|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea does Pa say it is to throw money into the crowd?
2. What do the Captain and other guests do when Pa goes out?
3. What news does the messenger bring to Ma and Pa?
4. What does Ma tell Pa about his thoughts?
5. What does Ma think will happen if Pa succeeds with her plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ma and Manure think Pa should do know that he has the crown?
2. What does Ma tell him while she is pretending and how does he respond?
3. What can be said about the language that the characters of this novel use?
4. As Pa is leading the army on a march to Russia what is he complaining about?
5. What information does Ma share with the audience in her soliloquy?
6. What does the messenger bring news of and how does Pa respond to the news?
7. What does Ma want Pa to become and how does Pa feel about this?
8. Why does Pa call a meeting of his councilors?
9. Why does the king punish Buggerless and what is his punishment?
10. What does Pa say to his soldiers when they take refuge from the storm in a cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between the monologue and the aside? How does the author utilize both in the novel? What type of information is best for each type of dialogue device? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
How does the chaotic writing style used by the author help to make one of the play's key thematic points? Do you agree with this thematic point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is a soliloquy? What is it used for? How did the author use the soliloquy in this play? Do you think they were appropriate or inappropriate? Why or why not?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)