|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jing-Mei’s hair debacle where it was cut off like a boy’s, what statement does she make about her feelings of the haircut?
2. For how long does Jing-Mei say she practiced piano with Mr. Chong before she overheard her mother and Auntie Lindo bragging about their children?
3. Mr. Chong and Jing-Mei’s mother conspire to have Jing-Mei perform in a talent show held where in the story?
4. How long ago has Jing-Mei’s mother died when she sends the tuner to recondition the piano at the end of the story?
5. Jing-Mei says that Mr. Chong would have her curve her hand around what object and then keep that shape while playing chords?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jing-Mei describe the piece she is to play at the talent show? How does she describe her practice for the performance?
2. What happens when Suyuan Woo quizzes her daughter on country capitals? What other activities does she test out on Jing-Mei when she is young?
3. In what ways does Suyuan Woo lack in communication with her daughter in the beginning of the story?
4. How does Jing-Mei describe her performance at the talent show?
5. What do the Schumann songs at the end of the story represent symbolically?
6. What performer fascinates Suyuan Woo while watching the Ed Sullivan Show early in the story? How does Jing-Mei respond?
7. When does Jing-Mei’s mother first introduce to her the concept of a child prodigy?
8. What “transformation” does Jing-Mei undergo while looking into the mirror as a child?
9. What does Jing-Mei say to her mother to hurt her during their conflict in the climax of the story? How does Suyuan respond?
10. How do Suyuan Woo’s ambitions in the beginning of the story set up the central conflict in “Two Kinds”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Suyuan Woo’s idolization of Shirley Temple in “Two Kinds.” What did Shirley Temple symbolize to the American people (and others) during the Great Depression? Why does she hope for her daughter to share these qualities? How does she go about molding Jing-Mei after Shirley Temple?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the American Dream in “Two Kinds.” How does the theme manifest in the story? How does this theme relate to the character of Suyuan Woo? What symbolism is used in the narrative to reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Jing-Mei Woo in “Two Kinds.” How old is Jing-Mei when the narrative begins with her mother’s discussion of child prodigies? Does Jing-Mei comment on the action of the story or does she relate it objectively? How does this reveal her character? How does Jing-Mei change in the course of the story?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)