|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the little girl on The Ed Sullivan Show that Jing-Mei and her mother watch playing piano?
2. How long ago has Jing-Mei’s mother died when she sends the tuner to recondition the piano at the end of the story?
(a) A few years ago
(b) A few months ago
(c) A year ago
(d) A week ago
3. What does Jing-Mei say she put the sweaters her mother knitted in after she died in the end of the story?
(a) A garbage bag
(b) Moth-proof boxes
(c) A wooden chest
(d) An air-tight bag
4. What does Jing-Mei respond to her mother on the phone when her mother offers her the piano for her birthday and says, “You could been genius if you wanted to”?
(a) I love you
(b) I wish I’d known then
(c) Yes, I know
(d) No I couldn’t
5. Of Auntie Lindo’s daughter, Jing-Mei says “We had grown up together and shared all the closeness of two sisters squabbling over crayons and dolls. In other words, for the most part, we” what?
(a) Loved each other
(b) Envied each other
(c) Pestered each other
(d) Hated each other
6. What is symbolized by the second song that Jing-Mei finds in her piano workbook at the end of the story?
(a) The inner peace she’s found in her life
(b) The love she had for her father
(c) Her mother’s ambitions for her
(d) The inner anguish she suffered as a child
7. At the talent show where Jing-Mei makes her piano debut, she describes an eleven-year-old boy who won first prize for what performance?
(a) A mime act
(b) A piano solo
(c) A violin solo
(d) A comedic monologue
8. Jing-Mei says that as a child “sometimes the prodigy in me became impatient.” What did Jing-Mei’s inner prodigy tell her at this time?
(a) Tell her to stop making you do this. This is taking forever
(b) I’m dying of boredom. When are we going to do something fun?
(c) If you don’t hurry up and get me out of here, I’m disappearing for good
(d) If I’m not on stage in a year, I’ll never get there
9. What does Jing-Mei say she never really did while she practiced for her talent show?
(a) Connect with the music that flowed through her
(b) Think about anything other than the music
(c) Worry about how she looked while playing
(d) Listened to what she was playing
10. Jing-Mei is to play a song from what Schumann opus at the talent show?
(a) Flower Piece
(b) Album for the Young
(d) Scenes from Childhood
11. As Jing-Mei sits down to begin her piano solo at the talent show, she envisions whom rushing up to introduce her to everyone on TV?
(a) James Dean
(b) Johnny Carson
(c) Bob Newhart
(d) Ed Sullivan
12. How long ago does Jing-Mei say she sent a tuner to her parents’ apartment to recondition the piano at the end of the story?
(a) A month ago
(b) Two days ago
(c) A year ago
(d) A week ago
13. When Jing-Mei argues with her mother over piano practice after the talent show, she says, “As I said these things I got scared. I felt like” what were “crawling out of my chest”?
(a) The living dead and all my past
(b) Worms and toads and slimy things
(c) Phantoms and ghosts and darkness
(d) Demons and beasts and dragons
14. What does Jing-Mei do with the Chinese silk dresses she finds when sorting through her mother’s things at the end of the story?
(a) She gives them to her sister
(b) She gives them to her father
(c) She takes them home with her
(d) She sells them
15. When was the Chinese Exclusion Act signed into law?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jing-Mei’s mother asks her for the capital of Finland, Jing-Mei responds with the capital of what country in the beginning of the story?
2. What does Jing-Mei promise herself when she has the revelation while staring in the bathroom mirror as a child?
3. Jing-Mei says to her mother as they argue over piano practice after the talent show, “I’ll never be the kind of daughter you want me to be!” Her mother responds, “Only two kinds of daughters.” What are these two kinds?
4. At what time does Jing-Mei’s mother insist that Jing-Mei begin her piano practice following the talent show fiasco?
5. Jing-Mei describes Mr. Chong when she began piano lessons with him as “very strange, always tapping his fingers to the silent music of” what?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)