Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the poetry from that was recited in Tippy's dream?
2. What is "night coming" a euphemism for?
3. Who is it that Joe wants to talk to?
4. Which word best describes the room Joe is in?
5. What was the day in which the half-lifers were publicly honored?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the only thing that Joe decided would resist regression before anything else?
2. What was Joe's impression of the Mortuary?
3. Under what terms is Pat hired?
4. How is Pat taking the fact that everyone is slowly being killed off?
5. Why was Jory able to permeate Ella's conversation?
6. What is the unique feature about Joe's apartment that is different from apartments we know?
7. What according to the advertisement does Ubik actually do?
8. Why does Joe Chip believe that he was selected to keep the prudence organizations going?
9. What typo is in this chapter?
10. What was interesting to note about Sammy Mundo?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the repeated references to cigarettes in this novel. How does this relate to the culture of the day in which the novel was written? How have things changed in regards to the references to smoking in literature?
Essay Topic 2
Although this book is set in 1992, explain some technological differences that existed in Ubik and the real world of 1992. What kinds of things are still the products of science fiction? What kinds of things are reality now?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Pat as a primary antagonist in the story. What clues point to her as being the main force opposing the group of Runciter Associates? In what regard does she seem like the perfect adversary for Joe?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)