|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-Mei is to play a song from what Schumann opus at the talent show?
2. “Two Kinds” is a short story that was initially published in what periodical in February 1989?
3. What does Jing-Mei do with the Chinese silk dresses she finds when sorting through her mother’s things at the end of the story?
4. How old is the boy at the talent show that is described as wearing a fake moustache and doing a magic show?
5. What does Jing-Mei say to defend the young piano player on The Ed Sullivan Show when her mother criticizes her performance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Waverly Jong make to Jing-Mei after her performance at the talent show? How does this make Jing-Mei feel?
2. How does Jing-Mei’s mother respond when Jing-Mei refuses to practice piano after the talent show?
3. How does Jing-Mei describe her life as she passed from childhood to adulthood? In what ways does she say she disappointed her mother?
4. How does Jing-Mei describe her relationship to the piano after her fallout with her mother after the talent show?
5. What happens when Suyuan Woo quizzes her daughter on country capitals? What other activities does she test out on Jing-Mei when she is young?
6. How does Jing-Mei respond to her mother’s news that she will be taking piano lessons?
7. How does Jing-Mei describe Mr. Chong’s history in music? How does she describe her first lessons?
8. What does Jing-Mei overhear her mother saying about her to Auntie Lindo midway through the story?
9. How do the subjects and themes in Amy Tan’s works relate to those of other Asian American authors?
10. How does Jing-Mei describe Mr. Chong when she begins piano lessons with him? What does she secretly nickname him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of “Two Kinds” and examine the population, culture, and history of San Francisco’s Chinatown. How large is this neighborhood in the city? How diverse is its population? How did Chinatown differ in the 1950s from today?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss the elements of narrative style in “Two Kinds.” Is the story related in the past, present or future tense? Is the story told from a first, second, or third person narrator? Is the narrator involved in the action? Examine the different reasons the author may have chosen this style. What do you think it adds to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Suyuan Woo’s idolization of Shirley Temple in “Two Kinds.” What did Shirley Temple symbolize to the American people (and others) during the Great Depression? Why does she hope for her daughter to share these qualities? How does she go about molding Jing-Mei after Shirley Temple?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)