|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does Jing-Mei’s mother make about the young piano prodigy that she watches on The Ed Sullivan Show?
2. During what years did The Ed Sullivan Show air on television?
3. Of what ethnicity is the little girl on The Ed Sullivan Show that Jing-Mei and her mother watch playing piano?
4. When her mother offered to give her the piano for her birthday, Jing-Mei says she saw this action as what?
5. When Jing-Mei argues with her mother over piano practice after the talent show, she says, “As I said these things I got scared. I felt like” what were “crawling out of my chest”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Waverly Jong make to Jing-Mei after her performance at the talent show? How does this make Jing-Mei feel?
2. How does Jing-Mei describe Mr. Chong when she begins piano lessons with him? What does she secretly nickname him?
3. How do the subjects and themes in Amy Tan’s works relate to those of other Asian American authors?
4. Why do you think the author chose to set the story (and the others in The Joy Luck Club) in San Francisco?
5. How does Jing-Mei describe her relationship to the piano after her fallout with her mother after the talent show?
6. How does Jing-Mei’s mother look after her performance at the talent show? What does Jing-Mei think as she watches the following performances?
7. How does Suyuan Woo go about discovering her daughter’s “genius” in the beginning of the story?
8. How do Jing-Mei’s feelings about her mother’s ambitions begin to change early in the story? What causes her feelings to change?
9. How does Suyuan Woo develop and maintain her sense of identity in the story?
10. How does the narrative style in “Two Kinds” shift throughout the story? Why does it shift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the genre and tone of the story. Define these terms in your response and discuss how “Two Kinds” could be categorized into different genres. How does the author establish the tone of the story in the first pages?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Lindo Jong in “Two Kinds.” How well do Jing-Mei and her mother know Lindo? What kind of relationship does Suyuan Woo have with this friend? How do the Woos feel about the Jong family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Jing-Mei Woo in “Two Kinds.” How old is Jing-Mei when the narrative begins with her mother’s discussion of child prodigies? Does Jing-Mei comment on the action of the story or does she relate it objectively? How does this reveal her character? How does Jing-Mei change in the course of the story?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)