|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Joe take the elevator?
2. What is the name of the place where Runciter was brought after the Beloved Brethren?
3. What was different about the Carton that they had picked up?
4. Under what circumstance is someone to report to Joe or Don?
5. What does Jory mean by eating people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pat taking the fact that everyone is slowly being killed off?
2. What made Mr. Bliss do a double take?
3. What point does Joe make that gives Runciter pause for thought?
4. How did Joe try to turn the carton of Ubik into a spray can?
5. What was odd about Joe and Al's visit to Baltimore?
6. What does Don Denny go to do, and what does he tell Pat to do in his absence?
7. What things did Joe feel were an improvement when they had regressed?
8. What did this deterioration make Joe feel and why is this a problem?
9. What did Don Denny say about Joe's appearance, and why is this worrisome?
10. What is Glen's thoughts regarding the Prudence organizations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the differences between the world of Terra and our Earth. How are things run differently? How are they similar? In what regards is the world described in Ubik false?
Essay Topic 2
The major motion picture "Matrix" gained a lot of inspiration from this novel. Compare Ubik to the Matrix. What similarities are present? What are some major differences? How is Neo like Joe? How are the two characters different?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the repeated references to cigarettes in this novel. How does this relate to the culture of the day in which the novel was written? How have things changed in regards to the references to smoking in literature?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)