|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mehevi bring to Toby and Tommo?
2. What do the Typees allow Toby to do?
3. How does Toby end up unconscious?
4. How does Toby descend at the waterfall?
5. Describe the interior of Nukuheva.
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs of civilization do Toby and Tommo see from the mountains?
2. Toby and Tommo follow a footpath. Where does it lead them, and how do they proceed?
3. What are the Ti and the Hoolah Hoolah grounds?
4. Describe Tommo's companion Toby.
5. What communication do Toby and Tommo exchange with the natives?
6. What happens when ships come into the bay?
7. Why would it be dangerous for Tommo to desert from his ship, and how does he plan to avoid the danger?
8. What do Toby and Tommo discover when they make it to the mountain?
9. What kind of routine does Tommo enter into with Kory-Kory?
10. What signs of native activity do Toby and Tommo see, and how do they ultimately meet the natives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role has Polynesia played in the American or Western imagination? What have the Pacific islands meant for white people? How was Melville trading on this impression? How did he resist it with his "peep" into Polynesian life? How did he reinforce the stereotypical views of Polynesia?
Essay Topic 2
Tommo's leg is swollen and a hindrance almost from the start of his narrative. What effect does this injury/illness have on Tommo's experience, what influence does it have on the novel and what does the illness/injury represent as a metaphor or symbol in the symbolic economy of the novel? Is it contrasted with instances of vitality and freedom of movement? Is injury or illness particular to Tommo as a white person?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tommo change or grow through the action of "Typee"? How is he a different person at the end of the book than he was at the beginning?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)