|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it taboo for Tommo to touch?
(a) Hunting implements.
(b) Tattooing materials.
(c) Certain feathers.
(d) Tappa cloth.
2. How does Moa Artua answer questions?
(a) He is beaten and then speaks through the priest.
(b) He goes into a trance and then speaks.
(c) He interprets the flight of birds.
(d) He interprets the innards of boar and fish.
3. How does Kory-Kory reassure Tommo?
(a) He tells him that his bad leg prevents him from being eaten.
(b) He tells him that he is likely to be rescued soon.
(c) He tells him that the Typee warriors were feasting on pig, not Happar warriors.
(d) He tells him that he is part of the tribe now, and will never be eaten.
4. What is Tommo's experience of the mineral spring water?
(a) It tastes terrible.
(b) It heals his leg.
(c) It rejuvenates him.
(d) It is very hot.
5. Where is private property a Typee practice?
(a) In goods that come from the ocean.
(b) In real estate.
(c) In personal possessions.
(d) In spouses.
6. Why are the naked old women jumping up and down during the feast?
(a) To incite the men to war.
(b) To prepare to eat Tommo.
(c) To mourn their husbands.
(d) To stimulate the earth's fertility.
7. What does Tommo believe are in the packages the Typees bring back with them after a skirmish with the Happars?
(a) Happar wives.
(b) Captive Happar warriors.
(d) Happar bodies.
8. What does Tommo think about human sacrifices before the feast?
(a) He thinks it is necessary to the harmony of the cosmos.
(b) He thinks it is a grave religious ritual.
(c) He thinks it is an exaggeration from sailors.
(d) He thinks it is a way to take power from an enemy.
9. How old is Marnoo?
10. What does Narmonee use for shaving his head?
(a) A sharpened stone.
(b) A sharpened bone.
(c) A piece of metal salvaged from a ship.
(d) A shark tooth.
11. Why do the natives grow up to be good swimmers, in Tommo's experience?
(a) Mothers teach their children to swim as infants.
(b) Infants who cannot swim often die in fishing accidents.
(c) Swimming is a rite of passage all children have to pass.
(d) It is the only way to get from one part of the island to the other.
12. What does Tommo try to engage in with the natives?
13. What do the women use to lighten and soften their skin?
14. What does Karky want to do to Tommo?
(a) Enlist him with the warriors.
(b) Eat him.
(c) Heal him.
(d) Tattoo his face.
15. How many husbands do most Typee women have?
(c) As many as they like.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tommo describe the Typees' lifestyle?
2. What does Tommo notice about the insects in Typee?
3. Where does breadfruit come from?
4. What does Tommo notice about building practices?
5. What instrument do the young women play?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)