered the Sarkhanese government
(d) He announced he was defecting to the Soviet Union
15. What was the reaction of Wolcheck and Monet's superiors to the details of the battle?
(a) They were shocked and decided to reprimand them for going against everything the men had been taught in the military
(b) They were given bonuses in their next paychecks
(c) They appluded the men and promoted them
(d) They promised to take the suggestions under advisement
Short Answer Questions
1. When Emma asks the villagers what causes this problem, what is their answer?
2. What disturbs Knox about the Conference he is attending?
3. What idea does Emma give him regarding the pump?
4. Who does Homer Atkins choose to partner with on the pump manufacturing?
5. What was Senator Brown's conclusion after his tiring trip?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)