Chapter 1, Hunger and Cold Take Their Toll
* The People face starvation in the bleak winter.
* There is unusual cold and few animals to hunt.
* Hunters are fed first because hunting in the cold requires more energy.
* The People have cared for two old women for many years.
* The old women have the character flaw of complaining.
* The chief announces that the council has decided to leave the old women behind.
* Leaving old ones behind has been done before, but never by this band.
* Ozhii Nelii is afraid that she and her son will be left behind if she defends the old women.
* Shruh Zhuu is afraid the hunters will take desperate action.
* Shruh Zhuu hides a hatchet for the old women.
* Chi'idzigyaak is angry at Ozhii Nelii's weakness in failing to defend her.
* Sa' argues that it is better to die trying than sitting.
Chapter 2, Let Us Die Trying
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)