|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't the women move when they wake up on the second morning of their travels?
(a) They are frozen.
(b) They have stiff, aging joints.
(c) They have injured themselves walking.
(d) They are paralyzed with fear.
2. What occasionally causes the women to go off course?
(b) Memory loss.
3. What causes Sa's circulation to start again each morning?
(a) Massaging her legs.
(b) Crawling around the campsite.
(c) Limping around the campsite.
(d) Jogging around the campsite.
4. What do the younger men provide for the old women?
(a) Dried fish.
(b) Snowshoes and weapons.
(c) Wood and water.
(d) Food and clothing.
5. Why does Sa' say they are both like babies?
(a) Because they are helpless.
(b) Because they are dependent on others.
(c) Because they stopped caring for themselves.
(d) Because they cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is condemned to death in the environment of the Arctic Circle?
2. How does Chi'idzigyaak recognize the spot where they had camped many years before?
3. Which of the two women is older?
4. Chi'idzigyaak realizes they had been pampered because ____________.
5. What does Sa' thinks holds power over all living things?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the two women boil the squirrel meat and drink the broth rather than eating the meat?
2. How do the two old women react to the chief's announcement that they will be left behind?
3. Why is the winter in which this story takes place more dangerous for The People than other winters?
4. How do the migrating bands keep their fires alive?
5. Why was Sa' finally banished from her group as a young woman?
6. Why do the two old women feel "almost superstitious" about their good luck in hunting?
7. What has hardship taught the two women and failed to teach the two women about each other?
8. What are the discomforts that the women notice most as they travel?
9. What are the first tasks the women must do to prepare their shelter at the fish camp?
10. Why does Sa' smile when Chi'idzigyaak notices that they have arrived at the creek, but are on the wrong side?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)