|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Toby descend at the waterfall?
2. What do Fayaway and Tinor wear as decorations?
3. Where do the sailors set up their hut?
4. What do the French threaten after Nukuheva?
5. What is Mehevi's status among the Typees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tommo's companion Toby.
2. What signs of native activity do Toby and Tommo see, and how do they ultimately meet the natives?
3. What do Toby and Tommo discover when they make it to the mountain?
4. Describe the incident with the French and the English missionaries.
5. Describe the island of Nukuheva.
6. Describe the residents of the island of Nukuheva.
7. What kind of routine does Tommo enter into with Kory-Kory?
8. Describe Toby and Tommo's escape from the ship.
9. Why would it be dangerous for Tommo to desert from his ship, and how does he plan to avoid the danger?
10. What happens when the Typees bring Toby back to their village after the noon-time siesta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Toby and Tommo's views about women, and how are their views about women different from the Typees' views about women?
Essay Topic 2
What is Melville's relationship with his narrator? Are we as readers limited to the narrator's perspective, or does the author give us other perspectives, including his own (authorial) perspective? Describe the different lenses through which we see the action in "Typee".
Essay Topic 3
How does Tommo change or grow through the action of "Typee"? How is he a different person at the end of the book than he was at the beginning?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)