|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of the families from the Joy Luck Club that come up to Jing-Mei’s mother and father after Jing-Mei’s performance at the talent show?
(a) The Woos, the Lees, and the Wilsons
(b) The Hsus, the Jongs, and the St. Clairs
(c) The Tsings, the Lees and the Hsus
(d) The Yus, the Tsings, and the Lees
2. When Jing-Mei has a revelation while staring at herself in the bathroom mirror as a child, she says, “I had new thoughts, willful thoughts, or rather thoughts willed with lots of” what?
3. In what year did the film Bright Eyes bring Shirley Temple international fame?
4. After Jing-Mei’s mother tells her that she has enrolled her in piano lessons, Jing-Mei says, “When my mother told me this, I felt as though I had been” what?
(a) Given a kingdom
(b) Sent to heaven
(c) Sent to hell
(d) Swept under the rug
5. Jing-Mei describes the girl playing piano on The Ed Sullivan Show as having the sauciness of whom?
(a) Peter Pan
(b) John Wayne
(c) Shirley Temple
(d) Little Orphan Annie
Short Answer Questions
1. At the talent show where Jing-Mei makes her piano debut, she describes an eleven-year-old boy who won first prize for what performance?
2. What musical term in the story refers to the sounding of notes in a chord in rapid succession instead of simultaneously?”
3. What composition does the piano prodigy play by Edvard Grieg on The Ed Sullivan Show as Jing-Mei and her mother watch?
4. Examine the following sentence from the narrative: “I kept thinking my fingers would adjust themselves back, like a train switching to the right track.” What literary device is used in this example?
5. What is symbolized by the second song that Jing-Mei finds in her piano workbook at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What innovations in literary style is Amy Tan known for?
2. What does Jing-Mei find when she takes her bow after her performance at the talent show?
3. How does Jing-Mei respond to her mother’s offer on her thirtieth birthday?
4. How does Suyuan Woo go about discovering her daughter’s “genius” in the beginning of the story?
5. How does Jing-Mei describe the piece she is to play at the talent show? How does she describe her practice for the performance?
6. How does Jing-Mei respond to her mother’s news that she will be taking piano lessons?
7. What does Jing-Mei describe doing every night with her mother at the kitchen table as a child in the beginning of the story?
8. How does Jing-Mei’s mother respond when Jing-Mei refuses to practice piano after the talent show?
9. How does Jing-Mei describe the piano at her parents’ house when she returns following her mother’s death?
10. How does Jing-Mei describe Mr. Chong when she begins piano lessons with him? What does she secretly nickname him?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)