|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ma tell Pa about his thoughts?
2. Who does Buggerless fight with as Rosamund gets away?
3. What does Pa return with?
4. What do Ma and Manure want Pa to do with the money?
5. Which of the following is the best definition of a soliloquy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Pa, Ma and the captain discuss and what promise does Pa make to the captain?
2. Who are the two main characters and what are they discussing as the play opens?
3. How does Pa react to the king's offer and what does he give the king?
4. Why is Rosamund concerned about Wenceslas' safety?
5. How does the play open?
6. How does Pa act once the guests start arriving?
7. Why does Pa call a meeting of his councilors?
8. What happens once Buggerless and Rosamund arrive at the cavern in the hills?
9. What is the Polish army singing about and what does the sergeant drill them about?
10. How do Ma and Pa react to the information in the letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is it indicated that the main motivation in Pa's life is greed? Is Pa greedier than Ma? Why do you feel this way? Does Pa ever overcome his greediness? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the chaotic writing style used by the author help to make one of the play's key thematic points? Do you agree with this thematic point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between the monologue and the aside? How does the author utilize both in the novel? What type of information is best for each type of dialogue device? Why do you think this way?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)