|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Toby and Tommo surrounded by when they wake up in the Typee village?
(a) Young men.
(b) Old men.
(c) Young girls.
(d) Old women.
2. Where does the captain tell the sailors to stay near?
(a) The harbor.
(b) The marketplace.
(c) The French military station.
(d) The beach.
3. What is the narrator's name in "Typee"?
4. What did the French Admiral demand when he reached his next destination after Nukuheva?
(a) Safe haven for his crew.
(b) Repairs for his ship.
(c) Money and treasure.
(d) Liberty for the natives.
5. What does Tommo think is his and Toby's only chance for escape?
(a) The sea.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The French.
(d) The Happars.
6. How many days food supply do the narrator and Toby have when they reach the mountain?
7. What does Mehevi want information about from Toby and Tommo?
(a) The Happar villages.
(b) American women.
(c) America's strength relative to France.
(d) The French invasion force.
8. What causes Tommo intense pain in the Typee village?
(a) The doctor hits his leg.
(b) He cuts himself on a reed.
(c) He is tied up by the Typee warriors.
(d) He is hit in a fight to escape.
9. What do the narrators hope to find if they follow the river at the bottom of the ravine?
(a) A valley with fruit.
(b) Their shipmates.
(c) Weapons for hunting.
(d) Friendly natives.
10. How does the narrator describe Toby's personality?
11. What event precipitates the narrator's ship heading to land?
(a) The sailors mutinied.
(b) The ship sprung a leak.
(c) The ship was badly damaged in a storm.
(d) The last chicken was killed which the captain ate.
12. Describe the interior of Nukuheva.
(b) An arid plain.
(c) A large lake.
(d) A swamp.
13. What do the narrator and Toby grab on their way off the ship?
14. How comfortable is the hut the sailors build?
(a) It is snug and warm.
(b) Its floor is rocky and uneven.
(c) It cannot keep out the rain.
(d) It is filled with ants and lizards.
15. What do the French want to demonstrate to the natives at Nukuheva?
(a) Their power.
(b) Their desire to trade.
(c) Their wealth.
(d) Their compassion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big is the island of Nukuheva?
2. What is the Ti?
3. How does Tommo get around the Typee village?
4. How much experience of white men have the natives had?
5. What does Kory-Kory tell Toby and Tommo about the Happars?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)