|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the poetry from that was recited in Tippy's dream?
2. What is "night coming" a euphemism for?
3. Who is it that Joe wants to talk to?
4. Which word best describes the room Joe is in?
5. What was the day in which the half-lifers were publicly honored?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the only thing that Joe decided would resist regression before anything else?
2. What was Joe's impression of the Mortuary?
3. Under what terms is Pat hired?
4. How is Pat taking the fact that everyone is slowly being killed off?
5. Why was Jory able to permeate Ella's conversation?
6. What is the unique feature about Joe's apartment that is different from apartments we know?
7. What according to the advertisement does Ubik actually do?
8. Why does Joe Chip believe that he was selected to keep the prudence organizations going?
9. What typo is in this chapter?
10. What was interesting to note about Sammy Mundo?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the differences between the world of Terra and our Earth. How are things run differently? How are they similar? In what regards is the world described in Ubik false?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the repeated references to cigarettes in this novel. How does this relate to the culture of the day in which the novel was written? How have things changed in regards to the references to smoking in literature?
Essay Topic 3
Take a closer look at Joe and Al's work relationship. How are the roles of Al and Joe similar? How do they differ? What is the purpose of their roles in the developing plot of the story?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)