|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Joe supposed to go?
2. What did the person waiting in Joe's room give him?
3. Who does Joe now suspect is at work to destroy them?
4. How did Pat seem, watching Joe?
5. Who is paying for everything?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point does Joe make that gives Runciter pause for thought?
2. How did Al know that he was next to die?
3. What different views do the people of the time frame that Joe has found himself in hold that are contrary to the ones Joe and his coworkers hold?
4. What did Don Denny say about Joe's appearance, and why is this worrisome?
5. What does Don Denny go to do, and what does he tell Pat to do in his absence?
6. What is a common experience among half-lifers?
7. How is Don Denny intuitive in this chapter?
8. How did Joe try to turn the carton of Ubik into a spray can?
9. What did this deterioration make Joe feel and why is this a problem?
10. How does Pat look at Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of human rights on Terra. How would it be different than the concept of human rights here on Earth? What kinds of things would have to change in our society for rights to be as liberal as they are on Terra?
Essay Topic 2
Take a closer look at Joe and Al's work relationship. How are the roles of Al and Joe similar? How do they differ? What is the purpose of their roles in the developing plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Pat as a primary antagonist in the story. What clues point to her as being the main force opposing the group of Runciter Associates? In what regard does she seem like the perfect adversary for Joe?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)