|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jing-Mei say she mostly did do while she was practicing her music for the talent show?
(a) Listened to all the errors she made
(b) Daydreamed about being elsewhere
(c) Practiced her scales and chords
(d) Focused on the keys she was playing
2. As Jing-Mei sits down to begin her piano solo at the talent show, she envisions whom rushing up to introduce her to everyone on TV?
(a) Ed Sullivan
(b) Bob Newhart
(c) James Dean
(d) Johnny Carson
3. In the 1993 film adaptation of The Joy Luck Club, what actress played the role of Jing-Mei?
(a) Tsai Chin
(b) Tamlyn Tomita
(c) Ming-Na Wen
(d) Kieu Chinh
4. What musical term, taught by Mr. Chong to Jing-Mei in their lessons, means pertaining to the highest part in harmonized music?
5. What does Jing-Mei kick under her feet as her mother drags her to the piano for practice after the talent show?
(a) Throw rugs
(b) The cat
(c) The piano bench
(d) The bedspread
6. What is Jing-Mei doing on the day when her mother insists she go practice at the piano after the talent show fiasco?
(a) Writing in her journal
(b) Calling a friend
(c) Listening to the radio
(d) Watching TV
7. What is the name of Auntie Lindo’s daughter in the story?
8. What does Jing-Mei’s mother trade with Mr. Chong so that Jing-Mei may take piano lessons from him?
(a) Medical advice
(b) Dog-walking services
(c) Housecleaning services
(d) Home-cooked meals
9. When the instructor of the beauty school has to cut off Jing-Mei’s hair because of the bad perm, she tells Jing-Mei’s mother that what play is very popular these days?
(a) Guys and Dolls
(b) Peter Pan
(c) Little Orphan Annie
10. What does Jing-Mei’s mother die from?
(b) A car accident
(d) A brain aneurysm
11. The majority of the narrative of “Two Kind” is related in what tense?
(a) Future-possessive tense
(b) Present tense
(c) Past tense
(d) Future tense
12. How does Jing-Mei describe the look on her mother’s face when Jing-Mei looks up from her curtsey after her piano solo in the talent show?
13. Jing-Mei describes the sound of the “bellows of the foghorns out on the bay” as sounding like what?
(a) The sound of my fury
(b) The sound of whales crying
(c) The cow jumping over the moon
(d) The bellows of a church horn
14. When Jing-Mei stands up after playing her piano solo at the talent show, she realizes what are shaking?
(a) Her shoulders
(b) Her hands
(c) Her ribs
(d) Her legs
15. When does Jing-Mei say her mother came to America?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jing-Mei’s mother enrolls her in piano lessons, Jing-Mei says, “I can’t play the piano. And even if I could, I wouldn’t” what?
2. How old is the boy at the talent show that is described as wearing a fake moustache and doing a magic show?
3. Jing-Mei says that her mother offered to give her the piano for her birthday when she turned how old?
4. What composition does the piano prodigy play by Edvard Grieg on The Ed Sullivan Show as Jing-Mei and her mother watch?
5. What college does Jing-Mei say she didn’t get into, causing more disappointment for her mother?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)