|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flavor was the tranquilizer?
2. What did Stanton Mick do?
3. How much was Joe's coffee?
4. Who is it that Joe wants to talk to?
5. In what form was the tranquilizer given to Joe to consume?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Runciter notice when he looked at the money?
2. What kinds of things does Ms. Wirt explain is on the map?
3. How did Al know that he was next to die?
4. What does the end of the book reveal?
5. Why was activating Ella a sin against her?
6. What is Runciter trying to do according to A?
7. How did the author describe Hollis?
8. What was Joe's impression of the Mortuary?
9. What did this deterioration make Joe feel and why is this a problem?
10. What point does Joe make that gives Runciter pause for thought?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Stanton Mick. Although he is represented as being a humanoid bomb, he is also represented as being solicitous by putting the crew of the prudence organization in half life. Explain Stanton Mick's role in Ubik.
Essay Topic 2
Although this book is set in 1992, explain some technological differences that existed in Ubik and the real world of 1992. What kinds of things are still the products of science fiction? What kinds of things are reality now?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the repeated references to cigarettes in this novel. How does this relate to the culture of the day in which the novel was written? How have things changed in regards to the references to smoking in literature?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)