|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of usual feeling did Joe feel?
2. How many days did Mr. Runciter say that it would take to run the preliminary tests?
3. What is the first piece of advice that Ella gives Glen?
4. What did the second symbol mean?
5. Why doesn't Glen wake up his wife more often?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Runciter notice when he looked at the money?
2. How is Don Denny intuitive in this chapter?
3. What things does Joe learn in this chapter that solves the mystery about their adversary, and the force working against them?
4. What was Joe's impression of the Mortuary?
5. Why does Glen believe that he has figured out where the lot of Hollis' best PSI's have gotten to?
6. What typo is in this chapter?
7. What point does Joe make that gives Runciter pause for thought?
8. What does Joe guess was going to happen to all of them and why?
9. Why was activating Ella a sin against her?
10. How does Mr. Runciter find out who Ms. Wirt's employer is, and why is this information valuable to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The major motion picture "Matrix" gained a lot of inspiration from this novel. Compare Ubik to the Matrix. What similarities are present? What are some major differences? How is Neo like Joe? How are the two characters different?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the repeated references to cigarettes in this novel. How does this relate to the culture of the day in which the novel was written? How have things changed in regards to the references to smoking in literature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jory as a deity. In what way is he a god in the half life world? In what way is he like the god of the underworld? In what ways does he closely resemble a god?
This section contains 1,581 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)