|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the fridge charge Joe?
2. What floor was Glen's office on?
3. What does Von Vogalsang offer to do for Glen?
4. Who did the hidden button call?
5. How many telepaths did Mrs. Wirt say she was authorized to pay for?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what state does Joe find Wendy?
2. How does Ella explain half-life, and why did Ella believe that he would never fully understand it?
3. What is the unique feature about Joe's apartment that is different from apartments we know?
4. Why does Joe Chip believe that he was selected to keep the prudence organizations going?
5. Why does Bill say he likes Tippy? What does he do following this declaration?
6. Why does Glen believe that he has figured out where the lot of Hollis' best PSI's have gotten to?
7. Why can't Pat put things back entirely the way they were?
8. Why would Ella not like to be in isolation?
9. Why is there speculation that the prudence organization could be a racket?
10. Why was Jory able to permeate Ella's conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take a closer look at Joe and Al's work relationship. How are the roles of Al and Joe similar? How do they differ? What is the purpose of their roles in the developing plot of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Stanton Mick. Although he is represented as being a humanoid bomb, he is also represented as being solicitous by putting the crew of the prudence organization in half life. Explain Stanton Mick's role in Ubik.
Essay Topic 3
Although this book is set in 1992, explain some technological differences that existed in Ubik and the real world of 1992. What kinds of things are still the products of science fiction? What kinds of things are reality now?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)