Chapters 1, and 2, pp. 1-20
• The narrator is considering deserting from an American whaling ship as it approaches the Marquesas Islands.
• The island of Nukuheva has been taken over by the French when the American ship arrives there.
Chapters 3, and 4, pp. 21-41
• The French have expanded their influence over the island of Nukuheva, and they make a scene by bringing the king and queen to the American ship.
• The narrator describes the stories he has heard about the Happars and the Typees, the two tribes who live inland on the island of Nukuheva.
Chapters 5, and 6, pp. 42-57
• Tommo draws another sailor named Toby into his plans to desert when the sailors go ashore.
• Toby and Tommo escape from the other sailors and make their way up into the mountains of Nukuheva.
Chapters 7, and 8, pp. 58-82
• The food Toby and Tommo took with them does not survived their travels very...
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)