|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daagoo think may have caused the scent?
(a) A hidden cache of fish.
(b) The first blossoming of spring flowers.
(c) The movement of a caribou herd.
(d) The remnant of a summer fire.
2. What does one of the hunters ask Daagoo?
(a) What he smells.
(b) What he expects to find.
(c) How much longer they will search.
(d) What he wants them to do.
3. What hope does Daagoo offer the people as they find no sign of the two women?
(a) Maybe the women died peacefully.
(b) Maybe they will find food.
(c) Maybe the women moved on.
(d) Maybe this year will be better.
4. How do the women feel when the chief arrives at their camp?
5. What emotions had the betrayal originally created in the two old women?
(a) Love and loneliness.
(b) Courage and patience.
(c) Forgiveness and tolerance.
(d) Hate and fear.
6. Why is the direction chosen by the women senseless to Daagoo?
(a) It is far from the caribou trails.
(b) It is far from the spot where moose gathered.
(c) It is near where mosquitoes breed.
(d) It is far from water.
7. What does Daagoo give the women that causes them to trust him?
(a) An amulet.
(c) A message from the chief.
(d) His word.
8. What do the hunters smell when Daagoo first asks them to sniff the air?
9. What bloodthirsty animal is waiting for the women in the new campsite they select?
(a) Vampire bats.
10. What does the chief believe would have been worse for The People than hunger during the harsh winter?
(a) A change in leadership.
(b) An invasion of other groups.
(c) Attacks by predators.
11. What does Daagoo notice about the snow around them?
(a) It shows footsteps.
(b) It is untrampled.
(c) It is frozen on the surface.
(d) It is new.
12. After they have cached enough food, what are the women still afraid of?
(a) Other people.
(b) The return of the cold.
(c) Predatory animals.
(d) Physical weakness.
13. What collection do the women share with The People when they learn of the sorry condition of the band?
(a) Beaver fur garments.
(b) Caribou hide rope.
(c) Rabbit fur garments.
(d) Moose hide sleds.
14. Where do the women cache their dried meat?
(a) In a hole lined with willows.
(b) Hanging high in a tree.
(c) In an underwater cave.
(d) Behind a grove of bushes.
15. What act of weakness on the chief's part would have cost him his position?
(a) Invading another band.
(b) Relinquising his leadership.
(c) Asking for help.
(d) Taking the old women back into the band.
Short Answer Questions
1. What delicious treat does Sa' find when she goes beyond the hill for the first time?
2. What animal eats the fish guts if the bear does not?
3. What do the first visitors bring each time they come to see the old women?
4. What larger animal do the women remember how to trap?
5. What does Daagoo promise the women?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)