|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Joe and Mr. Runciter decided on?
2. Why couldn't Mr. Runciter talk to his wife in the lounge?
3. How many telepaths did Mr. Runciter say that he wanted to send to this location?
4. How many telepaths did Mrs. Wirt say she was authorized to pay for?
5. What best describes the way Runciter felt looking at Pat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Provide reasons as to why Joe Chip is stressed in this chapter.
2. In what way(s) did Pat change reality for the group?
3. Why couldn't Pat have given Joe the money before he tested her?
4. How does Joe find out that a woman was in the suite with him the previous night?
5. Why was activating Ella a sin against her?
6. What is the reason to fear the telepaths, according to the anti-PSI agency?
7. Why does Glen believe that he has figured out where the lot of Hollis' best PSI's have gotten to?
8. What was interesting to note about Sammy Mundo?
9. Why did Runciter immediately want to pack everything up?
10. Why can't Pat put things back entirely the way they were?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The major motion picture "Matrix" gained a lot of inspiration from this novel. Compare Ubik to the Matrix. What similarities are present? What are some major differences? How is Neo like Joe? How are the two characters different?
Essay Topic 2
Although this book is set in 1992, explain some technological differences that existed in Ubik and the real world of 1992. What kinds of things are still the products of science fiction? What kinds of things are reality now?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of human rights on Terra. How would it be different than the concept of human rights here on Earth? What kinds of things would have to change in our society for rights to be as liberal as they are on Terra?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)