|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daagoo promise the women?
2. How do the women keep the bear from their fish?
3. What do the hunters smell when Daagoo first asks them to sniff the air?
4. What emotions had the betrayal originally created in the two old women?
5. What does the chief believe would give The People a second chance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do The People agree to respect the two women?
2. When they hear their names called, why do the women agree that there is no use in trying to hide?
3. What game does the bull moose play with Sa'?
4. How can the hunters tell that the old women are in better shape than The People as the winter ends?
5. What methods do the women use to protect themselves from mosquitoes?
6. Why do the four hunters feel impatient about their task of searching for the old women?
7. What had the women made in their spare time during the winter?
8. What does Shruh Zhuu do with the two old women each day?
9. What surprises Daagoo during his first conversation with the two women?
10. How has the women's attitude toward The People changed in the time since they were abandoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in this story is transformation. In your essay, explain how the abandonment brought about changes in the old women that made it possible for them to succeed in a harsh environment.
Essay Topic 2
The People had broken their own rules by treating the women as babies. Why had they done so? What was the effect upon the women? In your essay, discuss the benefits and pitfalls of the affection with which The People had treated the two old women.
Essay Topic 3
In this story, the author has to find many ways to convey the idea of cold. In your essay, find and detail as many ways as you can that the author used to convey the cold that the women experienced, including the sensory elements of sight, hearing, taste, touch, and smell.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)