|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tommo think about human sacrifices before the feast?
(a) He thinks it is an exaggeration from sailors.
(b) He thinks it is a way to take power from an enemy.
(c) He thinks it is a grave religious ritual.
(d) He thinks it is necessary to the harmony of the cosmos.
2. From what do the Typees make cloth?
(a) The skins of deer and boar.
(c) The under bark of the cloth tree.
(d) Fish skin.
3. What did the natives do to the captain who shot birds in the Bay of Tior, in Tommo's recollection?
(a) They helped him get all the birds he wanted then made him leave.
(b) They killed him and ate him.
(c) They killed all the birds themselves so he would not have any hunting.
(d) They could not kill him, but they denied him water and forced him to go away.
4. What does Tommo find is in short supply on the island?
(b) Wild boar.
5. What technical knowledge of Tommo's do the Typees express interest in?
(c) Sailing and navigation.
(d) Needle and thread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Narmonee use for shaving his head?
2. What is Tommo's experience of the mineral spring water?
3. What is the benefit of the low reproductive rates of the Typees?
4. Where does breadfruit come from?
5. What does Tommo try to engage in with the natives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tommo describe the difference between men's work and women's work?
2. What does Tommo say about the natives' fishing expedition?
3. What kinds of animal life does Tommo find on the island with the Typees?
4. How do the Typees harvest coconuts, in Tommo's account?
5. Describe the preparations for the feast of the calabashes.
6. What technology of Tommo's impresses the Typees?
7. What does Tommo say about the native practice of tattooing?
8. Describe Typee marriage arrangements.
9. How does Tommo describe the Typees' feelings about war?
10. What does Tommo describe of the natives' cosmetics?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)