|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jing-Mei’s mother asks her for the capital of Finland, Jing-Mei responds with the capital of what country in the beginning of the story?
2. At the end of the story, Jing-Mei says, “After I had the piano tuned, I opened the lid and touched the keys.” How does she say it sounded?
3. Jing-Mei says that her mother offered to give her the piano for her birthday when she turned how old?
4. Jing-Mei says in the end of the story that she had never asked her mother about her hope, “And that even worse, I never asked her what frightened me the most”. What is the question that so frightened Jing-Mei?
5. What musical term from Jing-Mei’s piano lessons means characterized by abruptness and disconnectedness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jing-Mei overhear her mother and Auntie Lindo talking about after she’s studied piano for a year?
2. In what ways does Suyuan Woo lack in communication with her daughter in the beginning of the story?
3. How does Suyuan Woo go about discovering her daughter’s “genius” in the beginning of the story?
4. How does the central conflict of the story begin to manifest in Jing-Mei’s mind following her revelation in the mirror?
5. How does Jing-Mei describe the process of playing scales for Mr. Chong?
6. What comment does Waverly Jong make to Jing-Mei after her performance at the talent show? How does this make Jing-Mei feel?
7. How does Jing-Mei respond to her mother’s comment about her to Auntie Lindo? What foreshadowing follows this scene?
8. When does Jing-Mei’s mother first introduce to her the concept of a child prodigy?
9. What arrangement is made between Suyuan Woo and Mr. Chong in regards to Jing-Mei’s piano study and practice?
10. What discovery does Jing-Mei make regarding the song she played at the talent show in the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of “regret” seen in Jing-Mei following the fight with her mother after the talent show. Why does Jing-Mei regret the things that she said to her mother? How does this conflict in the story effectively change their mother-daughter relationship forever?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the conflict between Jing-Mei and Suyuan Woo regarding Jing-Mei’s piano lessons in the narrative. How does Jing-Mei respond to her mother’s news that she has arranged for lessons? Why does Suyuan slap Jing-Mei? How does Jing-Mei respond?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the ambitions that Jing-Mei might have pursued as a child if her mother had not attempted to mold her into her own ambitions. What subjects does Jing-Mei profess interest in? In what ways might her mother have attempted to pursue these interests for her daughter?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)