|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people own individually?
(a) Their pi-pi.
(b) Their fruit trees.
(c) Their labor.
(d) Their spouses and children.
2. Taboos make people off-limits from others and what else?
(a) Miserable but wise.
(c) Free to travel widely.
(d) Condemned to be eaten.
3. What does Kory-Kory bring to Tommo to add variety to his diet?
(a) Wild birds.
4. What does Tommo think about human sacrifices before the feast?
(a) He thinks it is a grave religious ritual.
(b) He thinks it is necessary to the harmony of the cosmos.
(c) He thinks it is an exaggeration from sailors.
(d) He thinks it is a way to take power from an enemy.
5. What does Tommo compare to the Typees' cannibalism?
(a) White men's tortures.
(b) White men's warfare.
(c) White men's religion.
(d) White men's diseases.
6. What does Tommo say the natives do before going to sleep?
(a) Dance and tell stories.
(b) Chant and bang sticks.
(d) Repair their fishing gear.
7. How old is Marnoo?
8. Where are the packages of pork put for everyone to eat during the feast?
(a) In the Ti.
(b) In the trees.
(c) Along the stream
(d) Along the paths.
9. Why do the natives grow up to be good swimmers, in Tommo's experience?
(a) Infants who cannot swim often die in fishing accidents.
(b) It is the only way to get from one part of the island to the other.
(c) Swimming is a rite of passage all children have to pass.
(d) Mothers teach their children to swim as infants.
10. What about the appearance of the Typees does Tommo notice most?
(a) Their skin is beautifully smooth and tan.
(b) Their features are very fine.
(c) Their teeth are white.
(d) They are all very tall.
11. Where is private property a Typee practice?
(a) In real estate.
(b) In personal possessions.
(c) In goods that come from the ocean.
(d) In spouses.
12. What is it taboo for Tommo to touch?
(a) Tattooing materials.
(b) Certain feathers.
(c) Tappa cloth.
(d) Hunting implements.
13. What does Tommo believe are in the packages the Typees bring back with them after a skirmish with the Happars?
(a) Captive Happar warriors.
(b) Happar bodies.
(c) Happar wives.
14. Where is there an ancient, Stonehenge-like site?
(a) In the Happar territory.
(b) Near the shore.
(c) By the stream.
(d) Near the mountains.
15. Why do the girls have to leave when Tommo asks for a canoe?
(a) The canoe is taboo.
(b) The canoe belongs to a powerful chief and they would be insulting him to get in it without him.
(c) They cannot swim.
(d) They do not want to be seen in the canoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women use to lighten and soften their skin?
2. What happens when the Happars venture into Typee territory?
3. From what do the Typees make cloth?
4. What is a synonym for taboo?
5. Who is Moa Artua?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)