|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the naked old women jumping up and down during the feast?
(a) To mourn their husbands.
(b) To stimulate the earth's fertility.
(c) To prepare to eat Tommo.
(d) To incite the men to war.
2. What does Kolory carry?
(a) A club with a human skull.
(b) A spear with a carved idol.
(c) A carving of a war canoe.
(d) A Frenchman's helmet.
3. What does Marnoo say that shocks Tommo?
(a) Hello in English.
(b) That he is going to eat him.
(c) That he will help him escape.
(d) That the Americans are looking for him.
4. From what do the Typees make cloth?
(a) The under bark of the cloth tree.
(b) Fish skin.
(d) The skins of deer and boar.
5. What do children use to climb coconut trees?
(a) Grips made of bone.
(b) Devices made of bark.
(c) Toothed sandals.
(d) Leather slippers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of coconuts do the natives prefer?
2. How does Tommo describe the sound made by the young women's instruments?
3. What does Tommo find is in short supply on the island?
4. What animals is Tommo surprised to find in Typee?
5. What does Tommo try to engage in with the natives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mausoleum Tommo sees.
2. What happens after the second skirmish with the Happars?
3. Describe the practice of taboos among the Typees.
4. Describe a typical day for Tommo.
5. What technology of Tommo's impresses the Typees?
6. What does Tommo describe of the natives' cosmetics?
7. What does Tommo say about relations between Typee husbands and wives?
8. What does Tommo say about the native practice of tattooing?
9. Describe the preparations for the feast of the calabashes.
10. What does Tommo say about the natives' fishing expedition?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)