|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many telepaths were possibly in the workplace of Miss Wirt?
2. What does Pat do at the Kibbutz?
3. Why might Ella not like being put in solitary?
4. Where does Joe sarcastically say Mr. Runciter is?
5. How many days did Mr. Runciter say that it would take to run the preliminary tests?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe find out that a woman was in the suite with him the previous night?
2. Why does Bill say he likes Tippy? What does he do following this declaration?
3. What typo is in this chapter?
4. How does Ella explain half-life, and why did Ella believe that he would never fully understand it?
5. Why was activating Ella a sin against her?
6. Why couldn't Pat have given Joe the money before he tested her?
7. In what way(s) did Pat change reality for the group?
8. What is a half-life?
9. How did Mr. Runciter reveal that he knew who the person was that was financing Ms. Wirt's enterprise?
10. In what state does Joe find Wendy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although this book is set in 1992, explain some technological differences that existed in Ubik and the real world of 1992. What kinds of things are still the products of science fiction? What kinds of things are reality now?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Pat's fascination with her own power. How does it lead her into trouble later on? For what reasons does this power provide Pat with a false sense of security?
Essay Topic 3
If the sensation of touch is a sense that is entirely related to the body, why is it that the people in half life experience physical sensations like touch? Provide an explanation as to why they wouldn't feel as though they were in a dream.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)