|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Toby's personality?
2. How do the girls in the village treat Tommo?
(a) They tease him and run away when he tries to talk with them.
(b) They rub him with oils after Kory-Kory bathes him.
(c) They wash him in the stream twice a day.
(d) They shun him.
3. What are the narrator and Toby stopped by when they desert?
(a) Rocky cliffs.
(b) Hostile natives.
(c) Tall reeds.
(d) A river.
4. What do the narrator and Toby use to surpass the obstacle?
5. What does the narrator try to conceal from Toby?
(a) His poor health.
(b) His hunger.
(c) His plan to return to the ship.
(d) His fear of the natives.
6. How comfortable is the hut the sailors build?
(a) It is snug and warm.
(b) Its floor is rocky and uneven.
(c) It is filled with ants and lizards.
(d) It cannot keep out the rain.
7. According to the narrator, what do sea birds signal?
(b) Approaching land.
(c) Other shipping.
(d) Good weather.
8. What does Kory-Kory do for Tommo?
(a) He heals his leg.
(b) He supervises his recuperation.
(c) He gets him a doctor.
(d) He brings him food.
9. How many days food supply do the narrator and Toby have when they reach the mountain?
10. What does the narrator use when he descends the waterfall?
(a) Tree bark for sandals.
(b) Toby's help.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) Hanging vines.
11. What happens to the people the French threaten?
(a) They are arrested by the French.
(b) They submit to the French.
(c) They refuse to take down the English flag.
(d) They respond with gunfire.
12. Why does the narrator run away from the Dolly?
(a) He falls in love with a native girl.
(b) He was left ashore mistakenly.
(c) He wants to be alone.
(d) He considers the captain a tyrant.
13. How do the Typees respond to news of a boat in their bay?
(a) They hide in the bush.
(b) They arm themselves.
(c) They gather goods to trade.
(d) They reconnoiter the bay.
14. How much experience of white men have the natives had?
(a) They have traveled with white men.
(b) They have traded with them for years.
(c) They have taken white men among them before.
(d) They have never observed them closely before.
15. What does the narrator see when he wakes up after a nap on his second day on the island?
(a) A wild boar.
(b) Sailors looking for him and Toby.
(c) An inhabited valley.
(d) A natives hunting party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator and Toby find on the mountain?
2. What do the French want to demonstrate to the natives at Nukuheva?
3. What prevents Tommo from joining Toby's plan?
4. Whom does Mehevi bring to Toby and Tommo?
5. What does Toby tell Tommo about the natives?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)