|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's name in "Typee"?
2. Who are Toby and Tommo surrounded by when they wake up in the Typee village?
(a) Young girls.
(b) Young men.
(c) Old women.
(d) Old men.
3. What do Fayaway and Tinor wear as decorations?
(a) Wooden headdresses.
(b) Bone piercings.
(c) Flower necklaces.
(d) Fish tails.
4. Where does the narrator plan to go when he deserts his ship?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To Tahiti.
(c) To the mountains.
(d) To the harbor on the other side of the island.
5. What happens to the narrator's leg?
(a) It is caught in some rocks.
(b) It is struck by a native's hunting dart.
(c) It swells up.
(d) He cuts it badly.
6. What did the French Admiral demand when he reached his next destination after Nukuheva?
(a) Repairs for his ship.
(b) Safe haven for his crew.
(c) Money and treasure.
(d) Liberty for the natives.
7. What happens to the people the French threaten?
(a) They respond with gunfire.
(b) They refuse to take down the English flag.
(c) They submit to the French.
(d) They are arrested by the French.
8. Why does the narrator run away from the Dolly?
(a) He wants to be alone.
(b) He falls in love with a native girl.
(c) He was left ashore mistakenly.
(d) He considers the captain a tyrant.
9. What do the narrator and Toby plan to subsist on on the island?
(a) Food stolen from the ship.
(b) Food stolen from the natives.
(c) Food stolen from the marketplace.
(d) Wild fruit.
10. Describe the interior of Nukuheva.
(a) A large lake.
(c) An arid plain.
(d) A swamp.
11. What does Mehevi want information about from Toby and Tommo?
(a) America's strength relative to France.
(b) The French invasion force.
(c) The Happar villages.
(d) American women.
12. Whom does Mehevi bring to Toby and Tommo?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A warrior.
(c) A Happar warrior.
(d) Young girls.
13. When do the narrator and Toby decide to desert?
(a) During the fight with the French.
(b) In the middle of the night.
(c) During shore leave.
(d) After the second watch.
14. How does the narrator describe Toby's personality?
15. What prevents Tommo from joining Toby's plan?
(a) His lame leg.
(b) Mehevi's surveillance.
(c) His marriage to a Typee girl.
(d) His affection for Kory-Kory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see when he wakes up after a nap on his second day on the island?
2. What does the narrator use when he descends the waterfall?
3. What do the narrator and Toby follow to the cliff?
4. Where do the narrator and Toby arrive before sundown?
5. What is the Ti?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)