|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jing-Mei say she put her mother’s jewelry in after her death at the end of the story?
(a) Special silk pouches
(b) A box made of tin
(c) A bank vault
(d) A post office box
2. Who is the only person applauding when Jing-Mei looks up from her curtsy at the talent show?
(a) Jing-Mei’s mother
(b) Jing-Mei’s father
(c) Auntie Lindo
(d) Mr. Chong
3. Jing-Mei’s mother tells her when Jing-Mei resists taking piano lessons, “Who ask you be genius? Only ask you be” what?
(a) Your best
4. Jing-Mei describes the girl playing piano on The Ed Sullivan Show as having the sauciness of whom?
(a) John Wayne
(b) Peter Pan
(c) Little Orphan Annie
(d) Shirley Temple
5. What musical term from the story refers to a composition for one or two instruments, typically comprised of three or four movements in contrasting forms and keys?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-Mei soon learns after beginning her piano lessons with Mr. Chong that he is deaf. He compares himself to what composer, saying “We’re both listening only in our head”?
2. How does Jing-Mei describe Mr. Chong’s eyes as always looking when she began piano lessons with him?
3. Why does Jing-Mei say she sent a tuner to recondition the piano at her parents’ house?
4. How many days have passed since Jing-Mei and her mother watched The Ed Sullivan Show when Jing-Mei’s mother tells her that she will be taking piano lessons?
5. When Jing-Mei’s mother still lived in China, her husband was serving as an officer where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jing-Mei describe the process of playing scales for Mr. Chong?
2. How does Suyuan Woo develop and maintain her sense of identity in the story?
3. How does Jing-Mei describe her performance at the talent show?
4. How does Jing-Mei describe Mr. Chong’s history in music? How does she describe her first lessons?
5. How does Suyuan Woo go about discovering her daughter’s “genius” in the beginning of the story?
6. How does Jing-Mei describe the piano at her parents’ house when she returns following her mother’s death?
7. What innovations in literary style is Amy Tan known for?
8. How does Jing-Mei feel as she prepares to perform at the talent show?
9. What does Jing-Mei overhear her mother and Auntie Lindo talking about after she’s studied piano for a year?
10. What do the Schumann songs at the end of the story represent symbolically?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)