|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marheyo make with Tommo's shoes?
2. What sight astonishes Tommo but not the Typee mothers?
3. From what do the Typees make cloth?
4. Why do the natives grow up to be good swimmers, in Tommo's experience?
5. What about the appearance of the Typees does Tommo notice most?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommo say about the natives' musical arts?
2. Describe the preparations for the feast of the calabashes.
3. How does Tommo entertain the Typee children?
4. What happens after the second skirmish with the Happars?
5. What technology of Tommo's impresses the Typees?
6. How is the men's company different from the women's company for Tommo?
7. What does Tommo say about the Typees as swimmers?
8. Describe a typical day for Tommo.
9. What does Tommo say about the natives' fishing expedition?
10. What sight disturbs Tommo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Tommo's relationship with Fayaway a marriage? In what ways is it? In what ways is it not? Does Tommo consider himself married? Do you? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Does Tommo's escape from Typee signify a repudiation of the beauty and harmony he found there? Does he seem to retain some vestige of the Typee lifestyle and values when he returns to life aboard European ships? Does Tommo find that the two lifestyles are ultimately incompatible, or can they be combined or reconciled?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationships between society and nature in the novel. What different uses does nature have to the whites? To the natives? Do the whites and natives have different relationships with the natural world? How does Melville characterize the different perspectives?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)