|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of her childhood and the ambitions that Jing-Mei and her mother felt for her at this time, she says in the beginning of the story, “In all of my imaginings, I was filled with a sense that I would soon become” what?
2. How long ago has Jing-Mei’s mother died when she sends the tuner to recondition the piano at the end of the story?
3. What similarity does Amy Tan share with Jing-Mei from “Two Kinds”?
4. “Two Kinds” is a short story that was initially published in what periodical in February 1989?
5. How does Jing-Mei say her academic career ended in “Two Kinds”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What “transformation” does Jing-Mei undergo while looking into the mirror as a child?
2. What does Jing-Mei discover about Mr. Chong’s disabilities as she studies with him? How does this discovery influence her actions?
3. What offer does Jing-Mei’s mother make her approaching Jing-Mei’s thirtieth birthday?
4. What theme connects “Two Kinds” to the other stories in The Joy Luck Club?
5. How do Suyuan Woo’s actions in the story encourage the wrong responses from her daughter? What effects does this have on Jing-Mei?
6. How do the subjects and themes in Amy Tan’s works relate to those of other Asian American authors?
7. What cultural similarities can be seen between the author’s childhood and that of Jing-Mei in “Two Kinds”?
8. What discovery does Jing-Mei make regarding the song she played at the talent show in the end of the story?
9. What does Jing-Mei overhear her mother and Auntie Lindo talking about after she’s studied piano for a year?
10. How does Jing-Mei describe her life as she passed from childhood to adulthood? In what ways does she say she disappointed her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ed Sullivan, Ginny Tiu and Edvard Grieg. How influential was The Ed Sullivan Show on the culture of America during the time that it aired? Who was Ginny Tiu and how does her image factor into the story? What music does Ginny Tiu play on the show and how does Jing-Mei’s mother respond?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the conflict between Jing-Mei and Suyuan Woo regarding Jing-Mei’s piano lessons in the narrative. How does Jing-Mei respond to her mother’s news that she has arranged for lessons? Why does Suyuan slap Jing-Mei? How does Jing-Mei respond?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of “regret” seen in Jing-Mei following the fight with her mother after the talent show. Why does Jing-Mei regret the things that she said to her mother? How does this conflict in the story effectively change their mother-daughter relationship forever?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)