|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jing-Mei describes her mother having given her a Bible page to study and then report everything she could remember when she was a child. What does Jing-Mei tell her mother is all she can recall from the passage?
(a) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
(b) For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith
(c) Now Jehoshaphat had riches and honor in abundance
(d) And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose
2. Edvard Grieg was a composer and pianist from what country?
3. What literary term refers to a short impressionistic scene that focuses on one moment or gives a trenchant impression about a character, idea, setting, or object?
4. What does Jing-Mei’s mother trade with Mr. Chong so that Jing-Mei may take piano lessons from him?
(a) Home-cooked meals
(b) Dog-walking services
(c) Housecleaning services
(d) Medical advice
5. What refers to circular toys that are twirled around the waist, and that some of the children used at the talent show when Jing-Mei made her piano debut?
(a) Juggling balls
(b) Jump ropes
(d) Hula Hoops
6. What sensation does Jing-Mei describe as she begins hitting one wrong note after another during the talent show?
(a) A burning sensation in my heart and then an inability to breathe
(b) I felt a wave of terror and then everything went black
(c) A chill started at the top of my head and began to trickle down
(d) A shiver of excitement started in my hands and spread up my arms
7. What does Jing-Mei say she put her mother’s jewelry in after her death at the end of the story?
(a) Special silk pouches
(b) A box made of tin
(c) A post office box
(d) A bank vault
8. Who performs first at the talent show where Jing-Mei makes her piano debut?
(a) The youngest children
(b) The oldest children
(c) The trombone players
(d) The adults
9. Who founded the Ripley’s Believe It or Not franchise?
(a) Robert Ripley
(b) James Ripley
(c) Alexander Ripley
(d) George Ripley
10. What color dress does Jing-Mei wear for her piano debut at the talent show?
11. How many hours a day does Jing-Mei have access to the piano at Mr. Chong’s for practice when she first begins taking lessons?
12. What does Jing-Mei do with the Chinese silk dresses she finds when sorting through her mother’s things at the end of the story?
(a) She takes them home with her
(b) She gives them to her sister
(c) She gives them to her father
(d) She sells them
13. During what years did The Ed Sullivan Show air on television?
14. Where does Jing-Mei live while growing up?
(a) Los Angeles, California
(b) Sacramento, California
(c) Oakland, California
(d) San Francisco, California
15. Where does Jing-Mei describe the piano as standing in her parents’ living room at the end of the story?
(a) In front of the television
(b) In front of the door to the kitchen
(c) In front of the bay windows
(d) In front of the staircase
Short Answer Questions
1. Jing-Mei says that during her childhood, the tests her mother gave her “got harder—multiplying numbers in my head, finding” what card in a deck of cards?
2. What does Auntie Lindo’s daughter say matter-of-factly to Jing-Mei after her performance at the talent show?
3. How does Jing-Mei describe the Schumann piece that she was to play at the talent show?
4. When Jing-Mei’s mother enrolls her in piano lessons, Jing-Mei says, “I can’t play the piano. And even if I could, I wouldn’t” what?
5. Which of the following is a major theme throughout “Two Kinds”?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)