|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the boys plan on going?
2. What does the advertisement of Glen Runciter suggest?
3. How does graffiti convey meaning?
4. What was the name of the market that Joe and Al visited?
5. What was the date on the paper at Joe's con-apt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a common experience among half-lifers?
2. What did Don Denny say about Joe's appearance, and why is this worrisome?
3. What is Runciter trying to do according to A?
4. What according to the advertisement does Ubik actually do?
5. Why does Ella help Joe?
6. What message was scrawled on the wall of the men's bathroom? How did Al interpret this?
7. What point does Joe make that gives Runciter pause for thought?
8. What is Glen's thoughts regarding the Prudence organizations?
9. How did Joe try to turn the carton of Ubik into a spray can?
10. What was the only thing that Joe decided would resist regression before anything else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Pat and Jory. How are they alike? How are they different? What kind of nature does each character have? How do they compliment each other well?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the repeated references to cigarettes in this novel. How does this relate to the culture of the day in which the novel was written? How have things changed in regards to the references to smoking in literature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novel from a religious point of view. How many things in the novel express a lack of religion on the part of the author? What kind of things could allude to a religion?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)