|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kinds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jing-Mei argues with her mother over piano practice after the talent show, she says, “As I said these things I got scared. I felt like” what were “crawling out of my chest”?
(a) Worms and toads and slimy things
(b) Phantoms and ghosts and darkness
(c) The living dead and all my past
(d) Demons and beasts and dragons
2. What does Jing-Mei say she put her mother’s jewelry in after her death at the end of the story?
(a) A box made of tin
(b) A bank vault
(c) A post office box
(d) Special silk pouches
3. Jing-Mei says in the beginning of the story that at first her mother thought she could be a Chinese Shirley Temple. “We’d watch Shirley’s old movies on TV as though they were” what?
(a) Golden cinema
(b) Educational television
(c) Training films
(d) Horror movies
4. What answer does Jing-Mei give when her mother asks her early in the story, “What’s the capital of Finland?”
5. How long ago does Jing-Mei say she sent a tuner to her parents’ apartment to recondition the piano at the end of the story?
(a) A week ago
(b) A year ago
(c) Two days ago
(d) A month ago
Short Answer Questions
1. What color dress does Jing-Mei describe the girl wearing that she watches playing piano on The Ed Sullivan Show with her mother?
2. What does Jing-Mei wear in her hair at the talent show?
3. When Jing-Mei and her mother get into an argument about Jing-Mei beginning piano lessons, Jing-Mei’s mother exclaims, “If she had as much talent as she has temper, she would be” what?
4. How does Jing-Mei describe her family’s television at the time when her mother watched The Ed Sullivan Show?
5. Jing-Mei describes the girl playing piano on The Ed Sullivan Show as taking a fancy sweep of a curtsy so that the fluffy skirt of her “dress cascaded slowly to the floor like the petals of” what?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)