|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the fish catch divided among the Typees?
(a) The people keep the fish they catch.
(b) The catch is divided according to who has put in the most work fishing.
(c) People keep their own catch, but give a percentage to the elderly and poor.
(d) The fish are divided into portions for everyone.
2. How is scented coconut oil made?
(a) It is stored in a special nut after being sun dried.
(b) Spices from Tahiti are added to the oil.
(c) Oil is only collected from certain coconuts.
(d) Young girls add scented flowers to the oil.
3. What does Tommo find is in short supply on the island?
(a) Wild boar.
4. What about the appearance of the Typees does Tommo notice most?
(a) Their features are very fine.
(b) Their teeth are white.
(c) They are all very tall.
(d) Their skin is beautifully smooth and tan.
5. What is amar made of?
(a) Roasted seaweed.
(b) Mashed up mangoes.
(c) Fermented breadfruit mash.
(d) Raw breadfruit.
6. How does Tommo describe the Typees' lifestyle?
7. What does Tommo notice about the insects in Typee?
(a) There are no mosquitoes.
(b) The ants make painful bites.
(c) Some walking sticks are almost as big as he is.
(d) The mosquitoes carry deadly diseases.
8. What does Tommo figure out about Marnoo?
(a) That he has been to France.
(b) That he is taboo.
(c) That he was once exiled from the Typees.
(d) That he was raised by the Happars.
9. What does Kory-Kory bring to Tommo to add variety to his diet?
(d) Wild birds.
10. What is the benefit of the low reproductive rates of the Typees?
(a) They can keep the most fit children.
(b) They pass down property without dividing it.
(c) They do not overtax their food supply.
(d) They cannot afford destructive warfare.
11. How many husbands do most Typee women have?
(b) As many as they like.
12. Where does Kory-Kory tell Tommo the chief in the mausoleum is going?
(a) To Hades.
(b) To Polynesian paradise.
(c) To the happy hunting grounds.
(d) To hell.
13. What does Tommo see in earthen ovens when the Typees are preparing their feast?
(d) Poee-poee packets.
14. How does Kory-Kory describe the Typee heaven?
(a) Eternal grace.
(b) Justice and peace.
(c) Good food and beautiful women.
(d) Sensory delights.
15. How do the women dress for the feast?
(a) In tappa skirts, wrapped in flowers.
(b) They wear elaborate batik skirts.
(c) They wear robes of feathers and flowers.
(d) They wear only loincloths, with flowers in their hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommo use to make popguns for the Typee children?
2. What does Kory-Kory tell Tommo about the ancient site?
3. What technical knowledge of Tommo's do the Typees express interest in?
4. Where was Captain Cook supposed to have been cannibalized?
5. What does Kolory carry?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)