|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Solomon Asch?
(a) Head of the American Delegation to the Special Armament section of the Asia Conference?
(b) Head of the Sarkhanese Delegation to the Special Armament section of the Asian Conference
(c) The Ambassdor to Sarkhan from the Soviet Union
(d) A Chinese offical in Vietnam
2. What does Knox say to the headman of the village when he is asked why he left America to come to Cambodia?
(a) I am interested in becoming a communist
(b) I was asked to leave the country
(c) I like people and chickens.
(d) I wanted to find a Cambodian wife
3. What does Emma do to introduce the longer handled brooms?
(a) Finds a local reed that will work and uses it herself in front of the villagers
(b) She opens her own store
(c) She buys time on the local television station for an advertisement
(d) She hires a salesperson to peddle the new invention
4. What does Knox decide to do?
(a) Take his plans directly to the communists
(b) Take his plans directly to the Congress of USA
(c) Forget the enitre operation
(d) Start a new project with cattle
5. What does Atkins recommend instead of dams and roads?
(a) Interstate highways and rest stops
(b) A munitions plant and a dress factory
(c) A chicken farm and a water pump factory
(d) A brick factory and a canning plant
6. What is the common problem of the village elderly?
(a) They cannot speak English
(b) They are grossly overweight
(c) Their teeth have fallen out
(d) Backs are curved and they walk bent over
7. What was Asch's first clue that something was distracting Boning?
(a) Boning was drinking too much coffee at the conference
(b) Boning was taking his shoes off during the conference
(c) Boning was dozing during the conference and answering the questions slowly
(d) Boning was missing from the conference
8. Whose books do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite study?
(a) James Michener
(b) Chiang Kai-Shek
(c) Mao Tse-tung
(d) Robert Ludlum
9. What is the State Department's reply to MacWhite's policy suggestions?
(a) The suggestions are approved and put into practice within one year
(b) MacWhite is sent to Cambodia on a fact-finding mission
(c) None are acceptable, and he is being replaced as Ambassador to Sarkhan
(d) The suggestions are welcomed and MacWhite is asked to accept the position of Secretary of State
10. What does MacWhite ask Atkins to do?
(a) Move to Sarkhan
(b) Move to Burma
(c) Return to the United States
(d) Leave the room
11. What is Finian's Station?
(a) The name of the volunteer fire station in Homer Atkins' village
(b) The second most popular television channel in Sarkhan
(c) A non-denominational college for Sarkhanese students attending on a four year scholarship
(d) A cozy cafe near the embassy in Sarkhan
12. What does the Phillipine Ambassador ask Hillandale to do at the dinner?
(a) To serve the dessert
(b) To act as an interpreter
(c) To make the welcoming speech
(d) To perform as a palmist and astrologer
13. Who does Hillandale charm at the dinner and therefore make more progress in one night than the embassy has made in months?
(a) The Prime Minister of Sarkhan
(b) Gilbert MacWhite
(c) Mao Tse-Tung
(d) Joe Bing
14. Why is he called ugly?
(a) His feet are unusually large
(b) His language is always peppered with obscenities
(c) His appearance is not attractive
(d) It is his nickname from childhood
15. Who is U Maung Swe?
(a) One of Father Finian's friends
(b) General in the Sarkhanese Army
(c) The best known journalist in Burma
(d) UN Secretary
Short Answer Questions
1. What does U Maung Swe recommend to MacWhite?
2. In 1958, what percentage of the Foreign Service officer corps could speak a language other than English?
3. What do the authors say substitute training in selection of ambassadors for American embassies?
4. The authors say America should stop selling guns and money and sell what instead?
5. What other branch of the government is stationed in foregin lands and also lacks the ability to communicate in the language of the people that surround them?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)