|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kinds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jing-Mei say Mr. Chong would balance on her wrists as she practiced piano so that she would keep them still?
2. When the instructor of the beauty school has to cut off Jing-Mei’s hair because of the bad perm, she tells Jing-Mei’s mother that what play is very popular these days?
(a) Little Orphan Annie
(c) Guys and Dolls
(d) Peter Pan
3. What is the name of Jing-Mei’s mother in “Two Kinds”?
(a) An-Mei Hsu
(b) Lindo Jong
(c) Suyuan Woo
(d) Wu-Tsing Hsu
4. Who performs first at the talent show where Jing-Mei makes her piano debut?
(a) The adults
(b) The oldest children
(c) The trombone players
(d) The youngest children
5. What does the piano symbolize in “Two Kinds”?
(a) Jing-Mei’s belief in a higher spiritual being
(b) Jing-Mei’s love for her father
(c) Jing-Mei’s mother’s ambitions for her
(d) Jing-Mei’s longing for cultural resonance
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Chong and Jing-Mei’s mother conspire to have Jing-Mei perform in a talent show held where in the story?
2. How does Jing-Mei describe the Schumann piece that she was to play at the talent show?
3. How does Jing-Mei say she felt every time she saw the piano in her parents’ living room at the end of the story?
4. What does Jing-Mei’s mother tell her she looks like after she’s been given a bad perm at the beauty school?
5. Jing-Mei says in the end of the story that “unlike my mother, I did not believe I could” what?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)