|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kinds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jing-Mei describe the piano as standing in her parents’ living room at the end of the story?
(a) In front of the staircase
(b) In front of the door to the kitchen
(c) In front of the bay windows
(d) In front of the television
2. When was author Amy Tan born?
3. After Jing-Mei’s hair debacle where it was cut off like a boy’s, what statement does she make about her feelings of the haircut?
(a) I hated the haircut and it made me feel like I would never live up to my mother’s expectations
(b) I liked the haircut and it made me actually look forward to my future fame
(c) I liked the haircut and felt like I would now no longer be bullied in school
(d) I thought the haircut made me look like a villain from a Disney movie
4. For how long does Jing-Mei say she practiced piano with Mr. Chong before she overheard her mother and Auntie Lindo bragging about their children?
(a) 5 months
(b) 2 years
(c) 4 weeks
(d) 1 year
5. What word from the story means to play music with a vibratory or quavering effect?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours a day does Jing-Mei have access to the piano at Mr. Chong’s for practice when she first begins taking lessons?
2. In the 1993 film adaptation of The Joy Luck Club, what actress played the role of Jing-Mei?
3. What is the name of Auntie Lindo’s daughter in the story?
4. In what year did the film Bright Eyes bring Shirley Temple international fame?
5. Where did Jing-Mei’s mother abandon her first children, hoping for them to become adopted?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)