|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kinds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jing-Mei’s mother tell her on the phone that she has when offering her the piano for her birthday?
(a) Lots of money
(b) Practiced skill
(c) Natural talent
(d) Children who might want to learn
2. Jing-Mei describes the sound of the “bellows of the foghorns out on the bay” as sounding like what?
(a) The bellows of a church horn
(b) The sound of whales crying
(c) The sound of my fury
(d) The cow jumping over the moon
3. How does Jing-Mei say her academic career ended in “Two Kinds”?
(a) She dropped out of college
(b) She earned a bachelor’s degree
(c) She earned a master’s degree
(d) She earned a law degree
4. Of Auntie Lindo’s daughter, Jing-Mei says “We had grown up together and shared all the closeness of two sisters squabbling over crayons and dolls. In other words, for the most part, we” what?
(a) Envied each other
(b) Hated each other
(c) Loved each other
(d) Pestered each other
5. What is Auntie Lindo’s last name in the story?
(a) St. Clair
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Jing-Mei say she practiced piano with Mr. Chong before she overheard her mother and Auntie Lindo bragging about their children?
2. Jing-Mei says of Mr. Chong when she began piano lessons that “he must have been younger than I thought, since he” what?
3. Examine the following sentence from the narrative: “I kept thinking my fingers would adjust themselves back, like a train switching to the right track.” What literary device is used in this example?
4. How many hours a day does Jing-Mei have access to the piano at Mr. Chong’s for practice when she first begins taking lessons?
5. Jing-Mei says to her mother as they argue over piano practice after the talent show, “I’ll never be the kind of daughter you want me to be!” Her mother responds, “Only two kinds of daughters.” What are these two kinds?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)