|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Captain Cook supposed to have been cannibalized?
2. Why do the natives grow up to be good swimmers, in Tommo's experience?
3. How do the women dress for the feast?
4. What does Tommo notice about the insects in Typee?
5. What does Tommo find at the Ti groves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommo say about the natives' fishing expedition?
2. Describe the practice of taboos among the Typees.
3. How do the Typees harvest coconuts, in Tommo's account?
4. How does Tommo compare the Typees to white people?
5. Describe the preparations for the feast of the calabashes.
6. What does Tommo say about the natives' musical arts?
7. How does Tommo describe the Typees' feelings about war?
8. Describe Tommo's relationship with the women of Typee.
9. How is the men's company different from the women's company for Tommo?
10. What does Tommo say about the Typees as swimmers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cannibalism is a major threat in "Typee", but it is not much in evidence. Do the instances of supposed cannibalism live up to the threatening rhetoric about cannibalistic practices, or is cannibalism largely a red herring, an ultimately meaningless and unthreatening idea in the economy of the novel? How does the significance of cannibalism change throughout "Typee"?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do the Typees live up to Tommo's original ideas about them? In what ways are they different from his early impressions? What conclusions does he ultimately draw about them? What changes his original ideas, if his original ideas change?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is "Typee" an outgrowth of Melville's own experience? Research Melville's biography, and compare and contrast his shipboard experience with the experience he describes in "Typee".
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)