|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, "The Ugly American".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Upton describe Joe Bing to the audience?
(a) An expert at meeting natives face to face as equals
(b) A professional liar
(c) Totally unqualified for the job but the only person we could find
(d) An overweight, ignorant slob
2. Why is the newspaperman rejected as an applicant for foreign service?
(a) He already has a job
(b) He is not rich
(c) He once wrote an article criticizing the US government
(d) He is too old
3. How does Atkins surprise the committee?
(a) By demonstrating a long handled broom
(b) By announcing his plans to become communist
(c) By falling asleep during the proceedings
(d) By telling them the Communists have built a huge road in the jungle that runs the length of the country
4. What is the recruitment team's message to the audience regarding the necessity to learn foreign languages or deal with the natives of the country they are posted to?
(a) We are only accepting applications from those who already know the language
(b) You need a working knowledge of the language
(c) No need to learn the culture, just hang out with the Americans
(d) You must be fluent in the language before we can send you
5. Who is Homer Atkins?
(a) Joe Bing's brother in law
(b) Marie MacIntosh's father
(c) Gilbert MacWhite's accountant
(d) An American construction engineer brought to VietNam to decide where dams and roads should be built
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marie MacIntosh
2. What do Wolcheck, Monet and MacWhite decide to do?
3. What are the only expenses of the people assigned to foreign service?
4. Who is Major Tex Wolchek?
5. Why is he called ugly?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)