|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chief decide to do about the terms the old women set?
2. What delicious treat does Sa' find when she goes beyond the hill for the first time?
3. What undermines the chief's decision-making ability?
4. What collection do the women share with The People when they learn of the sorry condition of the band?
5. What is each of the men conditioned to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had hardship taught the women and The People that they had not known before?
2. How does Daagoo decide which direction the two women might have taken?
3. Why do the women realize that tearing the bark from the birch trees has been a mistake?
4. Why had Daagoo been surprised that no one had ever silenced the two old women when they lived together?
5. How do The People agree to respect the two women?
6. What surprises Daagoo during his first conversation with the two women?
7. How can the hunters tell that the old women are in better shape than The People as the winter ends?
8. Why are the women afraid that other people might come to their fish camp?
9. What methods do the women use to protect themselves from mosquitoes?
10. When they hear their names called, why do the women agree that there is no use in trying to hide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in this story is transformation. In your essay, explain how the abandonment brought about changes in the old women that made it possible for them to succeed in a harsh environment.
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think suffered more during the long, hard winter? Was it the two women, or the chief, the daughter, and the other members of the band? Why? In your essay, compare and contrast the situations of the two groups. What advantage did the women have? What advantage did the chief and the rest of The People have?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think the conflict the women face is mostly external or mostly internal? Give reasons from the story to support your opinion.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)