|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the film Bright Eyes bring Shirley Temple international fame?
2. How does Jing-Mei describe the Schumann piece that she was to play at the talent show?
(a) It was a textured piece that showed off skills that I didn’t even have
(b) It was a strong and powerful piece, one that I loved
(c) It was a simple, moody piece that sounded more difficult than it was
(d) It was a difficult, multi-layered piece that sounded less difficult than it was
3. How many mothers comprise the Joy Luck Club in the story?
4. From what opera does Jing-Mei describe the “breasted girl with white makeup” singing from at the talent show?
(a) Guys and Dolls
(b) The Phantom of the Opera
(c) Madame Butterfly
(d) Les Miserables
5. What does Jing-Mei’s mother die from?
(b) A brain aneurysm
(c) A car accident
6. Jing-Mei’s mother tells her when Jing-Mei resists taking piano lessons, “Who ask you be genius? Only ask you be” what?
(b) Your best
7. How does Jing-Mei say her academic career ended in “Two Kinds”?
(a) She dropped out of college
(b) She earned a law degree
(c) She earned a master’s degree
(d) She earned a bachelor’s degree
8. How does Jing-Mei say she felt when her time to perform her piano solo at the talent show came?
(a) I was worried
(b) I was terrified
(c) I was very confident
(d) I was scared, but hopeful
9. Of her mother’s ambitions and her own as a child, Jing-Mei says, “I was like the Christ child lifted out of the straw manger, crying with” what?
(a) Bitter contempt
(b) Holy agony
(c) Holy indignity
(d) Judicious rage
10. How many hours a day does Jing-Mei have access to the piano at Mr. Chong’s for practice when she first begins taking lessons?
11. At what time does Jing-Mei have access to Mr. Chong’s piano for her daily practice sessions when she begins studying with him?
(a) 6:00-9:00 p.m.
(b) 4:00-6:00 p.m.
(c) 2:00-6:00 p.m.
(d) 3:00-5:00 p.m.
12. What color does Jing-Mei say her mother knitted sweaters in, which were also “all the colors I hated”?
(a) Blue, red, and silver
(b) Green, blue, and yellow
(c) Yellow, pink, and orange
(d) Red, white, and black
13. Jing-Mei describes her mother having given her a Bible page to study and then report everything she could remember when she was a child. What does Jing-Mei tell her mother is all she can recall from the passage?
(a) For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith
(b) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
(c) Now Jehoshaphat had riches and honor in abundance
(d) And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose
14. Jing-Mei describes the girl playing piano on The Ed Sullivan Show as taking a fancy sweep of a curtsy so that the fluffy skirt of her “dress cascaded slowly to the floor like the petals of” what?
(a) A large carnation
(b) A giant rose
(c) A large orchid
(d) A giant daisy
15. How does Jing-Mei’s mother respond when Jing-Mei throws a fit when she’s told she’ll be taking piano lessons?
(a) She laughs at her
(b) She weeps
(c) She calls her father
(d) She slaps her
Short Answer Questions
1. Of Auntie Lindo, Jing-Mei’s mother says in the beginning of the story, “Her daughter, she is only best” what?
2. One of the tests that Jing-Mei’s mother gave her as she attempted to lure out the prodigy in her daughter was predicting the daily temperatures in what three cities?
3. Who does Jing-Mei tell her mother she wishes she were like as they argue about piano practice after the talent show?
4. Describing her mother’s reaction to her hurtful words, Jing-Mei says, “she backed out of the room, stunned, as if she were blowing away like” what?
5. Jing-Mei says that as a child “sometimes the prodigy in me became impatient.” What did Jing-Mei’s inner prodigy tell her at this time?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)